homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 59)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump said he would tear down the traditions by which this country is governed. I didn't hear but it seems to be true, that he will tear apart the country in the process.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
X288MB isn't l33t. I ran it through everything I could find here.

English translation required.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, np. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the computer specification was a typo as apostate630 followed that post with a correction - saying he'd meant to type war not X288MB

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK--

Ah, thanks! I did see that post, but I didn't put it together with the previous one.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me either. Thx.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has no one noted the incoherence in recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and playing footsie with antisemites? Or should I have said cynicism?
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Perhaps he doesn't care, as long as they all vote for him?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He wouldn't know a Zionist from an antisemite if each of them bit him on either testicle.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a version of "my enemy's enemy is my friend". We see this with showers like Britain First; one minute they're claiming they're going to protect Jews from the nasty Muslims, because of course the main threat to British Jews is Muslims (can anyone recall any friction between Jewish and Muslim communities in the UK? My experience is they rub along pretty well, even with occasional local newspaper "Synagogue gives space for Muslims to pray while Mosque undergoes repairs/Mosque raises money for Synagogue after it's targeted by far right thugs" type stories) not the far right anti-semites who daub swastikas on Jewish cemeteries and stuff, obviously.

The next minute they're off to Poland to talk to anti-semitic fringe-lunatic priests.

The connecting thread between the "Support Israel at all costs" bunch and the KKK/Nazi types is they both despise Muslims. And we know that Trump isn't likely to be found at Friday prayers in the foreseeable future.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda said:
quote:
He wouldn't know a Zionist from an antisemite if each of them bit him on either testicle
He has two ?

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
Has no one noted the incoherence in recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and playing footsie with antisemites? Or should I have said cynicism?

The less extreme anti-Semites support Israel for much the same reason white Americans supported Liberia in the nineteenth century: they're much more comfortable with [Jews / blacks] living "over there" than right next door.

[ 08. December 2017, 13:32: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

The less extreme anti-Semites support Israel for much the same reason white Americans supported Liberia in the nineteenth century: they're much more comfortable with [Jews / blacks] living "over there" than right next door.
Besides, recognizing Jerusalem as the capitol will trigger violence that will kill off both Jews and those other non-white types, while at the same time the Jewish moneylenders will fill Trump's coffers with money because they are so grateful for what he has done for them. It is not incoherent; it is a win-win!

Sometimes even I worry about my degree of cynicism...

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One must look very closely, but I wouldn't. Unless you have a telescope or some other distant viewing tool.

A social scientist who studies lies (what a great deal of material he must have!) analyzes the peculiar qualities of Lyin' Don's prevarication. This is from the Post so it'll cost you a click.

The other mildly notable happening on this front is the speech he gave about moving the embassy to Jerusalem. At the end of that speech he seemed to lose it -- slurring, stuttering. There's YouTube video of it. His press office said his throat was dry; comedians have gone wild with suggestions about slipping dentures. (Boy, would he hate it to be known that he has to wear dentures. I mean, he already has the orange toupee...) But this has gotten the WH to agree to have him get a physical, the first one since before he declared his candidacy. If it actually happens, this cannot be but for the good.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

Besides, recognizing Jerusalem as the capitol will trigger violence that will kill off both Jews and those other non-white types, while at the same time the Jewish moneylenders will fill Trump's coffers with money because they are so grateful for what he has done for them. It is not incoherent; it is a win-win!

Sometimes even I worry about my degree of cynicism...

Given that he is leading (and yes, "leading" is precisely what he is doing-- even if it is leading over a cliff) a party who has recently
celebrated passing legislation that has been estimated will lead to the untimely deaths of 10,000 of their own citizens annually, the fact that they might carelessly bring about the deaths of 1000s of "those people over there" is hardly surprising.

