homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 41)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
The pea I was referring to was the hypocritical, manufactured outrage at everything Trump does/doesn't do, says/doesn't say, is/isn't.

quote:
"First of all, we are very grateful for the administration. They have responded quickly.

The president has been very attentive to the situation, personally calling me several times. FEMA and the FEMA director have been here in Puerto Rico twice. As a matter of fact, they were here with us today, making sure that all the resources in FEMA were working in conjunction with the central government.

We have been working together. We have been getting results. The magnitude of this catastrophe is enormous. This is going to take a lot of help, a lot of collaboration."

-Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rossello

Left to starve? You should call the Governor and let him know. Maybe he's missed it.

Is that the same Ricardo Rossello who was "hypocritical[ly] manufactur[ing] outrage" by petitioning for the lifting of the Jones Act? Luckily you're here to tell him he's whining about a "pea under the mattress". [Roll Eyes]

Oh okay, so now he's a dick?

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be too rude to suggest that I think you got the wrong end of that stick Romanlion [Smile]

Oh and I see Trump has made yet another blunder by appointing Tom Price. I think he only did it because the block has the same name as a mine in Western Australia, and Trump loves mines. Poor old Donald. He thought he knew all the best people [Smile]

[ 30. September 2017, 07:15: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry I'll try that again:

Oh and I see Trump made yet another blunder by appointing Tom Price. I think he only did it because the bloke has the same name as a mine in Western Australia, and Trump loves mines. Poor old Donald. He thought he knew all the best people, but it turns out they were duds.

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see he is castigating Puerto Rico for being needy following the devastation they suffered from the hurricane. Says "they want everything done for them."

There really are no words strong enough to describe the inhumanity of this so-called man. There's just nowhere to begin to describe his despicableness.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

There really are no words strong enough to describe the inhumanity of this so-called man. There's just nowhere to begin to describe his despicableness.

Every time I think he's gone as low as he can go... he surprises me by sinking even deeper.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Every time I think he's gone as low as he can go... he surprises me by sinking even deeper.
Yes. I've stopped saying things like "it doesn't get any lower than this" because he seems to hear it as a personal challenge.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A psychopath surrounded by Nazis, what could possibly be beneath him ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Race mongers for starters...

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Race mongers for starters...
Right. He is that too.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I see he is castigating Puerto Rico for being needy following the devastation they suffered from the hurricane. Says "they want everything done for them."

Yes. Some people I've heard are assuming it's just because PRs are (generally) brown-skinned people. Except he helped both Texas and Florida, which have lots of brown-skinned people, too.

So I speculate that it may be more that PR isn't on the mainland, and it doesn't register as "American" with him.

I think that, much of the time, he wanders around in a short-sighted daze, ringed round with fog. So he's got his very small world, maybe stage-size. And he can hear some things through the fog, but they often don't make much sense.

It will be interesting to see how T reacts to actually visiting PR--Tuesday, IIRC. (If he even goes through with it.) I strongly advise PR to rustle up as many US flags as they can, even damaged ones, and put them all over, especially where T will land. That might just catch his interest, and prompt him to help.

I gather he's been dealing with the governor. I almost hope he meets the mayor of San Juan, the capital. (Though I'm not sure I should wish that on *her*.) She spoke to the media, trying to prod the US gov't to help them. Didn't work, so she put out a call for anyone who could hear her to help. IIRC, she also said some not-so-nice things about the US gov't. (Not blaming her, but might be counter-productive.)

What I really don't understand is why they haven't loaded up big Chinook helicopters (or whatever the current thing is) and just lower/air-drop water and basic food? In some of the coverage, military (?) involved commented that, well, we've got this logistical problem and that (can't land, no truck drivers, etc.); and, if we can't conquer those, then we could lower supplies.

So why haven't they done that??? People are starving!!!

You know, if China, Russia, or other not-fond-of-the-US countries swarmed in with supplies, they'd have quite a PR coup by helping PR.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Trump v Americans in lots of trouble

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot the key thing. Texas and Florida voted for him, and have many electoral college votes. PR isn't even a state. Everything for Lyin' Don revolves around himself, solely. Nothing else exists.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, evidently the PR governor is acknowledging problems with getting aid (Yahoo).

quote:
Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló told CBS just two days ago that thousands of shipping containers with food, water and medicine are just sitting in the port of San Juan not being distributed. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is disputing those claims.

