homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 65)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait ... naked? Shouldn't you at least wear swim briefs? We would not want to see you arrested for indecent exposure.
Look, it's a dynasty! But if this is really Ivanka's ambition she ought to rein in the old man better. It's no fun being the first woman president of a smoking radioactive wasteland.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always supposing there are any survivors who might vote for her........

'Dynasty', pronounced Die Nasty, is probably the correct word.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
If the Koreas do get together and 'normalise' relations, I am inclined to award that to Trump if there is no further intervening cause.

Does this count as an "intervening cause"?

quote:
A few paragraphs from the bottom of the story, the Times buried the notion that North Korea is getting desperate because, in the past 60 days, the South has been showing signs of putting real teeth in the sanctions imposed by the UN. In October, South Korea had evidence that third-nation ships were transferring oil to North Korean ships at sea, ship-to-ship. This is in violation of the sanctions. But that transfer took place in late October, and the South Koreans, generally speaking, like to be very deliberate. So when the ship (a Chinese-owned vessel) made another port call in South Korea in mid-November, they questioned the crew.

At nearly the same time, the US government went public with a largely unnoticed bit of data. They published satellite photos of another ship making an at-sea transfer to a North Korean ship. This got almost no press at the time, but it was a huge development courtesy of the US Department of the Treasury, which as far as I know has no satellite at all, or high-tech surveillance aircraft, operating in the vicinity of the Korean Peninsula.

South Korea got real on the issue when they decided to formally seize the Chinese ship, the Lighthouse Winmere. At almost the same time, they refused to allow a Panamanian-flagged vessel, the Koti, which they believed had done the same thing, to depart a South Korean harbor. Sometime after that, they seized the Koti as well. In other words, they have started truly enforcing the sanctions — not by going after the North Koreans directly, but by making it tough for other nations to flout them. Perhaps using their own intel, or using American intel, or using the cover of "American intel" to conceal their own, the South Koreans are for the first time putting a significant economic bite into North Korea. We've discussed such a "quarantine" previously.

It looks like South Korea is doing that to a degree, closer to home than we would, and in a way we [the United States] could not. The real motive behind Kim's overture might be to relieve that pressure. Not everything has to be about us Americans, right?

This seems like a much more plausible explanation for any recent overtures by North Korea than the idea that they've suddenly realized that the U.S. is heavily armed and antagonistic towards them. They've known that since the Fifties.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am thinking if you start cutting off oil from the North Koreans you are grabbing them by the testicles. Seems like a good reason to talk to me.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
This seems like a much more plausible explanation for any recent overtures by North Korea than the idea that they've suddenly realized that the U.S. is heavily armed and antagonistic towards them. They've known that since the Fifties.

The other recent change is of course that NK can (convince itself that America believes NK can) retaliate directly at America and hence can be a bit less paranoid.
Though at first sight that conflicts with the Petrol explanation, and crazy President theory, it may be that they interleave.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Always supposing there are any survivors who might vote for her........

'Dynasty', pronounced Die Nasty, is probably the correct word.

[Disappointed]

IJ

Vote? What is this verb? Though I believe Father Putin used to use some such ploy. No, since the review of the Constitution (sad old fashioned document) that nonsense hasn't been necessary.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, no - let us live in hope!

The sad and diminished denizens of the smoking wasteland, all that is left of once-great Usania, will Come To Their Senses, and re-introduce the Constitution (with a few amendments re gun control).

A short version, capable of being scratched onto stones, will be required, of course.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do know there's a conservative movement afoot to call a Constitutional Convention and rewrite the whole thing, don't you? It's a scary thing.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

quote:
Sarah Huckabee Sanders began the briefing by introducing a “special guest,” and then Trump’s hideous orange visage loomed on screens placed on either side of her. He read a script in which he bragged about the stock market, took credit for bonuses workers have recently received, etc.

Trump is in the White House today. He could have strolled down to the briefing room and made a statement in person. But that would require the ability to make a coherent statement live and the discipline to avoid going ape-shit at reporter questions. Since Trump possesses neither of these abilities, they went with the Wizard of Oz approach.

