homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 62)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I really hope this link works: From Russia with Love.

Brilliant!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
There was talk of not seating the new Democrat senator until after the vote on the tax thing. Is that still the case?

Its no surprise I suppose. McConnell is a master of the dark art of process.

No, he's not going to be seated until January. He will not be there to vote on the tax overhaul.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometime back someone commented they could not stand Trump's "manic" gestures. I actually think the better word is "stilted." People who use stilted gestures generally have a sense of arrogance. Anyway, Disney has installed an automitron of the Orange One in its Hall of Presidents. While they used Jon Voight's face for Trump's likeness, they nailed the Orange One's gestures IMHO. See for yourself.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Snigger]

Thanks, Pigwidgeon. AWESOME! May it be so.

I noticed an interesting detail about 13 sec. in, hanging where people often put protective/faith symbols in their cars. *Brenda*, you'll like it!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Superb Brenda. The arc is long, but there is hope. Once all the dross is burned away, real Christianity will shine in the ash.

I admire your optimism. Wish I had it.

I don't doubt a Glorious Revolution - for some time; but power will get to people's heads, as it always has. Or so thinks cynical me. I think we can but hope for a few faithful witnesses.

Sorry to be a downer.

I'm optimistic on an almost geological timescale Ian. We've been on this arc for two hundred thousand years, eighty, fifty at best if we evolved talking late. Halfway. To really better. Fifty thousand years to justice. It will take at least ten for English and Arabic, Christianity and Islam to disappear. No human construct lasts that long.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Naah. We're all doomed. There's a light though (over at the Frankenstein place)..... there's a li-hi-hi-hi-hight (burning in the fireplace)...

Musical theater is the best humanity gets.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good book to read is The Better Angels of our Nature by Stephen Pinker. He argues that we are provably getting less violent, and he backs it up with data and a jillion graphs. It's the sort of book that you close and pray, "Oh God, let Stephen Pinker be right!"

We must stay strong, and =vote=. Your classic case in point: the Virginia legislature has flipped from red to blue, on ONE single solitary vote. One! So, the moral is, vote. Plan to vote in every election, from now until the angels haul you away. See if, on your deathbed, you can vote absentee. We can't ever again take the political process for granted -- look what happens when we do!

[ 20. December 2017, 15:38: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Snigger]

That looks familiar, but it seems like it's worth a repost.

quote:
Naah. We're all doomed. There's a light though (over at the Frankenstein place)..... there's a li-hi-hi-hi-hight (burning in the fireplace)...

It's just a sweet indictment
With indisputable ties to Russia

If you enjoy musical theater and anti-Trump stuff Randy Rainbow is your man.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
We must stay strong, and =vote=. Your classic case in point: the Virginia legislature has flipped from red to blue, on ONE single solitary vote. One! So, the moral is, vote. Plan to vote in every election, from now until the angels haul you away. See if, on your deathbed, you can vote absentee. We can't ever again take the political process for granted -- look what happens when we do!

One of the morals is to vote. Democratic candidates won 53% of the collective vote in the 2017 Virginia House of Delegates elections compared to the Republican's 44% and still didn't manage to get outright control of the HoD. The other moral is that structural issues and gerrymandering matter.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taking a longer view, perhaps Usania will be more sensible next time....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

One of the morals is to vote. Democratic candidates won 53% of the collective vote in the 2017 Virginia House of Delegates elections compared to the Republican's 44% and still didn't manage to get outright control of the HoD. The other moral is that structural issues and gerrymandering matter.
And the best way to fix the second is to do the first.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

[Snigger]

That looks familiar, but it seems like it's worth a repost.

quote:

It's just a sweet indictment
With indisputable ties to Russia

If you enjoy musical theater and anti-Trump stuff Randy Rainbow is your man.

Oh yes, Randy Rainbow is a great satirist with an excellent voice!

--------------------
Human

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With your company tax rate set to drop, and your citizens swimming in huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge tax cuts, I expect the typical rent-seekers such as our Business Council to be whinging and whining about our "exorbitant" corporate tax rates.

Corporations truly rule the world.

And how nice that countries in need who don't vote according to how a donating country votes may find their aid cut.

[removed defective link]

[ 21. December 2017, 07:08: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Andy Borowitz does not fail in our time of need.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING111

In the next few days, the UN General Assembly is about to take a vote condemning the US for deciding to relocate its embassy to Jerusalem.

Niki Haley and the President are now taking names as to who votes against them.

Do not be intimidated by these bullies. The world needs to stand up to them.

That is call,

Carry on.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought the French can be relied on to vote against the US. As I mentioned on the other thread, a significant plank of their foreign policy can be summed up as Don’t Piss Off the Arabs™. As per the Iraq war, they have form on deciding that pissing off the Americans is going to be less costly for them.

Also Manu Macron* seems to quite enjoy poking Trump in the eye. Witness his “make our planet great again” campaign, which has got a mixed reception at home. (Essentially he is handing out a very significant amount of money in research grants for American climate change scientists. Some people want to know why he’s not funding French/European science.) This sits alongside inviting El Presidente to Paris in full state pomp in what looks to me like a game of nice cop, nasty cop. AFAICT, the take-home message is “you don’t scare me”.

