homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
From a behind-a-paywall article:

quote:
Added to Trump’s troubles is a White House believed to be melting down in conflict and incompetence, an executive in which thousands of positions remain unfilled, and a President so bored with the job that his staff are inserting his name into documents, in order to keep him reading.
I take it the 1000s is hyperbole...or is it? And is it usual for a number of positions to go unfilled 100+ days in?
I may have missed it, but where did this article come from?
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
ISTM, if America had other parties that were taken with some semblance of seriousness, it would be better for the country. The last time a third party candidate had a serious chance was Perot, yes? Before that Teddy Roosevelt?

Ralph Nader ran as the Green Party candidate in 2000 -- quite possibly why we got stuck with George W. Bush. (Well, that and the Supreme Court...)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
When asked if he asked Comey to slow down or end the Russian investigation, Trump said "No. No. Next question." He is putting his whole presidency on those four words.

Love to hear the tapes.

"Expletive(s) deleted"
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
ISTM, if America had other parties that were taken with some semblance of seriousness, it would be better for the country. The last time a third party candidate had a serious chance was Perot, yes? Before that Teddy Roosevelt?

Ralph Nader ran as the Green Party candidate in 2000 -- quite possibly why we got stuck with George W. Bush. (Well, that and the Supreme Court...)
And Al Gore's inability to win his home state.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
quote:

quote:
Added to Trump’s troubles is a White House believed to be melting down in conflict and incompetence, an executive in which thousands of positions remain unfilled, and a President so bored with the job that his staff are inserting his name into documents, in order to keep him reading.
I take it the 1000s is hyperbole...or is it? And is it usual for a number of positions to go unfilled 100+ days in?
I may have missed it, but where did this article come from?
It is from a left-leaning online news source where articles are usually behind a paywall. Hence me not linking to it. But I find this article is not, so here it is.

They do indulge in hyperbole, and the 1000s seems to me to be that, but I was curious how many positions remain unfilled. And, if it be a large number, is that usual.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Not hyperbole.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the reasons why public funding (US$7m) is supplied to presidential transition teams is so that the appointee selection process is well along by inauguration day. Folk outside the US are often surprised by the depth of levels of political appointments in the US bureaucracy-- even down to the (Canadian) director-general or (UK) director level.

In my former RL I got to sit at a Vancouver lunch alongside a visiting Assistant Deputy Associate Secretary for something or the other at the US Department of Education who, it turned out, was appointed by the Clinton administration for his skill with fundraising in the Vietnamese Californian community. His conversation, while witty and very intelligent, was entirely directed at fundraising to the point that the rest of the table, public servants to a person, felt that they could say nothing whatsoever with propriety, and the (Canadian) ministerial assistant knew nothing of fundraising, as such things are dealt with by party staff, not ministerial staff.

When I learned that so few Trump appointments have been made at this point, I was astonished, and am really wondering how on earth they believe that they can function. The US system is built around political direction at this level and, when they don't have it, the Trump administration will not be able to effect longlasting regulatory or administrative change.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now it's been reported that Trump told the Russians that Comey was a "nut job" and that firing him would ease the pressure caused by the Russian investigation.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nut job calls nut job a nut job. If we put them in a swamp and they float, can we burn them?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I read that diagnosis of Comey, my first reaction was, I wonder how Lavrov suppressed a chuckle.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re T being bored, bewildered staff, etc.:

This is an amalgam of various news items, both pre- and post-election.

--T never wanted to be president, per friend and shock-jock Howard Stern. (Interesting pairing. Stern even said T "just wants to be loved, like everyone else".) He just wanted to be paid more for his "Apprentice" reality-show work. He wanted Hillary to win. He didn't think he had a chance.

--During the campaign, both T and his then campaign manager said that T didn't want to do the work of being president, and would delegate everything.

--IIRC, both T and Obama said that T didn't understand how much the president has to do.

--I recently heard/read an anonymous quote from someone in the administration, to the effect that they (as a group) had thought that it would be easy, and that all the rules and protocol were just silly--and were surprised to find out they were wrong.

