homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"In a world in which Donald Trump is president, may we all be Jimmy Carter." -- George Takei

Carter is unquestionably the most worthwhile former president we have ever had. He is also (per the Beatitudes) a man pretty well guaranteed to see God.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
"In a world in which Donald Trump is president, may we all be Jimmy Carter." -- George Takei

Carter is unquestionably the most worthwhile former president we have ever had. He is also (per the Beatitudes) a man pretty well guaranteed to see God.

So of course when he ran for re-election in 1980, the so-called Christian right supported Ronald Reagan.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Carter is unquestionably the most worthwhile former president we have ever had.

I've always thought so.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps we could get Carter and his Habitat For Humanity to build the Trumps a house on an uninhabited island? And encourage them all to resign ASAP?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find myself blown away that at 92, and one day after being hospitalised for dehydration on the job, Carter is back doing it at grassroots level. The guy demonstrates a servant heart that has far outlasted his tenure in the White House.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As everyone knows, Australia has the best TV shows about American politics. They're great. They're really great. The ratings are great. They're very impressive. Everything's great.

Planet America, which I have just switched off, tells me that if Donald Trump Jr merely solicited stuff of value from a foreign power in an election campaign, then that's a low-range offence for which he could expect a fine of up to US$5,000. That's not nothing, but it's not very much. Traps for young players stuff.

They also talked a little about Paul Manafort, and mentioned the allegations against the Clinton campaign that they might have breached campaign finance laws in receiving information about him from people in Ukraine. Now, Ukraine is not a hostile power, and Russia is. But it could still be an offence, and I don't think it can be dismissed. It has no bearing on the moral culpability of Trump's actions.

All this suggests that while Jr. might have been convicted in the court of public opinion (along with everyone else associated with Trump), he's still a long way from being sent down by a real court.

I'm still going to heckle the bastard about making sure he packs a toothbrush if I get a chance. I'm working on a raft of insults.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few weeks ago a story broke that Trump had framed fake TIME Magazine covers of himself hung in several of his resorts.

This past Friday two Democratic congressman brought into the House of Representatives an enormous printout of Don Junior’s actual TIME cover.

I’ll bet that one doesn’t get hung up all over Trump properties.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
As everyone knows, Australia has the best TV shows about American politics. They're great. They're really great. The ratings are great. They're very impressive. Everything's great.

Planet America, which I have just switched off, tells me that if Donald Trump Jr merely solicited stuff of value from a foreign power in an election campaign, then that's a low-range offence for which he could expect a fine of up to US$5,000. That's not nothing, but it's not very much. Traps for young players stuff.

They also talked a little about Paul Manafort, and mentioned the allegations against the Clinton campaign that they might have breached campaign finance laws in receiving information about him from people in Ukraine. Now, Ukraine is not a hostile power, and Russia is. But it could still be an offence, and I don't think it can be dismissed. It has no bearing on the moral culpability of Trump's actions.

All this suggests that while Jr. might have been convicted in the court of public opinion (along with everyone else associated with Trump), he's still a long way from being sent down by a real court.

I'm still going to heckle the bastard about making sure he packs a toothbrush if I get a chance. I'm working on a raft of insults.

Yes, Jr. is probably guilty only of a breach of ethics-- "only" being the operative word because to the Trumps an ethics breach is roughly equivalent to picking one's nose in private.

But SIL/BIL Jared Kushner may in fact be guilty of a criminal act for failing to disclose his multiple Russian contacts.

Which raises the intriguing question again of the strange sibling dynamics, and why Jr. released this infamously incriminating email. Was he trying to take down the guy who seems to have more than eclipsed him in daddy's eyes? Or is he just that stupid?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the exhibit about Ernest Shackleton's expedition at Greenwich, and bought a tee shirt with this well-known quote on it: “For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”

From this we can derive the larger rule that, when disaster does strike, find yourself Mr. Shackleton and tie yourself to his right ankle. And so it is if you really want to see God: find Mr. Carter. Because if any man alive today is going to stand before the throne of the Father and hear 'Well done, thou good and faithful servant,' it's Jimmy Carter.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that's quite a testimonial, Brenda.

