homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Counter Culture (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Counter Culture
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
The problem with "countercultural" is that there are multiple cultures within a society.

Yes and no. There is often a dominant thread running though and defining what it means to be British, American or Canadian.¹ It has variations and subcultures, but there is most often a dominant theme(s).

¹Canada seems to have two, and there are other countries with large, semi-seperate cultures. But counter-culture exists inside those, not between them.

quote:

For example, take the perceived left-wing cultures of major universities in North America. The left-wing cultures of university may view themselves as "countercultural" because they are going against the perceived conservative tenor of North American society. But right-wing activists within those universities may perceive themselves as "countercultural" because they are resisting the dominant left-wing university discourse.

What one is countering is the dominant culture, not merely anything that is different. The right-wing students represented the mainstream culture.
quote:

Kwok Pui-Lan, post-colonial theologian at EDS, once came to my neck of the woods in BC. She spoke that it is an illusion to think that there is a "pure Christianity" that exists prior to entanglement with empire. From her teaching, one could say that it is impossible to imagine Christianity as countercultural if one understands this idea to mean a "pure" Christianity that exists prior to culture.

Again, this misses the point of what counter-culture is. The argument is, IMO, whether Christianity represented a culture prior to its forcible adoption into Roman culture.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 17128 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow all of this discussion seems to ignore many centuries in which "the church" was the dominant culture, at least in most of Europe. Sometimes the counter-cultural actions and feelings are directed against the institutional church. I imagine St. Francis would agree, and so might Martin Luther. It may be that Christianity must have such rebellions whenever the church sits back in comfort and thinks of itself as good.
Posts: 1509 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Somehow all of this discussion seems to ignore many centuries in which "the church" was the dominant culture, at least in most of Europe.

Seriously, WTF?! That has been my point from the beginning.
quote:

Sometimes the counter-cultural actions and feelings are directed against the institutional church. I imagine St. Francis would agree, and so might Martin Luther. It may be that Christianity must have such rebellions whenever the church sits back in comfort and thinks of itself as good.

This point has also been made.

--------------------

Posts: 17128 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can the church be counter-cultural?

Ask Pope Francis.

Posts: 2067 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess the concept of Grace rather than Law and Custom is counter-cultural. For example, those who worked an hour not only receiving the same as those who toiled all day but also being paid first!
Posts: 1571 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This recent article in the Guardian posits the CofE as countercultural with regard to weddings.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/24/pippa-middleton-wedding-anglican-church

Posts: 6475 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
This recent article in the Guardian posits the CofE as countercultural with regard to weddings.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/24/pippa-middleton-wedding-anglican-church

I am puzzled how this is counter cultural. Counter to expectations, yes. But this is not the same thing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016