homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » One Atonement (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: One Atonement
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
...A plain reading of the text is that anyone in trouble is brethren of the Lord - and that is supported by the breadth of teaching in the NT.

Indeed, and does anyone seriously suppose otherwise?

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again Jamat shows that he doesn't realize his interpretation of Scripture is an interpretation.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but he loves it, he bloody loves it, the prima donna. This man is Oscar Fingle O'Flaherty Wilde reincarnate. Take a bow JAMAT! I'll deal with you after the Côtes-du-Rhône-Village's worn off my little pack of cards.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
So mr cheesy's theological lens needs adjusting whilst you have 20/20 lenses in your frames, Jamat?

Gamaliel, your comment betrays defensiveness. Nothing you or others have posted here has really impacted me to think differently about the atonement. You strongly imply in all your comments concerning my views that this is because I have an entrenched position and a fortress mentality. You on the other hand once had that but have moved on. Now you are more tolerant and open to new ideas..

However, what about truth? What about the pearl of great price? What about having found a basis of hope and a living experience of Christ many years ago, should I now allow the collective 'wisdom' here to tell me,'No, you do not really know the Lord! the gospel is not what you have known believed and lived for 40 years, Jesus didn't really deal with your sins on the cross'.
Well, would you?

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BUGGER! Oscar Fingle O'Flaherty WILLES Wilde.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Yeah, but he loves it, he bloody loves it, the prima donna. This man is Oscar Fingle O'Flaherty Wilde reincarnate. Take a bow JAMAT! I'll deal with you after the Côtes-du-Rhône-Village's worn off my little pack of cards.

What I love Martin, is not my interpretation, and it is not about what I love but what I hate and that is the lies people believe that I know are lies. By the way I loved the importance of being Earnest. I think my favourite character was lady Bracknell..all about Victorian control.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Once again Jamat shows that he doesn't realize his interpretation of Scripture is an interpretation.

I do but..
so is the interpretation of the RCC and Orthodox. The fact that interpretation is a necessary function of distilling meaning from text, does not mean all interpretation is correct obviously and nor does it mean that an interpretation is incorrect. The question is more whether you find truth in consensus or whether you privilege one interpretation above another because of expertise or experience or another reason.

[ 27. May 2017, 01:38: Message edited by: Jamat ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. In this quote you show that you think your interpretation is so perfect, that people who disagree with you are definitively wrong.

quote:
It is entirely reasonable to conclude Jesus was referring to the Jewish nation here. If one's theological lens doesn't like that then maybe that lens needs adjusting.
You accuse us of eisegesis, then read THIS into Matthew 25:

quote:
as you say, the 'gentile' nations, all separated into their various people groups who answer for the way they have treated the Lord's original people group..the Jews.
There is NOTHING in the text about being separated into various people groups. Nothing at all. You made that up out of whole cloth to suit your desired interpretation.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
No. In this quote you show that you think your interpretation is so perfect, that people who disagree with you are definitively wrong.

quote:
It is entirely reasonable to conclude Jesus was referring to the Jewish nation here. If one's theological lens doesn't like that then maybe that lens needs adjusting.
You accuse us of eisegesis, then read THIS into Matthew 25:

quote:
as you say, the 'gentile' nations, all separated into their various people groups who answer for the way they have treated the Lord's original people group..the Jews.
There is NOTHING in the text about being separated into various people groups. Nothing at all. You made that up out of whole cloth to suit your desired interpretation.

As usual, this comes down to semantics viz: does the word gentiles denote nations and does the word nations denote people groups. I say this is self evident but as you are a semantic nazi, you will disagee. At best, we could call a draw on this one but IMV the meanings are self evidently denotative not connotative. Your view suggests the latter consequently it is eisigetical, mine, not so.

[ 27. May 2017, 02:13: Message edited by: Jamat ]

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Semantic nazi? Are you fucking serious?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sigh) ...

Look Jamat, for some rest you cling to this binary line that insists that if I suggest you loosen your highly taut position I am somehow trying to to dissuade you that Christ died on the cross and rose again for your salvation.

I have said no such thing nor have I ever called into question the authenticity of your conversion or your faith.

You seem to regard Truth as some kind of razor's edge about a nanometre wide. The slightest tilt or variation in understanding from your knife-edge and highly literal, polarised and binary position is sufficient to send one toppling into an abyss of unbelief and relativity.

If you take offence at what you mistakenly see as an attempt on my part to undermine your faith and trust in Christ, then I am far more entitled to take offence at your baseless implied accusation that I am not at all interested in the Truth.

Of course I am. I have iterated time and again that I am more than happy to nail my colours to the mast on all manner of issues - predominantly the core doctrines of historic, creedal Christianity that overlap across all Christian traditions.