I gather, from Wikipedia (so it must be True), that Mr. Carter's presidency was not entirely well-regarded, despite the many Good Things achieved.

However, he certainly hasn't let the grass grow under his feet during his post-presidential years, and his commitment to Christ, and his humanitarian work, do him great credit. Long may he continue to teach in Sunday School!

O, America - what a contrast with the current incumbent (or should that be encumbrance?)...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Was he trying to take down the guy who seems to have more than eclipsed him in daddy's eyes? Or is he just that stupid?

Yes.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ms. Clough.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

Absolutely. But criminal activity isn't the significance of the event. It is a step on the road.

Take an analogy. The police suspect a group of robbing a bank. That group swears that they have had nothing whatsoever to do with that bank, much less stole anything from it. Then video evidence emerges that clearly shows one of the group entering the bank on the day of the robbery. Now defenders of the group will say, accurately, that it is no crime to enter a bank. True. But in light of the prior denials of any contact with the bank, it is suspicious and warrants further investigation. It is a step on the path.

The Trump Campaign denied that they had ANY contacts with the Russian government. Now Junior's e-mails show that they were told the Russian government wanted to help Trump win the presidency and Junior was so excited about this that he happily agreed to a meeting to get more info, bringing in other members of the campaign staff.

It may not be illegal, but it is suspicious. He walked into the bank. It warrants further investigation. If only to see what else Trump and his people have brazenly lied to the American people about.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Wow, that's quite a testimonial, Brenda.

I gather, from Wikipedia (so it must be True), that Mr. Carter's presidency was not entirely well-regarded, despite the many Good Things achieved.

Among Republicans. Because he had the audacity to be a Christian and mean it.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when Jimmy Carter was president, and how pleased I was with his very obvious Christian heart. My brother, who I did not know at the time was a conspiracy theorist, insisted that Carter was the antichrist. That, along with the Republicans' rants about him puzzled me greatly. Too bad I didn't know then what I know now.

How many of these little "oops" things have to happen with the Trump guys before there is any accountability? Had President Obama done just one of these oopses, he'd have been strung up. Yeah, I'm a broken record, and a very frustrated one.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
President Carter's approval ratings over the course of his presidency. That's a lot of Republicans.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

At this terribly late date, if Jimmy Carter is the Antichrist, he's totally missed the train. The man is in his mid-90s and frail; he becomes dehydrated and ill building houses for the homeless. How can he grind the world under his iron heel now?

(And where is that Muslim Caliphate? Obama has totally let us down, I am bitterly disappointed. He didn't even take all the guns.)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At this terribly late date, if Jimmy Carter is the Antichrist, he's totally missed the train. The man is in his mid-90s and frail; he becomes dehydrated and ill building houses for the homeless. How can he grind the world under his iron heel now?

(And where is that Muslim Caliphate? Obama has totally let us down, I am bitterly disappointed. He didn't even take all the guns.)

And the conspiracy theorists will just conveniently forget their failed conspiracies and find new ones to obsess over. And never see the disconnect.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
not taking the guns was a big mistake.

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I go to the Walmart and cruise the parking lot fruitlessly, looking for those prison camps. You just cannot rely on antichrists these days.

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You just cannot rely on antichrists these days."

(although Trump is trying hard)

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

Nonsense. From a conversation about this today with a UK evangelical antichrist-obssessed acquaintance from my university days:
quote:
Trunp is pro Christian so not very likely [to be the antichrist]...
he defends Christian values, is anti abortion and anti homosexual, good guy

[brick wall]

[ 17. July 2017, 15:58: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Fëanor
Shipmate
# 14514

- Posted      Profile for Fëanor   Email Fëanor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy Carter is indeed the least odious of the recent US Presidents, but please let's not forget that he helped to oversee the US providing a quarter of a billion dollars worth of military assistance to a genocidal dictator in Indonesia. Citation here

Maybe when he gets to the pearly gates, there will be a sort of mock-trial wherein the recipients of the houses he helped build act as his defense lawyers vs the 200,000 (or so) East Timorese he helped fund the extermination of.