This is not the way to squelch rumors that Trump is coming apart at the seams mentally.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rumours? Really?

Surely many, many people have been convinced that this is a man who is unhinged for a long time; what has worried many of us is not just the mental/emotional state of he who is now POTUS, rather of the capability of rational thought of those who voted for him - indeed for anyone who ever, for one second, thought this man was a fit-and-proper-person to be POTUS.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is unhinged and there is unhinged. With everything that has bgoing on since he became President I wouldn't be surprised if it has tipped him over the edge. I thought I may be immune to his madness after a while, but it seems to be getting worse.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't invoking the 25th Amendment be a great way of making the Mueller investigation go away?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He could fall down in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue foaming at the mouth. But with the connivance of the GOP House and Senate there still would be no way to remove him. He is allegedly seeing a doctor in a week or so. I would bet long odds that this medico will have his report written for him. Did you see that Lyin' Don actually had his height adjusted in his official biography? He made himself taller, so that, when this is compared to his weight, he is not medically obese. I am not overweight, I'm undertall!

In other words, there may be physical, medical, even moral reasons to remove Crooked Don. But there is no political will. And until that happens, we're stuck.

November. First Tuesday. 300 days.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I don't get, and forgive my stupidity and if this was covered earlier (I guess it was), is why Republicans are happy to go along.

Was it all about the tax cuts? The drilling I read may start up? Are they prepared to be annihilated in 300 days for the sake of some victories, losing the war? This surely has to damage them long-term. Or will a suave-talking, sparkly-blue-eyed silver fox rise from the ashes and a majority, however small, of the American public will go, "It will be different this time...He speaks for us," and vote the Rs back in?

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
What I don't get, and forgive my stupidity and if this was covered earlier (I guess it was), is why Republicans are happy to go along.

I would suggest that they have all the spinal fortitude of a garden slug, but then the Slug and Snail Defamation League would be after me. A more psychologically nuanced thought might be that they know. They know that time is short, that doom is rapidly descending, and they vigorously push their heads into the ground and stuff their fingers in their ears. Because there is no way out.

Vanity Fair, one of the many publications that has really proved their worth this year,
delves into the end game of the unfit-for-office route. The man is clearly under pressure and very stressed. And remember he's in his 70s, obese, and living a notably unhealthy life style. (He likes McDonalds because he's terrified of being poisoned, and if you walk into the burger joint the burgers are already made and wrapped, waiting to be sold.)
And, just in case you haven't seen and enjoyed it, VF published this several years ago and it's still one of their most popular photo journals ever: The History of Trump's Hair.
These are all free clicks.

[ 05. January 2018, 00:17: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
(He likes McDonalds because he's terrified of being poisoned, and if you walk into the burger joint the burgers are already made and wrapped, waiting to be sold.)

Slightly off the point, but at least in these parts this is no longer the case. All burgers are made to order from patties sitting in heated trays.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please don't tell 44.3. Since nobody with the power to do so seems able or willing to impeach him or 25th-Amendment him, I'm clinging to my hopes of cholesterol downing him.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wouldn't invoking the 25th Amendment be a great way of making the Mueller investigation go away?
No, Pence is also suspected of being involved with the Russians or at least involved in the cover-up.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Perhaps this is the answer to your question, from today's NYT:
"But most of all, the book confirms what is already widely understood — not just that Trump is entirely unfit for the presidency, but that everyone around him knows it."

"But most members of Trump’s campaign and administration are simply traitors. They are willing, out of some complex mix of ambition, resentment, cynicism and rationalization, to endanger all of our lives — all of our children’s lives — by refusing to tell the country what they know about the senescent fool who boasts of the size of his “nuclear button” on Twitter."

Over in the Post TV host Joe Scarborough says:
'Mika Brzezinski and I had a tense meeting with Trump following what I considered to be a bumbling debate performance in September 2015. I asked the candidate a blunt question.

“Can you read?”

Awkward silence.

“I’m serious, Donald. Do you read?” I continued. “If someone wrote you a one-page paper on a policy, could you read it?”

Taken aback, Trump quietly responded that he could while holding up a Bible given to him by his mother. He then joked that he read it all the time.'

