homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
Yes, and I've just been wondering how it's possible that, in the five and a half months since the yam's inauguration, he's managed not to be accused of this behavior even once.

Perhaps it WAS "just" all (locker room) talk, imagined by 44.5 as "impressive" to his young male interviewer.

Well of course he is indisputably a liar. But we must also remember that the pussy-grabbing boast took place when he was 60 -- ten years ago. Time is not a lecherous boor's friend; I am sure Lyin' Don has other, larger issues now to occupy his mind. Comey is 6 foot 8 and a trained FBI man -- you would have to be crazy to grope his crotch.

As to the teflon. I still say that except for the most deep-dyed Trumpistas, most Americans are patriots. If Li'l Donny damages the nation enough, visibly enough, there will be a turn. He will go too far even for them. He is proven out of his own mouth, to care only for himself; the good of the nation, the dangers from Russia, the welfare of the people, all these are opaque to him and without meaning. But he will, at last, go too far.

I am afraid this will call for loss of life, however. And it'll have to be the right lives that he carelessly loses. Not black people, not women or children, not Syrians or citizens of Qatar or whatever, not even the sweat and blood of the US Army. The sin has to be expiated with blood. The blood of older white men.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5670 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump and his 'team' are quite skilled, in a bizarre sort of way, at creating alternative narratives and defending them stoutly. Even when they are stupid. Even his lawyer got into the game over Comey. Comey is now a leaker. Well, of course he isn't. Note that the potential defence of libeller would be available, but unfortunately Comey is telling the truth. Which I'm sure any White House recordings will confirm. So therefore Comey has to be a leaker.

Analogous tactics were of course used over Sadiq Khan.

It's all rather 1984. If Trump says 2+2=5, well that's just an alternative fact. To be enforced any way he can get away with it. After all, his loyal supporters are much happier to parrot than check.

I think Croesos is right though. It is a good tactic to keep on attacking his veracity and general unpleasantness. His support in the polls continues to decline as more and more people wise up to his true nature and general incompetence.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 20928 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Comey is 6 foot 8 and a trained FBI man -- you would have to be crazy to grope his crotch.

To paraphrase Mae West in the film Myra Breckenridge: "Never mind the six feet. Let's talk about the eight inches."

--------------------
"It used to be that being crazy meant something. But not anymore – nowadays everybody's crazy!" – Charles Manson

Posts: 10292 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!]

Miss Amanda, I think you ought to go and get your wrap....

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9179 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's being dry cleaned -- some sort of stain got on it somehow. [Confused]

--------------------
"It used to be that being crazy meant something. But not anymore – nowadays everybody's crazy!" – Charles Manson

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me guess -- it's a blue one.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Well, it's definitely not orange. I can tell you that much in open session. [Biased]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*where is the fan emoticon!*

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Comey is now a leaker. Well, of course he isn't.

I may be wrong, but couldn't he getting a friend to give details to the press be considered "leaking"? Personally, I am all for leaking if people believe government is overstepping it's bounds...but I think it is still leaking.

quote:
His support in the polls continues to decline as more and more people wise up to his true nature and general incompetence.
Good point. But I suppose I'd like to see some acknowledgement on the other side that their policies are leaving people behind. Maybe I've missed it, my fault. Not as much as the Orange Menace's, to be sure, but people are still struggling. And it seemed to me neither side particularly cares. Though Trump cares even less.
Posts: 7558 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I may be wrong, but couldn't he getting a friend to give details to the press be considered "leaking"? Personally, I am all for leaking if people believe government is overstepping it's bounds...but I think it is still leaking.

It would be leaking if he included anything classified. Giving his own, non-classified account of what happened doesn't fit this.
The Cheeto administration wants to have things both ways. To persecute people for leaking information whilst claiming they are lying.
prior to November last, it would have made one's head spin.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16948 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The problem as far as I can see it is that the opposition is fixated on tripping up Trump rather than on planning for elections. At least that's what the media give one to believe.
I am a constituent in the 5th Congressional District of Washington State which is represented by Republican Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rogers. She is the highest-ranking Republican woman in Congress at this time.

