homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's becoming more and more obvious that T is like an aging, demented emperor, who must be placated, lest he take issue with your head:

"Trump makes bizarre claims at press event as Cabinet members take turns praising him" (CNBC).

Not saying he'll actually kill an individual, though I don't think it's impossible that he'd order someone to do it.. But sending the military or dropping a nuke, when he's upset, bored, lonely, or feeling disrespected...

[Help]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love the skit by Charles Schumer - they couldn't keep straight faces for long.

Mind you, plenty of the Trump lot had wry smiles [Killing me]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

But I kind of wish he hadn't done it. FauxNews is now spending loads of time talking about how Shumer is "wasting taxpayer money" putting out such things and how he should be doing his job, not playing around.

This, of course, is just a way for FN to distract from the obscenity that was the actual meeting...but it has a point. Democrats really need to stop behaving like children on a playground and instead behave like mature adults. The Trump meeting was damaging to Trump on its own. It did not need Shumer to push it over the edge. Instead, because he couldn't resist childish taunting, Shumer's video is now serving as a distraction from the Trump video. This is how Democrats are repeatedly stumbling over their own feet when dealing with Trump. They keep going for the laugh to get PR coverage for themselves, rather than deal with the serious issues posed.

This is what disgusts me about politicians, regardless of party affiliation--they are just playing a game. The whole lot of them need to grow up and be mature adults. I am tired of being ruled by children whose main ambition is to see how many wedgies they can give to the members of the opposition party.

My suggestion to the Dems: Stop trying for the laugh. Leave comedy to the comedians and keep the focus serious on just how bad Trump is for the country. Keep a serious focus on his multiple conflicts of interest, including his undisclosed sources of income. Keep a serious focus on the distressing number of ties his appointees have with Russia. Keep a serious focus on the detriment he is doing to our alliances across the world. Keep a serious focus on how he is applying improper influence on the investigations.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

But I kind of wish he hadn't done it. FauxNews is now spending loads of time talking about how Shumer is "wasting taxpayer money" putting out such things and how he should be doing his job, not playing around.
I disagree. When confronted with a fundamentally ridiculous situation ridicule is perfectly valid response. It can also highlight how fundamentally abnormal the whole situation is. Demanding uniform, dead-faced, humorless seriousness can be counterproductive in its own way.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they didn't laugh they'd cry.

They have every right to laugh and to point out his egotistic narcissism as they do so.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile Sessions is in Session. No smoking gun.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has The Great Orange Saviour Of The Universe built that Wall yet? Or established the ban on brown people aka Muslims?

No?

Tch...he's nearly as bad as that Obama feller. Whatever happened to the Muslim Caliphate?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Demanding uniform, dead-faced, humorless seriousness can be counterproductive in its own way.

I suppose that is true. But (and this may just be based on the particular corner of the World Wide Echo Chamber I have been in of late) I have seen far more discussion about whether it was appropriate for Shumer to do what he did than I have seen discussion about whether it was appropriate for the Cabinet members to boot-lick like they did. From that perspective, it feels to me like Shumer actually helped get them off the hook by making himself the story rather than them. I find that to be counterproductive.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like every time we get a new revelation in this story it seems a lot more invasive than the previous iteration:

quote:
Russia’s cyberattack on the U.S. electoral system before Donald Trump’s election was far more widespread than has been publicly revealed, including incursions into voter databases and software systems in almost twice as many states as previously reported.

In Illinois, investigators found evidence that cyber intruders tried to delete or alter voter data. The hackers accessed software designed to be used by poll workers on Election Day, and in at least one state accessed a campaign finance database. Details of the wave of attacks, in the summer and fall of 2016, were provided by three people with direct knowledge of the U.S. investigation into the matter. In all, the Russian hackers hit systems in a total of 39 states, one of them said.

I think we're fast approaching the point where an out-of-hand assumption that vote totals weren't directly affected by Russian cyberattacks is no longer a completely comfortable one.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the vote totals. so far as we know, continue to show Clinton the winner of the popular vote, I wonder if what we really need to know is whether the electoral college outcome was affected by these invasions.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohher--

Yes.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Meanwhile Sessions is in Session. No smoking gun.