Barack Obama told us, and not enough of us believed him. He warned that Lyin' Don did not have the temperament to be president. Everyone assumed it was mere partisanship, when it was a plain statement of fact.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
quote:
No, Pence is also suspected of being involved with the Russians or at least involved in the cover-up.
Perhaps we can 25th amendment trump, and then impeach Pence. But that would give us Ryan, or some other criminal that Pence selects as Veep in the interim.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With your Korea thing Croessus, I wonder to what extent South Korea's desire to better enforce sanctions is a result of pressure from the White House. I also wonder how the South Koreans are reacting to Trump's brinkmanship, and whether that is prompting them to take steps to bring North Korea to the table.

I'm not putting these as arguments, but questions. I don't want to give Trump credit, but who's to say that this or that factor isn't important when de-escalation occurs.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
(He likes McDonalds because he's terrified of being poisoned, and if you walk into the burger joint the burgers are already made and wrapped, waiting to be sold.)

Slightly off the point, but at least in these parts this is no longer the case. All burgers are made to order from patties sitting in heated trays.
I don't think the idea is so bad - there are lots of burger joints, the beef patties are made in advance and so if Trump wants a burger, the chances of someone getting to it before he gets to the random joint he chooses is very small.

But then it is no surprise that Trump's reasoning is garbage. And this seems to me to be the biggest problem with Trump's whole mindset - he focusses on one small and minor detail and misses a whole other (likely more important) threat. On almost every issue.

--------------------
arse

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

Because apart from the theatrics, he generally pushing core Republican policy.

I don't think the majority of them believe they will be disappear in the midterms (its hard to read whether the Democrats will make a big breakthrough), and presumably there are a few who know they will be affected and are demob happy and looking forward to the private sector roles that are a sinecure for their actions.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m sure Wolff’s book is simply trashy tabloid stuff. But the more trump rages about it the more copies will be sold - and the more likely it’s revelations all begins to look.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, what a result for Donald!

Having fired off angry threats of legal action in an attempt to halt the publication of Wolff's book next Tuesday, Henry Holt brought it forward and copies went on sale at midnight EST.

I may break the golden rule and succumb to using Am**on [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one considering making a rare Kindle purchase here...

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I’m sure Wolff’s book is simply trashy tabloid stuff. But the more trump rages about it the more copies will be sold - and the more likely it’s revelations all begins to look.

There seems little point in threatening to sue unless there is some substance to it.

Also, from what I've read, Wolff has recordings to back up his quotes.

In another incredible example of life imitating art, it also seems he was basically hanging around the West Wing with a press pass for months like that author in House of Cards. One has to wonder who else might have been hanging around too.

And finally, Trump has clearly never heard of the Streisand Effect.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Here's Wolff's story of how the book came to be written.

--------------------

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, it seems that a lot of folk out there consider Michael Woolf a pretty unreliable narrator. His default setting seems to be 'Drama' not 'Documentary' , and that piece referrred to earlier seems a bit like that.

Woolf has a bit of form for inventing things for the sake of the narration 'created rather than recreated' says the following item

https://newrepublic.com/article/67746/wolff-trapped

The piece above does give a real sense of place and time and catches you up in the events, but a lot of it isn't very verifible (unless he does have recordings of course).

Maybe a deserving 'fake news expose' of a 'fake news president', but it will sadly be a book that is easy to dismiss.

[ 05. January 2018, 12:23: Message edited by: beatmenace ]

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:

Maybe a deserving 'fake news expose' of a 'fake news president', but it will sadly be a book that is easy to dismiss.

By everyone except trump, I expect, who will pick over it and rage over every detail.

I’m off to buy shares in popcorn ...

🍿 🍿

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

No. Mueller's instructions are:

quote:
The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James B. Comey in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
  • any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
    -
  • any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
    -
  • any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R § 600.4(a)
If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.
In other words, Mueller's investigation is into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and possible connections between the Russian government and members of the Trump campaign. That goes on whether Trump is in office or not.

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
With your Korea thing Croessus, I wonder to what extent South Korea's desire to better enforce sanctions is a result of pressure from the White House. I also wonder how the South Koreans are reacting to Trump's brinkmanship, and whether that is prompting them to take steps to bring North Korea to the table.

