homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Is blasphemy still a thing? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is blasphemy still a thing?
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winterbottom wrote:

quote:
brave (extremely fundy) group tried to get the film banned because it was blasphemous.
I'd be curious to know on what grounds they thought the film was blasphemous, since as far as the sequence of events go, The Passion Of The Christ pretty much just follows the narrative outlined in the Bible.

I could see thinking its excessively sadistic, or pruiently homoerotic, but those were more visual overlays on the basic story. Even the anti-semitism was largely just a mixture of one like from the Bible, plus stereotypically rendered images of Jewish people.

Posts: 6103 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and I'm curius about something, Annabella.

quote:
The classic blasphemy outing before that was The Life of Brian.
Does this mean that there was no significant controversy in your jurisdiction over Godard's Hail Mary or The Last Temptation Of Christ?

The latter film especially generated a lot of heat in North America, though I'm not sure how much of it was reflected in actual efforts at censorship. It was certainly easy enough to see in my hometown, though I vaguely recall there being security guards at the theatre the night I went.

Hail Mary actually provoked a lot of outrage from the local traditionalist Catholic crowd, though I'm sure if any of them had actually ventured into a screeing, their collective response would have been more along the lines of "Huh?"

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6103 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Sorry.

quote:
Even the anti-semitism was largely just a mixture of one like from the Bible
That should be "one line from the Bible".

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd never heard of Godard's Hail Mary - must check it out [Big Grin]

I did think that Christian Voice - or one of those types of groups - tried to bring a case of blasphemy against the Jerry Springer musical not so long ago? Perhaps I'm mis-remembering.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5126 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
interbottom wrote:

quote:
brave (extremely fundy) group tried to get the film banned because it was blasphemous.
I'd be curious to know on what grounds they thought the film was blasphemous, since as far as the sequence of events go, The Passion Of The Christ pretty much just follows the narrative outlined in the Bible.
That's how the film was promoted, but it contained a fair amount of extra-Biblical material, especially from noted mystic and anti-Semite Anne Catherine Emmerich. I'm not sure there's any reason to play along with the self-serving, self-promoting characterization of the film by its producers as merely "follow[ing] the narrative outlined in the Bible" when that's not really the case.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10105 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
I'm not sure there's any reason to play along with the self-serving, self-promoting characterization of the film by its producers as merely "follow[ing] the narrative outlined in the Bible" when that's not really the case.

Well, obviously, there is "no reason" to "play along" with a "self-serving characterization" that is "not really the case". Since that translates into "deliberately going along with a lie", which no one(even a liar) is going to defend.

Anyway, yes, it's quite possible I had an inaccurate perception of the film's biblical fidelity, in which case, I can only hang my head in slight shame and thank you for the correction.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I'd never heard of Godard's Hail Mary - must check it out [Big Grin]

It's actually a nice little film, from what I recall, and one of the director's more accessible pieces. I think having to work within the framework of a well-known and beloved religious narrative probably tamed some of Godard's more meandering excesses.

But it's still Godard, and not entirely linear, in that it actually deals with two stories, ie. the Nativity, plus something about a professor trying to seduce a woman through discussion about God and nature while walking through the woods. The two stories never actually come together, except thematically.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016