homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 53)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
S. Korea has invited a former "comfort woman" to a banquet honoring Trump.

[brick wall]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2653 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worry that he might say, publicly or directly to the woman, "Comforting soldiers in war time? What a great idea! I'm sure they appreciated the comfort."

And/or try to get some comfort from her himself. Or from any younger woman there, who might be more his demographic.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17997 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't it be great if getting an endorsement from Don the Con or his minions became a kiss of death for any candidate? Maybe Virginia and New Jersey are just the beginning...

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6332 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oy vey, no way *this* could go wrong...

S. Korea has invited a former "comfort woman" to a banquet honoring Trump. (In WWII, Japan abducted many Korean schoolgirls and women as sex slaves for the Japanese military.)

Skimming through articles, it looks like the SK/Japan agreement to put the whole thing to rest hasn't worked, and SK is using this opportunity to signal that.

However...why in the world would they put that woman around another abuser? Who may not even know or understand what happened, and is likely to say something crude and offensive???

I don't think the banquet's happened yet. If I find a balanced, mainstreamish article, I'll post a link.

If you don't have a reference for this that you're willing to cite, what makes you think it's even true in the first place?
Posts: 2025 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I first happened upon it on an English-language Japanese news TV show, while flipping channels. It was first on the news crawl at the bottom of the screen, then in a brief news story.

I then did a Duck Duck Go search on "trump korea banquet comfort woman". Almost every hit was from Japanese news. Given the topic, I figured it would be better to wait until there was coverage that might be more balanced.

I'm sorry for any confusion that caused. I should've explained further. I'm having a rather bumpy day, and so are my computer and my Web connection.

Try Bloomberg News.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17997 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noting Abe's success with the "Making the Alliance Great Again" hat, I'm looking for suggestions for a hat four our Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, to give to Don when he comes to our shores.

I'm thinking: Making Offshore Detention Great Again

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1192 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making coal great again?
Posts: 7558 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pity the Japanese PM doesn't have a different name - whenever I read Abe, I envisage President Lincoln...

And I wonder what he would have thought about the present encumbrance of the White House?

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9196 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't post the links because they're all over the papers. But the off-year elections were held yesterday in the US, and the GOP took a thumping.

Headlines include:
Republicans seek new path after failure
Trump was on the ballot in Virginia. He lost.
The Limits of Trumpism
Virginia Rejects Your Hateful Politics, Mr. Trump
The G.O.P. Should Be Scared by Virginia

Only 364 days to the 2018 elections!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5679 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Wouldn't it be great if getting an endorsement from Don the Con or his minions became a kiss of death for any candidate? Maybe Virginia and New Jersey are just the beginning...

Ed Gillespie (the Republican candidate for Governor of Virginia) tried an interesting electoral strategy that might be described as "Trumpism without Trump". His campaign involved a lot of race-baiting, immigrant bashing, and moonlight-and-magnolias sentimentality about Confederate monuments, but Gillespie avoided campaigning with, or even mentioning, Donald Trump. It was noted that the last president not to actively campaign for his party's candidate for Governor of Virginia* was Richard Nixon in 1973, during the depths of Watergate. Gillespie seems to have correctly noted that Donald Trump is incredibly unpopular, but it appears that "Trumpism without Trump" is also not very popular at the moment.

--------------------
*It's an odd-year election and Virginia is right next to the District of Columbia, so it's geographically convenient and there aren't many other races the president has to pay attention to at the time

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10443 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

363. The 2018 general elections will be held on November 6, 2018.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oy vey, no way *this* could go wrong...

S. Korea has invited a former "comfort woman" to a banquet honoring Trump. (In WWII, Japan abducted many Korean schoolgirls and women as sex slaves for the Japanese military.)

Skimming through articles, it looks like the SK/Japan agreement to put the whole thing to rest hasn't worked, and SK is using this opportunity to signal that.

However...why in the world would they put that woman around another abuser? Who may not even know or understand what happened, and is likely to say something crude and offensive???

I don't think the banquet's happened yet. If I find a balanced, mainstreamish article, I'll post a link.

The woman hugged Trump at the banquet. Here is an article and photo from the Korea Herald.

I think the chances that Trump would sexually assault the woman in front of TV cameras are pretty remote. I guess you could complain about the symbolism, ie. a known groper gets to look like a sensitive-guy by hugging a rape victim, but I'm pretty sure it was the Korean government that arranged this meeting, and they likely didn't force the woman to do anything she didn't want to do.