On Friday morning, Deputy FEMA Administrator Daniel Kaniewski told CNN that the containers in the San Juan port likely hold retail goods and not hurricane relief supplies.

...how hard would it be to break the containers open...

Grrrrrr.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PR is south of the bigly beatiful wall.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Brenda--

Yeah, I forgot voting would be a factor for him.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or perhaps he thinks it's connected to Mexico in some way.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, but...I thought Barking Mad was providing Puerto Rico (full of Brown, Bad Hombres though it might be) with the bigliest, most beautifullest federal aid any President ever in the whole world has ever given anyone, anywhere?

Am I wrong?

[Help]

O, you poor Americans. May you soon be relieved of this intolerable incubus (by non-violent means, of course - TIACW).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Well, evidently the PR governor is acknowledging problems with getting aid (Yahoo).

quote:
Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló told CBS just two days ago that thousands of shipping containers with food, water and medicine are just sitting in the port of San Juan not being distributed. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is disputing those claims.

On Friday morning, Deputy FEMA Administrator Daniel Kaniewski told CNN that the containers in the San Juan port likely hold retail goods and not hurricane relief supplies.

Grrrrrr.

Nothing to it with a pair of bolt cutters, but I'm pretty sure it's private property under seal and that would be considered looting.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It will be interesting to see how T reacts to actually visiting PR--Tuesday, IIRC.

It will be more interesting to see how Puertorriqueños react to the Fartletter-in-Chief.

quote:
I almost hope he meets the mayor of San Juan, the capital. . . . She also said some not-so-nice things about the US gov't.
My friend who lives in San Juan says there's more to her than what we're seeing on TV. Of the three political factions -- those favoring status quo, those favoring independence, and those favoring statehood -- she apparently sits staunchly with the independistas and is not shy about it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, PR might well be better off as independent, perhaps aligning itself with China or Russia.

Just to p**s off The Barking Orange, of course.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nothing to it with a pair of bolt cutters, but I'm pretty sure it's private property under seal and that would be considered looting.

Well, if it's brown people doing it, sure. But if we can find a couple of white people to do the bolt-cutting then it's just surviving.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Well, if it's brown people doing it, sure. But if we can find a couple of white people to do the bolt-cutting then it's just surviving.
[Roll Eyes]

Right...nothing more critical to survival in a disaster than some new Jordan's and a PS4 no matter what color you are.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

You've got some secret intel on what's in those containers? Cuz that would be super helpful right now.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Not that romantroll would ever reveal that secret knowledge.

Starving trolls out of existence is the only answer.

IJ

--------------------

Gwai
Host
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop's Finger, don't call people names in Purgatory please whether or not you think it is earned. And yes "troll" definitely counts as a name.

Gwai
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I hear and obey.

Apologies for stepping over the mark.

[Hot and Hormonal]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

(Forgot to add that I mistook my whereabouts, and thought I was in Hell. Too much WHISKY after lunch, perhaps. Even so, Hostly admonition duly taken).

IJ

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
nothing more critical to survival in a disaster than some new Jordan's

Do you know what happens to sneakers soaked in swamp water? Have you ever tried walking across rocky ground barefoot? Maybe some new Jordans would be just the thing.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the shipping containers held more food packets, diapers, toiletries, bottled water, medicines, etc. than they do Jordans.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

Grrrrrr.

Picture the overwhelming goodwill around the world if some people overcame the red tape which prevented relief goods paid for by the US public getting to people in need and then being accused of looting by mean-spirited public servants who should have been doing their best to move the goods to those in need.

Good 'optics' / bad 'optics' ?