Of all the many, many things that have been said about both Trump and the current GOP, "casual cruelty" most hits the mark. The casualness of it is the thing that most appalls/ terrifies/ enrages me.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

Of all the many, many things that have been said about both Trump and the current GOP, "casual cruelty" most hits the mark. The casualness of it is the thing that most appalls/ terrifies/ enrages me.

That quality also puzzled the scientist who studies lies. Most people lie for personal advantage, or from motives of kindness ("Oh no, you're not fat!") Only a small fraction of the lies that most people tell are cruel or malicious. But for him that percentage is much much higher, more than six times more than most people. This is so high, it's hard to attribute it to being a basically evil man. I'm thinking mental illness here.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
quote:

That quality also puzzled the scientist who studies lies. Most people lie for personal advantage, or from motives of kindness ("Oh no, you're not fat!") Only a small fraction of the lies that most people tell are cruel or malicious. But for him that percentage is much much higher, more than six times more than most people. This is so high, it's hard to attribute it to being a basically evil man. I'm thinking mental illness here.
There are certainly good reasons to suspect that, as many notable psychiatrists have already indicated.

But the thing is, it's not just Trump. The entire GOP seems to be intent on enacting policies that yes, enrich themselves and their donors (their constituents, not so much)-- but to do so gleefully, cheerfully. They appear to be taking great delight in, for example, taking away access to health care for seriously ill children (the program that literally saved the life of my infant granddaughter-- very grateful she wasn't born 10 months later) or separating immigrant families or punishing DACA kids. They seem to see these horrific, cruel policies not as some sort of "necessary evil" but rather as fun, happy exercises of power that are to be literally celebrated with the popping of champagne corks and a heaping helping of poor-shaming or immigrant scapegoating on the side.

If that is mental illness it is very much a mass delusion.

[ 08. December 2017, 14:11: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I dunno Brenda, I'm sure many people lie to "fit in". Go to a bar on Saturday night and I'm sure there is plenty of support for Trump, just as there is plenty for Brexit in the same situation.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also White House spokesliar Sarah Huckabee Sanders having the gall to lecture John Lewis on the Civil Rights Movement. I couldn't keep my analysis of that one civil so I started a Hell thread.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

There are certainly good reasons to suspect that, as many notable psychiatrists have already indicated.

But the thing is, it's not just Trump. The entire GOP seems to be intent on enacting policies that yes, enrich themselves and their donors (their constituents, not so much)-- but to do so gleefully, cheerfully. They appear to be taking great delight in, for example, taking away access to health care for seriously ill children (the program that literally saved the life of my infant granddaughter-- very grateful she wasn't born 10 months later) or separating immigrant families or punishing DACA kids. They seem to see these horrific, cruel policies not as some sort of "necessary evil" but rather as fun, happy exercises of power that are to be literally celebrated with the popping of champagne corks and a heaping helping of poor-shaming or immigrant scapegoating on the side.

If that is mental illness it is very much a mass delusion.

They're libertarians at heart. The see taxing the rich as theft. Better people die than the government steal. Essentially it's politicised sociopathy.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But 'America is Great Again', so it's OK.....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hopefully (if there is any justice at all in this multiverse), these gobshites will sooner or later receive their due reward.

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This link ought to work. I always wonder if the Facebook ones really get you to the right place. In this case it's a cartoon about the theological importance of the President.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re T's slurring of speech:

I'd been thinking strokes or TIAs (mini-strokes). (Not that I wish that on him.) I hope the doc who does his physical is NOT his long-term doc from NY (the one who said T's health is the bestest), and IS fully qualified for all the things that need to be checked out.

Re T lying:

He says tons of things that are untrue. For lying, he'd have to a) know the truth and b) purposely say an untruth. He's so impaired, in ways that shift like a kaleidescope, that if he does know the truth about something, he may forget it quickly.

FWIW, YMMV.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the slurring ‘Shatesh’ thing sounded like it was due to poorly fitting teeth. He was holding his mouth in a strange way throughout the speech - and closing it often as if his teeth were trying to escape.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump’s teeth escape and go on the rampage.
H,mmmm, does anyone else smell a Hollywood Blockbuster?

