homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Falling Dominoes

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Falling Dominoes
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First it was Roger Ailes, then it was Bill O' Reilly, now it is Bill Shine. Even Shine's replacement Suzanne Scott has allegedly been tied to discriminatory practices. Sean Hannity, the last kingpin of FOX News is even fighting his own set of defamation suits.

FOX News also has several racial and gender discrimination suits pending.

Does anyone want to prognosticate the final outcome?

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
First it was Roger Ailes, then it was Bill O' Reilly, now it is Bill Shine. Even Shine's replacement Suzanne Scott has allegedly been tied to discriminatory practices. Sean Hannity, the last kingpin of FOX News is even fighting his own set of defamation suits.

FOX News also has several racial and gender discrimination suits pending.

Higher ratings?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you possibly provide a bit more background for those the old-fashioned side of the pond?

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • Fox News = Fake news owned by the Murdochs
  • Roger Ailes = Former presidents of Fox News. Forced to resign following sexual harassment charges.
  • Bill O'Reilly = Smug bag of wind spinning fake news. AKA a commentator on Fox News. Forced to resign after sexual harassment charges.
  • Sean Hannity = Low budget Bill O'Reilly, not yet forced to resign despite sexual harrasment allegations
  • Bill Shine = Vice President of Fox News Apparently also involved in the harraasment merry-go-round.
  • Suzanne Scott = the president of programming for Fox News who allegedly helprd to try to cover for Roger Ailes

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fox News also wants to buy out the Sky Network in the UK. British regulators are not liking it when FOX is plagued with all this harassment and discrimination charges.

Personally, I think the FOX mindset has created this mess. For years, they would say sexual and racial discrimination claims were a liberal conspiracy in political correctness. It was not happening anywhere, let alone at Fox News.

Now, the monster they created is turning back on them. They are losing advertizers, they are losing audience.

Trump depended on them for getting his story out there. They were a great conduit for alternative facts.

Can they reinvent themselves, or will they end up on the cutting floor? If they do fail, will some other outlet try to take their place such as Rush Limbaugh's Excellence in Broadcasting Network?

Maybe FOX's pending failure will ensure Trump is a one term president. I can only hope.

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Cosmetic changes, and blaming liberals, women, political correctness (you cant even tell a woman she is attractive any more), and those damn LGBTQWERTY folk.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They are losing advertizers, they are losing audience.

Are they losing viewers?

This source, among others, reports that viewership for cable news was down across the board in April, but that Fox was still on top, without a whole lot of O'Reilly related drop off.

I think it might be a bit too early to brand them FAILING Fox news. There are still a bunch of people out there who like the general "the country you used to know is going to hell thanks to these crazy young people and liberals, and you have to do something about it" message. O'Reilly was really the best at delivering that message (seriously, even if you didn't agree with what he had to say, you had to admit that he had the skill to deliver it), but I think someone else will come along, or the next perceived crisis will save them.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
A Soprano Learning to Listen
Apprentice
# 18772

- Posted      Profile for A Soprano Learning to Listen   Email A Soprano Learning to Listen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the major issues that is going to rear its head as this whole debacle is the staunchness of their supporters. It's a bit like the Daily Mail in the UK or marmite... you don't get casual supporters...

It's seems like a lot of the stalwarts will just dig their heels in and decide that it is still all a lefty conspiracy... [Ultra confused]

Posts: 14 | From: France or the UK | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, A Soprano Learning to Listen!
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Apprentice
# 18772

- Posted      Profile for A Soprano Learning to Listen   Email A Soprano Learning to Listen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Welcome, A Soprano Learning to Listen!
[Smile]

Thank you Pigwidgeon! I've been lurking for a bit but summoned up the courage - if that's the right word! - to join up [Smile]
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Soprano Learning to Listen:
One of the major issues that is going to rear its head as this whole debacle is the staunchness of their supporters. It's a bit like the Daily Mail in the UK or marmite... you don't get casual supporters...

It's seems like a lot of the stalwarts will just dig their heels in and decide that it is still all a lefty conspiracy... [Ultra confused]

A few friends shared this comic from "The Oatmeal" (profane language behind that link) about the Backfire Effect, which plays right into this staunchness. Apparently, when we are faced with ideas that conflict with our most familiar and comfortable core beliefs, it activates the same part of our brain that is activated when we perceive a physical threat.

I've said it on these pages many times before, the human brain is not wired for perceiving truth, it is wired to keep us alive. And this wiring has a profound effect on how we receive information that is contrary to what has kept us safe and comfortable for our entire lives. If a TV channel is designed to take advantage of the wiring of our brains, as Fox News is, it's going to remain quite popular with the tribe that it makes feel safe.

--------------------

Apprentice
# 18772

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
A few friends shared this comic from "The Oatmeal" (profane language behind that link) about the Backfire Effect, which plays right into this staunchness. Apparently, when we are faced with ideas that conflict with our most familiar and comfortable core beliefs, it activates the same part of our brain that is activated when we perceive a physical threat.

Here is the non sweary clean one (if anyone wants it!)

It is a brilliant explanation that I haven't come across... thanks for sharing it [Smile]

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

quote:
This source, among others, reports that viewership for cable news was down across the board in April, but that Fox was still on top, without a whole lot of O'Reilly related drop off.
Two problems with that report. 1) It is reporting a measurement that happened one month before O'Reilly was fired. 2) As the reports of his pending demise (as well as others) started coming out, people naturally turned on FOX news to see what was happening. Even I have turned on Sean Hannity to see what is going to happpen to him--he even welcomed (people like) me to his show.

People still like to watch crucifixions.

BTW, in other news the Rachel Maddow is now the most watched commentator on cable news shows. For our friends on the other side, RM is on the MSNBC network. She is a flaming liberal, but she has fun with it.

[ 03. May 2017, 20:18: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

So is there any evidence that Fox is losing viewers? Because in the absence of any evidence, these explanations of why the numbers don't back up what you said in the OP start to look like the aforementioned backfire effect.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Give it time, Og. Give it time.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to hear Trump refer to 'failing fox news' but he'd probably stuff it up and go with 'flying fox news'.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016