I'm not putting these as arguments, but questions. I don't want to give Trump credit, but who's to say that this or that factor isn't important when de-escalation occurs.

The simplest explanation is that South Korea is stepping up sanctions enforcement because they believe that it's in their political best interests to do so. More specifically South Korean interests in reining in North Korea's behavior exists independently of what the American position may happen to be. They live just next door, after all.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Gosh, what a result for Donald!

Having fired off angry threats of legal action in an attempt to halt the publication of Wolff's book next Tuesday, Henry Holt brought it forward and copies went on sale at midnight EST.

I may break the golden rule and succumb to using Am**on [Biased]

Consider going to your local independent bookstore and see if they're selling it. I know stores who will also sell you the Kindle version, on their web site. You do not have to support Amazon if you don't want to!

As to Crooked Don's eating habits, this Guardian piece by Zoe Williams has rare charm. The most tabloid-esque detail: "The Twitter account @rogueSNRadvisor also revealed how much weight he had gained in the one year between winning the election and this trip: 100lb (seven stone)." I am amazed, I am agog.

Williams wistfully concludes, "Obama – nobody forget Obama – walked a desperate tightrope of presenting himself in an honest way while at the same time masking his effortless superiority, which he managed by eating salted caramel and admitting it. Just imagine for one second that being the worst thing you could say about the US president."

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone needing their laugh for the day need look no further than yesterday's press briefing. In response to more questions about the Wolf book:

quote:
“The president,” Sanders told reporters, “believes in making sure that information is accurate before pushing it out as fact, when it certainly and clearly is not.”
Source: Washington Post

Now I have no idea what on earth that final clause means. But the rest is just pure [Killing me] .

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like this book has got Bestseller written all over it from the get-go. Doubtless a pile a cack which we already know or would rather not know.

This bloke is going the eight years —deal with it World.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interview with the author.

I think he's hit the jackpot. I'm sure the book would have sold well even without the WH attempt to restrain publication. But with that 'additional help' from Childe Donald, this will be a runaway best seller.

The interview had a deadly plausibility. I'm sure he has notes and tapes confirming the essential reality of what is said behind Trump's back.

Time for my Frank Herbert quote again.

quote:
If you put away from you those who tell you the truth, those who remain will know what you want to hear. I can think of nothing more poisonous than to rot in the stink of your own reflections.
When these are the reflections of a spoiled, deteriorating child, clearly in his seventh age, the rot and the stench are indeed very great.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said rolyn. I've said that all along. For gaining nearly 2 lbs a week since the election alone. That IS impressive.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Does The Great Guzzler own shares in McD*****s?

The company appears to be named after him..... [Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Unkind friends elsewhere have suggested that the audiobook version be done by Hillary Clinton or Michelle Obama.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering about any historical precedents for Trump:

I can only think of two, Caligula and bad King John. Rome survived Caligula and England survived King John, right? So America will survive Trump.

Hoping and praying.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You guys over there have had some truly worthless kings, right? Incapacitated, insane? We look at you and hope.
The question of neurological decline analyzed from a medical angle by NY Magazine. The quotations about Lyin' Don's repetitions, failure to recognize friends, and incoherence are terrifying. I have an aunt who's like a vinyl record with a scratch in it -- she keeps on repeating the same thing, without realizing that she's already told us that anecdote. I am confident that my cousins don't let her make any major decisions; she is clearly incapable of it.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In UK history before the crown was denuded of real power, the art of the courtier was based on the premise that kings and queens were spoiled and over-protected from reality. The trick was learning how to be both a successful manipulator and winning the position of 'most trusted'.

All this is very well portrayed, for example, in Wolf Hall. Henry VIII was much smarter than Trump, but was very volatile. Misreading him was likely to be fatal.

I think the real lesson from the history of UK is that dealing with incompetent and/or volatile rulers was a pretty common challenge, and a chancy business. Certainly the White House 'court' is at least as esoteric in its performance as some of the more exotic illustrations from UK history.