I can assure you we are actively working for her defeat this next go around. She is refusing to participate in town hall meetings because she is not listening to voters. She voted for to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

People are relying on this act for health care coverage. You try to take away something that people need, things are getting ugly.

At this stage, it is estimated the Republicans can lose up to 40 seats in the next election Democrats only need 23 seats in order to gain the House

The Democrats only need three seats to flip for the Senate. Historically four seats will likely flip against the administration.

All this is to say while the Democrats are working the Trump card for all it's got, it is not the only reason Congress will be going blue.

Posts: 2031 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
All this is to say while the Democrats are working the Trump card for all it's got, it is not the only reason Congress will be going blue.

Also because the Congressional Republicans will be holding their breath, hoping to retain not only their hold on Congress, but the very existence of their party?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17985 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comey is guilty of snitching on his former boss, but that's not illegal leaking under US law. And you can be 100% sure that Comey will have checked out any legal exposure in advance.

No, this is just alternative narrative game playing by Trump. Who is now accusing Comey of lying and threatening to produce tapes 'soon'. Ha bloody Ha. 'Soon' in Trump speak is just a news cycle device and normally means sometime never.

He's just an asshole who happens to be POTUS. Not too difficult to see through his stupid games.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I would not be surprised if he offered a "doctored" set of tapes that corroborate his version of the encounters.

If he were indeed so stupid, I would hope that Comey would have at his disposal an army of technically savvy sympathizers to come to his aid to expose the fraud.

That would be the end of the Orange One -- and good riddance!

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comey is guilty of snitching on his former boss, but that's not illegal leaking under US law. And you can be 100% sure that Comey will have checked out any legal exposure in advance.

No, this is just alternative narrative game playing by Trump. Who is now accusing Comey of lying and threatening to produce tapes 'soon'. Ha bloody Ha. 'Soon' in Trump speak is just a news cycle device and normally means sometime never.

He's just an asshole who happens to be POTUS. Not too difficult to see through his stupid games.

Stupid game? Maybe...but it was effective in moving Comey...

There are no tapes.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1397 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

What's that you say, romanlion? No tapes? You mean T-boy lied to us?

As to the future of the GOP, they have irrevocably tied themselves to the king. When it is revealed that he has no clothes they'll be standing right there beside him, bare-assed. The party may or may not survive in name, but it's dead, just shambling around like a zombie.

The church in the US got into bed with the pussygroper as well, and they're not going to recover in my lifetime.

[ 10. June 2017, 14:05: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with these people? What drives them into bed with pussygropers, and so forth?

Over here, we have our revered Prime Minister getting into bed, in order to 'govern', with mediaeval types who believe the world was created 6021 years ago, in 4004BC!

Truly, the lunatics have taken over the asylum...

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 9179 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes. At worst it is "not loyal"-- something Comey has already alerted the Orange One he prioritizes lower than honesty. But for Trump loyalty is the greatest good, and since he has clearly confused being POTUS with being a medevil monarch, he assumes that disloyalty to the crown is a capital offense.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11087 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ha bloody Ha.

Thank you, Barnabas. This is my new mantra when it comes to all things Trump or the Freedom Caucus.
[Big Grin]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5845 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. My PTSD has come roaring back and I jump three feet when anybody speaks to me. Explained to my husband why I'm being so twitchy (it's easy to avoid the news when you spend all your time in Little Vietnam). He kindly decided that the way to solve my twitchiness was to talk shit until I was so irritated with him I would forget about Trump!

We would have had a rip roaring fight except I caught the twinkle in his eye and confronted him with it. He admitted his tactics.

The sucky thing is, it worked.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

There are no tapes.

You don't know that for sure. Who knows what arrangements if any are made to record what the present POTUS and his visitors discuss?

