homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » There's a silent epidemic of middle aged men suicide (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: There's a silent epidemic of middle aged men suicide
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my uncles is facing a mental health crisis at the moment that none of us in the family saw coming, so I'm reading this article with interest and hope it can give me some insight if not hope. This article by Ben Pobjie from 'The Age' about his battles with depression and self harm is relevant.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess about guys over 85 is that they're struggling with failing health and/or bereavement and loneliness. Many older people's physical health goes downhill very sharply after the death of a partner, and I imagine that mental health can be the same. Losing someone you've been used to seeing every day since you were young must be overwhelming.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if opportunity and means play a (small) part in the difference in rate of fatal outcome, with men having both more opportunity and more ability to acquire the means?

I've suffered from episodes of moderate to severe depression all my adult life. For me, I'm most at risk when I am alone. As a mother of two primary school age children, I'm rarely alone without contrivance (which is a good thing in my case, even if it doesn't always feel like it).

And I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the most suicidal professions are those with access to the means.

I'm very lucky that I don't live in a gun-owning culture. I think if I did, I might not be here.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
[qb] So maybe educate yourself before you risk offending people. It is a health issue. Rich people are no less vulnerable to MH problems than they are to any other health problem.

Again I am in the demographic, so I guess I'm offending myself too. I suppose I could have noted that my post was derived from a discussion with three of my friends, all also in the demographic.

Depression is definitely not a precondition for suicidal thoughts or behaviour, nor may mental health issues. There's something more that isn't just within the individual. It is easier to blame the individual for things, and not to consider the social and societal context. I think the term anomie describes a part of it: "breakdown of social bonds between an individual and the community". The decline of "civil society" may also influential. There is a form of alienation that I'd think would affect this group less than others.

[ 18. May 2017, 16:16: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... and it lookes like this may be a case in point .. forget that Cornell is a rock star: if this is a suicide then it's just another middle aged male human wondering what the fuck is the meaning of life. [Tear]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

I've suffered from episodes of moderate to severe depression all my adult life. For me, I'm most at risk when I am alone.

As am I. I live alone, and 2 years ago moved away from family and friends for a "dream" job. I am now wondering if it is in my best interests to leave this job and take another closer to family and friends. I've actively discussed it with my boss, who I count as a friend here. French classes and trivia nights and bushwalking clubs help, but nights alone are still a bugger.

Heard the news on the radio Zappa. Sad. So sad.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
My guess about guys over 85 is that they're struggling with failing health and/or bereavement and loneliness.

That makes good sense to me. My surprise over the rate for this group wasn't that I couldn't understand their reasons, it was more that such deaths are rarely mentioned in the news here, whereas teenage deaths are.

My mother's stepbrother, an artist, killed himself when he was in his eighties leaving behind a letter mentioning his inability to paint anymore.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... and it lookes like this may be a case in point .. forget that Cornell is a rock star: if this is a suicide then it's just another middle aged male human wondering what the fuck is the meaning of life. [Tear]

I just came on here to say pretty much this. It's sobering, as always, to reflect on how people manage to do such a good job of masking how much devastation is apparently going on inside. I wonder if they see the stoicism as courageous and honourable, somehow. If so, this is definitely an area where a live 'coward' is better than a dead hero.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect a fair chunk of suicide is tied to the male provider role. Men traditionally gain love and respect when they provide; those who fail are often shamed - either by people around them, or by views they've internalised as children. The loss of earnings consequently hits very hard, whether it's down to the closure of mines in Wales or the economic collapse of Russia in the 1990s.

Divorce is another period which can be devastating. The founder of Fathers4Justice wrote how it was a constant (and heart-breaking) job amending their membership lists to keep up with the steady stream of suicides.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016