homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 35)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elsewhere on the internet someone has suggested starting a GoFund Me or a Kickstarter drive for the wall. Let Crooked Don's disciples pay for it; the Mexicans clearly don't intend to.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5277 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7214 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely that Kickstarter had to be in jest. (It was, wasn't it?)

I find the wall incoherence baffling. First, Mexico will pay for it. They said, No, senor. Trump ignores that and blathers on. Then, during his Arizona sideshow he says that if Congress doesn't pay for pay for the wall, he'll shut the government down in the budget showdown (reminding me of the National Lampoon cover of a border collie with a gun to its head "Buy This Magazine or the Dog Gets It") - and the crowd goes wild, forgetting that America was not supposed to pay for it. So, if it doesn't get built, it's no longer Mexico's fault, but Congress's. If Trump is so rich, let him fund the thing that he so idiotically promised.

Posts: 612 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No PG. Vincente Fox, former president of Mexico did not say "no senor", he said "we won't pay for that fucking wall".

He didn't say that trumpy's crack-brained idea was racist, but it was understood.

Posts: 10761 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a worthy parody of Simon and Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence" (Confounds the Science).

quote:
...When he talks to crowds of four
he sees ten thousand maybe more,
believing they all think he’s god on earth
and was the product of a virgin birth
and if you disagree you’re the victim of fake news...

[ 27. August 2017, 17:02: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posts: 10761 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm aware of what Fox was reported to have said.

My state of bafflement remains unassuaged.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is a man who lives purely in the present, and what he said ten months, or ten days, or ten minutes ago, has no effect on what emerges from his mouth (or his Twitter finger) at this present moment. Consistency is for little people.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
whenever I see the word unassuaged I feel like cooking a frankfurter. The feeling is stronger when I see assuage.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 923 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timing is everything. From NPR a little less than two weeks ago: Trump Rolls Back Obama-Era Flood Standards For Infrastructure Projects.

This seems like it might be more relevant today.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10303 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't heard about that.

Do you think he is smart enough to push these things through when people are (rightly) focussed on other egregious acts he has committed? What is being missed by the general populace, or the standard interested observer, when decrying Nazis takes up the headlines (as it should) and gets all the attention (as it should get some, a lot, of attention): what sneaks under the radar?

I know he is not the first to do this...our politicians reveal/sneak through things on Friday evening or when other events are on the agenda, but does he operate this way generally? Can we be too focussed on certain events (probably can never be too focussed on Nazis...can't believe I'm typing that in 2017), and miss more terrible things?

Posts: 7340 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Racist donny pardons racist joey. Ain't that sweet.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T is supposed to go survey the Harvey flood damage Tuesday. Betcha he will say something stupid, offensive, or wildly ignorant. Or go for the triple crown?

What in the world did those poor people do to be cursed with a visit from him???

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17567 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
What in the world did those poor people do to be cursed with a visit from him???

Voted for him. 74% of them did anyway.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he's going to build the greatest, bigliest, beautifullest ark ever and save all the Texans except of course the bad hombres.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 394 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

That may be part of it; but presidents are expected to show up for disasters. I just think the folks affected by Harvey have enough problems without T showing up and saying something stupid.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17567 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the people of the Houston area have enough to deal with without all of the logistics (security, road closures, etc.) of a presidential visit.
[Mad]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9265 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Disasters in the US call for great dexterity from politicians. Even one wrong photograph can throw the entire presidency off when it goes viral. (Example: the one of GWB looking out of his helicopter window at Katrina flooding, giving us that 'rich guy surveys the suffering peons from on high' vibe, from which he never recovered.)
Or one off-the-cuff comment. (Example: Mayor Marion Barry in sunny Palm Springs while his city was digging out of a major blizzard. He said, "It'll melt." True! But against a backdrop of palm trees and golf courses it excited fury. He was voted out next November, and his name is still a regional byword in snow removal.)
And when you say 'deft political footwork' the current incumbent is not the first image that leaps into your brain. So the possibilities for disaster loom large.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
And the people of the Houston area have enough to deal with without all of the logistics (security, road closures, etc.) of a presidential visit.
[Mad]

Well, the roads are already closed, so there's one less thing they have to worry about.

I'm surprised someone hasn't said (perhaps they have) that natural disasters such as this are God's way of showing his displeasure over the election results.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10187 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

Not sure where you're getting that number from. Texas as a whole voted for Trump by a margin of 53% vs. 44% for Clinton. The specific places he's visiting (last I heard) are Corpus Christi (49%/47% Trump/Clinton split) and Austin (which Clinton carried 66% to 27%. A couple counties in the Houston suburbs (Montgomery and Grimes) did indeed go for Trump 74%, but he's not visiting either of those place, as far as I know. Harris County, where most of Houston is located, was carried by Clinton 54%/42%.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Disasters in the US call for great dexterity from politicians. Even one wrong photograph can throw the entire presidency off when it goes viral. (Example: the one of GWB looking out of his helicopter window at Katrina flooding, giving us that 'rich guy surveys the suffering peons from on high' vibe, from which he never recovered.)