Maybe there is another "Alexander Butterfield" moment in our future? Or maybe Trump is just a lying toad? Or maybe Comey is a nutjob?

In advance of further information, ISTM that the nutjob resides (part time anyway)at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm less interested than others about the potential existence of tapes. If they do exist, I'm highly dubious we'll get an unedited version that either confirms or denies Comey's testimony. Possibly we'll get some spliced together version, or something like the infamous Watergate "gaps" which Donald thinks he can use to support his version of truth. More likely he's just playing with us. The man is a troll.

If this were a jury trial, I'd be sitting back with the popcorn, pretty darn sure which witness would win the he said/he said stand-off. But played out in front of Congress in an impeachment trial? Much less certain.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11087 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
The man is a troll.

Yes indeed. We'd kick him off the Ship in a heartbeat.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
The man is a troll.

Yes indeed. We'd kick him off the Ship in a heartbeat.
Just for starters, he'd have problems with Commandments 1,2,3, and 5 -- especially 1.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9457 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re tapes:

T reportedly records conversations in Trump Towers. (In his residence, I presume...) If that's true, he might well continue the habit in the White House.

And microphones are a lot easier to hide than in Nixon's day, and they don't have to have a wired connection.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17985 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Comey and leaking:

Of course, it was leaking. I don't know if it was illegal. Ethically, it was probably the right thing to do.

As to whether Comey checked out his legal exposure first, I'm not sure. From what he said, it seems like he was in turmoil, and scared, and maybe even panicking. Any sensible person who wasn't a diehard T supporter would've been. That's why the immediate memo-writing in his car, and the realization that woke him in the night.

He may well have been covering his own a**, as much as he was trying to get an investigation going. And that's probably why he was so forthright in his testimony--better to admit it, than to have someone dig it up.

[ 11. June 2017, 04:22: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I didn't mention illegality...I wrote "leaking". In my view, he did leak. Was it right? Of course, in my mind. But it was a leak...he didn't come out and say it, he gave it to someone who gave it to the press.

edit: thanks for the agreement GK - good to know I'm not completely mad; or if I am you are with me. [Big Grin]

[ 11. June 2017, 04:25: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
I can assure you we are actively working for her defeat this next go around. She is refusing to participate in town hall meetings because she is not listening to voters. She voted for to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

People are relying on this act for health care coverage. You try to take away something that people need, things are getting ugly.

Thanks for this. It does give one hope.

I freely admit I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to the left of most, if not all, Americans. And I try not to impose my socialist views on another country, where the very thought of free healthcare for all sends shivers down many spines which confuses me to this day. Do you think the Democrats need to change any policies, as per Bernie's latest speech? Or do you think they, as they are, generally gel with enough of the American populace as they are?

Forgive me if I'm overstepping my mark as an outsider, but your country is the most powerful in the world and your CiC and government has some impact on what happens around the world. I just recall seeing Hillary veer to the left and disown policies she previously supported (the Pacific Free Trade agreement, for instance) during the selection process. Is that lurch to the left continuing? Is it beneficial / needed? Or is a centrist mentality more likely to appeal?

I may have misunderstod the level of hatred towards Hillary, but was Trump's election in any way a dismissal of where the Democrats were and the policies they pursued (and those they forgot?)? What caused people to stay at home in large numbers? I'm trying to make sense, esp. given Corbyn's good performance, of where progressive parties need to be now.

[ 11. June 2017, 04:35: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comey wasn't leaking, he was whistleblowing [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1186 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ian--

quote:
edit: thanks for the agreement GK - good to know I'm not completely mad; or if I am you are with me. [Big Grin]

Less crowded, where we're sitting. [Biased]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A leak, by definition, involves secret information. And secret, in government terms, is not merely "stuff I didn't want you to know". It will be items of a classified nature.
So far as I am aware, nothing that Cheeto has whined about, with Comey or his staff, qualifies as such.