Posts: 177 | From: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fëanor:
Jimmy Carter is indeed the least odious of the recent US Presidents, but please let's not forget that he helped to oversee the US providing a quarter of a billion dollars worth of military assistance to a genocidal dictator in Indonesia. Citation here

Maybe when he gets to the pearly gates, there will be a sort of mock-trial wherein the recipients of the houses he helped build act as his defense lawyers vs the 200,000 (or so) East Timorese he helped fund the extermination of.

Why are all the marginal websites done up in such contrasty themes?
Not defending Carter, but if one is going to cite information, it should more comprehensive than a collection of disembodied quotes.
East Timor from Wiki.
Carter might well have done evil here, actively or passively. But the situation appears more nuanced than "Carter exterminates".

[ 17. July 2017, 17:21: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always thought the conventional wisdom on Carter was accurate: He was not one of our greatest presidents. But he is one of our greatest former presidents. It is what he has done since he was no longer president that impresses, not his time in office.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Fëanor
Shipmate
# 14514

- Posted      Profile for Fëanor   Email Fëanor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
<snip>
Carter might well have done evil here, actively or passively. But the situation appears more nuanced than "Carter exterminates".

For the record, your rhetorical technique of saying "well the situation is more nuanced than this bullshit quote I pulled out of thin air" sucks. Pardon me for pointing out that this guy you're thirsting to canonize has some blood on his hands.

[ 17. July 2017, 17:46: Message edited by: Fëanor ]

Posts: 177 | From: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I have always thought the conventional wisdom on Carter was accurate: He was not one of our greatest presidents. But he is one of our greatest former presidents. It is what he has done since he was no longer president that impresses, not his time in office.

Agreed. He is proof that being a good person - which I believe he is- does not automatically provide the skills necessary to being a great leader - which I believe he was not.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

Agreed. He is proof that being a good person - which I believe he is- does not automatically provide the skills necessary to being a great leader - which I believe he was not.
Nor does being a foul person, as the present incumbent proves.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fëanor:
quote:
<snip>

For the record, your rhetorical technique of saying "well the situation is more nuanced than this bullshit quote I pulled out of thin air" sucks. Pardon me for pointing out that this guy you're thirsting to canonize has some blood on his hands.
I'm not campaigning for or against Carter. All I am saying is use more complete sources.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

Nonsense. From a conversation about this today with a UK evangelical antichrist-obssessed acquaintance from my university days:
quote:

[brick wall]

Wolves will appear among you to deceive even the very elect, if that were possible.

Pretending to be Christian MUST BE the Antichrist's M.O. There is no way a non-Christian could fool the elect.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a longish article Financial Times.
A quote:

“To be sure, every politician has some element of narcissism, but he [Trump] has perfected narcissism, he has made it the supreme element of his life, and not only that, evangelicals have responded in an almost messianic way that he is the saviour, which makes him feel really good because he does believe he is the saviour,” Flynt says. “It is kind of curious evangelicals would not be offended by this. I am as an American Christian. I’m offended because I already thought following Jesus was going to make us great again.”

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nonsense. From a conversation about this today with a UK evangelical antichrist-obssessed acquaintance from my university days

I have a few antichrist-obsessed individuals who are acquaintances or past friends. Prior and just post the election that constituency was pushing various articles/videos/etc by (largely) Charismatic leaders pushing the 'Trump is chosen by God' line in various variations ("Trump is like Cyrus" was what they resorted to once the 'baby christian' line became worn).

So I'm not at all surprised to see your report of his reaction.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Pretending to be Christian MUST BE the Antichrist's M.O. There is no way a non-Christian could fool the elect.