....so we've got a dangerously incompetent president, who never wanted the job; some staff who didn't have the sense to think it would be work, and others who are trying to appease T and get him focused on the job; and a whole lot of nepotism.

Lovely.
[brick wall] [Help] [Projectile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why I'm having such a hard time not saying "I told you so" [Razz] to certain people IRL, or even here. Y'all are way too generous, you who keep attributing his actions to some deep-seated cunning plan which will make something (anything, at least one thing?) explainable. What if what you see is all there is? No plans, just petulance; no policies, just pouting; no deep or even shallowly laid plots, just "open mouth and see what comes out."

And of course tons of reactivity. The temptation is to start deliberately trailing stimuli in front of him to make him jump all over the map, like a cat with a laser pointer. It's a good thing I can feel God giving me the hairy eyeball at the moment--the temptation, (rubs hands together,) I feeeeeeeel the temptation....

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife read out to me a David Brookes opinion piece in the NY Times, where he referred to the President's brain as two or three fireflies rattling around in a jar.

In Australia, where the media pack is tiny and the political reporters see each other every day, live in the same area and every now and then get pissed together and screw each other, groupthink can be a problem. People see the event, and react the same way because they all think along similar tracks.

We have a weekly show called Media Watch, where the host and his staff research and point out where how and why the various news outlets make mistakes. The Media hate them, especially the right-wingers, who are usually shockers at things like fairness and accuracy.

Anyway, I'm just a bit suss about the media at the moment in America. They don't seem to be leading us astray, but I don't trust the bastards. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
simontoad--

You might check out

--"On The Media" radio show (with some attitude [Smile] ),

--
Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR),

--and "Democracy Now" TV/radio show.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

{Wistful thought.}

Trump privately decides to resign, fires Pence, and nominates Hillary for VP. Congress approves, if only in order to move on.

Blissful thought.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
{Wistful thought.}

Trump privately decides to resign, fires Pence, and nominates Hillary for VP. Congress approves, if only in order to move on.

Blissful thought.

Not sure if that's an appropriate procedure - perhaps an Usanian can advise - but the wistful thought would surely be Elizabeth Warren.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The papers today are full of "How will Trump cope abroad?" questions.

He's not going backpacking for goodness sake!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Media Watch Story on Brick X

I'm not sure that people in America will be able to see the link. It's a story by Media Watch on a new type of property investment, Brick X. It shows excerpts from two commercial network stories about the scheme, and a third from the public broadcaster (also the network on which Media Watch appears). The Public Broadcaster's show has the very highest reputation for integrity. Media Watch points out that all three segments fail to offer a critique of Brick X's scheme, and fail to interview anyone not associated with the company.

What the show does is take a preconceived idea of what good journalism is and then critiques stories from media across Australia and across the spectrum. It's not a political idea, at least its only political to the extent that it regards a free and fair media, free of both commercial and ideological constraints, as the standard. It's the sort of show that I imagine might fit on PBS or NPR - or at least my perception of those organisations.

Anyway, I hope the yanks can see the story.

Edit: Brick X is a rubbish idea. Don't invest.

[ 20. May 2017, 08:32: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Gee D--

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
{Wistful thought.}

Blissful thought.

Not sure if that's an appropriate procedure - perhaps an Usanian can advise - but the wistful thought would surely be Elizabeth Warren.
I'm in the USA. [Smile] I doubt it would be allowed. But it's the one way I can see to put the big things right, without too much fuss. Pence is fired; Hillary becomes VP; T resigns, to his own relief; and Hillary becomes president.

And no, not Elizabeth Warren. Her best place is in Congress, where she can do the most good.

My wistful thought is for *Hillary*, because I voted for her, and she won the popular vote. We had an election between the least qualified candidate, ever, and the most qualified candidate, ever. The wrong person wound up in office, partly due to meddling by another country, which IMHO should invalidate the entire Republican campaign.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind the bollocks, what does he need to have done to have obstructed justice?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Boogie--

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The papers today are full of "How will Trump cope abroad?" questions.

