homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
How serious is this? Is the media hyping it? Or am I right to be afraid?

A (retired) twenty-five year veteran of the U.S. Army officer corps shares what he's looking for before worrying too much:

quote:
It has long been apparent that this president is not conversant with international issues, military issues, and, apparently, economics. But what he does have is power, specifically, the ability to issue launch orders for various forms of military attacks. Disassociated from realities in all three of those areas, it seems quite possible that this commander-in-chief might, in a fit of pique, actually initiate a new war. (It won't be his fault, in his mind of course, despite the fact that I have just demonstrated how this entire crisis is the creation of his own actions.)

So what am I looking for as a siren?

James Mattis.

If Secretary of Defense Mattis resigns, anytime soon (say in the next few weeks), all bets are off. Why does this worry me? Because Mattis would resign, as I think would national security adviser H.R. McMaster, should an order be issued to commit overt military action. If you see that happen, maybe we should all worry. Until then, relax but monitor.

The whole thing isn't that long and is well worth the read. It should be noted that Bateman's assessment of James Mattis comes from personal contact.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10227 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Seem to recall most Brits didn't no where the Falklands were in April 82, or that we'd stuck a Union Jack there centuries earlier.

Know we didn't.
I certainly didn't, though in my defence I was only 3 years old at the time.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29732 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't initially know where the Falklands were, but it was made very clear quickly. So I did know before any shots were fired.

I suspect that Trump doesn't know or care where Korea is. It is "Not America", which is all he cares about.

He now says they are "Locked and loaded". Proving he still thinks he is playing a computer game.

I am pleased that the message coming out of other parts of government is "Don't listen to the orange pumpkin, we are trying to negotiate."

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18367 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I didn't know where Guam was until just now.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22889 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's a long way from the US mainland, and has a long and interesting history.

The Wikipedia article is informative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guam

Lovely beaches, but I'm not sure I'd want to be there just now...

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8277 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I suspect that Trump doesn't know or care where Korea is. It is "Not America", which is all he cares about.

He now says they are "Locked and loaded". Proving he still thinks he is playing a computer game.

I am pleased that the message coming out of other parts of government is "Don't listen to the orange pumpkin, we are trying to negotiate."

Trump is being used as a blunt instrument against the NK regime in the same way as Bush Jr. was used against the Sadam regime.
The Barthe Party chose to call his bluff and paid the price. Not quick and not clean, as Iraq and the surrounding region can tell us now, 14 long years later.

Question is, will the Kim regime stand down? Probably not. Will it disarm? Probably not. Will it stop behaving provocatively? Rational people of the world are hoping it will.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 2976 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By whom is Trump being used, though? Blunt instrument he may be, but a very dangerous one, liable to rebound on the wielders...

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 8277 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
And I didn't know where Guam was until just now.

A Mystery Worshipper has been there.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10126 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep wondering how much longer before someone forcibly drags him to a neurologist. I would put large amounts of money on a dementia diagnosis. Seriously, how is this not happening?

I understand the difference between dementia and assholery, and between dementia and being an unlikable president. The problem is, it's clear he's all three. And the dementia isn't going to get any better, and I can't think of a more obvious way for him to exhibit it. Seriously, taking off his clothes in public would be less troubling.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19856 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The problem is, it's clear he's all three.

Exactly right - he is all three. Now let's assume that he wasn't a nasty asshole. If he just exhibited whatever signs of dementia you think he has, but wasn't a nasty asshole, would he look significantly worse than Reagan?
Posts: 4581 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Exactly right - he is all three. Now let's assume that he wasn't a nasty asshole. If he just exhibited whatever signs of dementia you think he has, but wasn't a nasty asshole, would he look significantly worse than Reagan?
That is difficult. Reagan had better people around him. If Cheeto weren't an areshole, he'd have less nasty people, but would they be competent.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16332 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Does it matter? If Reagan was demented (and I understand that he was), he ought to have been retired. The fact that the country survived it doesn't mean it's a pattern to copy.

--------------------

Posts: 19856 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
By whom is Trump being used, though? Blunt instrument he may be, but a very dangerous one, liable to rebound on the wielders...

IJ

Well, since Russia installed him as president, and since he has private meeting(s)* with Putin and no USA personnel, I'd say it's pretty obvious who's using him. Whether he knows it or not, whether he wants it or not. Trump is a sucker for macho shit and flattery and probably thinks Vlad is his best bud. Wipe out the USA's credibility as a superpower and ally, and they can divvy up the world with China. Trump truly was The Siberian Candidate.

