homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 61)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You'll need Post access to see this, but the flagship paper has a major story today analyzing Trump's Russian weakness. He cannot, emotionally or psychologically, admit that the Russians meddled in the election; he has to have won because of his own wonderfulness and charisma. And therefore he cannot contemplate Russian interference. And so nothing is being done about it, which means that over in Moscow they're busily organizing for next time while no one is defending the ramparts.

This is a major story, Pulitzer quality material.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you click at just the right moment to stop the page from loading, you can still get the article before the splash screen comes up asking you to subscribe.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have a card to your local public library, use it at the library web site to log in. Often you can access many newspapers through their portal, since they subscribe.
And, if you have a .mil or .edu address, Jeff Bezos will give you a Post subscription.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Scouted around and found a free summary of the Post's work in Esquire. Another magazine doing sterling work this year.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You'll need Post access to see this, but the flagship paper has a major story today analyzing Trump's Russian weakness. He cannot, emotionally or psychologically, admit that the Russians meddled in the election; he has to have won because of his own wonderfulness and charisma. And therefore he cannot contemplate Russian interference. And so nothing is being done about it, which means that over in Moscow they're busily organizing for next time while no one is defending the ramparts.

A competing analysis is that Trump is guilty of some pretty big offenses relating to Russia and the 2016 election and is thus very motivated to shut down any discussion of the subject. I'm not sure we can definitely say whether Trump's behavior is due to a fragile ego or evidence of a cover-up (and it could very well be both!), but it's kind of amazing that the very simple explanation that Trump doesn't want to talk about Russia because he's hiding something doesn't even seem to be considered in most media accounts.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of curiosity, I wonder if T's borrowing bucks from Russia pre-run is a legal problem (beyond the fact that such debt, if it exists, could potentially render him vulnerable to blackmail by a hostile power)? That is, are US businesses permitted to borrow funds from just anybody, or are there restrictions on private business transactions involving governments with whom the US is at odds?

And I wonder if that's what hiding his tax returns is all about?

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Croesos

I agree. It's probably both, as you say, but I am sure he's hiding something, rather than just being vain.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The tax returns are key; without them we'll probably never now how hard the Russians are squeezing his balls. 300 days, to November 2018.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the big thing is the likelihood that Trump's main business for the past two decades has been laundering money for Russian and Kazakh gangsters. His role was probably pretty passive, but it's unlikely he didn't know what was going on. There was a pretty well-sourced Financial Times story a few years ago that pointed in that direction.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone put any perspective at all on this?
quote:
Trump administration officials are forbidding officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases... in any official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

(...) The forbidden words are: “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Especially arresting is the suggestion that
quote:
Instead of “science-based” or “evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,”
Any precedents? Any defensible reasons? Romanlion, care to comment?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is horrid. Echoes of 1984. Here, from the Appendix, is a telling quote

quote:
The particularities of Newspeak make it impossible to translate most older English (oldspeak) texts into the language; the introduction of the Declaration of Independence, for instance, can be translated only into a single word: crimethink.

[ 17. December 2017, 06:58: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The banning of these words makes me wonder how long until the burning of science books begins.

As so many have mentioned, every time I think things can't get worse, something like this happens. This is terrifying.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They won't be burning the Bible, though.

Well, not the King James Authorised Version, of course - all the rest will be consigned to the flames, I daresay.

Gropo the Great's America is becoming almost surreal in its hideousness. You couldn't make it up.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Can someone put any perspective at all on this?
quote:
Trump administration officials are forbidding officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases... in any official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

(...) The forbidden words are: “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Especially arresting is the suggestion that
quote:
Instead of “science-based” or “evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,”
Any precedents? Any defensible reasons? Romanlion, care to comment?

Ecclesiastes 1:9

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which readeth:

Ecclesiastes 1:9 King James Version (KJV)

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

YMMV.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Romanlion you earlier alleged that a Trump presidency would have no impact on your life. This policy is likely to have a negative effect on public health. Do you still feel unaffected?
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Votive] that romanlion's Elf remains good, under the Pussygrabber President's regime...

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Administration policies should all be perfectly fine for you, as long as:

- you don't plan to retire
- you don't ever get sick or disabled
- you can afford your own birth control
- you can, always and into the future, support all your own children, who must naturally never get sick or be disabled. Ditto your aged parents.
- you never lose your job (ideally you do not need to work, having inherited wealth)
- you are white, and ideally male and older.

Easy! Let us not repine, but contemplate these new beatitudes and be grateful we don't have to deal with those old ones any more.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Public health policy can impact your health even if you're otherwise healthy. It's to do with things like disease prevention and the social determinants of health. Worse general public health is bad for the economy, nurtures crime, and impacts society in general.

[ 16. December 2017, 16:28: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Mr. Obama probably appreciated that, but Pussygrabber? Hah!

IJ

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't he coming over here next year? Perhaps someone could shut him in the Tower and accidentally on purpose lose the key? Trouble is you've got to pay to get in these days! [Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
Isn't he coming over here next year? Perhaps someone could shut him in the Tower and accidentally on purpose lose the key? Trouble is you've got to pay to get in these days! [Two face]

I will happily pay if you promise to keep him there.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:

I will happily pay if you promise to keep him there.
[Big Grin]

[Big Grin] [Killing me]

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been reading a book on Grant by Ron Chernow and am wading through the history of the presidency of Andrew Johnson In many ways Johnson and Drump are very similar. Both are white nationalist sympathizers, both were out touch with reality. Both have been candidates for impeachment. It would seem to me if Congress flips to Democrat, there will be a very strong movement to impeach Trump. I think there is also grounds to impeach Pence since he lied to the Congress. That would leave the Speaker of the House as next in line. Paul Ryan has hinted very strongly he is retiring, and if Congress goes Democrat, that would mean the likes of Nancy Pelosi could become president by default.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking on the way home from church...