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Optics aren’t important to someone who chiefly looks in the mirror.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was running Cuba, I might be offering aid to Puerto Rico, and in a very public fashion.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just bolt cutters needed. It's trucks, to move materiel out to where people are. It's bulldozers, to clear the ruined roads for those trucks. It's drivers, for those bulldozers and trucks, and the diesel fuel to make them go. This all could and should have been thought about well in advance -- a preparation that calls for maturity, forethought and planning. These are not the words that first pop into your mind when you think about the current incumbent.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It's not just bolt cutters needed. It's trucks, to move materiel out to where people are. It's bulldozers, to clear the ruined roads for those trucks. It's drivers, for those bulldozers and trucks, and the diesel fuel to make them go. This all could and should have been thought about well in advance -- a preparation that calls for maturity, forethought and planning. These are not the words that first pop into your mind when you think about the current incumbent.

Because the top responsibility of the POTUS is and always has been disaster preparedness in storm prone island territories.

Local officials there have met their responsibility by appearing for the cameras in custom printed "Help us. We are dying" t-shirts.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Your post must be some sort of satire. Because only a complete idiot could fail to be aware that the president could expedite aid. And only someone spending all their energy whacking off to Alex Jones could fail to have seen coverage of Puerto Ricans putting in great effort to help each other.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because the top responsibility of the POTUS is and always has been disaster preparedness in storm prone island territories. ...

Well, sure, yeah, right. It's not like his fat 73-year-old ass would be any use in an emergency, so why shouldn't he go golfing? He swore an oath to defend the Constitution against foreign and domestic enemies and the Constitution is safe in the National Archives and doesn't need food or water or medical aid. You're quite right, there's nothing about protecting the people from natural disasters in President's oath of office. Drumpf actually believes it is his duty to expose citizens to danger. That's why he's rescinded those pesky executive orders about reinforcing infrastructure to take into account future climate changes.

romanlion, you know why "disaster preparedness in storm prone island territories" isn't in POTUS' job description? Because no President before Drumpf needed to be told.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

Bingo.

And along with all that machinery, you also need staff. But FEMA was already drastically understaffed leading into hurricane season, even for normal conditions. Because it turns out hiring people is boooorrring. Being presidential is supposed to be all about parades and extra scoops of ice cream and speeches and having lots of big guns that go boom boom boom. Not boring stuff like hiring staff and allocating resources for trucks or figuring out they need fuel to run on. Booooring.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:

romanlion, you know why "disaster preparedness in storm prone island territories" isn't in POTUS' job description?

Because it isn't his responsibility?

Because Mayors? Governors?

Speaking of Mayors and disaster, what's good 'ol Ray Nagin up to these days?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He must have sold his soul to the Devil as nothing hurts him, like Putin. He can do no wrong. Whereas Theresa May and now Spain are walking dead for their single moments of political ineptitude.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
He must have sold his soul to the Devil as nothing hurts him, like Putin.

You've got a few extra words there. Here, I'll fix it for you:

He sold his soul to the Devil: Putin

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

If only Bush hadn't realised too late why disaster relief has to be a Presidential responsibility.

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is so, so not rocket science. You do not need to be a genius to grasp this. Disaster management and prep is well known and easy to do. All you need is forethought and planning and funding -- in advance.
Shall we list all the other things, that are not getting the forethought and planning and are also not particle physics in difficulty? Things like drug and food safety, or repairing dams. Or, for that matter, having the websites up and running so that people can sign up for Obamacare. (They've cunningly taken them down for repair.)
One is forced to conclude that no, he doesn't care whether people die or not. Not if it interferes with the golf game, certainly.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that was fast! Only three days from no way is Trump abandoning people to die to Trump should abandon people to die 'cuz it's not his job to protect Americans.

quote:
Yes. Some people I've heard are assuming it's just because PRs are (generally) brown-skinned people. Except he helped both Texas and Florida, which have lots of brown-skinned people, too.

So I speculate that it may be more that PR isn't on the mainland, and it doesn't register as "American" with him.

Another possibility is that Trump only knows what he sees on television:

quote:
Hurricanes Harvey and Irene were massive cable television events that dominated coverage on all the networks. MSNBC went so all-in on storm news that they sent Chris Hayes out in a windbreaker to stand around in the wind in Naples, Florida.

But as Dhrumil Mehta has shown at 538, Maria was relatively invisible on cable.

