homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 51)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly I'm too jaded, but I have a horrible feeling he is going to be able to ride this out.

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. There have just been far too many "this will be the end of Trump" revelations-- throughout the election and since.

But seriously, this would be the cruelest of them all.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Possibly I'm too jaded, but I have a horrible feeling he is going to be able to ride this out.

You think?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't hold out much hope of him being turfed out. But all I can do, for the sake of you lovely Americans, is hope for you that something gets him out.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let him serve out his term and then decline into retirement. Anything else will be too dangerous for American democracy. If he has committed a crime, then the law must take its course. Personally, the vengeful bastard in me wants to see his children in jail.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember being on a road trip with my parents, and the CBC radio had frequent updates and bits of recordings of Nixon. The discussion seemed to suggest that treason was his offence. Which subverting democracy seemed to be. But then the next dude pardoned him.

These ex-presidents tend to have libraries hosted someplace apparently. Wonder who gets this dude's. Does he read? I wonder what is on his reading list.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there's bound to be a shelf-full of executive orders, many of them even signed. [Two face]

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a good analysis (alas from the NYT so it'll cost you a click) of how Crooked Don's supporters can keep from poisoning themselves with hypocrisy. The two rationales are 1) it's fake news, and 2) Democrats are worse. With these two rationales I believe their delusion will stand up to anything short of a nuclear war.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I don't hold out much hope of him being turfed out. But all I can do, for the sake of you lovely Americans, is hope for you that something gets him out.

Illness/dementia/total exhaustion is my guess. No need to believe his own nosnsense about how healthy he is. You only need to look at him and listen to him to see he’s fat, unwell and close to dementia/mental incapacity.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is a good analysis (alas from the NYT so it'll cost you a click) of how Crooked Don's supporters can keep from poisoning themselves with hypocrisy. The two rationales are 1) it's fake news, and 2) Democrats are worse. With these two rationales I believe their delusion will stand up to anything short of a nuclear war.

And even then. NOTHING can touch this remarkable king. A true man of the people, the lowest of the low and you can never go to low.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

TOO!!!

--------------------
Love wins

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian--

quote:

Thank you. [Smile]

simontoad--

Respectfully: And what of the damage he does in the meantime? Every single day? From actually wanting the nuclear war he's poking NK about, to cutting back the size of various national parks/monuments, to taking away healthcare and funding for other services? Especially when his party holds both the House and Senate, and don't show much sign of standing up to him?

np--

I don't think presidential libraries have to be hosted somewhere (univ., etc.). They can be on their own. Nixon's is, I think, at his San Clemente ranch. Carter's may be at the Carter Center.

T can read. He does well with a teleprompter. (Unless you want to go all conspiracy and speculate that someone is broadcasting the words to him, and he just repeats them. I think that's been suggested for both T and Dubya.) But he doesn't like to read; and I think there was something about having only read one book. (And/or maybe only his books?)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:

You think?
[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

That's egging the irony upon irony romanlion.

--------------------
Love wins

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The American presidency is not designed for sudden changes in office, short of the death of the president. On the other hand, an investigation like this can constrain a president from actions he might otherwise take. For instance, it's unlikely the Trump administration would move to recognize the Russian claim in Crimea in the present context.

The investigation is unlikely to end in one giant, cinematically choreographed perp walk complete with swelling sound-track, but for those who want to see such a thing you're in luck. [warning: video may autoplay]

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I don't think presidential libraries have to be hosted somewhere (univ., etc.). They can be on their own. Nixon's is, I think, at his San Clemente ranch. Carter's may be at the Carter Center.

T can read. He does well with a teleprompter. (Unless you want to go all conspiracy and speculate that someone is broadcasting the words to him, and he just repeats them. I think that's been suggested for both T and Dubya.) But he doesn't like to read; and I think there was something about having only read one book. (And/or maybe only his books?)

Presidential libraries also preserve the personal papers and documents of the president, which is one of their more important functions. Technically such documents belong to the National Archives, but I believe they're simply considered to be on permanent loan to the presidential libraries.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a little color commentary, here is the write up of a self-described "cynical left-wing historian" to the Nixon Library.

quote:
They say that Orange County is home to the Happiest Place on Earth. For most people, that’s Disneyland. For a cynical left-wing historian, it is the Nixon Library. When I visited Orange County last month, it was my top priority to visit, way more than the beach (which was nice too). I was not disappointed.
It goes on from there. There was also a sequel when Loomis visited the Gerald Ford Museum and Library.