---
*we have no way of knowing how many, and his flunkies take lots of meetings with Russia as well

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5287 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to interpolate my own psyche, but I just had a dream in which I met and talked with a guy wearing a t-shirt identical to my Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy t-shirt. I didn't twig to this in my dream, and I can't remember what was said, but now I realise that the guy was STEVE BANNON.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 763 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Sorry to interpolate my own psyche, but I just had a dream in which I met and talked with a guy wearing a t-shirt identical to my Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy t-shirt. I didn't twig to this in my dream, and I can't remember what was said, but now I realise that the guy was STEVE BANNON.

No wonder those dolphins I saw frisking in the waves off Cape Point yesterday were all shouting 'So long, and thanks for all the fish!'

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 358 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tweet pertinent to earlier conversation on this thread. Trump can tweet but can't figure out Google Earth?

Rogue WH Snr Advisor‏ @RogueSNRadvisor 8h8 hours ago

'Trump had no idea where Venezuela was located prior to a few weeks ago. Gen. Kelly brings an atlas to every meeting now.'

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T reportedly doesn't use computers, just his cell phone, as of many months ago. Though I've heard since then that he sometimes uses a tablet.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17372 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T as travel agent:

"Trump calls Guam governor, predicts 'tenfold' jump in tourism in light of North Korea's threats" (Yahoo).

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17372 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's now threatening Venezuela. [Roll Eyes]

WaPo headline: Trump says he does not rule out ‘military option’ to deal with strife in Venezuela.

quote:
“We have troops all over the world in places that are very far away,” Trump told reporters at his Bedminster, N.J., golf club after a meeting with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. “Venezuela is not very far away. . . . We have many options, including a possible military option if necessary.”

Asked whether he was talking about a U.S.-led operation, Trump said: “We don’t talk about it. But the military option is certainly something we could pursue.” He did not elaborate.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7181 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Am I over-caffeinated or something?

Anyhow, saw this and it is painful but informative (for me) reading on the history of Guam.

An Open Letter from Guam to America

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Am I over-caffeinated or something?

Anyhow, saw this and it is painful but informative (for me) reading on the history of Guam.

An Open Letter from Guam to America

[Tear]
Posts: 2120 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not like that letter one bit. Its a gutless and stupid letter that could well have been written by an isolationist here in Australia. The Kim Jung whatevers of this world need to be opposed. Usually talking will do the trick, but sometimes more has to be done. It's not good enough to turn your back and say that if you leave that to others, you will be OK and not have to take a risk, or put your hand in your pocket. That'd be like taking a pay-rise hard won by a Union, and not being a member of the Union yourself, striking when you're told and paying your dues. This person wants to be a blackleg, a freeloader.

Guam can be sovereign if it wants, but it still has to contribute, and that's by hosting military bases on its strategically important soil. My understanding is that many people in Guam are quite happy with the present arrangements.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
T as travel agent:

"Trump calls Guam governor, predicts 'tenfold' jump in tourism in light of North Korea's threats" (Yahoo).

Huh? The man is a moron.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62694 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Which one? T, or his lickspittle toady, Calvo?

[Projectile]

IJ

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I meant T, but anybody who works for him has to be also, else why would they work for him?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed. I guessed you meant T, but it was the conversation between him and Calvo that made me chunder.

Doubtless T will welcome the increase in the number of tourists visiting the remains of LA, should Mr. Trim succeed in ruining it in due course.

IJ

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Guam can be sovereign if it wants, but it still has to contribute, and that's by hosting military bases on its strategically important soil. ...

There's an implication in your post that if a superpower thinks a particular part of the world is strategically important, the occupants are obliged to "host" the superpower's military. Apparently the residents of strategic locations in the Pacific and elsewhere are expected to "contribute" by helping the superpowers to sell more weapons and kill more people. That's a colonial / imperialist attitude: the world is just a big Risk board for wealthy and powerful countries to play on. Small countries are playing pieces to be traded back and forth or wiped out if they don't want to play.

Being sovereign means being sovereign. It means NOT being a client or a vassal or a colony or an outpost. By definition, if Guam were sovereign, the people of Guam would choose how to "contribute". Maybe the people of Guam don't want their "contribution" to be kicking off World War III. Happy or otherwise, better being called isolationist than being used as a human shield.

And remember, the USA has military bases in a lot of places, such as Saudi Arabia. That was one of UBL's major grievances against the Saudi royals and the USA. Colonialism has consequences.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5287 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
... Guam can be sovereign if it wants, but it still has to contribute, and that's by hosting military bases on its strategically important soil. ...

