homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Fact and fantasy (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fact and fantasy
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The awfulness of the fact can be sometimes be the thing that makes fantasy more attractive.
Those who have witnessed the decline of Church worship in this area have noted how little upsurges have occurred when disaster is at hand or, as is more likely, in the popular press.

This whole 'what is the truth?' puzzle is as alive now as it was when Pilate put the question.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Cross posted with Martin60, but I think we said the same thing?

Aye. We yearn to the same light from beneath the soil.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russ

You mention bullying and that reminds me of one narrative that I have in my life. Having been abused, sneered at and diminished by my ex, I resolved never to demean or sneer at anyone ever. I think I have always maintained this. When I was bringing up my two children on my own, I was too cross and angry at times, but as they grew up, I was able to apologise to them then. I avoid sarcasm always.

At the time someone said to me when I was in my twenties, 'Life is not a rehearsal, you know,' I had not heard it before, but, although I sometimes wish it were, I know it is not!!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garden Hermit:
Just remember that real Experts always start with the phrase 'I'm not an expert..' before they express an opinion.

No, they don't. The actual experts will, if asked, tell you that they are the expert in this particular niche, and will probably identify the handful of other people worldwide who stand at a similar level of expertise. It would be a rather absurd piece of false modesty to claim that "I'm not an expert" when your name was on the cover of the standard text in the field, for example.

But they will also tell you exactly why they know X, Y, and Z, and here's this list of questions that we don't know the answer to, but are trying to figure out, and here's this other list that we don't even know how to approach thinking about.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016