When it comes to the atonement, there are clearly different understandings of that, some of them contradictory, some of them complementary. It's not me who is being defensive here. I'm comfortable enough in my own skin and within the broad corpus and consensus of received tradition to explore, question and discuss these issues without playing the 'You aren't a true believer' card which you seem to have threatened to use on occasion.

I am actually quite conservative in theology. I am not a fundamentalist.

Fundamentalist faith is brittle. It snaps. There is insufficient stretch and elasticity in it. Of course, very liberal forms of faith do lead to forms of unbelief and disengagement - but so can fundamentalism. It snaps.

When it snaps it leaves a vacuum. It can lead to atheism.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
When [fundamentalism] snaps it leaves a vacuum. It can lead to atheism.

Andrew Squiggle.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
mr cheesy...A plain reading of the text is that anyone in trouble is brethren of the Lord - and that is supported by the breadth of teaching in the NT.

Aginjib: Indeed, and does anyone seriously suppose otherwise?

The trick is not to suppose anything, but to try and tease out the meaning of a text in as detached a way as possible. Furthermore, mr cheesy's defence based on “the breadth of teaching in the NT”, I would suggest, is problematic because it elides any distinction between differing strands, especially the eschatological and the rest. Often meanings that seem obvious become less so on second or more readings. IMO this is one of those texts where the meaning is at least ambiguous. Mr cheesy seems to think my suggestion that “the brethren” is a reference to the disciples is somewhat eccentric, but it is one held by not a few New Testament scholars.

The argument is that the context of this text begins at the start of Matthew 24 and ends at the conclusion of Matthew 25. The discussion is not about ethical living, who is my neighbour and so on, which might be associated with the Sermon on the Mount or the Good Samaritan, and addressed to a disparate group of listeners, but comes in a more eschatological discourse at the crisis of Jesus’ last week, where there is a sense of impending doom. Critically, it is addressed to a small inner circle: the disciples. It is an audience where a threatened “brethren” are clearly and narrowly defined.

The passage begins with Jesus predicting to the disciples the fall of Jerusalem, and they ask him ‘privately’ when it will take place and whether there will be a sign of the latter things. Jesus replies there will be false Messiahs, wars, famines, and earthquakes as early birth pains, “Then they will hand you over to be tortured and will put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name.  Then many will fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another.” Jesus then invokes Daniel and continues in similar fashion, concluding “Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.” (Matthew 24: 1-44)

The text continues in a similar vein with parables about the need to be ready for the sudden reappearance of the master, culminating with the judgement of the nations (Matthew 25). There we have verses 40 : ” And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.;’ and verse 45: “Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ “ (NRSV) It is, therefore, not unreasonable to link the anticipated persecution of the disciples in the latter times with the judgement of the nations. I don’t assert that dogmatically, but it is a far from odd interpretations, and one I presently find the more convincing.

Perhaps this requires an airing in Kerygma, though I seem to think it has had a going over in the not too distant past.

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
The trick is not to suppose anything, but to try and tease out the meaning of a text in as detached a way as possible.

You can't do that without supposing. I suppose that (say) Luke was written by a Christian in the first century for a mainly Gentile Christian audience. This presupposition affects how I interpret the book. You absolutely cannot approach the text without presupposition. It's not just a fool's errand, it's literally impossible.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:
When [fundamentalism] snaps it leaves a vacuum. It can lead to atheism.

Andrew Squiggle.
Good grief!
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Gamaliel: fundamentalist faith is brittle. It snaps. There is insufficient stretch and elasticity in it.
Gee thanks for that insight. Guess I'm not a fundamentalist then.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The trick is not to suppose anything, but to try and tease out the meaning of a text in as detached a way as possible. Furthermore, mr cheesy's defence based on “the breadth of teaching in the NT”, I would suggest, is problematic because it elides any distinction between differing strands, especially the eschatological and the rest. Often meanings that seem obvious become less so on second or more readings. IMO this is one of those texts where the meaning is at least ambiguous. Mr cheesy seems to think my suggestion that “the brethren” is a reference to the disciples is somewhat eccentric, but it is one held by not a few New Testament scholars.

The argument is that the context of this text begins at the start of Matthew 24 and ends at the conclusion of Matthew 25. The discussion is not about ethical living, who is my neighbour and so on, which might be associated with the Sermon on the Mount or the Good Samaritan, and addressed to a disparate group of listeners, but comes in a more eschatological discourse at the crisis of Jesus’ last week, where there is a sense of impending doom. Critically, it is addressed to a small inner circle: the disciples. It is an audience where a threatened “brethren” are clearly and narrowly defined.

OK, thanks for taking the time to do this. It surprises me because I've not heard it expressed like this before, and I really thought your theology was better than this.

The first point I'd say is why are we starting at Matthew 24, why not Matthew 23 "whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted" or Matthew 22 "The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself."