If someone else can tell you how you have to "contribute" then you're not sovereign. By definition.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I skimmed the "Open Letter". Yes, there's definitely a tone to it, but it's about what I'd expect from someone in that situation, who doesn't like it.

I followed a link in the article to the author's bio. Background in activism, gov't, publishing, documentary film-making, and academia. Much of it has to do with the US militarization of Guam. This isn't a spur-of-the-moment thing for her.

quote:
Victoria-Lola M. Leon Guerrero is the Managing Editor of University of Guam Press. She teaches Women and Gender Studies and has taught Creative Writing and other writing courses at the University of Guam, Mills College, and Southern High School. She has a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Mills College and a Bachelor of Arts in Politics from the University of San Francisco. She was also a Policy Analyst and writer for Speaker Judi Won Pat in the 32nd Guam Legislature. Victoria has published a children's book, short stories, and essays, co-edited an anthology of Chamoru writers, and was the editor of Storyboard: A Journal of Pacific Imagery for three years. Victoria has written several articles and produced two short films critiquing the U.S. militarization of Guam and expressing the need for Chamoru Self-Determination, which are available online. She is the co-chair of the Independence for Guam Task Force and is actively involved in organizing the community to fight for Chamoru self-determination and express their concerns about the U.S. military build-up.
Places that host the US military can suffer for it. Ask Okinawa about the rapes.

[ 13. August 2017, 04:19: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

If you want a better and safer world, you have to be prepared to play your part. That's neither colonialism nor imperialism.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What if, gasp, you disagree about what makes a better or safer world ? Maybe the people who live in Guam believe in unilateral nuclear disarmament ?

Also, why is Guam part of America, whilst not having full democratic rights ? How is that not-a-colony ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19125 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

simontoad--

Guam has done more than its bit, for a long, long time--and I'm not sure it had much choice in the first place.

Doublethink--

It is one of various US possessions, territories, etc. Different ones have different statuses and rules. American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam...there are more, but that's all I can think of.

My impression is that the US almost always gets more good out of such relationships than the countries on the other end.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

How does the standard of living in Guam compare with that in, say, the Solomon Islands?

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Per capita income, Solomon islands: $2150 (2016)

Per capita income, Guam: $12864 (2010)

From what I've read, most Guamanians would prefer commonwealth status or statehood; independence is the preference of a small minority. In a 1982 referendum it polled under 5%; a professor at the University of Guam says his more recent polling shows support for independence or free association around 6%.

Posts: 1984 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I hear that The Odious Orange Ozymandias is returning to his lair today, presumably to oversee the destruction by fire and fury of North Korea, Venezuela, other countries that are Not America (and whose locations are, to him, unknown), along with, maybe, those wretched pinkos in Virginia who dared to oppose the hatred of the alt-right (or all-wrong, if you prefer).

An interesting week lies ahead, I think.

IJ

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shipmates, I've come to the conclusion that Trump is president because he represents the true face and condition of the USA, and that the Obama presidency and even that of his predecessor, George Bush, masked the dark reality. His statements and actions as president are less to be deprecated than recognised as an honest expression of the dysfunctional nation he represents.
Posts: 1429 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Thanks, dude. So kind of you to take away all hope. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. In fact I was gearing up to paint a protest sign (for the counterprotests this weekend) that says this. "We are America", in red and blue on white. (I think on the back side it will say, "Not you.") They are not us, and their odious toupee'd figurehead does not represent us.

This is not a new notion; we've been biting on our imperfections for a long, long time. This poem was probably written sixty years ago. Says it perfectly. We aren't there yet. But we're going there, and we're not going to give up.

A better president than this one said, “We take a step forward sometimes we take two steps back. Sometimes we get two steps forward and take one step back but it’s never a straight line. It’s never easy.”

And this is a POST link and so will cost you a click: The burgeoning resistance movement in deep-red states. In South Dakota, no less, the rubiest of red states, they resent the danger to their health insurance -- who would have thought? The current conditions are not normal, and people recognize that.

[ 15. August 2017, 13:31: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5075 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
Shipmates, I've come to the conclusion that Trump is president because he represents the true face and condition of the USA, and that the Obama presidency and even that of his predecessor, George Bush, masked the dark reality. His statements and actions as president are less to be deprecated than recognised as an honest expression of the dysfunctional nation he represents.

