homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 60)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From that article:
quote:
Rather than Republicans and people of faith checking his most unappealing sides, the president is dragging down virtually everyone within his orbit.
An interesting thought - an Orange Hole, perhaps, by which the world will be consumed?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is from the NY Times, but it's important: evangelicals abandoning that name, because of what Republicans have done to it. The money quote:
"Where exactly is the bottom? And at what point do you pull back from associating yourself with a political party and a religious term you once took pride in but that are now doing harm to the things you treasure?
Institutional renewal and regeneration are possible, and I’m going to continue to push for them. But for now a solid majority of Republicans and self-described evangelicals are firmly aboard the Trump train, which is doing its utmost to give a seat of privilege to Mr. Moore. So for those of us who still think of ourselves as conservative and Christian, it’s enough already."

That's the strength of the trumpian Christians isn't it? They understand God better than anyone, they know how to make God stay away.

As for "enough already", it is ridiculous that this is written only now, and ridiculous that they ignored all the previous stuff. And frankly, I do not believe any of it. These Evangelical Christians worship themselves and they've embraced the many coloured beast, as well as their gilded toad idol.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. The word 'evangelical' is lost to us. I only hope we won't be forced to reboot the word 'Christian' as well. If Moore is elected, we may have no choice.

Oh, and this should amuse: Saturday Night Live's cold open.

[ 10. December 2017, 20:39: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, in the spirit of the season, this is sure to entertain: the MAGA baseball cap Christmas ornament on Amazon. Don't buy it, nor all the awful merch directly below. Scroll down, to the customer comments. Almost as good as the cones for the 3-ring binder, allegedly full of women, when Romney ran.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you reckon that Jim and Tammy Bakker could get a run as Republican candidates? It looks like the poor dears were ahead of their time.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, in the spirit of the season, this is sure to entertain: the MAGA baseball cap Christmas ornament on Amazon. Don't buy it, nor all the awful merch directly below. Scroll down, to the customer comments. Almost as good as the cones for the 3-ring binder, allegedly full of women, when Romney ran.

Such as: 'Not my Ornament!'

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A Post discussion of the is he a toddler or not issue.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is from the NY Times, but it's important: evangelicals abandoning that name, because of what Republicans have done to it. The money quote:
"Where exactly is the bottom? And at what point do you pull back from associating yourself with a political party and a religious term you once took pride in but that are now doing harm to the things you treasure?

Institutional renewal and regeneration are possible, and I’m going to continue to push for them. But for now a solid majority of Republicans and self-described evangelicals are firmly aboard the Trump train, which is doing its utmost to give a seat of privilege to Mr. Moore. So for those of us who still think of ourselves as conservative and Christian, it’s enough already."

This New Yorker article asks the obvious inverse of the question and directs it at Republican politicians:

quote:
The Republicans have a fifty-two-seat majority, meaning that Moore’s presence would be helpful but, in terms of control of the chamber, not decisive. What would they tolerate in order to secure the fifty-first vote? Put another way, if the Party is willing to give its money and its credibility to protect a candidate accused of molesting teen-agers, what might it talk itself into doing to protect the President? Robert Mueller may be interested in the answer.
So this is how far the Republican party is willing to go for a vote that's useful but not absolutely necessary. (With Pence as vice president Republicans can control the Senate with as few as 50 Senators.) How far do you think they would be willing to go if political control were actually on the line?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here's your answer: Democracy will go before Lyin' Don will. They've sacrificed so much, the GOP will hardly notice.

[ 11. December 2017, 19:31: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is your democracy already pretty much on life support? Your senator Franken resigns while the fact pattern regarding trumpy is more extensive regarding sexual misconduct while he supports another pervert. WTF in all the literal meaning of WTF.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
np--

Franken addressed that disparity, naming both the president and Roy Moore.