The comfort-women are a pretty major issue over here, and there has been quite a bit of pushback against the deal that was signed between Japan and Korea in 2015, with Mr. Moon's side of the political spectrum leading the resistance.

They also apparently served shrimp that was announced as having been caught near Dok-do, that being another major point of contention between Korea and Japan.

[ 08. November 2017, 15:28: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6412 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite a lot of perhaps not-so-subtle stuff going on. I wonder how much of it registers with The Great Trumpolino?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 9196 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Quite a lot of perhaps not-so-subtle stuff going on. I wonder how much of it registers with The Great Trumpolino?

[Paranoid]

IJ

He probably just thinks "OF COURSE they want me to side with them on this issue, I'm the head honcho of the free world! I make things happen!"

I doubt he really cares if he's seen as interfering in a bilateral issue between Korea and Japan. In fairness, I doubt the Koreans care either.

--------------------

Posts: 6412 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Are the Koreans perhaps having a bit of esoteric fun at Gropo the Great's expense?

It can't be that difficult, so to do...

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish that Prime Minister Abe had vomited on Trump.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9461 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

My sympathies are with Bush. Whatever your view of his presidency, being taken suddenly ill was not his fault.

OTOH, The Lord Of Greatness covered in projectile chunder is an appealing picture.....

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I wish that Prime Minister Abe had vomited on Trump.

quote:
My sympathies are with Bush. Whatever your view of his presidency, being taken suddenly ill was not his fault.

It may not have been his fault, but it was a roundabout boon to the Japanese language. Before that incident there was no word in Japanese meaning "to vomit" that was acceptable to use in polite company. Now there's "bushusuru", so Japanese speakers have a way to specify vomiting without having to resort to what is regarded as gutter language.

Just another illustration of the ways the Bush family have enriched human cultures across the globe! [Projectile]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O well - good often comes of evil things....

[Paranoid]

Jolly embarrassing for Bush, though. I was once taken ill ( [Projectile] ) on the train home, so I have an inkling of how he must have felt...

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another grand example is the Chinese term "Bushfeet." These are chicken feet, which are a delicacy in China. They are not very popular on menus in the US, however, although a great deal of chicken is eaten in the form of Buffalo wings, nuggets, etc. So there are a lot of extra chicken feet, and George W. presided over a trade deal that got them sold in China. Everybody happy, and all those American chicken feet in China are named for him.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Another grand example is the Chinese term "Bushfeet." These are chicken feet, which are a delicacy in China. They are not very popular on menus in the US, however, although a great deal of chicken is eaten in the form of Buffalo wings, nuggets, etc. So there are a lot of extra chicken feet, and George W. presided over a trade deal that got them sold in China. Everybody happy, and all those American chicken feet in China are named for him.

*tangent* I presided over a funeral for a Chinese gentleman, and was invited to a lovely dim sum lunch afterwards. The relatives were all fighting over who got the chicken's feet, but they insisted I had to try it first. Not bad.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11087 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Together, our nations remind the world of the boundless potential of societies that choose freedom over tyranny, and who set the free. And we will free, and we will sacrifice, and we will hope, and we will make things beautiful, especially the aspirations of your people.
Donald Trump giving a toast in South Korea.

Is it just me, or is he becoming even more incoherent?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Together, our nations remind the world of the boundless potential of societies that choose freedom over tyranny, and who set the free. And we will free, and we will sacrifice, and we will hope, and we will make things beautiful, especially the aspirations of your people.
Donald Trump giving a toast in South Korea.

Is it just me, or is he becoming even more incoherent?

I was going to try a parody in reply, but I do not think I could manage a semblance without a litre of rum and a blow to the cranium.
My favourite line from your link is
quote:
Perhaps it sounded better in the original Russian.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16963 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I won't post the links because they're all over the papers. But the off-year elections were held yesterday in the US, and the GOP took a thumping.

Headlines include:
The Limits of Trumpism

Sorry to possibly rain on your parade, but how big is this, really?

I know The Guardian, et al, will make a big deal of any failure with Trump in charge, and why not?, we all need to feel good, but I sometimes feel any defeat for an unpopular leader is now seen as the beginning of the end in the media. And it sometimes isn't.