I can't see that there is any particular reason to take Matthew 24 and 25 together and in isolation and therefore to draw inferences from that.

quote:
The passage begins with Jesus predicting to the disciples the fall of Jerusalem, and they ask him ‘privately’ when it will take place and whether there will be a sign of the latter things. Jesus replies there will be false Messiahs, wars, famines, and earthquakes as early birth pains, “Then they will hand you over to be tortured and will put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name.  Then many will fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another.” Jesus then invokes Daniel and continues in similar fashion, concluding “Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.” (Matthew 24: 1-44)

The text continues in a similar vein with parables about the need to be ready for the sudden reappearance of the master, culminating with the judgement of the nations (Matthew 25). There we have verses 40 : ” And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.;’ and verse 45: “Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ “ (NRSV) It is, therefore, not unreasonable to link the anticipated persecution of the disciples in the latter times with the judgement of the nations. I don’t assert that dogmatically, but it is a far from odd interpretations, and one I presently find the more convincing.

I don't think this really works even within the context of chapters 24 and 25. Immediately before the sheep and the goats is the passage about talents. One could therefore directly link those two thoughts together and say that both the sheep and the goats have been given money as opportunities to serve the poor, and the sheep have invested whilst the goats haven't.

Immediately before that is the parable of the virgins, and one might say that this is a continuation of both thoughts; that the call is for the disciples to be filled with the Holy Spirit and to spend themselves on behalf of the poor rather than thinking that they're already saved and sanctified and fit for heaven.

Further back there is stuff about the destruction of the temple and persecution of the disciples, but I don't see any particular reason why your explanation is a necessary reading of the text. I think it is a stretch.

And as I said before, I just don't think it fits with the calling of Christ. Read the way you suggest it sounds like Christ is saying:

* Persecution is coming
* You've got to be ready and persevere
* Those who hold it together until the end will be saved
* Those who help you in your distress will be rewarded, those who don't help you will be cast out

I don't accept this as the gospel message. If it was, why bother with calling "love your neighbour" a command, and then saying "those who love me keep my commands?"

If loving neighbour is anything other than the centre of the living out of the gospel - indeed the thing that provokes antagonism, hatred and persecution - but instead is some kind of an occasional byproduct, why give it as an instruction in such strong terms? If the multitudes are to be judged by how they treat the least of us (btw just the early disciples, or all Christians?) why bother with issuing a central instruction for Christianity?

I don't buy it at all, no matter how many theologians go for it.

[ 27. May 2017, 07:12: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mousethief
quote:
I suppose that (say) Luke was written by a Christian in the first century for a mainly Gentile Christian audience.
The problem is how we come to 'suppose': what do we know, and how do we know it? How secure are the foundations of our knowledge? Progress is usually made by the questioning of 'supposition'. We suppose Luke wrote the gospel when and for whom as a result of careful scholarship. There is, however, much to be said for testing those conclusions in a scientific and logical manner.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:
Gamaliel: fundamentalist faith is brittle. It snaps. There is insufficient stretch and elasticity in it.
Well, Squiggly Andrew was and look what happened to him ...

I'm not saying you're going to lose your faith the text time there's a gust of wind or an earth tremor.

But you could get back ache ...

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I should just make a comment here.

Without going to all my books, etc, I have always understood that when the Bible speaks about 'the nations' it's always as distinct from Israel/the Jews.

That said, and whilst agreeing that in the first instance of Matthew 25 recording the words of a Jew talking to Jews and those words included in a Gospel clearly intended for a Jewish readership and context (even today some of those words have no relevance for Gentiles ), I would say quite strongly that the principle of feeding the hungry, giving a drink to the thirsty, welcoming the stranger and clothing the naked, is universal and is to be followed to the letter.

I do believe that this passage initially speaks about the nations treating the disciples - by extension the Church? But I do think also that in the context of being 'grafted in' it could mean Israel herself.

Though we are to 'love our neighbour' I don't think this passage initially teaches this, though it does clearly and powerfully encourage that attitude to others and the relief of their needs in the name of Jesus.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:
quote:
Well, Squiggly Andrew was and look what happened to him ...

I'm not saying you're going to lose your faith the text time there's a gust of wind or an earth tremor.

But you could get back ache ...

I already have it. Seriously Gamaliel, I am not like Andrew at all temperamentally, poor chap, wonder what he's up to.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Aijalon:
I admit to being prone to looking at modern history through a lens that sits in the distant past, basically Sinai forward.

I did from the age of 14 to 41, from '68 to '95 and then some, under the influence of the cult I joined at 23: Herbert W. Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God.

I feel most are looking at it the other way.

Which is infinitely more natural.

I grew up very conservative, Martin, no bones about it,

I grew up chaotic, an English, lower middle class, caught in class cross-currents, grammar school boy existentially terrified of the bomb and all I could read of our dark side starting with Auschwitz from age 11. Hormones ruled in guilt and shame and fear until I crashed and burned at 22 and embraced the highly conservative cult.

but I'm not following what you're saying there on account of the vast amounts of wrathful language in the Scriptures.