Agreed. In my more dispensationalist moments of anxiety I worry more about Macron, who is getting similar Messiah treatment, albeit from different quarters.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you assign numbers to letters you can easily get the letters Ayn Rand to add up to 666. Just saying.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if anyone in the press has done profiles of all of the Trump children, their personalities, political positions, relationships with their father and each other, etc., in particular of Donald Jr. vs. Eric vs. Ivanka? I've seen lots written about Ivanka and Jared but much less about Donald Jr. and Eric, let alone side by side comparisons of them all (and Tiffany is written about least of all, but as has been noted in this thread and elsewhere she is in the outer orbit of Trump children). Barron is too young to have much worth writing about him other than the irresponsible speculation I have seen into his mental health, so I'm not interested in any profiles of him.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Both bringing out the worst in, and cynically exploiting, modern evangelicalism. That's a hat trick.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

If you assign numbers to letters you can easily get the letters Ayn Rand to add up to 666. Just saying.
And there are some contemporary Christians who don't realize she's not a Christian.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

Some of us think he was a better leader than we wanted or deserved.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus--

quote:
quote:

[brick wall]
Right, he defends Christian values like sexually assaulting women, voyeuristically invading the dressing rooms of young female pageant contestants, not paying his workers...

Might suggest your acquaintance reads something other than Hal Lindsey and the "Left Behind" series. Rob Bell's "Love Wins" might be a good place to start...

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

mt--

quote:

Serious, sarcastic, or mixed, please? There are grounds for each. Thx.

[ 18. July 2017, 02:11: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
mt--

quote:

Serious, sarcastic, or mixed, please? There are grounds for each. Thx.
Quite serious, assuming that such a beast as "the Antichrist" exists, or will exist. I'm not sold on that. But given that as a presupp, the A-C will perforce have to be (or appear to be) Christian, and a very charismatic one at that.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Both bringing out the worst in, and cynically exploiting, modern evangelicalism. That's a hat trick.

Hang on, a Hat Trick is a run of three. Am I missing something. [Confused]

--------------------
Human

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:

I'm favourably impressed with how Vox has analysed the Christian community here.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm favourably impressed with how Vox has analysed the Christian community here.

Yes, I certainly think that that article has got a lot of things spot on - in terms of the general dynamics of the movement.

The other thing worth highlighting is the particularly conspiratorial type of mindset that generally buys into extreme end-times thinking, and again the article does well at showing how this mind-set influences the culture of the movement.

On which note, and further to the post about your anti-Christ obsessed acquaintance above I'd link here:

http://barthsnotes.com/2017/07/18/claim-donald-trump-has-secretly-arrested-3000-elite-paedophiles-and-satanists/

These are tangential figures in the scene - but they have links to the more influential, and such things tend to circulate third hand via magazines like Charisma and so on.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

If there is an anti-Christ currently, it would be Mitch McConnell.

[ 18. July 2017, 14:01: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
If there is an anti-Christ currently, it would be Mitch McConnell.

Agreed, but he has done one good thing! Trump wants to end the filibuster and change Senate voting rules so that 51 votes make a majority instead of the current 60 votes.

According to The Hill, as well as other sources, McConnell slammed the door on ending the filibuster in May, saying it “will not happen.”

“There is an overwhelming majority on a bipartisan basis not interested in changing the way the Senate operates on the legislative calendar,” he said.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks be to God.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That didn't keep him from bringing forward legislation under the reconciliation process, which only requires a simple majority.

A new thing, on the "Oops, I did it again" theme: Trump had a previously unreported hour-long meeting with Putin at the G20. I wonder what else they had to talk about, given that their earlier meeting had gone 4 times longer than planned.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
A new thing, on the "Oops, I did it again" theme: Trump had a previously unreported hour-long meeting with Putin at the G20. I wonder what else they had to talk about, given that their earlier meeting had gone 4 times longer than planned.

Now be fair, Ruth. Since the election, it has been MUCH harder for Putin to give his little toady instructions. They needed that extra time so that Putin could make sure that Trump understood what was expected of him. And you can imagine how hard that is, Trump being Trump. I imagine several times Putin had to shout "Pay freakin' attention, you moron! What are we paying you for?!?!?!"

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Now be fair, Ruth. Since the election, it has been MUCH harder for Putin to give his little toady instructions. They needed that extra time so that Putin could make sure that Trump understood what was expected of him. And you can imagine how hard that is, Trump being Trump. I imagine several times Putin had to shout "Pay freakin' attention, you moron! What are we paying you for?!?!?!"
This is when I feel all the emojis
[Snigger] [Frown] [brick wall] [Help]

and finally [Votive]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016