homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 49)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian--

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
How was King George III handled when his porphyria-madness was active?

The Prince of Wales acted as regent for the remainder of George's life.

Do you really want T's son or son-in-law to step in? I guess it could not be worse, could it? [Ultra confused]

Um, I simply asked how it was handled. When I think of a British ruler who was mentally impaired, George III comes to mind. "The Madness Of King George", and all that.

I don't think anyone in that family, whether biologically or by marriage, is fit to be president. Some might do a better job.

[ 24. October 2017, 08:34: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
he even insists on always having two scoops of ice cream at official dinners, rather than the limit of one that everyone else gets (minor, but demonstrative);

Oh my.

You really couldn't make this up. You have made my day GK!

Honestly, I just saw Martin as calling for not attributing everything to Trump. Kind of like when I said I was cautious about war mistakes to him. But I am not American and living through the hell you are. And may be wrong.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet Manu Macron didn’t serve Trump two scoops of ice cream up the Eiffel Tower. In fact, I’m not sure there was ice cream at all. I’m fairly sure it was some very sophisticated haute cuisine that El Presidente didn’t enjoy very much. I highly doubt there was ketchup. [Snigger]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I thought his (alleged - but I hope it's true) comment regarding The Unspeakable Orange's inauguration speech was priceless:
quote:
“That was some weird shit.”
[Overused]

AIUI, Hillary quoted that on a Fox (?) show very recently, and Fox folks freaked out that she used a bad word on the air. I don't know if they tried to bleep it out. (Live TV and radio shows here have a delay of a few seconds between when something is said and when it's actually broadcast. Allows for bleeping out slips of the tongue.)

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re inauguration speech.

Have you heard of "erasure poetry"?

This is pretty fine: Inauguration Poem for Redacted

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This whole argument between Trump and the recent widow of a soldier killed on the battlefield is just extraordinary. It's like Trump is making a fist and punching himself in the face repeatedly. It would be so easy for the President to get out of this just by expressing his shock and grief that she feels as she does and saying something nice in public about her and her husband and how the nation owes them a huge debt. I am stunned that this has not been done. He'd get brownie points from almost every quarter.

In a related matter, I saw John McCain on TV. He does not look at all well. Its a measure of the man that he is out doing over Trump and stuffing around Mitch McConnell in Congress when he should clearly be bouncing his great-grandchildren on his knee and admiring desert sunsets.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The debate among POST pundits today is whether Crooked Donald is more like a toddler or a teenager. I would say that he partakes of the worst qualities of both. A toddler would never grope pussy or make sexualized comments; on the other hand a teenager would never insist on two scoops of ice cream.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's the transcript? And even if there is one, everyone will hear it differently. Trump is helplessly graceless. Me too.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The debate among POST pundits today is whether Crooked Donald is more like a toddler or a teenager. I would say that he partakes of the worst qualities of both. A toddler would never grope pussy or make sexualized comments; on the other hand a teenager would never insist on two scoops of ice cream.

While the ice cream thing can be a distraction from the many, many very very serious issues with this presidency, it's revealing that it's not just that he wants two scoops of ice cream (who doesn't?) it's that he wants to be the only one with two scoops. If everyone else had two he'd want-- nay, need-- three.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

In a related matter, I saw John McCain on TV. He does not look at all well. Its a measure of the man that he is out doing over Trump and stuffing around Mitch McConnell in Congress when he should clearly be bouncing his great-grandchildren on his knee and admiring desert sunsets.

Again, there is the freedom that comes from the certainty of death. Knowing that his fate is sealed and there's naught he can do about it has, I think, given him a rare freedom that makes him truly dangerous to the Powers That Be. He is uniquely able to speak truth to power-- unafraid of consequences, unafraid of voters or any sort of retribution, unswayed by promises of pork barrel or $$ and undaunted by threats from NRA or McConnell or Koch bros. He is uniquely free.