Along with the memorable "Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job"

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 10863 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mistake, I misread Houston County for Houston.

There are plenty of Counties with >70% and some >80% for Trump in Texas. Houston is >70%, it's just I now know that Houston is 100km from Houston, which is in fact in Harris.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Or one off-the-cuff comment. (Example: Mayor Marion Barry in sunny Palm Springs while his city was digging out of a major blizzard. He said, "It'll melt." True! But against a backdrop of palm trees and golf courses it excited fury. He was voted out next November, and his name is still a regional byword in snow removal.)
And when you say 'deft political footwork' the current incumbent is not the first image that leaps into your brain. So the possibilities for disaster loom large.

Sitting alone in a conference room at Camp David with an untouched notepad in front of you while your Vice President and cabinet gather in the White House situation room seems like starting off on the wrong metaphorical foot to be deft.

I worry that the American press is so desperate for Trump to be normal and competent that they'll manufacture a narrative to that effect no matter what happens. The late David Broder's column on how George Bush's handling of Hurricane Katrina was going to save his presidency comes to mind as an example of this in action.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
[

I'm surprised someone hasn't said (perhaps they have) that natural disasters such as this are God's way of showing his displeasure over the election results.

Tch. Haven't you heard? Everybody knows that it's gay people He's smiting.

I think it was C.S. Lewis who said that pain is the final desperate touch of reality. Yeah, the columnists can spin and spin. (David Brooks has been an idiot for years.) But the people standing chest deep in flood water, they are touching reality. And they cannot be fooled, if the government screws it up. Bush deserved all the stick he got and more. Bullshit falls apart, in the face of real disasters.

[ 29. August 2017, 15:35: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

Tch. Haven't you heard? Everybody knows that it's gay people He's smiting.
Fred Clark put together a list of the worst storms in American history and the sins that caused God to send them. Bear in mind that theometeorology is still a field in its infancy.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Ooh, a real word? or is it your own brilliant neologism?
Another example of the maturity and realism of the subject of this topic. As you recall, there had been Craigslist ads for hiring of actors (of color only, please, no white people need apply) to fill in the crowd. Clearly they had not hired enough; perhaps the new guy in the job will have the foresight to pay $15 an hour next time.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting comment on Hurricane Harvey and climate change:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41082668

The Supremest And Bigliest Leader would, of course, deny this. Doubtless Harvey, to him, is punishment from God for the poor turn-out at his Phoenix Monologue.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8522 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting there as soon it was safe enough - The Donald has actually done something right.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8652 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Although if you seek out the pictures, his wife is dressed in 4 inch high heels. Just what you need for a flood zone, yes!

[ 29. August 2017, 21:37: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone explain to me why the President has been pictured sitting inside in his briefing room at Camp David wearing a baseball cap?

Is it normal for American men to wear hats indoors? That's not my experience, but perhaps it's different in other parts of the country.

Posts: 4679 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leorning: There is nothing normal about this President. NOTHING.

The hat is a prop to appeal to his elderly blue-collar supporters.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6230 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If that is the white one that says USA on the front and TRUMP in the back, he is selling them on his web site. Remember the real purpose of this presidency.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Someone has -- and gotten fired for it.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9265 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Someone has -- and gotten fired for it.
This whole fucking country is one big hypocrisy.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62906 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dare I inject a hope of optimism?

The sustained resistance.
The, at times, lone voice crying sense in the wilderness.
Some very good journalists who don't treat these issues as simple, but understand the complexity and nuance involved.
And more.

Sure, there are problems. And I don't want to use the G word as it has Trump taint, but you are still pretty damn fantastic in many ways.

Posts: 7340 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

[sniffs. Wipes eyes]

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
If that is the white one that says USA on the front and TRUMP in the back, he is selling them on his web site. Remember the real purpose of this presidency.

Reportedly, the campaign was so T could get leverage for renegotiating with NBC execs re his "Celebrity Apprentice" show. (Per his friend Howard Stern.) And he never, ever wanted to do the work of the presidency--said during the campaign by both T and his campaign manager. (Manafort?)

Of course, now that he is (sigh) president, it's all about him, and people liking him, how little work he can get away with, and getting out of that "dump" of a house as often as possible.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Can anyone explain to me why the President has been pictured sitting inside in his briefing room at Camp David wearing a baseball cap?

Is it normal for American men to wear hats indoors? That's not my experience, but perhaps it's different in other parts of the country.

His hair stylist probably didn't have time to do the backcombing of his thatch.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12473 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is it normal for American men to wear hats indoors?