“People on TV news shows spoke significantly fewer sentences about Hurricane Maria than about Hurricanes Harvey and Irma,” he writes, and “the spike in conversation about Puerto Rico right as the hurricane hit was also much smaller than the spike in mentions of Texas and Florida.”

Cable producers surely had their reasons for this. But something anyone in the media could tell you is that cable producers’ news judgment is not an infallible guide to the substantive importance of various stories. In particular, a broad range of issues — potentially including natural disasters in outlying US territories — have an asymmetrical quality to them, where if handled appropriately most people won’t care that much, but if botched it eventually becomes a big deal.

This is why traditionally presidents have relied upon staff and the massive information gathering capabilities of the American government for information rather than letting television set the agenda.
Trump has a different philosophy, however, and spent the post-storm Saturday glued to his television and letting the hosts of “Fox & Friends” drag him into an ill-advised Twitter spat with NFL stars.

Maybe paying attention to those daily briefings might be a good idea after all?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Unless he cancels it, he's supposed to go and visit PR next week. I wonder if hey'll believe the testimony of his own eyes, or whether it has to be on a screen.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

He'll assume it was all contrived by fake news media and Democrat-baited ingrate politicians -- and will tweet so!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
PR is south of the bigly beatiful wall.

Four prototypes are being built in S. Calif, reportedly about 30' by 30'.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
If I was running Cuba, I might be offering aid to Puerto Rico, and in a very public fashion.

Yup, I'd wondered about that, too. I don't know if they have any to spare, though--a lot of Cubans are in bad circumstances, as I understand it. However, I think the medical care is supposed to be good, if you can get it. Maybe give that kind of aid?

More fancifully:

If the Caribbean island territories, nations, etc. formed a union for mutual support and aid...

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
If only Bush hadn't realised too late why disaster relief has to be a Presidential responsibility.

On the first (?) anniversary of Katrina, Dubya met in New Orleans with NBC news anchor Brian Williams. The optics were great. BW stood solidly toe to toe with a nervous Dubya. (BW had a fall from professional grace, since then, but he got this bit right.)

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HCH:
[qb] If I was running Cuba, I might be offering aid to Puerto Rico, and in a very public fashion. .

They offered 2500 medical staff to Louisa after Katrina and more than their fair share to the African Ebola outbreak.

Currently "More than 750* health workers have arrived in Antigua, Barbuda, Saint Kitts, Nevis, Saint Lucia, the Bahamas, Dominica and Haiti." independent

They are it seems only offering PR a mobile hospital though havana times

[ 02. October 2017, 07:47: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
quote:

Perhaps the general who's supposedly in charge of helping out could simply commandeer the shipping containers? AIUI, there's plenty of precedence. Might wind up in court for years. And I don't know if his career/pension would be threatened. But he'd likely save lives, be an international hero, and possibly get a Nobel Peace Prize.

It's disturbing that FEMA said it's "probably" just consumer goods, and not aid. They don't know???

I'm no lawyer. But if someone formed a non-profit on behalf of PR, one that could receive donations that would count towards tax deductions, maybe owners of the crates could simply donate the containers' contents, and get tax deductions? Seems like a win/win.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
If I was running Cuba, I might be offering aid to Puerto Rico, and in a very public fashion. .

They offered 2500 medical staff to Louisa after Katrina and more than their fair share to the African Ebola outbreak.

Currently "More than 750* health workers have arrived in Antigua, Barbuda, Saint Kitts, Nevis, Saint Lucia, the Bahamas, Dominica and Haiti." independent

They are it seems only offering PR a mobile hospital though havana times

"Only"?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps the general who's supposedly in charge of helping out could simply commandeer the shipping containers? AIUI, there's plenty of precedence. Might wind up in court for years. And I don't know if his career/pension would be threatened. But he'd likely save lives, be an international hero, and possibly get a Nobel Peace Prize.
The U.S. government can simply appropriate what they like. Under the terms of the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment they have to provide "just compensation" (i.e. fair market value) to the previous owners, but it's something that could be done and for which there's already a large body of precedent.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016