[ 31. October 2017, 12:51: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Croesos, the 'From Russia With Love' video was just awesome!

[Killing me]

Thank you!

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My prediction for the Trump library has always been that he’s going to brag about having raised more money for his library than any other ex President, but still ask some private conservative college to front the money and land for the project. Then when the college asks his library committee for reimbursement for the newly constructed library, the committee will suggest that they accept pennies on the dollar in settlement.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Historical "fun" fact: the only other presidential campaign chairman ever indicted was John Mitchell.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No prophet wrote:

quote:
I remember being on a road trip with my parents, and the CBC radio had frequent updates and bits of recordings of Nixon. The discussion seemed to suggest that treason was his offence. Which subverting democracy seemed to be.
Treason is a very limited crime, and it is the only one listed in the United States Consitution. Specifically, it is giving aid and comfort to the enemy for the purpose of overthrowing the US government.

In the case of Nixon, he was impeached under high crimes and misdemeanors which can mean about anything. But it was denying that he had any tape recordings of conversations leading up to the Watergate break-in. He was not technically trying to overthrow the government but was trying to stack the decks in his favor.

Now, in the case of Mannford, he is being charged with conspiracy against the federal government. "Collusion" has no legal definition. Conspiracy, though, can be used to show how he became a foreign agent and then tried to circumvent our tax laws. Gates also faces the same charges

George Papadopoulos plead guilty to giving false statements to the FBI in regards to his contacts with the Russian government.

But the most anyone can be charged with is conspiracy with the Russians. It does not rise top treason since, technically, we are not at war with the Russians.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
No prophet wrote:

[QUOTE] In the case of Nixon, he was impeached under high crimes and misdemeanors which can mean about anything. But it was denying that he had any tape recordings of conversations leading up to the Watergate break-in. He was not technically trying to overthrow the government but was trying to stack the decks in his favor.

Actually, Nixon was "encouraged" to resign before being impeached.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is from a Canada Facebook page, and so should be a free click. Very appropriate to the season!

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
No prophet wrote:

[QUOTE] In the case of Nixon, he was impeached under high crimes and misdemeanors which can mean about anything. But it was denying that he had any tape recordings of conversations leading up to the Watergate break-in. He was not technically trying to overthrow the government but was trying to stack the decks in his favor.

The quote isn't a quote from me.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
No prophet wrote:

The quote isn't a quote from me.
Sorry! it was Gramps49. (Embedded quotes get messed up sometimes.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like Trump’s constant shouting about Clinton’s emails is coming back to bite him in the bum - the way the emails were obtained was far more fishy than the emails themselves.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key wrote:
quote:
simontoad--

Respectfully: And what of the damage he does in the meantime? Every single day? From actually wanting the nuclear war he's poking NK about, to cutting back the size of various national parks/monuments, to taking away healthcare and funding for other services? Especially when his party holds both the House and Senate, and don't show much sign of standing up to him?

Trump is a particularly offensive individual. He seems to have a life-long record of unprosecuted criminality, if a bloke I heard on the radio last night is correct. However, he doesn't seem to have molded right-wing politics in the USA in his image. Rather, he seems to have fashioned his persona to appeal to right-wing Americans. I'm worried that if he dies in office, right-wing Americans will use his death to rally their political forces in anti-democratic directions.

Also, I don't want to in any way predict or suggest someone's death, even if it might be an apparently neat solution. In Trump's case, I'm far from convinced that there would be a change in policy direction if Pence was at the helm, although the atmosphere might be a little more calm.

The alternative to death in office (discounting revolution as fanciful) is impeachment. There is almost no chance of that happening, I reckon, under this Congress. The Republicans are not going to take that step. Really, impeachment is just a story that sells advertising, unless of course the numbers change in the chambers. Then impeachment is alive again as an option. Croesus has previously set out that difficult task in this thread.

So to answer your first question directly, I don't think getting rid of Trump before his term expires will stop the damage he is doing to the USA and the world every single day.