--------------------

Posts: 16948 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I would think a private convo with the president might be classified, especially when T made such a big thing of kicking everyone else out of the room. And the notes were work product--about his work, and done while he still had his job. He said that, well, when he gave them to his friend, he was a private citizen, so it should be ok. I think "that dog won't hunt", to borrow a phrase.

Not that I think he should be punished, but there may be legit grounds to do so.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly some light relief for the UK:
quote:
Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming. The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.
From the Guardian, link.

He might have to wait for rather a long time, then. In addition, isn't this another sign of his narcissism which would be dealt a blow with masses of non-adoring crowds? - Very good riddance, I'd say!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7253 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, you have had a fortunate escape. Lucky you!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed.

Is it a sign of 'progress' into his tiny mind that The Great Pussygrabbin' Yam is thinking people might just not want him?

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you think the Democrats need to change any policies, as per Bernie's latest speech?

I just recall seeing Hillary veer to the left and disown policies she previously supported (the Pacific Free Trade agreement, for instance) during the selection process. Is that lurch to the left continuing?

...the level of hatred towards Hillary, but was Trump's election in any way a dismissal of where the Democrats were and the policies they pursued (and those they forgot?)? What caused people to stay at home in large numbers? [/QB]

I can't claim to have answers. Lots of people disliked Hillary, for lots of reasons. She swung left because of Bernie not because of change in belief. (Would she has re-endorsed TPP after election? Unknown) MOST (not all) of the people I talk to voted Trump disliking him but what the heck he was a fresh voice even if he talked nonsense sometimes. Some are apologetic, some still waiting to see if he does good but still not wanting Hillary. (I voted Bernie so I'm out of the game.)
Posts: 5826 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I would think a private convo with the president might be classified, especially when T made such a big thing of kicking everyone else out of the room.

Again. private=/= classified.
quote:

And the notes were work product--about his work, and done while he still had his job.

Not everything an intelligence agency is classified. Some things that are marked classified would not stand in a court. INAL, but the standard is not an arbitrary one.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump’s too scared to come to the UK. Who says protest doesn’t work?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12671 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yah Boo! Cowardy, cowardy, orange-coloured custard!

What a pathetic fuckwit he is. Nearly as bad as our own revered 'prime minister'.....

IJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Possibly some light relief for the UK:
quote:
Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming. The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.
From the Guardian, link.

He might have to wait for rather a long time, then. In addition, isn't this another sign of his narcissism which would be dealt a blow with masses of non-adoring crowds? - Very good riddance, I'd say!

Poor, sensitive man.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23064 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

I see the House Committee have asked the White House to release tapes - if there are any!

Leaking is one of those muddy terms. It covers unauthorised release of classified information, which is illegal, unauthorised release of non-classified but embarrassing information, which may be a dismissable offence, but not prosecutable, or simply breaking a confidence for the sake of embarrassment.

In Trumpspeak, calling Comey a leaker means he should be subject to legal investigation and prosecution if guilty of illegal disclosure. I guess the legal issue is whether all private conversations with the President are by their very nature classified.

Comey's note for the record of his conversations with the President was perfectly legal. Revealing the contents of these notes in his response, under oath, to a House Investigation is highly unlikely to be illegal.

Apparently Sessions is up shortly. Oh what fun that will be.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In Trumpspeak, calling Comey a leaker means he should be subject to legal investigation and prosecution if guilty of illegal disclosure. I guess the legal issue is whether all private conversations with the President are by their very nature classified.

They are not. Nor were Comey's memos classified. On the other hand there is a question of "executive privilege", a somewhat vague legal doctrine most often used by presidents to block subordinates from testifying when such testimony would be embarrassing/incriminating. It doesn't apply here for two reasons. First, Trump essentially waived any privilege when he described the conversations and their content ("While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, . . . ") in a publicly released letter. Second, the time to assert executive privilege is before the testimony is offered.

