homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  46  47  48 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following that bit of information, is there any hope that Trump's Nuclear Football is just a dummy, connected only to a computer game?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 423 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a graphic novel in here somewhere. Rocket Man versus Tiny Fingers: The Stupidest Apocalypse Ever.
Posts: 10926 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
There's a graphic novel in here somewhere. Rocket Man versus Tiny Fingers: The Stupidest Apocalypse Ever.

... with the worst hair.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9363 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
BTW, T periodically makes noises about stopping White House press briefings altogether, and sending out memos instead.

Not much of a threat. Now that the WH has no compulsion to avoid ever the appearance of falsehood they're an exercise in irrelevant political theater. We're u a cash-strapped editor or news director I wouldn't spend a dime covering them. Maybe pick up a free intern or two from a high school journalism class to catch a pic on their cell phone in case Sarah or someone does something really amazing like turn into a bat and fly out the window. Otherwise I'd Devote all my resources to old school investigative journalism

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 10973 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eirenist:
quote:
The London Times reports that the US anti-missile weapons are not, in fact, 100% effective under operational conditions against long- or intermediate-range rockets.
According to Murphy's Law, there's no such thing as an anti-missile weapon that's 100% effective. Anyone who thinks there is, is fooling themselves. Or standing for re-election.
Posts: 3904 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, speaking of ranges, Kim Wrong-Trim has (accurately, perhaps?) described The Barking Dog as 'deranged':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41356836

Yes, I know, pot - kettle, kettle - pot...

[Help]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8925 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I listened to Manu Macron’s speech to the UN last night. Don’t know how much coverage it’s been getting in the English-speaking world. (He made the speech in French, which feels like a political decision to me. He would have been more than capable of delivering it in English had he wanted to. These days the President of France speaks considerably better English than the President of the United States [Snigger] .)

Anyway, Macron likes international aid (albeit less than people at home have been saying France should contribute, but that’s another story), especially health and education projects and improving the situation of women. He believes that climate change is a thing, and Something Must be Done and the Paris accords must be upheld. He wants the nuclear proliferation agreements with Iran to hold and categorically refuses any kind of escalation of the situation with North Korea. Now I don’t mean to brag but can I mention how I am feeling quite happy to be a resident of a (mostly) sane country?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<wonders if she is really too old to emigrate to a sane country>
Posts: 3904 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, France is not too far away, and is indeed IMNSHO a sane and (mostly) civilised country, but you'd better get a move on, as Nibiru arrives tomorrow...

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 8925 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good News! The Donald has finally got around to thinking about Africa, addressing a meeting of African heads of state in New York.

Bad News! The Donald has invented a new country - Nambia. No one was sure whether he meant Gambia, Zambia or Namibia. White House officials later confirmed he meant Namibia.

President Hage Geingob of Namibia was present when The Donald made the latest gaffe <awkward> [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4631 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Good News! The Donald has finally got around to thinking about Africa, addressing a meeting of African heads of state in New York.

Bad News! The Donald has invented a new country - Nambia. No one was sure whether he meant Gambia, Zambia or Namibia. White House officials later confirmed he meant Namibia.

President Hage Geingob of Namibia was present when The Donald made the latest gaffe <awkward> [Ultra confused]

Ignoring the fact that this "gaffe" was already covered up-thread, my first thought was maybe Nambia was one of the 57 states Barry visited during his campaign...
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1392 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we start comparing mistakes, Trump wins for his speeches before he was elected and continues his considerable lead nearly every time he opens his mouth.

Meaning Trump says stupid things more often. I know, this should be obvious, but...

[ 22. September 2017, 17:51: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16754 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
If we start comparing mistakes, Trump wins for his speeches before he was elected and continues his considerable lead nearly every time he opens his mouth.

Meaning Trump says stupid things more often. I know, this should be obvious, but...

A fair argument can be made that Barry deserves a writer's credit on all of Donald's gaffes, as it was his leadership and policy priorities that led to the decimation of his party and ultimately, the election of Trump.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

A fair argument can be made that Barry deserves a writer's credit on all of Donald's gaffes, as it was his leadership and policy priorities that led to the decimation of his party and ultimately, the election of Trump.
Right. [Roll Eyes] If you are going to write farce, there is no point in engaging you.
Wait, I apologise, that is not accurate. There was no point in engaging your posts in the first place.

--------------------

Posts: 16754 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now. Perhaps he is trying to say what Ta-Nehisi Coates
says more cogently in the Atlantic. Thus:

"Replacing Obama is not enough—Trump has made the negation of Obama’s legacy the foundation of his own. And this too is whiteness. “Race is an idea, not a fact,” the historian Nell Irvin Painter has written, and essential to the construct of a “white race” is the idea of not being a nigger. Before Barack Obama, niggers could be manufactured out of Sister Souljahs, Willie Hortons, and Dusky Sallys. But Donald Trump arrived in the wake of something more potent—an entire nigger presidency with nigger health care, nigger climate accords, and nigger justice reform, all of which could be targeted for destruction or redemption, thus reifying the idea of being white. Trump truly is something new—the first president whose entire political existence hinges on the fact of a black president. And so it will not suffice to say that Trump is a white man like all the others who rose to become president. He must be called by his rightful honorific—America’s first white president."