I could be way off. I don't know your electoral system. But I don't want to get my hopes up either. Been dashed before.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:

Headlines include:
The Limits of Trumpism

Sorry to possibly rain on your parade, but how big is this, really?
Most of the significance of last night's election is in the medium- to long-term. It's another data point backing up previous indications that the American electorate has shifted 4-6 percentage points towards the Democrats since November 2016. I discuss some of the implications in the linked post, but another implication is that this will likely be a further anchor on any Republican legislative efforts. 2018 looks like a very tough year for the Republicans if this shift holds. I'd expect the present steady trickle of Congressional Republicans announcing their retirement to increase over the next few months. (Hi there, Congressmen Poe and LoBiondo!) It's a lot easier to move into your post-electoral career in lobbying or consulting if you don't have the stench of defeat clinging to you. Any Republican wishing to remain in Congress now has to factor in things like Maine voting rather overwhelmingly to take advantage of the Medicaid expansion, which makes their stated agenda of Obamacare repeal look even less popular. Given the difficulty Trump has had getting legislation passed, this throws a rather large bucket of water on an already weak and flickering legislative flame.

So Trump will likely become even more reliant on actions he can take unilaterally through executive action to pursue his agenda. These are pretty substantial, particularly in the areas he cares most about like cruelty to immigrants, draconian law enforcement, and gutting pollution regulations.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thanks Crœsos; I greatly appreciate your explanations.

Is there any thought on the Republicans who may replace those fleeing the SS Trump as the iceberg nears? Are they a new breed of socially-liberal/economically-conservative Republicans, who may have broader appeal? Are they your typical current Republican? Or does it vary widely by area, as I suspect?

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Are the Koreans perhaps having a bit of esoteric fun at Gropo the Great's expense?

I wouldn't think so, no.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a long (but free) interview of some diehard Trump supporters. Very enlightening. It seems that there is nothing he could do that would disillusion them or alienate them; they love him to the death.
In my humble opinion these people are lost. In the final analysis, the body politic has to decide: listen to unreasonable people? Or not? If they insist, I'm willing to go with not.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And this one is too fine to pass up. (A free click, too.) Women are pretty mad and we've seen it in more ways than one this year.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

I thought this an interesting visual for all politics geeks here.
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is a long (but free) interview of some diehard Trump supporters. Very enlightening. It seems that there is nothing he could do that would disillusion them or alienate them; they love him to the death..

From the article "Trump’s probably the most diligent, hardest-working president we’ve ever had in our lifetimes. It’s not like he sleeps in till noon and goes golfing every weekend, like the last president did"

I get the feeling that in theory a lot of these kind of GOP supporters would be quite in favour of increased social spending - it just irks them more that minoritues would be able to claim them too.

Posts: 3845 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
This is a long (but free) interview of some diehard Trump supporters. Very enlightening. It seems that there is nothing he could do that would disillusion them or alienate them; they love him to the death..

From the article "Trump’s probably the most diligent, hardest-working president we’ve ever had in our lifetimes. It’s not like he sleeps in till noon and goes golfing every weekend, like the last president did"

Ike was the third most popular Republican president and about tenth overall and he was notoriously lazy, spending quite a lot of time in bed.

There's a lot to be said for a boss who confines himself to the big issues and lets his subordinates get on with the job. Of course, you need capable subordinates.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24011 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Golfing would not be an issue except for the rank hypocrisy of it; you can find plenty of tweets from Crooked Don denouncing Obama for playing golf. There's also the kleptocracy angle; Lyin' Don only ever plays at his own golf clubs. He says it is because they are the bigliest and most gilded, but it also puts large sums into his pocket because his attendants have to be fed, housed, etc. For the same reason whenever he dines out in DC he goes across the street to the Trump Hotel. It is clear that he's making out like a bandit.

There was a story about the Houston hurricane victims earlier this season in the Post. They interviewed the survivors and learned about the support they had got from FEMA and so on, to rehouse and rebuild. Very good, exactly what the federal government ought to do, and the recipients were grateful. But when asked whether the victims in Puerto Rico should get similar benefits (remember that Puerto Ricans are US citizens) the Texans said no. Do as you would be done by has no meaning there. I guess the Puerto Rican brownness was an insuperable obstacle; in their minds only white people should get benefits.

This also extends to guns. The Second Amendment apparently is only for white people. If you are a black person carrying a gun your life is going to be short.

[ 09. November 2017, 13:28: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning CBS news reported that FEMA is offering to relocate Puerto Rican residents to the mainland on a temporary basis as a way to relieve the congestion and squaller at relief centers on the island.

In other news, it is being reported that the Trump administration is holding up the merger of AT&T and Time Warner because Trump wants AT&T to divest itself of CNN. It seems he wants to kill CNN for being FAKE NEWS

Posts: 2032 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Sinos sais wrote:

quote:
There's a lot to be said for a boss who confines himself to the big issues and lets his subordinates get on with the job. Of course, you need capable subordinates.