The absolute best way the Democrats can limit Trump's damage is to take a large number of Congressional seats off Trump supporters next year. Resistance through State governments and the legal system where available is also critical.

--------------------
Human

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Some excellent tweets.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
The absolute best way the Democrats can limit Trump's damage is to take a large number of Congressional seats off Trump supporters next year.

To do that, they must bring forth viable candidates. As has been pointed out several times, there doesn't seem to be anyone.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, it would be very very bad to have a martyred Saint Donald. Already he can do no wrong -- I believe I posted a link from the NY Times about this. There is a severely stupid tendency in GOP circles to canonize all their heroes; the number of items named after Ronald Reagan would depress you and the name is usually thrust upon helpless airports, highways, etc. by Congress without consulting the local population. (I live in the DC area, and everyone local knows to call the main airport National Airport, as it has always been. Only newcomers call it Reagan Airport.)
Better for Crooked Don to be driven from the scene to howls of execration and the flung fruit.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Drat, missed the editing window. This link is free and merely snarky, calling out Donald Jr. on his cluelessness and general dickitude. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
No prophet wrote:

quote:
I remember being on a road trip with my parents, and the CBC radio had frequent updates and bits of recordings of Nixon. The discussion seemed to suggest that treason was his offence. Which subverting democracy seemed to be.
Treason is a very limited crime, and it is the only one listed in the United States Consitution. Specifically, it is giving aid and comfort to the enemy for the purpose of overthrowing the US government.
Yes, treason is a highly specific crime in the U.S., but it's not that specific. According to Art. III, §3 of the U.S. Constitution:

quote:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
So "treason", in the strict Constitutional sense rather than vernacular usage, means either a) levying war against the United States and/or b) adhering to the enemies of the United States in a way that gives them aid and comfort. It doesn't necessarily require the intention or desire of "overthrowing the US government".

quote:
In the case of Nixon, he was impeached under high crimes and misdemeanors which can mean about anything. But it was denying that he had any tape recordings of conversations leading up to the Watergate break-in. He was not technically trying to overthrow the government but was trying to stack the decks in his favor.

You don't have to be trying to overthrow the U.S. government to be guilty of treason under the U.S. Constitution. If you are trying to overthrow the government (and you're an American citizen) then it's definitely treason, but it's not the only thing that counts as treason.

For those who are interested here are the articles of impeachment against Richard Nixon. They had been approved by the House Judiciary Committee but Nixon resigned before the full House of Representatives could vote on them. They boil down to:

1. Obstruction of Justice
  2. Abuse of Power
  3. Contempt of Congress

Certainly seems like an attempt to subvert the American government, if not necessarily overthrow it, which probably counts as "treason" in the vernacular sense, though not the Constitutional one.

[ 01. November 2017, 13:08: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
The absolute best way the Democrats can limit Trump's damage is to take a large number of Congressional seats off Trump supporters next year.

To do that, they must bring forth viable candidates. As has been pointed out several times, there doesn't seem to be anyone.
Has that been pointed out? I seem to recall pointing out that the Congressional special elections so far in 2017 have all been a lot more Democratic-leaning than we would expect given a baseline of the 2016 general election. What exactly is it about Jon Ossoff or Rob Quist that you think a different candidate would have done "better" in their Republican-leaning jurisdictions?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

From this side of the pond, it rather looks as though you're stuck with Generalissimo Tweeto for the foreseeable, unless Wrong-Trim nukes him first..... [Help]

IJ

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a case that Trump wishes would go away, especially in light of the recent alleged sex scandals involving producers and actors in the entertainment industry.

The plaintiff, a Susan Zervos alleges in 2007, the during the fifth season of
The Apprentice Trump forcibly kissed her twice and attacked her in a hotel room.

Trump's defense is you cannot sue a sitting President!

I wonder if Zervos wins her lawsuit (which is in a state court, not a federal court), what impact would it have leading to impeachment?

In the meantime, Trump is now all upset about his son in law, Jared Kushner, meeting a Russian operative in the Trump tower during the campaign.

Mueller is scheduled to interview Trump's Communication Directopr Hope Hicks and her involvement in the drafting of first excuse Trump about the JK meeting in Trump Tower. Was it Obstruction of Justice?