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was he trying to sound like Winston Churchill?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Trump’s teeth escape and go on the rampage.
H,mmmm, does anyone else smell a Hollywood Blockbuster?

I'm sure I saw a similar Terry Gilliam animation in a Monty Python episode (but maybe that was just dancing teeth).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the president of the United States can afford a decent dentist?

It's all the manic hand movements that worry me most.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Conrad Pooh's Dancing Teeth

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:

One would think he could afford a decent barber (or stylist) as well.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pithy take on Trump's America from journalist/novelist Omar el-Akkad. I like it because it treats Trump not as an aberration, but as a symptom of deeper problems. Enjoy (if that's the word for it).
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

quote:
...'when it comes to everything from decimating the social safety net to waging perpetual war, the President hinders with buffoonery what his party would otherwise undertake with unfaltering resolve.'
That is scary. Very, very, very scary.

2018 is going to be one HELL of a year.

[Disappointed]

God help us all.

IJ

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I’m sure even before he was elected he has had the best dentist and stylist money can buy. And that he totally ignores both of them.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I’m sure even before he was elected he has had the best dentist and stylist money can buy. And that he totally ignores both of them.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
apostate630
Apprentice
# 15425

- Posted      Profile for apostate630   Email apostate630   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[/QUOTE]They're libertarians at heart. The see taxing the rich as theft. Better people die than the government steal. Essentially it's politicised sociopathy. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Karl, P.J. O'Rourke once defined Libertarians as "Republicans who like to smoke dope and get laid." Good for a chuckle or two, but your definition of Libertarianism has the virtue of being far more precise and damning. Thanks. I'm much obliged.

Posts: 46 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I suspect it comes down to getting him to visit one. He might see this as an acknowledgement of imperfection.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, a racist governor of Mississippi would invite a racist president to the dedication of a museum on racism in the Deep South. Note, no prominent civil rights personality was at the dedication. Talk about whitewashing our history!

It's getting to be something when I wake up and wonder what has the Daftwit done today.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
That is scary. Very, very, very scary.

2018 is going to be one HELL of a year.

[Disappointed]

God help us all.

IJ

Declaration of War - Brief Twitter Form

Date:___________ Time: ____________

Name of enemy to be attacked (required: circle all which apply):
(a) North Korea
(b) Iran
(c) Mexico
(d) other, write in: __________________
(e) doesn't matter, just in need of a war

Desired outcome:
(a) distraction from Russia
(b) fire and fury, the likes the world has never seen
(c) you have think anyway, so why not think big?
(d) My whole life is about winning. I don't lose often. I almost never lose.

[ 09. December 2017, 18:25: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Depressing analysis of why Crooked Don is doing this. That is in addition to the desire to distract from the Russia investigation.

I personally believe that Lyin' Don will 'forget' to get that physical after all. But since he is in the White House, hopefully the physician there won't be a complete incompetent. In a spirit of Oliver Twist asking for more gruel, the Post editorial board suggests he add his tax returns as well.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it sounds unlikely but a friend of mine said it might be a side effect of an anti-psychotic medicine. Of course when it was prescribed to Trump it wasn't called an anti-psychotic, rather something to bring down the stress of his Asian trip. My friend said he had experienced such lack of control of his jaw and dry mouth when he did a few weeks in a psych ward for extreme depression years ago. (He is doing well now.) If it is an effect of psych meds, I wish they worked better on Trump.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New name for Daftwit: Saglutupiaġataq (“the compulsive liar” in Iñupiatun, which is an Alaskan tribe).

Apparently, Trump wants to abrogate all treaties the US has with Native Americans and open up their lands to private development under the control of individual states. Read here

[ 09. December 2017, 23:03: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

His mom had somewhat odd hair (or hairdo), too. And, as of when his NY doc wrote a note about his health (last year??), T was still taking Minoxodil/Rogaine to prevent hair loss--and it's known to have mental effects.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Depressing analysis of why Crooked Don is doing this. That is in addition to the desire to distract from the Russia investigation.