*Incidentally, whose birthday it is today. Many happy returns, Monsieur le Président.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it refreshingly subversive, somehow, to think that the leader of a major European country (i.e. la belle France ) might enjoy taking a rise out of a humourless goblin like Gropo the Great. Pity the orcs 'in charge' of Ukland can't do the same.

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Andy Borowitz does not fail in our time of need.

Borowitz left out . . .

"Believe me!"

"I've just told a huuugely obvious whopper."

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Niki Haley and the President are now taking names as to who votes against them.

"Taking names"? I was under the impression that these votes were on the record. It isn't a secret ballot. Somebody really should tell Comrade Trump that he doesn't have to waste time and energy taking down names--just read the results.

Oh. Wait. It is the "read" part that is troubling him, isn't it. My mistake. Go ahead. Take down names.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever shortfall in aid he creates we should all (all other countries) make up immediately.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Whatever shortfall in aid he creates we should all (all other countries) make up immediately.

That would be consistent with a lot of Trump's foreign policy: reducing America's influence in the world. Pulling out of the Trans Pacific Partnership weakened US influence in Asia. Pulling out of the Climate Accord weakened US influence on climate matters worldwide. Reducing aid to other countries on this ridiculous pretext will open the door for China and Russia to increase their aid and influence in other countries, all at the expense of the US.

In other words, Comrade Trump has been acting just as his controllers in Russia want him to do. He is a good and obedient flunkie.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has America’s influence in the world been such a good thing? 🤔

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn;t say that he's doing what Russia tells him to, I'd interpret everything about him and his behaviour before after election is that he's a bully, and engages in bully tactics all the time. He isn't shy about it either, he brags about being a bully.

He seems to be in league with Russia because Putin is also a bully. It may be that Russia has something on him, but its being a bully that's the main issue. Like Nixon before him, even when he gets taken down, he won't admit to anything, any flaws, everyone else will be blamed. We can only hope fewer rather than more people are killed along the way.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

So the UN vote is in: 128 nations approved, 9 opposed, 35 abstained and 21 decided that discretion was the better part of valor and did not show up at all.

Those voting on the side of the US in opposing the resolution:
quote:
The nine who voted against the resolution were the US, Israel, Guatemala, Honduras, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Togo
Otherwise known as the new "Coalition of the Willing."

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Looking forward to the inevitable Twitter tantrum.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

A fair proportion of US aid to countries like Egypt is military stuff, would be my guess.

--------------------
Human

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which isn't going to go over well with the US defense contractors due to profit handsomely from running up those goods . . .

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

yup. I haven't researched my assertion, but neither has Trump.

--------------------
Human

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Samantha Bee interviews A.R. Bernard, the one pastor who had the guts to leave Trump's evangelical council.

Bernard has an interesting alternative OT take on Trump: rather than Cyrus, he's Saul.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

And, now it is announced that Nikki Hailey is inviting the nations who voted with the United States to an exclusive year-end party, all others are left out.

Talk about a Mean Girl attitude.

And don't get me started about the sham cabinet meeting where Uncle Ben said "grace" and Cousin Mike sang praises to the Dear Leader, and nothing else was said. And the DL just took it all in with a scowl on his face and his arms folded close to his chest.

Oh, and there were all those congressmen who showed up at the White House and essentially did the same thing--even those who have been very critical of the DL were singing praises to him.

I wonder why the change in tone. Because they got such large tax cuts? Or because some of them are angling for the Secretary of State job?

Pathetic. I cannot wait until November 2018.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Singing praises to the orange orangutan?

Their jobs depend on it.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, and there were all those congressmen who showed up at the White House and essentially did the same thing--even those who have been very critical of the DL were singing praises to him.

I wonder why the change in tone.

mene mene tekel upharsin...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
With your company tax rate set to drop, and your citizens swimming in huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge tax cuts, I expect the typical rent-seekers such as our Business Council to be whinging and whining about our "exorbitant" corporate tax rates.

Prescient...

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since you've popped in....

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Since you've popped in....

Seems like that narrative has changed in the intervening period.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a lot, romanlion. Even if the motivation was "Don't wave a red rag at a bull" if you want to look after projects, the only issue is whether the CDC officials were right to spot the red rags in advance.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Not a lot, romanlion. Even if the motivation was "Don't wave a red rag at a bull" if you want to look after projects, the only issue is whether the CDC officials were right to spot the red rags in advance.

Quite a lot actually.

Trump administration officials are forbidding officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases

is a far cry from:

anonymous sources at the Department of Health and Human Services told the National Review’s Yuval Levin this week that any language changes did not originate with political appointees, but instead came from career CDC officials who were strategizing...

It makes utter bullshit of the original story.

This kind of thing happens with regularity it seems.