[ 05. January 2018, 17:32: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I'm wondering about any historical precedents for Trump:

I can only think of two, Caligula and bad King John. Rome survived Caligula and England survived King John, right? So America will survive Trump.

Hoping and praying.

If you mean precedents for a leader mentally unable to adequately discharge the duties of his position we don't have to go that far afield. Two examples from American history come to mind: Woodrow Wilson, who never fully recovered from a stroke in 1919, and Ronald Reagan, who seems to have suffered from the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease during his second term.

In both cases the work-around involved a personally loyal cadre of aides who worked hard to conceal the president's true condition and guide/make any decisions that needed to be made. In both cases the key member of the team was the President's wife. One of the downsides of this system is that the aides will sometimes start up side projects to suit their own agendas using the borrowed authority of the president. (e.g. funding a secret war in Central America, funded by selling missiles to Iran.)

I'm not sure Donald Trump has anyone has anyone that personally loyal to him in his White House. Ivanka maybe?

[ 05. January 2018, 17:44: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

John (1199-1216) was good, bad, misguided, or plain unlucky - depending on whose account of his reign you read.

Henry VI (1422-1461 and 1470-1471) was pious (to the extent that he became a candidate for canonisation, and his Hat was preserved as a Holy Relic), or one of the weakest, and most ineffectual, kings we've ever had - depending on whose account of his reign you read.

History is indeed written by the victors, but one lives in hope that the history of the (hopefully) brief reign of The Great Orange Pumpkin will be told truthfully......

........by the survivors.

IJ

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you refer to Caligula as a precedent for Trump, bear in mind how Claudius became emperor. Does Trump trust the Secret Service?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Two face]

O, what a wicked thought.....

[Snigger]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
John (1199-1216) was good, bad, misguided, or plain unlucky - depending on whose account of his reign you read.

Henry VI (1422-1461 and 1470-1471) was pious (to the extent that he became a candidate for canonisation, and his Hat was preserved as a Holy Relic), or one of the weakest, and most ineffectual, kings we've ever had - depending on whose account of his reign you read.

History is indeed written by the victors, but one lives in hope that the history of the (hopefully) brief reign of The Great Orange Pumpkin will be told truthfully......

........by the survivors.

IJ

Oh how I wish that Shakespeare were alive to write a play about King Donald!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he could write it as a black comedy.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No, no - not black! Those are Bad Hombres, or Muslims, or something...

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Oh how I wish that Shakespeare were alive to write a play about King Donald!

He kind of did.

In other news the Senate Judiciary Committee has finally leapt into action, issuing the FBI a criminal referral for . . . Christopher Steele?

quote:
Republican Senators Chuck Grassley and Lindsey Graham issued a criminal referral to the Justice Department on Friday urging the department to examine whether the former British spy Christopher Steele made false statements to the FBI "about the distribution of claims contained in the dossier."

In a letter to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and FBI Director Chris Wray, Grassley and Graham wrote: "Attached please find a classified memorandum related to certain communications between Christopher Steele and multiple US news outlets regarding the so-called 'Trump dossier' that Mr. Steele compiled on behalf of Fusion GPS for the Clinton Campaign and the Democratic National Committee and also provided to the FBI."

<snip>

The Senators did not disclose what led them to believe that Steele had misled the FBI. And it is unclear why the DOJ would not have moved to charge Steele if the FBI had found evidence of wrongdoing in their interviews with him.

<snip>

Additionally, there is no evidence that Steele himself was ever under FBI investigation or gave a formal interview to the bureau, raising questions about whether his comments to federal agents regarding the dossier were material.

Legal experts said the referral seemed politically motivated insofar as it did not appear to provide information to the FBI that the bureau did not already have.

Just for those of you who were holding out hope that Congress might do anything other than cover for Donald Trump.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
<snip>

Now I have no idea what on earth that final clause means. But the rest is just pure [Killing me] .

I wondered about that clause myself. I am hoping it was a verbal version of crossing one's fingers behind one's back when telling lies.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

@ Croesos

I wonder what Howard Baker would make of this craven partisanship? What did the GOP Senators and Representatives not want to know and when did they not want to know it?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016