{Retrieves old fundamentalist hat from the attic dust bunnies.}

Yeah, sounds about right, as interpretation.

Ok, I can sort of see doing the Jerusalem thing for that purpose. Especially if you (gen) are sick of this world. And you get to feel like you're part of God's plan, etc. But the consequences for people...

This and other actions/beliefs smack of trying to force God's hand. Like the (IMNSHO) idiots who've taken red/roan cattle to Jerusalem to fulfill a prophecy. What, God can't manage that?

Even Jesus said he didn't know "the day or the hour" when end-times stuff would play out. He just told us to "watch", to pay attention. (Though I'm no longer fundamentalist, I do pay a bit of attention, just in case.)

But due to the embassy fall-out, people have died and there'll be more; and if God's hand really could be forced, lots of people would die--many of whom, by this kind of belief, would go to Hell forever.

ISTM that if someone is going to Hell, you have a few choices: leave them be; pray for them; witness to them; love them in a gentle way. What you *don't* get to do is send them to Hell early, depriving them of a chance to change and accept salvation. What would God think about that?

Love them all, and let God sort it out.

{Takes off hat, and slides it back to the dust bunnies.}

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The Orange Ozymandias seems to be becoming a shockingly awful figure of impending doom and disaster, as he stumbles from one Armageddon scenario to another....

IKTIACW, but is it really wrong to pray earnestly for his swift removal from the world?

(And the removal - or disabling - of his emissaries, too, of course.)

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Bishops Finger, I've been debating that in my mind for the past year. I'm totally against wishing for anyone's death, but... I've often wondered if it would have been wrong to wish for the death of Hitler, Amin, Bin Laden, etc. Trump's rapidly joining that infamous bunch.

I just want him gone. Resignation or impeachment would be preferable, but whatever it takes. And natural death (he's tempting a heart attack -- if he indeed has a heart) and assassination are both possible scenarios.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, I don't suppose we're the only ones who want to see him gone!

Natural death, resignation, or impeachment (and jail) will do. Not assassination - that would turn him into a martyr... [Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Well, I don't suppose we're the only ones who want to see him gone!

Natural death, resignation, or impeachment (and jail) will do. Not assassination - that would turn him into a martyr... [Disappointed]

IJ

Exactly. Do we want Saint Donald to join the pantheon up there beside Saint Ronnie? Even impeachment is fraught with peril; he needs to resign of his (exteriorly) own free will on national TV. (I don't care who twists his arm in back.)

What I dream of, the day I yearn for, is that blissful day sure to arrive sometime, in which I open the Post and there is not a word about him. That there are no products, no hotels, no neckties, no wines, with his name on. When comedians no long have to razz him, when his repellent image is as distant and unfamiliar as that of Caligula, who, I assume, most of us wouldn't recognize on the train. When those apps that replace his image with the more soothing photo of a random kitten can be disabled. I dream of the full Voldemort, him consigned to the utmost oblivion for all time.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
when his repellent image is as distant and unfamiliar as that of Caligula, who, I assume, most of us wouldn't recognize on the train.

His toga would give him away, I would imagine -- as the orange wig would give away the Fartletter-in-Chief.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is from the NY Times, but it's important: evangelicals abandoning that name, because of what Republicans have done to it. The money quote:
"Where exactly is the bottom? And at what point do you pull back from associating yourself with a political party and a religious term you once took pride in but that are now doing harm to the things you treasure?
Institutional renewal and regeneration are possible, and I’m going to continue to push for them. But for now a solid majority of Republicans and self-described evangelicals are firmly aboard the Trump train, which is doing its utmost to give a seat of privilege to Mr. Moore. So for those of us who still think of ourselves as conservative and Christian, it’s enough already."

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016