What if all fifty states decided as one to secede? We could stay right where we are and set up as the New U. S. of A. or some such, and leave T. stranded on a little island of No-Longer-Our-Government. If the whole country secedes, is it really a secession?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this a new position?

I'll ignore the coup reference...

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're laying the ground-work to fire Mueller during the holiday news lull.

(I'm not sure that Henry II invented the trick where you get rid of the political enemy during Christmas when no one is paying attention, but it's been a solid go-to since at least 1170.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
They're laying the ground-work to fire Mueller during the holiday news lull.

The one thing people learn from history ....

.... is that people do not learn from history.

But I suppose Trump is not really "people", is he?

Here is a nice quote from the first link.

quote:
First, Trump has a very strong motive to fire Mueller: He is probably guilty.
Firing Mueller would pretty much confirm that. But it still leaves open whether the present GOP would step up to the plate. Now that's a good question.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They were set to seat a pedophile in the Senate last week, so extrapolate from there...

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How can someone get this far?

I can't watch the video. I feel for him.

quote:
However, Senator Kennedy said in an interview on Monday that Mr Trump called him on Saturday and said he did not personally interview Petersen and said his staff had chosen the nominees.

"He has told me, 'Kennedy, when some of my guys send someone who is not qualified, you do your job,'" the senator said.

His staff have a lot to answer for. Doubt this can be pinned on the Groping Orange Menace (or can it? do Presidents often take a hands-on role here?), but surely some basic suitability check would be done.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Petersen had any sense of dignity, he would simply have said, "Excuse me, gentlemen, but I'd like to withdraw my name from consideration" and would have left the room.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Very good point. Thank you.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Truman had a sign, 'The Buck Stops Here.' Crooked Don should have seen to it that his staff did its job. We assume here that he cannot do the work himself. To pass the blame to them does not excuse him in the slightest. Can't he take half an hour off from tweeting and groping to do the job he swore to do?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
If Petersen had any sense of dignity, he would simply have said, "Excuse me, gentlemen, but I'd like to withdraw my name from consideration" and would have left the room.

Oh well - at least he's done that retrospectively

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump. The Beast's Prophet? This is a declaration of war, sorry defence through the rampant arsenal of nationalist capitalism. Isn't it intriguing that in The Apocalypse it's the environment that fights back?

[ 19. December 2017, 13:53: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Trump-related only, but Crooked Don is presiding over the end of Christianity in this country. White American Christianity is dying of fear.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, not the end of Christianity in toto , but perhaps the end of that pernicious simulacrum* of Christianity purveyed by the right-wing conservatives....

....in which case, no bad thing IMHO.

IJ

*A lovely word. I've been trying to find a use for it all week.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

John Pavlovitz does his voice-crying-in-the-wilderness thing again.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Dear God. What a ghastly vision.

[Mad]

America, rise up! And GET RID OF THESE BASTARDS!

IJ

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Dear God. What a ghastly vision.

[Mad]

America, rise up! And GET RID OF THESE BASTARDS!

IJ

It is ghastly Bishops Finger and a reason I suspect why Dickens wrote 'Christmas Carol' to begin with

Getting rid of them is easier said than done in a democratic country and besides which we've got a few like that ourselves......

I would however recommend a perusal of the Book of Amos which contains naught for their comfort and of course the Magnificat. I'm sure Blessed Mary would also have a thing or three to say about it!!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, I was getting Rather Heated when I posted in such immoderate terms.

As you rightly say, easier said than done.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

300 days. Election day 2018.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big surprise, but I might as well post that the tax bill passed the house. [Projectile]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Trump-related only, but Crooked Don is presiding over the end of Christianity in this country. White American Christianity is dying of fear.

Superb Brenda. The arc is long, but there is hope. Once all the dross is burned away, real Christianity will shine in the ash.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Not Trump-related, but this is an interesting graph.

(To me at least.)

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Superb Brenda. The arc is long, but there is hope. Once all the dross is burned away, real Christianity will shine in the ash.

I admire your optimism. Wish I had it.

I don't doubt a Glorious Revolution - for some time; but power will get to people's heads, as it always has. Or so thinks cynical me. I think we can but hope for a few faithful witnesses.

Sorry to be a downer.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Big surprise, but I might as well post that the tax bill passed the house. [Projectile]

Yesterday I finally did something I'd never done before -- called one of the Senators from my state (I refuse to call him "my Senator"). Senator Flake was supposedly still undecided yesterday, so I called and spoke with his voicemail. The other Senator from the Great State of Arizona is John McCain, who recuperating from his cancer treatment here in Arizona and won't be there for the vote. (I seriously doubt that he'll be going back to Washington at all.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, poor man, I think this is the end for him even though he won't admit it.
And in more local news, my state of Virginia has just flipped the state legislature. After weeks of recounting, it came down to =one= vote!
The Post analysis: "Their victory was confirmed when Democrat Shelly Simonds won a recount Tuesday for a seat in the Virginia House by just one vote. A judicial panel needs to certify the results on Wednesday, but Democrats are claiming victory.
That means Republicans and Democrats will have a rare tie in that chamber — something even the most optimistic Democrats didn't think was possible going into last month's election. Republicans had held the majority in this statehouse for two decades, and before last month, they controlled 66 out of 100 seats. After Tuesday, both sides hold 50 seats."

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I really hope this link works: From Russia with Love.

[Snigger]

--------------------
~Tortuf

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was talk of not seating the new Democrat senator until after the vote on the tax thing. Is that still the case?

Its no surprise I suppose. McConnell is a master of the dark art of process.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016