Heh. That reminds me of this magazine cover, which I remember seeing on the newstands at the time it came out.

Less than a month later, Iran-Contra broke.

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are also plenty of stories about Trump cheating at golf.
Posts: 1498 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

At this point it wouldn't surprise me to find that he cheats at solitaire.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29892 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

It's not cheating if you announce it to the people around you, as my mom taught me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

It would surprise me, since it would indicate that Donald Trump has the concentration and patience necessary to play solitaire.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's news:

Kim Jong-un called Trump, "old."
Trump called him, "short and fat."

[Disappointed]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nyah! Nyah! [Razz]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21293 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Today's news:

[Disappointed]

No, no, Trump would never do that!

quote:
Why would Kim Jong-un insult me by calling me "old," when I would NEVER call him "short and fat?" Oh well, I try so hard to be his friend - and maybe someday that will happen!
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Today's news:

[Disappointed]

We're just immensely grateful that, unlike in the Republican primary debates, they have so far declined to compare the sizes of their male genitalia.

So far.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11087 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

It looks like Donald Trump, Jr. has a secret pen pal.

quote:
Just before the stroke of midnight on September 20, 2016, at the height of last year’s presidential election, the WikiLeaks Twitter account sent a private direct message to Donald Trump Jr., the Republican nominee’s oldest son and campaign surrogate. “A PAC run anti-Trump site putintrump.org is about to launch,” WikiLeaks wrote. “The PAC is a recycled pro-Iraq war PAC. We have guessed the password. It is ‘putintrump.’ See ‘About’ for who is behind it. Any comments?” (The site, which has since become a joint project with Mother Jones, was founded by Rob Glaser, a tech entrepreneur, and was funded by Progress for USA Political Action Committee.)

The next morning, about 12 hours later, Trump Jr. responded to WikiLeaks. “Off the record I don’t know who that is, but I’ll ask around,” he wrote on September 21, 2016. “Thanks.”

That seems an awful lot like receiving hacked information and/or stolen data, in this case in the form of someone else's password. It also seems to make a lie of Wikileak's repeated assertions that it had no preference in the 2016 presidential race.

quote:
The messages, obtained by The Atlantic, were also turned over by Trump Jr.’s lawyers to congressional investigators. They are part of a long—and largely one-sided—correspondence between WikiLeaks and the president’s son that continued until at least July 2017. The messages show WikiLeaks, a radical transparency organization that the American intelligence community believes was chosen by the Russian government to disseminate the information it had hacked, actively soliciting Trump Jr.’s cooperation. WikiLeaks made a series of increasingly bold requests, including asking for Trump’s tax returns, urging the Trump campaign on Election Day to reject the results of the election as rigged, and requesting that the president-elect tell Australia to appoint Julian Assange ambassador to the United States.
The bit about getting Assange appointed Australia's ambassador to the U.S. was a nice touch, I thought.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The bit about getting Assange appointed Australia's ambassador to the U.S. was a nice touch, I thought.
/triggered

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1192 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If you have been following the highly convolute and thoroughly contemptible adventures of Roy Moore, it has come to this. The GOP is counting upon Crooked Donald to come back from Asia and make the awful Moore go away. To save the seat for the party, they plan to have Jeff Sessions run as a write-in candidate; since he had the job before (and by resigning to become Attorney General threw the seat open for this off-year election in the first place) it is hoped he can win it. And this would allow Lyin' Don to find another, more pliable Attorney General.
[Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

The Congressional Republicans seem like one of those old cartoons, where a character runs off the edge of a cliff, and continues running in place mid-air--not realizing their situation. Then they look down, and fall.

I'm not sure they've looked down yet.

Unfortunately, they can still cause trouble while they're up there.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

I hope so. To me it seems more like when Wiley Coyote paints a fake tunnel on a hill and the roadrunner runs right thru it-- but when Coyote tries it he smacks against the hill. Since day 1 there has been one thing after another that should have been their death knell, but nothing seems to stick. Meanwhile, we Dems get taken down by rumors of child sex rings in the basement of pizza parlors that don't have basements.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

In the meantime, Jeff Sessions is asking officials to look into whether a special prosecutor is needed to investigate the Clinton Foundation and Obama administration concerning a
Russian nuclear energy agency acquisition of United States’ uranium.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I wonder if that is not Sessions' ploy to curry favor with his boss. Just because Crooked Don has asked for this doesn't mean he will get it, but pretending to look into it keeps him quiet for a while. Perhaps Sessions would rather go back to the Senate after all. He seems definitely to have been promoted beyond his level of competence. Does he look back on happier days at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016