He is such an interesting man-- has had more than his share of low points, but he has also over the years shown himself capable of greatness. I think this will be the moment when his legacy will be built. Yes, there may be a bit less bouncing of the grandbabies on his knee. But I hope there will be wonderful stories told to those grandbabies, of that grandfather who loved them and fought for their future to the very end.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've thought of a solution. In the movie "Dave" Kevin Kline plays a Presidential look-a-like who fills in when the actual President is in a coma -- and of course does a much better job of it.

If we could hogtie Trump and send him to a Twitter-free island far across some "big water, ocean water" then someone like Alec Baldwin could take over.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Latest news from BBC has Trumpolini the Ridiculous behaving, once more, like a little yobbo in a school playground:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41729586

'Debasing America', says Mr. Corker. How true - and this from a member of the ruling tribe!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Trumpolini!

I am always slightly suspicious of someone leaving who suddenly finds courage. But I guess we all are like that. And it is a great story.

quote:
quote:
quote:
How was King George III handled when his porphyria-madness was active?

The Prince of Wales acted as regent for the remainder of George's life.

Do you really want T's son or son-in-law to step in? I guess it could not be worse, could it? [Ultra confused]

Um, I simply asked how it was handled.
Sorry; did not mean that "you" directed solely at you - I meant it generically; that was not clear. I should have used "we" in the sense of a hypothetical. I could've guessed your thoughts on a Trump Jnr presidency! [Biased]

--

How big are these scoops? And I'm thankful Brenda didn't meet me as a teenager as I would've disappointed her...I always had 2, regular, scoops.

[ 24. October 2017, 19:58: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

But again, the question isn't really "do you want two scoops?" (We all do) but rather are you ok if everyone else gets 2 scoops as well

It occurs to me that statement could be taken either literally or metaphorically and both would be true

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that since McCain an Corker are not going to run again, they have been freed up to be honest about how they feel about the dafttwit. Now, Senator Flake, the junior Senator from Arizona has opened up about Daftwit.

The question is how much do you value re-election or do you what the best for your country.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've thought of a solution. In the movie "Dave" Kevin Kline plays a Presidential look-a-like who fills in when the actual President is in a coma -- and of course does a much better job of it.

If we could hogtie Trump and send him to a Twitter-free island far across some "big water, ocean water" then someone like Alec Baldwin could take over.

But then Alec's face would effectively have to freeze that way, in the twisted facial impression he does.

There's a meme that a double has sometimes taken Melania's place, because sometimes she's looked much more comfortable with T.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm underwhelmed. If Corker and Flake (sounds like a breakfast cereal company) were patriots instead of Republicans, they run, and win, and fight on to slow the Trump train.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Brenda-

quote:
A toddler would never grope pussy or make sexualized comments;

...unless that's what they'd been around. And I sometimes think that the groping may be like a little kid who needs to be told "use your words, not your fists". Not excusing the behavior, just looking into possible causes.

quote:
on the other hand a teenager would never insist on two scoops of ice cream.
Seriously? You must have been around incredibly well-behaved teenagers--or ones that don't like ice cream.
[Confused]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Brenda-

quote:
A toddler would never grope pussy or make sexualized comments;

...unless that's what they'd been around. And I sometimes think that the groping may be like a little kid who needs to be told "use your words, not your fists". Not excusing the behavior, just looking into possible causes.

quote:
on the other hand a teenager would never insist on two scoops of ice cream.
Seriously? You must have been around incredibly well-behaved teenagers--or ones that don't like ice cream.
[Confused]

Even if they didn't insist, they might well sneak a second scoop in the middle of the night.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dirty old man? How'd they miss that? You know, the kind who pinch women's bums, accidentally on purpose grab their tits, make jokes about incest with their daughters, cheat on their wife (in his case wives), try to intimidate anyone who calls them out.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
I'm underwhelmed. If Corker and Flake (sounds like a breakfast cereal company) were patriots instead of Republicans, they run, and win, and fight on to slow the Trump train.