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5476 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

But he's ORANGE!!

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Except that Obama's policies etc. were a reaction to the blunders of George W. Bush. Although, to be fair to GWB, he was reacting to the sheer debacle of the Clinton years. And those years were a reaction to the incompetence of....oh, let's just cut to the chase. It is all George Washington's fault.

Trump's Blunderstorm at the UN is a rookie mistake. He is approaching things like a businessman rather than a politician. In business, it makes sense to talk tough and strong and figure that you can then get concessions from the other party who don't want to risk it. But international politics does not work like that. Rather, Kimmie Jo can do exactly what he has done and point to the bluster and say "See! This justifies what I have been doing. He is threatening North Korea's interest and, because I follow a 'North Korea First' policy (which Trump endorses--every nation should look out for their own self interest), what I am doing is right and proper." In short, Trump has validated Kimmie Jo.

Traditionally, the way it should be played is that the president is measured and restrained in comments, while letting the diplomatic corps talk tough. This allows the nation to gain good will from other nations ("See how the president is trying to resolve things fairly!") while the diplomatic corps can get concessions with threats of escalation that are more realistic and practical than "we will crush you". The way Trump has done it, the other nations pull away from the US ("See how unrealistic the president is! That is not a workable approach!") and the diplomatic corps has little leverage to work with.

There is a reason Teddy Roosevelt said "Speak softly and carry a big stick." It is a time-tested approach that works.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2630 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

Except that Obama's policies
tut, tut, tut, Hedgehog. Everything is Obama's fault.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You George Washington Apologists give me a pain.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2630 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

Except that Obama's policies
tut, tut, tut, Hedgehog. Everything is Obama's fault.
Well, not everything but he sucked...

Just like 9/11 wasn't GWB's fault, the current state of affairs didn't just appear since the election of Trump, domestic or international...

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The check-engine light went on in my car when Obama was inaugurated, and no one has been able to fix it. How could anyone not agree that it's his fault?

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching a rather left wing news channel (The Young Turks) that YouTube recommended, and they made mention of a smaller round of tax cuts (700 mill?), as opposed to the larger ones to come.

I didn't really follow... Are there tax cuts linked to the repeal of the ACA, or it is this another bill? They were mentioning Republican donors are none too happy currently, nor are those of Democrats to the right, as they have not got what they were "promised". If true, it seems pretty blatant votes for favours. But then again companies donate to parties here, and I'm sure it's not out of love for democracy.

Posts: 7415 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So when the DPRNK aitch bomb goes off flawlessly exoatmospherically with no fallout after passing harmlessly over Japan ... will the playground language stop?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16702 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, DPRK.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16702 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes. One of the great semi-secrets of the health care reform drive is that it has to happen this year, I think within the next month or so. If it doesn't, then it will actually have to make sense financially. (At some point in the past Congress passed itself a get-out-of-jail-free card about legislation adding up financially, but it expires soon.)
The key thing for them is to cut Medicare and Medicaid as hard as possible. They need to scrape vast sums out of these programs, which can then be applied to a tax cut for billionaires. No health care legislation, no tax cut. And then the billionaires, they'll be so sad!
This is why the Koch brothers (billionaires) are so set on it.
So, to summarize: it has to be done, and it has to be done soon. Otherwise some deserving people will no longer be able to afford that third yacht.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

The most powerful man in the world thinks it is a smart move to publicly insult a touchy paranoid dictator with nuclear weapons. We should all start praying now, if we aren't already.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In response to Brenda's quote about race, I have a fantasy where I go up to a fascist rally and ask the fascists their surnames. If there are any that sound southern European, I denounce them to the assembled fascists on the grounds that they are not sufficiently white. When they shout me down, I accuse them of being liberal infiltrators. In my dream, I don't get my head bashed in.

White racism in Australia (circa 1950 - 1980?) used to target anyone whose antecedents didn't come from the British Isles, but if you had a British accent of some sort, then you were also hated a bit on the grounds that you were a whinging pom and a likely player of wogball (the round ball game). That meant that Greeks, Italians, Dutch, Germans etc were openly despised. The White Australia Policy kept most other people out a policy that formally ended in the 1970's.

These days, if you look "white" the racist right will take you, no matter what your surname. The East Asians copped it big time in the 1990's, but now the Muslims are getting it, which means anybody brown regardless of their faith I reckon. Religious hatred has a proud history in Australia, with Catholic/Protestant sectarianism rampant for generations.

So much for our vaunted egalitarian mateship.

--------------------
Liar, hypocrite, manipulator, thief.

Posts: 1071 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Dear God. And to think that Uklander people actually want (or perhaps, more accurately) wanted to emigrate to Oz...