The easiest test to tell if someone is lying is to compare what they say to the truth. Unfortunately this method requires you to already know the truth beforehand. And we still don't know the truth about all these shenanigans.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Planet America showed some of the pro-Trump ads airing on American TV. One of the ads showed Kathy Griffin holding up that papier-mache Trump head. They are going to be showing that one for years. [Waterworks]

Hedgehog, I reckon you're not as right with Schumer's faux meeting, but you're spot on if you are talking about Kathy Griffin & Co.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Demanding uniform, dead-faced, humorless seriousness can be counterproductive in its own way.

I suppose that is true. But (and this may just be based on the particular corner of the World Wide Echo Chamber I have been in of late) I have seen far more discussion about whether it was appropriate for Shumer to do what he did than I have seen discussion about whether it was appropriate for the Cabinet members to boot-lick like they did. From that perspective, it feels to me like Shumer actually helped get them off the hook by making himself the story rather than them. I find that to be counterproductive.
Not here in the U.K. - I've seen and heard nothing but derision for the wobbly orange one, in RL and online. So insecure he needs constant praise. This is bad for six year olds, never mind ancient presidents [Disappointed]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sessions didn't impress me very much as a witness. Pretty evasive, not much disguised by the bluster. Trump's tweet was just silly.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of Trump's tweets are silly.

One waits now in expectation of profound thoughts (not) on the tower block fire in London, and the shooting of Republicans in Virginia.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick surreptitious check of fire inspections on own property first?
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A more significant development?

Donald Trump himself is under direct investigation for obstruction of justice by the special counsel's office.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Donald Trump himself is under direct investigation for obstruction of justice by the special counsel's office.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving fellow.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

More cluelessness:

"Trump told the mayor of a disappearing island not to worry about sea-level rise — these photos show how grave the situation has become" (Business Insider).

The island is in bad shape--though I don't know how much is attributable to *this* round of climate change. The water's been swallowing it up since the 1800s.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

He'll fire Mueller next.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Boogie--

He's been considering it.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

What do they call it, a kleptocracy?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I guess this answers the question of what you get the man who has everything for his birthday.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
More cluelessness:

"Trump told the mayor of a disappearing island not to worry about sea-level rise — these photos show how grave the situation has become" (Business Insider).

The island is in bad shape--though I don't know how much is attributable to *this* round of climate change. The water's been swallowing it up since the 1800s.

A King Canute denier.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been to Tangier Island. I would not buy real estate there on a bet; it is -barely- above sea level. High tides already flood many of the roads twice a day, and it is inaccessible in winter. One good hurricane coming up the Chesapeake Bay will wipe the place out, like wiping jam off your cheek. Crooked Don's comments were of course totally unhelpful. But there is nothing he, nor anyone else can do about Tangier. The mayor was asking for a miracle. Mother Nature has this one, and it's not going to be pretty.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link indicates the islanders are getting what they voted for.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a lot of that going around lately.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

And not just in the US of A...

[Disappointed]

Meanwhile, at least The Land Of Government By Headless Chickens (TLOGBHC - pronounced Togbitch - the L is silent), formerly known as the United Kingdom, is temporarily free from the threat of a Visitation by The Odious Orange Ozymandias.

TOOO would be faced (or behinded) by too many people for His Bigly Magnificence to cope with.

IJ

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's becoming more and more obvious that T is like an aging, demented emperor, who must be placated, lest he take issue with your head:

"Trump makes bizarre claims at press event as Cabinet members take turns praising him" (CNBC).

Not saying he'll actually kill an individual, though I don't think it's impossible that he'd order someone to do it.. But sending the military or dropping a nuke, when he's upset, bored, lonely, or feeling disrespected...

[Help]

Had a thought about this: Praise of the boss/department head happens in bad corporate environments. It's an extension of the thing where the boss gives an indication of what s/he wants and then everyone praises the idea to the sky.

On a related matter, it looks like Trump might be threatening Rosenstein in his latest tweet. I love twitter.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

FYI: ABC's "20/20" news magazine show is doing a special on Watergate tonight (6/16/17). There's related material here. I think the full show will be available there, eventually, and someone will probably put it on YouTube.