I revelled in that language, in God as infallibly writ. God the Killer who paradoxically would save the vast majority of whom He slaughtered.

Okay, so I said "language". Does the wrath talk equate to a wrathful god? I suppose you are saying no. I presume we agree God hasn't changed himself over the eons, but he has changed his dealings with man via revelation and progress.

You're following me , working it out just fine. I no longer even feel that God has changed his dealings with man via revelation at all, except in Christ. We have progressed, yes. Climbed higher up the mountain. He's always waiting higher up.

How do you reconcile the wrathful events and language of scriptures with God having no wrath? I'm interested because I think I would fail in that attempt. Want to see what's up your sleeve there.

You Sir, have an engaging style. I love Americana and one would be MOST unwise to underestimate a cowboy. Or Wilfred Brimley playing a small town lawyer. I've been failing successfully for 62 years. All I got up my sleeve is postmodernism. Is that we're telling stories. We make stuff up. About God and everything. Even Jesus did. And He was … God. THAT story I believe. Utterly. Only. The story from the first circle or two of His acquaintance. And even then, I don't 'believe' the any of the other stuff they made up, their interpretations. Or second hand stuff about the circles. Like Peter being the agent of the Holy Spirit's assassination of Ananias and Sapphira. Inspired and full of goodwill in ignorance as it is. They made it ALL up. I used to believe ALL of it. That it was inspired 'in the Spirit'. I was a fundamentalist. All of that's gone. Thanks be to God in Christ, He's left, He remains.

… I grew up conservative and have since moved toward libertarian, far away from the wrathful guilt my parents and church put on me, but not off the grid.

Hmmmm. I curb my wild instinct for libertarian socialism – off the grid - for social democracy – of the grid. I find your sig intriguing. You can't possibly mean it.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:

What I love Martin, is not my interpretation, and it is not about what I love but what I hate and that is the lies people believe that I know are lies. By the way I loved the importance of being Earnest. I think my favourite character was lady Bracknell..all about Victorian control.
What lies?

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:
quote:
Gamaliel
quote:
God in his very nature isn't angry and wrathful - but that doesn't mean he is incapable of ire or righteous anger - as it were - against sin, injustice and things that cause harm ...
So, God is wrathful towards abstractions, but what about his attitude towards the perpetrators of these 'sins', 'injustices' and 'people who cause harm'? I can see his wrath towards 'terrorism' but what is his attitude towards the 'terrorist'?
I can't see His wrath at all. Ever. This side of death or the other. Only ours projected. I don't understand what purpose divine wrath could possibly serve and how it would be implemented. If God is wrathful He must follow the money. It ends up on Him.
Martin 60 You seem to be arguing from a moral compass entirely within your own head.

A bit further north than yours then.

If we do not have the Bible as a reference, we have only subjective speculation. Surely you can see that.

What's the Bible?

Romans1 [sic] mentions that God has wrath against sin and against evil caused by sin. Obviously, his wrath is not like yours or mine but if as you say you don't see it then it is because you simply refuse to. It will not go away though and one day your fingers will be forced out of your ears.

I don't see it because there's no manifestation of it, like of Him, whatsoever like any other feeling we project on Him.

Of course I do not think the victims of terrorist acts are necessarily under that wrath.

That's mighty big of you.

All that stuff is again your assumption.

Pot black.

When Jesus specifically called little children to himself, surely, he was affirming their lack of guile as well as his concern for them.

Indeed. But their older friends and relations? They're warming up quite nicely after their first five days in eternal hellfire.

--------------------
Love wins

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

mr cheesy
quote:
And as I said before, I just don't think it fits with the calling of Christ. Read the way you suggest it sounds like Christ is saying:

* Persecution is coming
* You've got to be ready and persevere
* Those who hold it together until the end will be saved
* Those who help you in your distress will be rewarded, those who don't help you will be cast out

The problem is not that I agree with this, but you have set out succinctly what Jesus is saying in this eschatological context, which seems to be at variance with other aspects of his teaching and ministry. I don't like it any more than you do, but there it is.

My own position, apart from his reference to Israel, is similar to that of Mudfrog, if I understand him correctly:

quote:
Mudfrog: I do believe that this passage initially speaks about the nations treating the disciples - by extension the Church? But I do think also that in the context of being 'grafted in' it could mean Israel herself.

Though we are to 'love our neighbour' I don't think this passage initially teaches this, though it does clearly and powerfully encourage that attitude to others and the relief of their needs in the name of Jesus.

Generally speaking, mr cheesy, you and I are on a similar page in relation to our understanding of the main thrust of the gospels, but ISTM that you a reluctant to grapple with passages that may challenge your position. Consequently, you seem to assume because I suggest “the brethren” in Matthew 25 refers specifically to the disciples that I necessary agree with the theology behind it. I don’t expect the various gospel strands to be consistent, and am comfortable to admit there are some passages I agree with more than others. To my mind the teaching and ministry of Christ do not fit easily into the more eschatological language and assumptions that characterise times of tension and crisis. Generosity to non-believers tends to be in short supply in times of persecution, as Revelation, in particular, attests.