He's not going backpacking for goodness sake!

[Roll Eyes]

It's a legitimate concern. Pre-presidency, he constructed his own little world: he could go from Trump Tower to any of his other resorts, golf courses, hotels, etc. He didn't have to spend a whole lot of time in the outside world, and he's rich enough that he can have things brought to him. He's tried to keep that up, now he's president, with hanging out at Mar-a-Lago and other places. He has to have everything in gold, even his toilet seat at Trump Tower. He redid the Oval Office in gold, and there was talk of possibly redoing the bathroom in the family residence. He always has to be at the center of everything. That's the only way he can function, even to the minor extent that he currently functions.

He also thinks that the Middle East peace problem is probably a lot easier to solve than people think. He's going to Saudi Arabia, Israel, and the Vatican, in that order. As much as that all needs to be settled, I really hope that the parties needing to make peace don't get together and say, "Sh*t. We better at least publicly make peace, before that idiot gets bored or frustrated, and blows us all up!" Because that would just reinforce T's view of himself. And we'd never be able to impeach him.

I'm not sure what he's doing in SA. But he's scheduled for many things in Israel, including the Holocaust Museum. (Think of all the wrong things he could say/do there.) He's going to the Wailing Wall with the chief rabbi, but has refused to let Netanyahu go along. (Not sure if that's good or bad.) And someone suggested the Pope might have a few things to impress upon him.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

simontoad--

"Media Watch" sounds like the "On The Media" show I mentioned above. OTM and Democracy Now (also on my list) are both on public broadcasting. (OTM on the radio, and DN on both TV and radio.) FAIR also is referenced in public broadcasting. Not sure if it has its own show.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
{Wistful thought.}

Blissful thought.

In the frozen north, we are regularly bombarded with the details of the US Constitution. There is no provision for the President to fire the Vice President. The only forced-exit mode for Pence is for him to be impeached, as provided for in Article 2, where the VP is named as one of the officers who can be thereby removed.

Even if Pence resigned/was impeached/took monastic vows, succession procedures provide that the Speaker of the House is next in line until the president's nominee for the VPship is approved by a majority vote of both houses of Congress. I do not see either Mrs Clinton of Ms Warren being approved by either house, let alone both but the past year has proven that it is most unwise to predict anything anymore.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Joe Lieberman? [Razz]

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Lieberman has been mentioned, in the news, as a possible FBI director--except he has no relevant experience.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be frank, I don't think anyone wants to be FBI director if the president, no matter who it is, can fire him/her on a whim. Congress will need to make the FBI independent before possible directors would be comfortable with the job.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O deep joy. From BBC News:

The US has signed its largest ever arms deal with Saudi Arabia as US President Donald Trump's first foreign trip begins in Riyadh.

The deal is apparently worth $110 billion (give or take a few).

Why does this depress me even further? Why is it so hot in here? What am I doing in this handbasket?

[Help]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quote of the day from the Guardian -

"If only there'd been some way to predict that electing a draft-dodging, scam university running, pussy-grabbing, semi-literate, self-obsessed, midnight tweeting, multiple-bankrupt property developer who refused release his tax returns or detail his business interests would lead to a compromised and unstable administration."

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lieberman has been mentioned, in the news, as a possible FBI director--except he has no relevant experience.

Then again 45 has no relevant experience to be president. De Vos has no relevant experience qualifying her to walk down the sidewalk in front of a school, let alone be Ed Secy. Etc.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
{Wistful thought.}

Blissful thought.

A more feasible plan would be the impeachment/investigation is stalled for 2 years, Hillary runs for & wins a seat in the house, Dems flip the house, Hillary is elected Speaker. THEN Trump & Pence are impeached in close & quick enough succession to avoid either appointing a new VP.

But again this is
[Axe murder] thinking.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And someone suggested the Pope might have a few things to impress upon him.

I know the Pope is not divine, but I'm wondering if his holiness might trigger a Uzzah moment for Trump...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweet Jesus, Mother Mary help us, what if Trump manages to insult all three major religions in the Holy Land?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
O deep joy. From BBC News:

The US has signed its largest ever arms deal with Saudi Arabia as US President Donald Trump's first foreign trip begins in Riyadh.