Relevant because of parallels with the current situation.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
quote:

[Help]

Had a thought about this: Praise of the boss/department head happens in bad corporate environments. It's an extension of the thing where the boss gives an indication of what s/he wants and then everyone praises the idea to the skies
A very good thought. It's invariably a sign that some pretty extreme abuse of power is going on.

I think we have to be realistic about this. Some abuse of power by the powerful is normal. Speaking the truth to power is generally a risky business. I remember being taught this truth early in my public service career.

"If you tell a senior officer is wrong and you are wrong, you're likely to get marks for courage and independent thinking. But if you tell them they are wrong and they are wrong, don't expect to be forgiven any time soon."

Power and status can corrupt people by playing on vanity and self importance. But Trump was vain and self important before he became POTUS. Amongst other faults.

I get the feeling he is pretty much incorrigible now. And increasingly deluded. That can be very dangerous.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of his supporters are apparently deluded, also. I just heard a woman being interviewed on the TV telling all of us that Trump has the respect of the world, which has not been the case for a long time. It makes me wonder about her (and others like her) thought processes.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Trump has never, in his entire career, had the respect of anyone outside of the United States. He has always been considered at best to be a laughingstock but more often a fraud, fortunate not to have shared a jail cell with Martha Stewart and Jared Kushner's dad.

America is in dire need of a tall poppy syndrome. It seems like its a country full of wealth fetishists.

Re Georgia Special Election: I think I'm right in saying that the previous incumbent had a majority of about 23%, whereas the current Republican seems to have hung on to the seat by a majority of about 1.3%. (I can't find a report of the swing, which is weird, but I'm no google wizard). To me, that works out to be something like a 22% swing away from the Republicans in a red state.

Why are the Democrats casting this as a loss, requiring soul-searching? Do they require a national swing of more than 20% to wrest away control of Congress?

Why aren't Democrats dancing in the streets over this result? They put their big guns up and they got a great result.

The answer, I expect, is that there was a failure in expectation management. But are Americans interested in progressive politics really so gullible that they think they might pick up a seat requiring more than a 20% swing?

Madness.

--------------------
Human

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why are the Democrats casting this as a loss, requiring soul-searching? Do they require a national swing of more than 20% to wrest away control of Congress?

I suspect it's connected to the fact that the Dems spent something like 5 times the moolah the Repugs did on this, The Most Expensive Race Ever, or so it's reported.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I just watched PBS Newshour for 21 June. Looks like the Dems are not casting this as a loss, as is right and proper. My faith in American politics is restored.

Sorry. The whole healthcare thing upsets me, despite my bravado in the other thread. I am Koyaanisqatsi .

WHEN WILL THE STAR TREK UNIVERSE COME TO BE?

[Waterworks]

I realise that I might be unravelling a bit. No posting for 12 hours for this little black duck.

--------------------
Human

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

From the Guardian -

"Donald Trump has explained he wouldn’t want a poor person touching the economy. He told a crowd in Iowa that he made “very rich person” Wilbur Ross his commerce secretary and Gary Cohn from Goldman Sachs his economic adviser “because that’s the kind of thinking we want”. Cohn “went from massive pay days to peanuts” to join Team Trump, said the president. “I love all people, rich or poor, but in those particular positions I just don’t want a poor person. Does that make sense?”

No sense at all to me.

How many 'peanuts' will these two be paid?

When will poor trump supporters realise he never has been, and never will be, on their side?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No sense at all to me.

How many 'peanuts' will these two be paid?

Almost no peanuts at all, if you mean in direct pay. But both those men are very wealthy. They are wealthy at the level where extra money doesn't mean anything as money - it's just a way of keeping score. They already have enough money that they can buy anything they want.

And being appointed to a cabinet position is a better score than a few extra sacks of cash. What they're getting paid in now is really status, not money.

Trump's case is that rich businessmen instinctively understand the economy (because they're making money, so they must know how it works) in a way that other people don't. This is why Trump is all over the map so often - he operates on instinct.

The problem is that he doesn't seem to have worked out what a government is for.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Running a corporation is a totally different skill than running a government department. You might as well put a short order fry cook into the post, it would work just as well. Don't believe me? Well, just look at them.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Running a corporation is a totally different skill than running a government department.