Given that this is a thread on atonement, might we not be troubled by the Judgement of the Nations in Matthew 25? Even if we are to interpret the judgment as relating to social justice and enthusiastically accept it as binding on Christian social behaviour, do we not have a problem? How many of us can be confident that our behaviour (works) will enable us to join the sheep rather than the goats? “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me. And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life” (Matthew 25: 45-46). What sort of soteriology is this?

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don’t expect the various gospel strands to be consistent, and am comfortable to admit there are some passages I agree with more than others. To my mind the teaching and ministry of Christ do not fit easily into the more eschatological language and assumptions that characterise times of tension and crisis. Generosity to non-believers tends to be in short supply in times of persecution, as Revelation, in particular, attests.

As my sig suggests, I'm not really interested in the idea of "biblical" if the end result is bollocks. So I generally agree with your thoughts above.

quote:
Given that this is a thread on atonement, might we not be troubled by the Judgement of the Nations in Matthew 25? Even if we are to interpret the judgment as relating to social justice and enthusiastically accept it as binding on Christian social behaviour, do we not have a problem? How many of us can be confident that our behaviour (works) will enable us to join the sheep rather than the goats? “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me. And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life” (Matthew 25: 45-46). What sort of soteriology is this?
Well, I think it fits fine if one's concept of atonement focuses on the cross - specifically the cross one has picked up and is carrying through life as a Christ-follower.

It isn't so much that the works are redemptive as the distinction between an atonement that is missing that cross and an atonement where the believer is fully aware of the sacrificial response expected in receiving God's gift of love and forgiveness.

To me this passage is an important corrective challenge; every time we think we've understood the gospel, it tells us that we haven't. Every time we think we're justified, it tells us we're not. Every time we think we've succeeded, it says we've failed.

It would be great if the Lord had said to the goats "I was in prison and hungry and naked and starving and you didn't help" and the goats replied "Lord, I'm very sorry, I failed you again. I failed to live out the gospel that you taught me, I put down the cross I was supposed to be carrying, I carved myself a more comfortable one because I didn't want to stand out. I'm a fool, please forgive me"

Because to me that there is the gospel. It's a high calling of sacrificial love to our suffering neighbour, which time after time after time we fail to live up to.

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Learning to bend alleviates back-ache, Jamat.

And no, I'm not all suggesting that you are temperamentally anything like Squiggly Andrew - poor chap.

All I'm saying is that entrenched positions such as his were tend to snap once they're pushed beyond a certain point.

You take it now, my brother-in-law (my wife's sister's husband) came from a large Pentecostal family. His father was a very fervent, well-meaning but very hard-line Pentecostal pastor. His brothers and sisters and wider family were all involved with pretty full-on forms of conservative Christianity of one form or other - but now the only one who still goes to church is my brother-in-law and he's far from being a fundamentalist ...

He's actually enjoying life in a rather MoTR Methodist church.

The rest of his family have either lost their faith or burnt out in some way - some of them still believe but aren't involved in anything and simply mope about absorbing funny ideas from half-digested snippets they pick up online ...

I'm not saying that would happen in your case.

But the warnings and parallels are there.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would the manner of one's death atone for one's sins?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
mousethief
quote:
I suppose that (say) Luke was written by a Christian in the first century for a mainly Gentile Christian audience.
The problem is how we come to 'suppose': what do we know, and how do we know it? How secure are the foundations of our knowledge? Progress is usually made by the questioning of 'supposition'. We suppose Luke wrote the gospel when and for whom as a result of careful scholarship. There is, however, much to be said for testing those conclusions in a scientific and logical manner.
Okay, now you've backed off your extreme claim. Thank you. Good has been done here.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

mr cheesy, it's up to US, in the Spirit, to continue on the trajectory of the arc beyond Jesus' cultural limitations, thanks be to Him; as you did.

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Why would the manner of one's death atone for one's sins?

I'm not following.

The theology I'm putting forward is that the atonement is twofold; first that God forgives unconditionally those who are sorry and who forgive others. A free gift.

Second, that the only honest response is to pick up your cross and follow. The cost is everything you have.

It is a free gift. It costs everything you have.

--------------------
arse

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I'm sorry? 'Traditional evangelical belief'?

I think the Catholic church got there before any 16th century-onwards evangelical!

True, but in a lot of ways the Evangelicals kept a lot of the worst bits of the Catholic practice without also taking the bits which were a lot more generous.

Which made a very lopsided belief system.

I missed this.
Such as??