More White House staffers are expecting to be invited for an interview by Mueller.

The noose is getting tighter.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Here is a case that Trump wishes would go away, especially in light of the recent alleged sex scandals involving producers and actors in the entertainment industry.

The plaintiff, a Susan Zervos alleges in 2007, the during the fifth season of The Apprentice Trump forcibly kissed her twice and attacked her in a hotel room.

Unsurprisingly, Donald Trump is ignorant about recent history and the state of the law. I've heard it argued that Clinton v. Jones is inapplicable because that case was in federal court while Ms. Zervos is suing in a state court, but I don't see any reasoning in the linked opinion that wouldn't be equally applicable to civil suits in state courts.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Is this what Tr**p Tower looks like, by any chance?

IJ

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Donald Trump Junior tried to use Hallowe'en as a teaching lesson, or so he says in Twitter. Link to trumpy the younger's Hallowe'en Tweet.

quote:
I’m going to take half of Chloe’s candy tonight & give it to some kid who sat at home. It’s never to early to teach her about socialism. — Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) October 31, 2017

The responses are worth the read. May I repeat two.
quote:
My man, "socialism" was her getting that free candy in the first place. You taking half for reasons she can't understand is capitalism
quote:
Yes, it would be HORRIFYING to see your little girl share her free candies with other kids. Let's make sure she's a real Trump.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Today's Atlantic Magazine is especially full of good coverage.
Not only does Lyin' Don perpetually claim that he is the victim, others abet him in this.
And, in the spirit of analyzing a tweet that is almost certainly not worth analyzing, Donald Jr.'s moronic Halloween tweet is discussed in detail.
Oh, and the ever-reliable Vanity Fair gives us a peep into the terror pit that is now the White House. He blames Jared.

[ 01. November 2017, 22:36: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:

The plaintiff, a Susan Zervos alleges in 2007, the during the fifth season of
The Apprentice Trump forcibly kissed her twice and attacked her in a hotel room.

I wonder if Zervos wins her lawsuit (which is in a state court, not a federal court), what impact would it have leading to impeachment?

In the meantime, Trump is now all upset about his son in law, Jared Kushner, meeting a Russian operative in the Trump tower during the campaign.

Mueller is scheduled to interview Trump's Communication Directopr Hope Hicks and her involvement in the drafting of first excuse Trump about the JK meeting in Trump Tower. Was it Obstruction of Justice?

More White House staffers are expecting to be invited for an interview by Mueller.

The noose is getting tighter.

Look kiddiz, TANJ. Free burial at sea with band of your choice if you know what that means without any Googlin'. Alan will confirm that such childish fantasies are like why nuclear fusion will NEVER work, it's like tightening a noose on Teflon Jell-O.

--------------------
Love wins

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

My particular fantasy, and it is fantastic, is that Trump loses the republican nomination for 2020. He leaves the party, and he and members of his family stand for every Presidential election as independents from here to eternity, splitting the conservative vote right down the middle for at least two elections and just creating a big flaming bag of poop for the conservatives to stand on for a couple of generations.

My other fantasy involves them all going to jail.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope someone--many someones--tries to convince T that leaving would actually make him a *winner*--which is the state of being he *must* have.

E.g., no press conferences; he could be in homes he knows, loves, and feels safe in; no more fuss with Congress; and he could tell himself (and everyone else) that, by leaving, he's smarter than Obama and much smarter than Crooked Hillary would be.

And a good many people would love him for leaving.

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite is Jesus vs Satan.

Amazing to think of the scale of this. And that they may've impacted people...

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he fires Mueller, then I think the GOP might turn on him for real. Otherwise it looks like more of the same until November 2018. With the exception of the vocal GOP minority, most Senators and House Reps do not want to alienate the Trump populist base. Until it becomes clear that Trump is an electoral liability. The November 2018 House Elections are a year off and a lot can happen in a year. I think they will be good for the Democrats, the real question will be how good.

Trump's approval rating is about 33% I think. That's made up of a sizeable number of loyal GOP voters as well as the angry brigade.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I hope someone--many someones--tries to convince T that leaving would actually make him a *winner*--which is the state of being he *must* have.

E.g., no press conferences; he could be in homes he knows, loves, and feels safe in; no more fuss with Congress; and he could tell himself (and everyone else) that, by leaving, he's smarter than Obama and much smarter than Crooked Hillary would be.