...OTOH, maybe it is the right place for Little Uklanders, on account of being A Long Way from that horrid Europe, though I certainly wouldn't wish them on you Ozzies.

@Eirenist - O, we are praying very hard, believe you me. What with The Barking Dog, and Kim Wrong-Trim, who needs Nibiru?

IJ

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
The most powerful man in the world thinks it is a smart move to publicly insult a touchy paranoid dictator with nuclear weapons. We should all start praying now, if we aren't already.

For what?

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
For what?

The end to come swiftly?

--------------------
arse

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is prophecy?

Eagles...did not love goblins...they swooped on them and drove them shrieking back to their caves.
-JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit, published 80 years ago.

Posts: 10926 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, yes - but the end of what...or of whom ?

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

Bishop's Finger, I believe that New Zealand rather than Oz is where good UKlanders want to go, on account of it being (according to my Kiwi son-in-law) stuck in the '70s. If he is misleading me, I apologise to any offended Kiwis.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, now I come to think of it, others have said that Kiwiland is like Ukland was years ago, only better...

IJ

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

They want to go there when they die, perhaps?

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Brenda. Much appreciated.

And now I read he is picking fights with football players...will it play well in any demographic?

Posts: 7415 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Thanks Brenda. Much appreciated.

And now I read he is picking fights with football players...will it play well in any demographic?

Yep. They understand he's picking a fight with black football players and BLM. Plus he screamed 'You're fired!'. His supporters loved it.

And what's with the candy-cane tie? It's not even October yet.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5354 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please explain Trump's row with the NFL.

And why does kneeling for the national anthem cause him such anger? Is this war of words and actions all about racism or something else?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12608 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Can anyone explain what goes on inside what passes for The Barking Dog's mind?

[Confused]

IJ

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Can anyone explain what goes on inside what passes for The Barking Dog's mind?

[Confused]

IJ

me mine me mine me mine me mine me mine nice ass me mine me mine me mine me mine screw you arsehole me mine me mine me mine oh she likes me me mine me mine me mine me mine .....

--------------------
Liar, hypocrite, manipulator, thief.

Posts: 1071 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't he just putting down uppity niggers?

--------------------
no path

Posts: 9563 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

@quetzalcoatl - alas, yes, I suspect you're right.

@simontoad - you left out 'pussy'...

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

@simontoad - you left out 'pussy'...

...and "covfefe."

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9363 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

And why does kneeling for the national anthem cause him such anger? Is this war of words and actions all about racism or something else?

It's a combo of racism and flag fetishism-- both of which play well with his base.

The reality is, I'm hard pressed to think of a more respectful, more peaceful, more appropriate and yes, patriotic, form of protest than to "take a knee".

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 10973 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
It's a combo of racism and flag fetishism

It's what happens when you turn patriotism into a religion, as has been happening in some quarters of the US for quite a while now. Suddenly things like The Flag become your icons, The President becomes your High Priest, the police and armed forces become Defenders Of The Faith (and/or martyrs) and The Constitution becomes Holy Writ.

It follows that any form of disrespect - real or perceived - to any of those things becomes blasphemy. And blasphemy must be eradicated.........

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29860 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what my (non-American) wife thought too, seeing the pictures.
Posts: 9318 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Is there no end to the Barking Dog's Belligerent Bellyaching? What a total and utter disaster the wretched man is...

Where's Nibiru, just when you need It?

BTW, if Worship Of The Flag is the new religion of America, where do the swivel-eyed fundamentalist right-wing loons stand on the issue? Do they worship The Flag as well as their tiny-minded, evil, little god?

IJ

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

One thread, (at least according to the guardian), it seems that one player said they weren't fussed about going to the whitehouse... and somehow it escalated so the whole team didn't want to go/weren't invited because they weren't invited/didn't want to go.

Which partly falls on who has a duty to follow convention. I'm pretty sure it's one where the 'obvious truths' would flip for both sides were it 9 years ago. So I'm going to be a bit cautious of following my instincts.

That said, it's easier to think of counter-motivational actions for Donald to have said or done in the first place than average presidents. (whereas I don't know anything about the players other relationships)

And I'm sure most of the other presidents (anywhere and anywhen) would have had a bit more business style acumen and made it a boring story.

PS I don't think they worship the flag as well as their God.

[ 24. September 2017, 19:12: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyway, this is yet another example of something that would never have happened under Obama. (Or Clinton.) I thought LeBron James' tweet was the best: "Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!"

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5354 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

BTW, if Worship Of The Flag is the new religion of America, where do the swivel-eyed fundamentalist right-wing loons stand on the issue? Do they worship The Flag as well as their tiny-minded, evil, little god?

IJ

Oh yes indeed they do, although to be fair they've done so for decades-- Donald is just playing to a pre-existing cult. One 4th of July Sunday years ago I was guest preaching and counted 30 some flags decorating the sanctuary

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  46  47  48 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016