So if there is any "threat" to public health from the restriction on language it would appear to come not from Trump, but from within the CDC itself. Kind of turns the whole implication of the Bangor Daily piece inside out.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Any wording in a scientific institution that steps away from "evidence-based" is bad. Any administration that doesn't recognise and take steps to avoid that is complicit. I don't notice concern on the part of the Trump administration about this manipulative wording, whoever is authoring it, in a government department devoted to public health; the administration appears utterly self-absorbed. That will ultimately affect you.

Your move.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Any wording in a scientific institution that steps away from "evidence-based" is bad. Any administration that doesn't recognise and take steps to avoid that is complicit. I don't notice concern on the part of the Trump administration about this manipulative wording, whoever is authoring it, in a government department devoted to public health; the administration appears utterly self-absorbed. That will ultimately affect you.

Your move.

Let me make sure I understand...

Originally you were all spun up that the Trump administration was banning words and that was bad for my health. Now it has been pointed out that there is no "ban" on any words, just self censorship as "an attempt by bureaucrats to save their favorite projects from unforgiving budget cuts."

And now I should be mad that Trump doesn't what, demand they put those words back in their budget narratives?!

[Killing me]

CDC is bad for my health, I get it.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frank Herbert said it best, romanlion.

"If you put away from you those who tell you the truth, those who remain will know what you want to hear. I can think of nothing more poisonous than to rot in the stink of your own reflection" (From the Dune sagas).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Frank Herbert said it best, romanlion.

"If you put away from you those who tell you the truth, those who remain will know what you want to hear. I can think of nothing more poisonous than to rot in the stink of your own reflection" (From the Dune sagas).

Thanks B, your fish have been few but meaty!

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a very funny and telling test-drive of Trump's diet. It reminds me of Brillat-Savarin: Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you what you are.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Singing praises to the orange orangutan? Their jobs depend on it.

It is being reported that shortly after OO singed his tax bill some of his staff sat down with him and had a come to Jesus moment with him. They were rather blunt in their discussions with him, telling him he is likely going to lose Congress in the upcoming elections. And that is the point, the Congress' jobs do not depend on OO, but on the will of the people. It is going to be a very rough year for the Republican Party. And 2019 will be a very rough year for OO if he does not shoot himself in the foot first by firing Mueller or starting a war with the Peoples Republic of North Korea.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is being reported that shortly after OO singed his tax bill...

Got it a little too close to the Christmas candles, did he?
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Singing praises to the orange orangutan? Their jobs depend on it.

It is being reported that shortly after OO singed his tax bill some of his staff sat down with him and had a come to Jesus moment with him. They were rather blunt in their discussions with him, telling him he is likely going to lose Congress in the upcoming elections. And that is the point, the Congress' jobs do not depend on OO, but on the will of the people. It is going to be a very rough year for the Republican Party. And 2019 will be a very rough year for OO if he does not shoot himself in the foot first by firing Mueller or starting a war with the Peoples Republic of North Korea.

Unfortunately the current GOP Congresspeople seem to have turned that deficit to an advantage. Having given up on reelection they are freed from the onerous burden of pretending to care two figs about their constituents. They can plunder the poor, rob dying children of health care, in order to give their Goldman-Sachs overlords whatever they desire, secure in the knowledge the money guys will provide them with cushy post-Congressional Employment. I find them even more terrifying now that they've clearly given up on reelection

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, career politicians, left or right, always have their friends in business to turn to when their constituents decide their time is up. But this lot of Republicans seem particularly horrid, and their don't-give-a-damn meters are turned to 11.

Samantha Bee was interviewing the pastor who left that (un)holy alliance of religious leaders Trump had after Trump's do-nothing response to the white extremists. He held out hope we would see how rotten the state of politics is. I worry it can go lower...or the damage done in the meantime. And how much a Democrat would be able to repeal...

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Oh it can definitely get worse, but I don't think it will. I saw on my facebook feed that Gov. Brown in California was pardoning people who would otherwise be deported. I didn't read the story, but that seemed to me a good thing, and one that shows how many ways there are to skin a political cat in the USA.

On a related tangent, SBS are showing the Ken Burns docco on the Vietnam War on Saturday nights. Last night they showed the footage of John McCain getting interviewed in a Nth Vietnamese hospital after he got his broken bones set without any painkillers. You could see the pain and fear in his eyes and in his voice. The man was expecting to die. I was so incensed, yet again, that McCain's service, hard bloody service, was attacked by the coward Donald Trump. It wasn't just his service. It was the service of every Allied POW in Vietnam and in other wars. I was spitting chips. It took me half an hour to calm down.

--------------------
Human

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Last night they showed the footage of John McCain getting interviewed in a Nth Vietnamese hospital after he got his broken bones set without any painkillers. You could see the pain and fear in his eyes and in his voice. The man was expecting to die.

If he had, his principles wouldn't have been so debatable as they are now.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
romanlion--

Such a cheery comment. 'Tis the season. May you be visited by the 3 Christmas ghosts.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

simontoad--

AIUI, McCain could've left earlier, but chose to stay with his comrades.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016