This is a fantasy. After what they just said, they cannot win given where they're from.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dave is one of my favorite schmaltzy comedies. A lovely film. I think one of my favorite parts is when Sigourney Weaver catches Kevin taking a peek at her knees, and confesses that was when she knew he wasn't her husband.

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Dave is one of my favorite schmaltzy comedies. A lovely film. I think one of my favorite parts is when Sigourney Weaver catches Kevin taking a peek at her knees, and confesses that was when she knew he wasn't her husband.

I'd vote for Dave for President any day -- or for Kevin Kline.
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Does this strike you as true, Americans?

quote:
The purge of "establishment" Republicans like Senator Corker and Senator Flake only helps the remaking of the GOP as a populist, nationalist party drawing the support of the white working class away from the Democrats.
from here
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flake's speech on the Senate floor.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And here's the full text of Flake's speech.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Interesting that since McCain an Corker are not going to run again, they have been freed up to be honest about how they feel about the dafttwit. Now, Senator Flake, the junior Senator from Arizona has opened up about Daftwit.

The question is how much do you value re-election or do you what the best for your country.

As Ian implies, all this does is ensure populist replacements.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
And here's the full text of Flake's speech.

Are the "Mr President"s protocol when speaking, or was he there? Or is this a direct address to him?
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are the "Mr President"s protocol when speaking, or was he there? Or is this a direct address to him?

I don't know for sure, but presumably that's addressing the President of Senate in the way that a Westminster-style House of Commons addresses the Speaker.

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yes, re president of the senate--officially, that's the vice-president of the country (Pence), or a president pro tem (who's filling in).

However, if the senator really meant the things he said, then he may well have had the other president in mind, too.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Ah... Thank you both!
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<still getting over astonishment that there really is a Senator whose name is Flake>
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Martin--

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Clinton was an adult with his Cohiba? Was grown up in his turning his back on his failed UN cover venture in Somalia green lighting the Rwandan genocide?

Actually, he said, years ago, that not helping Rwanda was his greatest regret.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does this strike you as true, Americans?

quote:
The purge of "establishment" Republicans like Senator Corker and Senator Flake only helps the remaking of the GOP as a populist, nationalist party drawing the support of the white working class away from the Democrats.
from here
Yes, this is probably true. The sense that we are in the dying days of the GOP is palpable. The rump faction will become so dysfunctional and extreme that the vast majority of the electorate will despise them. Gerrymandering, fraud and Russian hacking, even, won't suffice to keep them in power. They've cranked themselves too far out onto a limb.

The more sane members will either form another party, or (after a couple generations of Democratic rule) will reboot.

Here, for instance, is a (free) summary of everything that the current administration is doing to ensure that people cannot retire. They no longer are working for the good of the populace. This cannot go on.

[ 25. October 2017, 13:52: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
<still getting over astonishment that there really is a Senator whose name is Flake>

"Flake" is a very common Mormon name in these parts. As is "Snow" -- giving us the lovely town of "Snowflake," named for two Mormon missionaries. The town is actually in Arizona's high country where is does snow.

[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Now that Jeff Flake has announced that he's not running again, this clears the way for his Primary challenger, the flaky Kelli Ward (pun intended).

Steve Bannon came to Arizona last week to campaign for her (this was before Flake's announcement). There's never been a conspiracy theory that Ward hasn't embraced -- most notably the “chemtrails” conspiracy theory (that the trails airplanes leave behind in the sky spray chemicals on humans). She's known as "Chemtrail Kelli."

As soon as John McCain announced that he had brain cancer she was ready to kick him In the gutter and start campaigning for his seat.

The hope among many Arizona Democrats is that she is so off the wall that a sane Democratic candidate (probably Representative Kyrsten Sinema) will have a much better chance of winning than if Flake were running again.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pigwidgeon:
quote:
"Flake" is a very common Mormon name in these parts. As is "Snow" -- giving us the lovely town of "Snowflake," named for two Mormon missionaries. The town is actually in Arizona's high country where is does snow.
Fascinating. And, presumably, special... [Cool]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

I have actually been to Snowflake, AZ. There was a lot of snow there then.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Even for him, this is amazingly repellent. This is from CNN, should be a free click.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Even for him, this is amazingly repellent. This is from CNN, should be a free click.