It is rather common (in every sense of the word). Miss Amanda's experience is that few gentlemen (and, alas, few ladies) know the rules of etiquette anymore.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10187 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Hat, gentleman, trump
We're talking important things

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
quote:

Reportedly, the campaign was so T could get leverage for renegotiating with NBC execs re his "Celebrity Apprentice" show. (Per his friend Howard Stern.) And he never, ever wanted to do the work of the presidency--said during the campaign by both T and his campaign manager. (Manafort?)

Of course, now that he is (sigh) president, it's all about him, and people liking him, how little work he can get away with, and getting out of that "dump" of a house as often as possible.

Would that were so! No, the real goal is to funnel as much money into his businesses and pockets while the going is good. Which is why, if you are a lobbyist, a foreign delegation, or in any way hoping to do business with the US government, you would be wise to stay at the Trump Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue ($500 a night, but if you can't afford that he doesn't want to see you anyway). Also the diplomatic functions at his various properties, the using of public funds for the laddish sons to skate around the world doing deals, etc. Not to mention the energetic effort to cut taxes for the .01% and the doing of deals with Russia.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Is it normal for American men to wear hats indoors?

It is rather common (in every sense of the word). Miss Amanda's experience is that few gentlemen (and, alas, few ladies) know the rules of etiquette anymore.
Common. It is a horrible term. Most especially grating when voiced by an American,* but awful anywhere.
Etiquette is another excuse for classicism.

*Because they are supposed to be a classless society.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16541 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

In some instances, yes. But not always. It used to be men of every class knew not to wear a hat or cap indoors. It's not hard to take one's cap off when entering a building; not like memorizing which fork to use or which shoes to wear to what kind of affair. Those elements of "etiquette" definitely reinforce classism. The hat thing, not so much.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62906 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

Product placement. The hat is available for $40 from the Trump campaign.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was somewhat bemused that watching TV all weekend was apparently 'monitoring the situation'.
Posts: 3699 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

In some instances, yes. But not always. It used to be men of every class knew not to wear a hat or cap indoors. It's not hard to take one's cap off when entering a building; not like memorizing which fork to use or which shoes to wear to what kind of affair. Those elements of "etiquette" definitely reinforce classism. The hat thing, not so much.
Hats are an example of trickle down etiquette, not absence of its classicism.
Etiquette is designed to separate. Why is wearing a hat indoors disrespectful? Why is wearing one outdoors "proper"?
What to wear, when to wear it and others things are artificial and the rules for doing so are bound to class as, until relative recently, the rich were the only ones with access to the rule books and the time to read them.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16541 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, as The Great Pomegranate peddles his trumpery headgear to the unfortunates of Texas, Kim Wrong-Trim is busy chucking missiles out of his pram.

What price Armageddon next week?

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8522 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Hats are an example of trickle down etiquette, not absence of its classicism.
Etiquette is designed to separate. Why is wearing a hat indoors disrespectful? Why is wearing one outdoors "proper"?
What to wear, when to wear it and others things are artificial and the rules for doing so are bound to class as, until relative recently, the rich were the only ones with access to the rule books and the time to read them.

//Tangent

So my saying "please", "thank you", holding a door open, addressing my unintroduced elders (hell, unintroduced anyone), as "Sir" or "Ma'am", "Mr Smith", "Mrs Jones" perpetuates an oppressive class system?

To answer the hat question, removing one's hat is a sign of respect. Even outdoors, one removes one's hat at the passing of a funeral cortege, anthem, hymn, prayer, minute of silence, etc. Or throw it into the air with a "Huzzah!" when the Revolution is declared. (And shortly thereafter lilBuddha will have me up against the wall as a bourgeois counter-revolutionary fashion formalist, my cravat properly knotted and I refusing cigarette and blindfold.)

And the whole "which fork?" thing is an absolute canard. It's cutlery, not astrophysics.

Ranting tangent concluded//

[ 30. August 2017, 21:16: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People don't normally get their etiquette from books. Ideally you get it from your parents, teachers, Scoutmaster, etc. Or from anybody at church or in the community who sees you screwing up.

(I took on that role a couple weeks ago when the pep squad at my son's school decided the appropriate way to hold a flag while sitting was to drape it along the ground. Like, dudes. We don't do that. Though I've no doubt they meant well.)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

Quite. I was appalled when I moved into a men's residence, and witnessed the most unbelievable stabbing and torturing of the meat on the plate. Following etiquette would actually have made the whole endeavour easier. I felt sorry for them that their parents hadn't taken the time with them, and was then eternally grateful to my mother. At the time I thought that she was being a bitch, but I've learned that she prepared me for all levels of society. I know the 'proper way,' comme il faut*, but never to use it as a cudgel. People are eating ribs with their hands? Use your hands. Using a fork and knife would just mark you out as a doofus.

The thing is, if everyone knows the rules, no one will feel embarrassed, and can just concentrate on the company.

I can't recall the last time that I saw an etiquette manual.

*as is required

[ 30. August 2017, 21:46: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have one right here on my desk. It is very old.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016