Yes, it is. But Trump doesn't think so. Trump is trying to "run" the US the way he runs his business.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I’m just plain confused. Trump says he wants to put solar panels on his wall. Aside the obvious absurdity of the whole project, how does that square with keeping coal mines open and screwing up the Paris agreement on Climate Change? This makes no sense.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is from the POST, explaining why it makes no sense. Like master, like man.

[fixed broken link]

[ 22. June 2017, 14:59: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is from the POST, explaining why it makes no sense. Like master, like man.

[fixed broken link]

The Post won't let me read that without paying them to do so.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Essentially, since li'l Donny says anything that pops into his head, consistency is not to be expected. (If you have a public library card, and go through their web site, you may well be able to access the POST for free. Or, if you have a .mil or .edu address, or Amazon Prime, you can get a free subscription.)

--------------------

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably the solar panels will have to be on the south-facing side of the wall? That could cause a few problems.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Re Georgia Special Election: I think I'm right in saying that the previous incumbent had a majority of about 23%, whereas the current Republican seems to have hung on to the seat by a majority of about 1.3%. (I can't find a report of the swing, which is weird, but I'm no google wizard). To me, that works out to be something like a 22% swing away from the Republicans in a red state.

It may be that they're casting it as a loss because it was a loss. John Ossoff lost. He lost by a smaller margin than one would expect for a Democrat in Georgia's 6th district, but a narrower losing margin doesn't get anyone a seat in Congress.

In terms of the big picture, it does represent a shift. Tom Price won re-election in that district last November by a margin of 23.4 percentage points. Some of that, of course, can be attributed to the natural advantages of incumbency. The Cook Partisan Voting Index (PVI) for GA-06 is R+8, which means that a generic Republican can typically expect to beat a generic Democrat in that district by a margin of about 8 percentage points. In a race where neither candidate enjoyed the advantages of incumbency Karen Handel won by 3.8 percentage points. So she underperformed the PVI by 4 percentage points. Not huge, but not something that can be ignored either.

Our other data point is the special election in SC-05, which has a PVI of R+9 and was held the same day as GA-06. There the Republican candidate won by a margin of 3.2 percentage points, so there does seem to be a real shift of 4-6 percentage points relative to PVI, at least for non-incumbent candidates.

If we assume that this shift is national and uniform and if we assume that it will hold until November 2018 (both very big "ifs") it seems likely the Democrats will retake control of the House of Representatives. Shifting the PVI 4 points in the Democrat's favor yields a House with 223 Democrats, 200 Republicans, and 12 races which are essentially toss-ups. Shifting the PVI 6 points in the Democrat's favor gives a House with at least 245 Democratic members, 181 Republicans, and 9 toss-up districts. This is, of course, fairly crude modeling not taking into account incumbency, gerrymandering, and other factors.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Trump is trying to "run" the US the way he runs his business.
...and like all bad managers, has failed to grasp the difference between problems that can be solved (by other people) if you shout at them loud enough, and problems that can't.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
Presumably the solar panels will have to be on the south-facing side of the wall? That could cause a few problems.

That was my immediate reaction, too.
[Disappointed]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Don't they also have to be at an angle, so as to catch the rays properly?

I can see the Mexicans having a lot of fun (and free power) by siphoning it off (if you can do that with lektricitity).

Or they could just spray-paint over them, so they don't work.

Or pinch them, and put them on their own houses.

Or charge the US Government for hanging them on the Mexican side of the border.

Does The Odious Orange Ozymandias ever think anything through?

O, sorry - I used the word think. Does not compute, does not compute, does not......

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Don't they also have to be at an angle, so as to catch the rays properly?

I can see the Mexicans having a lot of fun (and free power) by siphoning it off (if you can do that with lektricitity).

Or they could just spray-paint over them, so they don't work.

Or pinch them, and put them on their own houses.

Or charge the US Government for hanging them on the Mexican side of the border.

Does The Odious Orange Ozymandias ever think anything through?

O, sorry - I used the word think. Does not compute, does not compute, does not......

IJ

I think the entire wall would have to be built on U.S. territory, so even the Mexican side would have to be U.S. property. Which will not stop any of the things you mentioned, or rocks being thrown at it. But Mexico could not charge the U.S. for solar panels on the south side of the wall.

No, the Odious Orange Ozymandias never thinks anything through. Such as how much more expensive it would be up front to build a solar panel wall than a cement block or steel wall.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016