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

- Posted      Profile for Aijalon   Email Aijalon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

I'd say we have a duty to look at it from all angles, not just do what is natural. What is natural is another way of just taking the easy way out. In terms of precedence, the past is what we built all THIS on. I don't think it is a good thing to "zero" the scale so to speak. throwing the baby out with the bath water is what is going on. I've thrown out A LOT. But I don't think Jesus stripped down what we know of law to just about zero. No, the unrepentant are not forgiven (Note I did not say pennance. Repentance means walking a path, it is not counting transgressions and doing penance)

Hormones ruled in guilt and shame and fear until I crashed and burned at 22
I never totally crashed, so to speak. But I did get start looking into a cult like group. They were always out there trying to absorb people like me. I didn't see the fruit, and later found, there wasn't any. I reluctantly set out on a life raft. Thanks be to God for my wife, she decided to join me on my raft two years later.

I no longer even feel that God has changed his dealings with man via revelation at all, except in Christ. We have progressed, yes. Climbed higher up the mountain. He's always waiting higher up.
The way God dealt with Israel was peculiar, and that is what has changed. With the expiration of the Hebrew nation God reverted back to things as usual, basically no different than the time of Noah's flood. (we can debate who they are later on if you like, or if they exist, or if they matter at all..etc)

As an aside: Israel's history was a microcosm of world history. Mini stories tell the tale of what we're doing through now, just as some of the stories told (foretold) the tale of Christ. Example being Moses freeing the Hebrews from Egypt, and Jesus freeing the world of sin and death. Another being the days of the judges when "every man did what was right in his own eyes". That's like what we are doing today.

All I got up my sleeve is postmodernism. Is that we're telling stories. We make stuff up. About God and everything. Even Jesus did.

I am not quite following that one. Are you suggesting that the wrath was merely an act, a stimulus to produce a certain response? A disguise? Would that not be God falsely portraying himself? Or are you saying that the Hebrews wrote about those events in such a way that it's now too fuzzy for us to really know anything about God's character from their history?

And He was … God. THAT story I believe. Utterly. Only. The story from the first circle or two of His acquaintance. And even then, I don't 'believe' the any of the other stuff they made up, their interpretations. Or second hand stuff about the circles.

Are you talking about narrative accounts in the scripture, or later commentary and teaching on said scripture? I am only partly getting you. I see you have a Jesus-centric view, and that is one we can drink fine wine together on, but not sure exactly what you're throwing out, what are "circles"?

They made it ALL up.

the group you grew up in.. yes?

… I grew up conservative and have since moved toward libertarian, far away from the wrathful guilt my parents and church put on me, but not off the grid.

Hmmmm. I curb my wild instinct for libertarian socialism – off the grid - for social democracy – of the grid. I find your sig intriguing. You can't possibly mean it.
[qb]
It's not that I'm into anarchy, democracy is nice and safe, for now. Yes yes, some regulations are needed. But I'm more in favor of local community run things, less mob rule. Democracy as we have it is gravitating, predicably, toward mob rule.

Democracy says the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. This actually tramples the rights of the few (or the one). In such a scenario, society is slowly eroding toward the least common denominator.

I do mean the sig. I believe mankind has been demonstrated to be a wild beast, and as such, God is about taming that beast. We are his "field" his "vine", his "wayward woman", and many other metaphors. In his "trans infinite" nature, he's dealing with man in a way to get us to buy-in to his design, his leadership. I do think he's returning as a physical king, and will run the show as such.

That means all democratic leadership chosen by representation and by the consent of the governed, will fall. The great delusion is the RULE OF MAN. That's my eschatological viewpoint. Earth doesn't evaporate, this is all going to remain, and a Great Monarch will rule it - Jesus Christ. It's not going to look like Hebrew Israel, but it's definitely not going to be a democracy. God doesn't want or need our consent to rule, it is much more like submission in Islam than it is like voting in Britain.

Thank God Jesus came as a friend, not a judge, and we are invited to be his friend before he acts as Judge. God is Love, but he doesn't just give free love, his objective is righteousness.

--------------------
God gave you free will so you could give it back.

Posts: 200 | From: Kansas City | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
God forgives unconditionally those who are sorry and who forgive others.

That's not unconditional, is it?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Aijalon:

- I'd say we have a duty to look at it from all angles, not just do what is natural. What is natural is another way of just taking the easy way out. In terms of precedence, the past is what we built all THIS on. I don't think it is a good thing to "zero" the scale so to speak. throwing the baby out with the bath water is what is going on. I've thrown out A LOT. But I don't think Jesus stripped down what we know of law to just about zero. No, the unrepentant are not forgiven (Note I did not say pennance. Repentance means walking a path, it is not counting transgressions and doing penance)

- - I've no idea how to look forward from Sinai from 3,500 years ago.

Hormones ruled in guilt and shame and fear until I crashed and burned at 2[2]3

- I never totally crashed, so to speak. But I did get start looking into a cult like group. They were always out there trying to absorb people like me. I didn't see the fruit, and later found, there wasn't any. I reluctantly set out on a life raft. Thanks be to God for my wife, she decided to join me on my raft two years later.