As to the rest: the last 30 yrs. or so have proven there are limits to US democracy. Including whether the folks in DC believe in it, listen to each other, and listen to their constituents.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaand he just sexually harassed a sitting US Senator on Twitter.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a link to that, please?

There doesn't seem to anything about it on BBC News, though they do mention the notorious Alabama election..... [Disappointed]

O America - a government made up of rapists, paedophiles, and pussy-grabbers? And this somehow makes you GREAT again?

Fie, fie, fie, for shame on all those who vote/voted for these criminals.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the horse's mouth.

Don't tell me that was an accident or innocent.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the conjunction with his previous tweet that gets me. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Do you have a link to that, please?

IJ

I live to serve...

Heard it briefly referred to on BBC radio news this morning - a sort of comment in passing.

It does seem remarkable that while currently some very high-level people are being sacked and reduced to the ranks in the most public way, on accusation alone, Mr Trump remains virtuously bright and unsullied, even though accusations surrounding his behaviour circulated freely during his campaign, before he was even President.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Truly, man creates god in his own image.....

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is free and especially nice because they had to call her out of Bible study to see it.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Is there really no way you Usanians can get rid of The Great Orange Incubus?

IJ

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not so long as we have a Congress so apparently ready and willing to kiss his big fat you-know-what.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

300-odd days, folks. To the 2018 election. We must hold strong. FWIW his latest tweet is exciting the usual condemnation.

[ 12. December 2017, 18:13: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I'm still gobsmacked as to how you people put up with such an egregious- and obvious - monster as your Head of State.

[Confused]

IJ

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm still gobsmacked as to how you people put up with such an egregious- and obvious - monster as your Head of State.

[Confused]

IJ

Yes but it's not so easy though, is it? There are a few people over here I wouldn't mind if they disappeared to put it mildly

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sadly, you are, of course, right.

My sympathies are with the majority of Usanians who did not vote for the Great Trumpkin, and also with those who now wish that they hadn't voted for It...

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I did not vote for him, and will never vote for him. His entire party is now complicit, enabling his excesses, so they're dead to me too.

I am preparing for the march in January; the first sign is going to read "Molesters, Abusers & Gropers Vote GOP." Red and blue, on white, should catch the eye, don't you think?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, it lends itself to a chaunt, viz:

M A Gee, M A Gee, M A Gee, Vote Gee O Pee or something along those lines....

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It also fits in with the whole MAGA thing -- "Molester, Abusers, and Gropers Again."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
His entire party is now complicit, enabling his excesses, so they're dead to me too.

But not, I asssume, the party of Clinton, Kennedy(s), Condit, Edwards, Weiner, Frank, Conyers, Franken, et al.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just-as-badism is a very low moral standard and a terrible argument. It works but.

Romanlion, this thread is always better for your participation. It's like multiculturalism, but for ideologies. To adapt the giggly '70's racism of some of my parents' generation, your're our token conservative!

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Well there is that crucial distinction that the GOP is in complete power, and none of those people are.

And the further thought that the Democrats seem ready to sever contact with current abusers, whereas the GOP elects them and cossets them. I wait only for the day when they supply 14-year-olds to them -- soon, I fear.

If you have a Post click, Alexandra Petri explains Lyin' Don to us in her inimitable style.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Confused]

Consumption of comfort food and substances is probably way up. [Biased]

Again, what can we legally, non-violently, ethically do? (I might be willing to bend that last one.) We can't *force* Congress to do anything--especially when T's party is in power.

There was an impeachment vote last week. It failed. Even most of the Democrats weren't for it.

Some people (both Congressfolk and private people) think we should just wait for the next presidential election...glossing over all the damage T is likely to do...every day...for the next three years.

Some of the women who've accused T of sexual assault/harassment have been more public and vocal in the last couple of days. And the tape of T talking with Howard Stern, about the joys of being able to walk through the dressing rooms at the beauty pageant he ran, resurfaced.