And a good many people would love him for leaving.

[Votive]

GK, is that a spiritual exercise inspired by the How to Stop Hating the Hateful thread? I like it.
[Angel]

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My spiritual exercise is science-fictional. There are many Americas, and we're in the wrong one. Over on another time line, President Hillary Clinton is buffing and polishing Obamacare so that it runs better. Vladimir Putin is chewing nails and the US Army Corps of Engineers is re-wiring Puerto Rico. (I think it was in one of Neil Gaiman's Sandman stories that the adept says, kindly, "Oh, you're from one of -those- Americas. My sympathies.")

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Well this is new, but unsurprising.

quote:
Hackers Compromised the Trump Organization 4 Years Ago—and the Company Never Noticed
The perpetrators have possible ties to Russia.

Four years ago, the Trump Organization experienced a major cyber breach that could have allowed the perpetrator (or perpetrators) to mount malware attacks from the company’s web domains and may have enabled the intruders to gain access to the company’s computer network. Up until this week, this penetration had gone undetected by President Donald Trump’s company, according to several internet security researchers.

In 2013, a hacker (or hackers) apparently obtained access to the Trump Organization’s domain registration account and created at least 250 website subdomains that cybersecurity experts refer to as “shadow” subdomains. Each one of these shadow Trump subdomains pointed to a Russian IP address, meaning that they were hosted at these Russian addresses. (Every website domain is associated with one or more IP addresses. These addresses allow the internet to find the server that hosts the website. Authentic Trump Organization domains point to IP addresses that are hosted in the United States or countries where the company operates.) The creation of these shadow subdomains within the Trump Organization network was visible in the publicly available records of the company’s domains.

<snip>

The cybersecurity expert who shared the list with Mother Jones says he could find no legitimate use for the subdomains. He notes that the full scope of the attackers’ breach of the Trump Organization domains remains unclear, but he adds that the hackers who have launched attacks from this block of IP addresses have the ability to wage highly sophisticated cyber assaults. “I’d have to imagine that the file and mail servers on the Trump Org network would be the world’s largest repository of information that could be used to gain leverage over our president,” he remarks. He also points out that this breach signals the Trump Organization did not employ secure IT: “The big thing is that they didn’t notice.”

As far as we know (so far) the "shadow domains" were only ever used for distributing malware (but we don't know for sure if that is the entire scope of what happened) and no one in the Trump Organization caught it until Mother Jones contacted them for comment a week ago. That's the quality we've come to expect from a Trump operation.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My favourite is Jesus vs Satan.

Amazing to think of the scale of this. And that they may've impacted people...

I don't know if you're familiar with right-wing US political memes, but that Jesus Vs. Satan one is pretty boilerplate. The kind of person who would find it(or indeed, most of them) persuasive has likely seen dozens if not hundreds of other such memes, most of them not originating from Russia.

So, I wouldn't imagine that these memes played a unique or pivotal role in turning people against Clinton. If anything, their sloppy conflation of partisanism/patriotism with religion(Jesus loves Trump, God rides with the border patrol) might offend those Christians who take the First Commandment seriously. Granted, a surprising number of American conservatives DON'T seem to mind elevating their favorite country or politician to the level of God, so at the end of the day, these particular memes were probably a break-even for both sides.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This will cost you a Post click, but summarizes the startling extent of Russian interference.
This however is a free one: lots of other people that the Russians have been hacking.
And here is a summary of the Russian Facebook posts that they pushed up last year.
I don't think that Lyin' Don's position, that all this is fantasy, is tenable. There's just too much evidence.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just an observation, though, that while those memes may seem to confirm that the average Trump voter is some holy- rolling, unsophisticated trailer- park dweller, in fact I read that the typical Trumpster makes 70K a year and is comfortably esconced in the middle class, at least here in flyover country. Dear Spouse and I had the bizarre experience last year of attending what was marketed as a Farm to Table dinner, conjuring up images of serious foodie hipsters enjoying marrow bones and microbrewed beer and whatnot...but was actually the rich, ūberconservative local country squires and our reptilian State Representative, having a self-congratualatory lovefest. Those are our Trumpkins.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016