He's an honest expression of some aspects of the US, obviously. But the whole country? You'll need to back up that claim.
Posts: 24301 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

How significant are the resignations of business chiefs associated with Trump? BBC News reports that a fourth has gone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40933391

And all The New Messiah can do in return is to tweet an insult to Ken Frazier regarding rip-off drug prices (though, for all I know, that might be true!).

IJ

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaaaand he's now back to saying that blame for the weekend's violence should be shared by both sides.

[Projectile]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3071 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone quit his religious advisory panel yet?

(not holding my breath)

--------------------
One has to take part. Scary as it is. - Martin60
Jerusalem is a city without walls

Posts: 16880 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't find the tweet now. But it ran something like, "Why should they? They sold out on Jesus long ago."

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5075 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
How significant are the resignations of business chiefs associated with Trump? BBC News reports that a fourth has gone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40933391

Only the symbolism is important, because this group barely ever meets and it's not like Trump takes advice anyway. Far more have stayed than have quit. Any protestations about staying in order to have a positive influence are baloney.
Posts: 24301 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was heartened somewhat that some did leave...it at least showed some convinction.

But as Ruth said, the flip side is many stayed. Would there be much movement against their companies, or do you think, to the general populace, white supremacists rampaging through streets is not a high priority issue? I mean that sincerely; if people are more concerned with jobs and education and view this as something that happened away from them it may not even make a dent in some people's views. But I hope I'm being pessimistic.

Posts: 7248 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW, while you bill yourself as "liberal 'peace first' hankie squeezer", your posts, given this and your shot at No Prophet a few days ago are increasingly reading My Country, Right or Left. America is a complex, aspirational thing, and I can understand your frustration - but understand ours. We have to live with a hyper-power which is increasingly unworthy of our trust.
Posts: 494 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Far more have stayed than have quit. Any protestations about staying in order to have a positive influence are baloney.

The only reasons for staying are hubris, and an insufficiently strong moral reaction to white supremacy.

As many have observed, it's incredible that Trump takes 2 days to "get the facts" before condemning neo-nazis, and about 2 hours to condemn the Merck CEO who quit. Who is African-American.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12179 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
...represents the true face and condition of the USA...

And what leads you to that conclusion? I don't see any evidence for determining which of America's politicians are the "true face", or even for deciding that there is a single "true face" rather than many different faces of a pluralistic society.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12179 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Would there be much movement against their companies, or do you think, to the general populace, white supremacists rampaging through streets is not a high priority issue?

I think the connection between these companies and the racists is too indirect for many people to be that bothered.
Posts: 4581 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

PG--

[Angel] (or attempting, anyway.)

FWIW: I don't see that Ruth's done anything wrong, or even that she's done anything particularly harsh.

When you say "America is aspirational", I take it you mean that it's an ideal, that people want to believe in it, etc.? I get that, and I've tried to address that during past discussions of this sort of thing. But non-Americans tend to either deny or ignore it. If anything, they focus on the practical problems of maybe having the American colossus tumble over on them. And, usually, they put that ahead of the lived experience of those who actually *live* here. To the point of telling us that their ideas of the US are absolutely, solidly right, and *we* don't know what we're talking about. Even talking *only* about effects on non-Americans. After one long bout of that, I mentioned that we were being ignored, and someone said, "oh, we thought you knew we care". A couple of people apologized.

Some non-Americans have also denied, all along, that there's anything seriously wrong with T, that there were meaningful problems with the election, etc.--to the point of publicly telling me that I could call them to Hell, if they turned out to be wrong.

Plus some non-Americans, on the "Charlottesville" Hell thread, are fighting about The One True Way to be virtuous responders, in person, to a situation like Charlottesville.

I know it can be hard to have dreams, mythologies, and beliefs threatened. Been there. I'm sorry for you and everyone going through that. Many Americans are going through disillusionment, too--but we're also living within the *reality* of this horror. There isn't really anywhere else we can go; and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot we can do that will actually *work*, and not make things worse.

Plus there's supposed to be another such rally here, in SF, in about 10 days. And IIRC Richard Spencer is supposed to speak at Berkeley, and there's a huge fuss about whether that will even happen.

Most American posters don't like any of what's going on in Charlottesville, or DC, or Trump's messed-up mind. We're scared silly, angry, trying to figure out what to do, seeking comfort, self-medicating, trying to block out the whole thing.

We're stumbling through this. As a thought experiment: think of a time in history when chaos and political machinations took a country down a nasty path. Now, plug the American mess into that situation. Think what it would be like for the people involved. Then think about what it's like for Shipmates--people you know--who are involved.

Please be patient, and compassionate.

Thx.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016