- - Cultic thinking abounds, expands in to the vacuum, the white space around words in the absence the rational.

I no longer even feel that God has changed his dealings with man via revelation at all, except in Christ. We have progressed, yes. Climbed higher up the mountain. He's always waiting higher up.

- The way God dealt with Israel was peculiar, and that is what has changed. With the expiration of the Hebrew nation God reverted back to things as usual, basically no different than the time of Noah's flood. (we can debate who they are later on if you like, or if they exist, or if they matter at all..etc)

As an aside: Israel's history was a microcosm of world history. Mini stories tell the tale of what we're doing through now, just as some of the stories told (foretold) the tale of Christ. Example being Moses freeing the Hebrews from Egypt, and Jesus freeing the world of sin and death. Another being the days of the judges when "every man did what was right in his own eyes". That's like what we are doing today.

- - Our stories changed as civilization evolved, aye. I'm not dependent on any of them being historical any more. I'd love Jonah to be true and it could be as no harm was done, far from it. The prophets make few claims after Samuel, the righteous genocidalist. For me the Old Testament more than any other pre-Christian body of literature as a whole (Hindu, Mesopotamian-Egyptian, Buddhist, Greek) DOES seem to yearn more effectively from the dirt to the light. I love the book of Job and the the astounding story of Abraham negotiating for the Cities of the Plain with God under the Terebinth Trees of Mamre, Nathan confronting David, Hezekiah. Wonderful stuff. I used to drain it all of imputed meaning from an assumption of utter historical accuracy, my cult did. Now it's the culture that spawned Jesus. That He transcended. How much God was pragmatically involved in the actual history of the Jews I have no idea.

All I got up my sleeve is postmodernism. Is that we're telling stories. We make stuff up. About God and everything. Even Jesus did.

- I am not quite following that one. Are you suggesting that the wrath was merely an act, a stimulus to produce a certain response? A disguise? Would that not be God falsely portraying himself? Or are you saying that the Hebrews wrote about those events in such a way that it's now too fuzzy for us to really know anything about God's character from their history?

- - God's character doesn't change, He doesn't reveal an Islamic abrogational approach in the other direction (Allah gets less compromising through His prophet), getting nicer and nicer over time. He disguises nothing. He acts nothing. Our understanding changed over millennia of cultural development ineffably, minimally influenced by the constant Spirit and we project that on God.

And He was … God. THAT story I believe. Utterly. Only. The story from the first circle or two of His acquaintance. And even then, I don't 'believe' [the] any of the other stuff they made up, their interpretations. Or second hand stuff about the circles.

- Are you talking about narrative accounts in the scripture, or later commentary and teaching on said scripture? I am only partly getting you. I see you have a Jesus-centric view, and that is one we can drink fine wine together on, but not sure exactly what you're throwing out, what are "circles"?

- - The circles are the degrees of separation from Him. We never hear from the the first circle, Jesus Himself. He didn't write anything in His own voice. We have those that knew Him and those that knew them. That's it. I gave an example you edited out, of bathwater that was written, third hand: “Like Peter being the agent of the Holy Spirit's assassination of Ananias and Sapphira. Inspired and full of goodwill in ignorance as it is. They made it ALL up. I used to believe ALL of it. That it was inspired 'in the Spirit'. I was a fundamentalist. All of that's gone. Thanks be to God in Christ, He's left, He remains.”, Luke talking about Peter and his attribution of the intervention of the Spirit.

They made it ALL up.

- the group you grew up in.. yes?

- - No, every contributor to the Bible. No matter how accurately they wrote what they saw and heard.

- It's not that I'm into anarchy, democracy is nice and safe, for now. Yes yes, some regulations are needed. But I'm more in favor of local community run things, less mob rule. Democracy as we have it is gravitating, predictably, toward mob rule.

Democracy says the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. This actually tramples the rights of the few (or the one). In such a scenario, society is slowly eroding toward the least common denominator.

I do mean the sig. I believe mankind has been demonstrated to be a wild beast, and as such, God is about taming that beast. We are his "field" his "vine", his "wayward woman", and many other metaphors. In his "trans infinite" nature, he's dealing with man in a way to get us to buy-in to his design, his leadership. I do think he's returning as a physical king, and will run the show as such.

That means all democratic leadership chosen by representation and by the consent of the governed, will fall. The great delusion is the RULE OF MAN. That's my eschatological viewpoint. Earth doesn't evaporate, this is all going to remain, and a Great Monarch will rule it - Jesus Christ. It's not going to look like Hebrew Israel, but it's definitely not going to be a democracy. God doesn't want or need our consent to rule, it is much more like submission in Islam than it is like voting in Britain.

Thank God Jesus came as a friend, not a judge, and we are invited to be his friend before he acts as Judge. God is Love, but he doesn't just give free love, his objective is righteousness.