Right now, the best bets (IMHO) are a) Mueller; b) T saying things to incriminate himself; and c) T throwing a hissy fit, taking his toys, and going home. (I.e., resigning in a huff.)

Separately, I'm wondering if T is going to say something offensive about San Francisco. Our mayor died this morning. We're a sanctuary city (limiting our cooperation with the Feds about undocumented immigrants). And I'm sure he could come up with lots of other material.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

From the Atlantic, questioning whether Crooked Don really has any shame. The answer is no.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Just-as-badism is a very low moral standard and a terrible argument.

And the reason 95% of the participating American Electorate vote the way they do.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

If you think things cannot get any worse, you have no imagination and no sense of history.
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
If you think things cannot get any worse, you have no imagination and no sense of history.

Obviously. I would also have to be deaf, dumb, and blind.

100% of the previously referenced 95% are two of three.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Amen, np.

[Votive]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roy Moore LOST in Alabama!!!!!

I can't wait to hear Trump whine about it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Hallelujah!

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Roy Moore LOST in Alabama!!!!!

I can't wait to hear Trump whine about it.

Surprisingly conciliatory tweet from the POTS.

You know they had to run this over with him several times. “Mr. President, just in case something bad happens in Alabama, we have a pre-written message all set. It is very important for your agenda that you appear calm and capable, even in the face of a setback. So please, no tweeting tonight.”

And now he’s just a ticking time bomb...

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait till morning.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Surprisingly conciliatory tweet from the POTS.

Who stole his phone and tweeted that? It is so totally not his style -- it's mostly complete sentences for one thing.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Gropo the Great was probably too busy choking on his own evil, orange, bile to even pick up his phone.

Doubtless some educated myrmidon obliged.

IJ

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite this, "The people of this country, at a decisive election, supported President Trump, and we feel like these allegations have been answered through that process," White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders (how does she sleep nights?) said on Monday, in response to the #MeToo dozen+ Trump allegators, the cognitive dissonance didn't work for Moore: He was not absolved by the voters including educated Republicans. It's all in next year's mid terms; holding on in Missouri, Indiana, West Virginia and North Dakota then taking Nevada and Arizona.

[ 13. December 2017, 08:01: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He is already claiming that he supported Luther Strange all along and this is what happens when you don't listen to ME.

Oh, and before we let yesterday's outrages slide into history, USA Today editorializes about his nasty comments. The money quote: “A president who would all but call Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a whore is not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama Presidential Library or to shine the shoes of George W. Bush.”

This is USA Today, the most vanilla and thin of the nation's newspapers.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He is already claiming that he supported Luther Strange all along and this is what happens when you don't listen to ME.

That is, of course, the completely predictable spin. Of course, what it opens him up to is the equally obvious counter-spin: Trump endorsed Strange. Who lost. And then endorsed Moore. Who lost.

If you are a Republican in a close election...do you want his endorsement or do you avoid it like the plague?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this should be here or on the Media Sightings thread. Or in Hell. Ben Garrison's found the Ship of Fools.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None of the above of course.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What bugs me is that the 'Fake News' spouted by those who invented the expression, and who accuse others of 'Fake News', goes on!

The Washington Post has this headline:
quote:
Roy Moore, saying ‘immorality sweeps over our land,’ declines again to concede
In the article, Moore is quoted as claiming:
quote:
“This election was tainted by over $50 million dollars from outside groups who want to retain power and their corrupt ideology.”
Isn't he actually referring to his own side? This is utterly and profoundly weird, reminding of children's playground behaviour. Explains why some are into abuse? They've never grown up?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I think what he really means is the GOP pulled his own, doubtless equivalent funding. I don't think there's much doubt that the Democrats put more money into that particular election than the Republicans.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Just-as-badism is a very low moral standard and a terrible argument.

And the reason 95% of the participating American Electorate vote the way they do.
I might be missing your point Romanlion, but didn't I cover that with my "It works but"?

--------------------
Human

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016