On the question of tapes, I see three possibilities. They are, in what I view as order of descending likelihood:

• The tapes don't exist and Trump is trying, ineffectively, to intimidate possible witnesses to his actions.
    -
  • The tapes exist and back up Comey's version of events. If this is the case we will only hear these tapes via leak, if ever.
    -
  • Last and least likely is the tapes exist and back Trump's version of events. If that's the case they would already have been released unless there are other, much more incriminating conversations also recorded by the system and admitting such tapes exist might lead to those conversations falling into the hands of Congress/Mueller.

Those are the only possibilities I can think of that make sense.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10441 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sense! [Killing me] As if that applies to The Orange One.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fourth scenario - the tapes exist but are missing 18½ minutes.
[Biased]

(For those too young to remember, or who live elsewhere and didn't follow the U.S. scandals of the 70s, the Watergate tapes had a 18½ minute gap.)

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9457 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read today that: Delta Airlines and Bank of America pulls sponsorship from Julius Caesar

The play casts Caesar as a Trump-like character in an American political setting. It ends with Trump being stabbed in the rotunda by his colleagues. "Stabbed in the Rotunda" was a line from Canadian Comic Duo Wayne & Shuster, who's comedy I enjoyed as a child. If you want to enjoy their comedy as a child, drink three large whiskeys and search youtube for "Rinse the Blood Off My Toga". Actually, do the search before you drink the whiskey.

Personally, I think it is terrible to compare Trump to the great Romans of the past. I reckon if you are going to put Trump into a play, go for something like Bugsy Malone. The guy might think he is important or loved or that he will be fondly remembered in the future. We can't let him think that. It would be a cruel deception.

--------------------
Human

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

@ Croesos

Thanks, Shipmate, very helpful. I knew it was something like that but wasn't sure just how much executive privilege muddied the waters.

Have you seen this story?

As a truthteller about Trump's pressurising, Comey is looking pretty good right now.

BTW, I caught a bit of a Fox "News" show and they are spinning, spinning, spinning the leak accusation for all it is worth. This is now a world of "alternative facts".

[ 12. June 2017, 10:08: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mindboggling. Thanks for the link!

However..., with Weird No. 45, mindbogglingness is the everyday rule. At least, it keeps our own minds lean and fit and agile I suppose.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7253 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I feel that my mind is fit enough. Do you remember the good old days (a year ago!) when you did not know who the Attorney General was? Or the Secretary of Education? I doubt I could name those persons if they came up and bit me. We could simply not know, because all the departments and governance were in the hands of competement people. Now, an unnatural vigilance has been forced upon us; we have to defend our rights at every turn.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ashamed to say that I'm one of those bad immigrants who pays more attention to the politics in the old country than the new one. I can recognize my MP and my MLA, I was privileged to meet our Justice Minister, but I probably recognize more members of Congress than members of Parliament. [Hot and Hormonal]

I did have a lot of fun today asking all my colleagues what they would think if the boss called them in for a private meeting and started off by asking if they liked their job [Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Paranoid] ... and "hoped" you'd do something ... Sorry, Senator Risch, that dog won't hunt.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5376 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
I'm ashamed to say that I'm one of those bad immigrants who pays more attention to the politics in the old country than the new one. I can recognize my MP and my MLA, I was privileged to meet our Justice Minister, but I probably recognize more members of Congress than members of Parliament. [Hot and Hormonal]

I did have a lot of fun today asking all my colleagues what they would think if the boss called them in for a private meeting and started off by asking if they liked their job [Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Paranoid] ... and "hoped" you'd do something ... Sorry, Senator Risch, that dog won't hunt.

Are you the boss, Soror magna [Big Grin]

--------------------
Human

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I feel that my mind is fit enough. Do you remember the good old days (a year ago!) when you did not know who the Attorney General was? Or the Secretary of Education? I doubt I could name those persons if they came up and bit me. We could simply not know, because all the departments and governance were in the hands of competement people. Now, an unnatural vigilance has been forced upon us; we have to defend our rights at every turn.

Yes.... it's almost painful to remember, isn't it?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016