- - Aye, I've been there. That narrative doesn't work for me now, I've lost the interpretative framework for it.

--------------------
Love wins

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Martin 60: Aye, I've been there. That narrative doesn't work for me now, I've lost the interpretative framework for
You could rediscover it you know. It might mean opening the shutters a crack.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

There's no going back. No rewind. That stream has been seen off to the coast. The eternal multiverse necessitates a bigger minded God.

--------------------
Love wins

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aijalon--

Welcome to the Ship! [Smile]

You wrote:

quote:
God is Love, but he doesn't just give free love, his objective is righteousness.
No. God loves the world and everyone in it, whether or not they believe, whether or not they are righteous. And God isn't trying to make us into what I call "holiness bots", but into our whole, best selves. Righteousness can be an aid to that, but remember "the greatest of these is love".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
There's no going back. No rewind. That stream has been seen off to the coast. The eternal multiverse necessitates a bigger minded God.

It is almost like you think you know something that shuts him out when you cannot possibly know. You are such a bloody spiritual lemming.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jamat--

Actually, lemmings don't actually do that, per the Alaskan Dept. of Fish and Game.

They do sometimes do a "mass dispersal" to look for resources; and, though they can swim, some do drown. But they definitely do not commit mass suicide. The makers of the Disney film which showed it threw the poor beasties off a cliff.

And, FWIW, sometimes a person comes to a place in their life when they need to change, when their beliefs need to shift, when they need to shed things to survive. I've done it, and I think Martin has, too. It sure ain't easy, and no one does it for fun. Life or death, basically, whether physical or spiritual.

That doesn't mean anything bad about the person. They're just re-shaping.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:

It is almost like you think you know something that shuts him out when you cannot possibly know. You are such a bloody spiritual lemming.
I know Him in the man and God Christ with whom I'm cliff walking. Not Samuel. Not utterly bizarre, delusional woodenism from YEC to Abraham's Bosom.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I also know Him of course from creation. More unbelievable, ungraspable, unknowable, real.

--------------------
Love wins

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
I also know Him of course from creation. More unbelievable, ungraspable, unknowable, real.

But this just makes my point. You cannot hide in paradox. Nothing is unbelievable, ungraspable, unknowable and still REAL. It is nonsense.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Jamat--

Actually, lemmings don't actually do that, per the Alaskan Dept. of Fish and Game.

They do sometimes do a "mass dispersal" to look for resources; and, though they can swim, some do drown. But they definitely do not commit mass suicide. The makers of the Disney film which showed it threw the poor beasties off a cliff.

And, FWIW, sometimes a person comes to a place in their life when they need to change, when their beliefs need to shift, when they need to shed things to survive. I've done it, and I think Martin has, too. It sure ain't easy, and no one does it for fun. Life or death, basically, whether physical or spiritual.

Golden Key I am in awe! You are too charitable!
It is because I am quite deeply concerned about shifts and reshaping in Martin60's case that I won't leave him be. The guy who led me to the Lord and was groomsman at my wedding killed himself. I wish I hadn't left him alone either.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:

But this just makes my point. You cannot hide in paradox. Nothing is unbelievable, ungraspable, unknowable and still REAL. It is nonsense.
Only if you have a literal, Aspergersesque mind set. The multiverse is all of those things for sure, as in for absolute certainty, as is the origin and evolution of life within it. God, who thinks it all, more so.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:
Jamat--

It is because I am quite deeply concerned about shifts and reshaping in Martin60's case that I won't leave him be. The guy who led me to the Lord and was groomsman at my wedding killed himself. I wish I hadn't left him alone either.

Why the concern? For me or the guy who 'led you to the Lord'? He's OK. So am I. So are you. You'd have made it worse with the best of intentions probably. It doesn't matter. All will be well. God is bigger minded than even I can possibly imagine.

[ 29. May 2017, 10:59: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Jamat--

quote:
quote:

Oh, but those things that Martin said are some of the many traditional views of God, even in the Bible. And paradox is very common in religion, faith, and life in general. To borrow from "Pirates Of Penzance", at common sense it gaily mocks.
[Biased]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I'm touched by your concern for Martin60, Jamat.

I have no idea why the bloke who 'led you to the Lord' committed suicide.

It might just as easily have had something to do with his fundamentalist mindset and beliefs - affecting him adversely in some way - as the fate you fear or project onto Martin60.

Martin can be obscure at times and I'm no amateur psychologist but he seems happy enough to me ... hardly heading for the cliff edge ...

Unless you see his loosening up in theological terms from a fundamentalist mindset as veering perilously close to the cliff edge ...

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:
quote:
Jamat--

Why the concern? For me or the guy who 'led you to the Lord'? He's OK. So am I. So are you. You'd have made it worse with the best of intentions probably. It doesn't matter. All will be well. God is bigger minded than even I can possibly imagine.
Surprisingly, I tend to agree.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

[Smile]

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016