"I did very well. I'm a very intelligent person." Later, pointing to his head, he added: "One of the great memories of all time."

This comment is very telling, he’s clearly worried about his memory failing.

[ 26. October 2017, 07:40: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Brenda--

quote:

If I may ask, what bit do you find so repellent? AFAICS, there's nothing new, except the recent comment about being so smart.

Thx.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Brenda--

quote:

If I may ask, what bit do you find so repellent? AFAICS, there's nothing new, except the recent comment about being so smart.

Thx.

The entirety of the discourse is fearful. This is a person with the attention span of a gnat. Unmoored from time, a stranger to veracity, the description 'word salad' is exactly correct for his talk. This is not a person you would lend your car to, is it? Or hand over the care of your dog to, if you were going away for a week.

I knew this; we all know it. When we can't protest (this is a grand summary of the enormous creativity that's being pumped into the effort, but it's from the POST) all we can do is cringe and avert our eyes.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he achieves nothing else before he disappears down the toilet of history, The Great Debaser Of America will at least have been the cause of some amazingly creative Stuff.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And the catalyst for helping us look at difficult leaders in history from a more realistic and personal angle.

Ivan the Terrible, for instance. Caligula. That guy with the funny mustache and no smile.

And all sorts of less high-profile people, with less power and/or less opportunity to exercise it.

Even families.

Plus realizing that their subjects really might not have been able to remove the person from power--especially without making things much worse.

Sometimes, all you can do is pursue legal means, work on damage control, wait, and hope.

[Votive]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Brenda wrote:

quote:
This is a person with the attention span of a gnat. Unmoored from time, a stranger to veracity, the description 'word salad' is exactly correct for his talk. This is not a person you would lend your car to, is it? Or hand over the care of your dog to, if you were going away for a week.
This puts me in mind of that other Republican, Mitt Romney. [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Human

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Brenda--

quote:

Thx.

Has any other president talked about "my generals" and "my military"? It's an affectation I personally find particularly offensive. I once knew a vicar who talked about "my churchwardens", "my sidesmen" etc.. He was a self-obsessed knob with bad hair, much like El Presidente, in fact.

In a vicar it's annoying. In a POTUS it's deeply concerning that he apparently confuses his own interests with those of his country.

(I have to confess that I only have the reporter's summary to go on, I find Trump impossible to understand or even listen to in person.)

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:

In a vicar it's annoying. In a POTUS it's deeply concerning that he apparently confuses his own interests with those of his country.

(I have to confess that I only have the reporter's summary to go on, I find Trump impossible to understand or even listen to in person.)

That's worrying. I can remember Gerald Ford, Dan Quayle, Bush jnr and Donald Rumsfeld. Is he worse than all of those?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There never seems to be any purpose to Trump's speech, other than to promote himself and cause maximum offence to those he considers his enemies (i.e. most of the other people on the planet). He just rambles and rants, taking a pop at various random targets in passing. I can also remember the people you mention, and most of the time you could sort of see what they were getting at, even when they weren't expressing themselves very well.

I personally thought that Rumsfeld's "known unknowns" and "unknown unknowns" was actually rather good.

[ 27. October 2017, 09:59: Message edited by: Rocinante ]

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Yeah, Rumsfeld had a brain, and Bush could crack a funny.

[ 27. October 2017, 10:03: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Martin--

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Clinton was an adult with his Cohiba? Was grown up in his turning his back on his failed UN cover venture in Somalia green lighting the Rwandan genocide?

Actually, he said, years ago, that not helping Rwanda was his greatest regret.
As he caused it, I'm not surprised. Not that he could have done anything. As for the French.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016