(snip)

Why does this depress me even further? [Help]

IJ

That's actually a good question, since it pretty much just represents business-as-usual between the Saudi kingdom and its western pals. Your proverbial handbasket has been hovering about in this general vicintiy for at least 100 years.

[ 20. May 2017, 16:36: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican_Brat:
quote:
Sweet Jesus, Mother Mary help us, what if Trump manages to insult all three major religions in the Holy Land?
He probably will. [Paranoid]

[ 20. May 2017, 16:37: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also I would be surprised if this was a new deal, as opposed to one that's been in progress since before Mr Trump got in.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

"If"??? The office pool is about when.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Anglican_Brat:
quote:
He probably will. [Paranoid]
Maybe at Yad Vashem, when he hears the stories about the righteous Gentiles who sheltered and protected many Jews from the concentration camps, the Ground of Our Being, will break through that stone heart of his, and he might rethink his refugee policies.

Or maybe, we can just ask that he doesn't say anything stupid at the Holocaust museum.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

I know the Pope is not divine, but I'm wondering if his holiness might trigger a Uzzah moment for Trump...
Or reactivate the Inquisition and have him led off in a hood to parts unknown.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
quote:

Apparently, that is not his style.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
quote:

Well nobody expects that!
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Also I would be surprised if this [the Saudi arms sale] was a new deal

Heh. Interesting choice of words.

[ 20. May 2017, 18:58: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe at Yad Vashem, when he hears the stories about the righteous Gentiles who sheltered and protected many Jews from the concentration camps, the Ground of Our Being, will break through that stone heart of his, and he might rethink his refugee policies.

Or maybe, we can just ask that he doesn't say anything stupid at the Holocaust museum.

My guess: he starts rambling on about how he's more righteous and has saved more Jews than anyone else.

And in today's Trump Scandal Update, two points:

• The Washington Post claims that a current White House official is a "person of interest" (a catch-all term that includes both witnesses and suspects) in the Russia investigation. There are three members of the Trump campaign with known contacts with the Russians. The only one with a current White House job is Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner.
    -
  • Totally coincidentally, the White House is examining ethics rules which would prohibit Special Counsel Mueller from investigating Kushner (and Manafort, so it's a twofer).

quote:
Within hours of Mueller's appointment on Wednesday, the White House began reviewing the Code of Federal Regulations, which restricts newly hired government lawyers from investigating their prior law firm’s clients for one year after their hiring, the sources said.

An executive order signed by Trump in January extended that period to two years.

Mueller's former law firm, WilmerHale, represents Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, who met with a Russian bank executive in December, and the president's former campaign manager Paul Manafort, who is a subject of a federal investigation.

Legal experts said the ethics rule can be waived by the Justice Department, which appointed Mueller. He did not represent Kushner or Manafort directly at his former law firm.

There are just so many amazing coincidences happening at the White House lately!

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horror fear: he makes some comparison to Hitler while in Israel.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which might provoke Mossad.....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

"Hitler was a great man! Great! He knew the Holocaust would create sympathy for the Jewish people and motivate the creation of an independent Jewish State. We should all thank him!""

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

'Bigly! He was a YUGE success!'

(And he had a rotten barber, too).

IJ

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:

They might finally admit they have things in common, and get their heads on straight?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

cliffdweller--

quote:
quote:

Well, that would require a charged-up Ark of the Covenant. And touching it was only dangerous for Jews.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

"Hitler was a great man! Great! He knew the Holocaust would create sympathy for the Jewish people and motivate the creation of an independent Jewish State. We should all thank him!""
T: "And if I'd been Hitler, no Jews would've died--well, very few, it would be sad, but you've got to have some order. No, I would've just asked them to soonly move along to another country. They'd be happier, Europe would be happier, I'd be happier, win-win all around. Hey, they could go to America and set up bagel shops!" {Big grin on T's face.}

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016