homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 66)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Christopher Steele does come under serious investigation by Trump's supporters, would the British government stand up for him?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of excellent pieces about the Wolff book brouhaha. These should be free clicks.
Wolff as a journalist, from GQ.
And the New Yorker also has an angle on it.
And, advice on what to do about it all. Stay engaged, don't despair, and vote. 300 days...

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda, it's late in the UK and I might be missing something, but isn't your third link the same as your second?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look below the story for the advice: engage politically.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worry that this book will just add another string to the Trump bow. However great or insightful or true the content of the book might be, it looks like the author's past failings will damage its credibility. That's already the line taken by some stories about it on Australian television.

The allegations will only damage Trump if he sues and the matter runs to trial, and then only (hopefully) people who are undecided.

As Brenda is reminding us: look to the election. He must be first hog-tied and then defeated at the ballot box, not in the court of social media.

Croessus, you are of course right on Korea. What the hell was I thinking? I saw a report of Trump claiming victory in Korea by tweet and making a claim similar to mine. Oh the shame!

[edit: I pledge to undergo intensive remedial training in the use of colons and semicolons.]

[ 06. January 2018, 01:10: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Brenda, it's late in the UK and I might be missing something, but isn't your third link the same as your second?

Dang, you're right. Sorry about that!

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, the story about political engagement is at the bottom of the link.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In other news the Senate Judiciary Committee has finally leapt into action, issuing the FBI a criminal referral for . . . Christopher Steele?
Just a small point here. It was not the Senate Judiciary Committee that made the referral but the two leading Republicans of that committee that made the referral. The Democrats on the committee weren't even allowed to see the complaint, let alone vote on it. The committee is practically in civil war at this time.

Looks like Mitt Romney will be standing for the US Senate on behalf of Utah. He will likely get it since Utah gave him 97% of the vote when he ran in the presidential primary there. But there was one thing one of his spokespersons said that got me.

He said Romney is concerned about hearing how many of the congressional Republicans are saying they are serving the President. Romney wants it to be known he will be serving at the pleasure of the people of Utah. In actuality, that is the way it should be, all of Congress is serving at the pleasure of the people who voted for them.

2018 will be an interesting year. There is strong indication that both houses of Congress may flip Democrat.

And then we will have a valid check on the power of the president.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And article supporting the above point.

Sorry, I forgot to add it the above post.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully a few other Republicans follow Romney's lead in not bowing before the Beast of Babylon.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

2018 will be an interesting year. There is strong indication that both houses of Congress may flip Democrat.

And then we will have a valid check on the power of the president.

I hate to rain on the parade, but China, the EU and the US are all likely to experience strong economic growth this year. It is likely that a majority of people in the developed world will end 2018 better off than they started it, whatever our idiot politicians do. That will give incumbent parties a significant advantage.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump's Twitter feed right now is beyond priceless. Poe's law in action.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, although he may think otherwise, the Great Goblin is actually living on this planet.

Worse luck.

Entertaining, perhaps, for those of us not living in Usania (or should that be Insania?), but for how long can this farrago of nonsense go on?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad old git. Wonder why he needed 3 TVs AND a lock on the door?

Never diagnose mental disorder from a distance. BUT the disquieting signs are there for all to see. The Twitter feed is plausible evidence that there is something seriously wrong with him.

He really has lost it. It's beginning to look like implementation of the 25th has moved into the category of a necessary kindness. Just a question of when, and who will bite the bullet.

Time for the medieval messenger to step up.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
I hate to rain on the parade, but China, the EU and the US are all likely to experience strong economic growth this year. It is likely that a majority of people in the developed world will end 2018 better off than they started it, whatever our idiot politicians do. That will give incumbent parties a significant advantage.

A rising economic tide will not float boats that don’t exist. The strengthening of an economy does not unilaterally benefit everyone. Economic disparity is still on the increase. However, you are correct in that it will help incumbent parties. Perception is stronger than reality.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Trump's Twitter feed right now is beyond priceless. Poe's law in action.

Every new tweet adds weight to Michael Wolff’s contention that Trump is acting like a toddler with dementia.

What I don’t understand is the 51K+ ❤️ hearts that accompany each tweet 🤔

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Never diagnose mental disorder from a distance. BUT the disquieting signs are there for all to see. The Twitter feed is plausible evidence that there is something seriously wrong with him.

He really has lost it. It's beginning to look like implementation of the 25th has moved into the category of a necessary kindness. Just a question of when, and who will bite the bullet.

Time for the medieval messenger to step up.

When? 2570 days.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK, frontotemporal dementia has symptoms including "acting inappropriately or impulsively", "appearing selfish or unsympathetic", "overeating", "getting distracted easily" and "struggling to make the right sounds when saying a word".

I remember clearly when my Mum first started with dementia. Just the occasional word came out wrong. But one of the most noticeable things was the way she drank from a glass - she seemed to need two hands to guide it to her mouth.

A lot like this.

If it is dementia then the illness will show itself clearly, and in public, sooner or later.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie
What I don’t understand is the 51K+ ❤️ hearts that accompany each tweet 🤔

At least some are probably bots. But it’s a good reminder that, no matter how bad it gets, we’re still going to need massive turnout in the next two elections to stop it. My wife was a volunteer in the first Obama campaign, and tells stories about what they did to get the votes out. Rides, babysitting, pizza for anyone waiting in long lines to vote. The Clinton campaign didn’t organize like that, and it probably bit them in the ass. Don’t let poll numbers fool you. 2018 and 2020 are going to be all hands on deck elections if we want to beat Trump.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

300 days, folks. November, 2018.
Here from the Atlantic is an analysis of the current Tweetstorm. (Lord, that those words ever left my fingertips...)
It begins:
“I can handle things. I’m smart! Not like everybody says, like dumb. I’m smart and I want respect!”

This morning’s presidential Twitter outburst recalls those words of Fredo Corleone’s in one of the most famous scenes from The Godfather series. Trump tweeted that his “two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart,” and in a subsequent tweet called himself a “very stable genius.”

Trump may imagine that he’s Michael Corleone, the tough and canny rightful heir—or even Sonny Corleone, the terrifyingly violent but at least powerful heir apparent—but after today he is Fredo forever.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

quote:
The election will come at a time when most people will be discovering their health insurance premiums will be going up because of the demise of the ACA. If Congress even attempts to cut into Social Security or Medicare they will be dancing on the third rail of American politics.

It is my contention that the election of Doug Jones to the Senate in Alabama will provide a roadmap for the national democratic party. Minorities and women will decide the election. When the Trump administration is threatening the rights of Hispanic citizens, trying to backtrack on the equal rights of homosexuals, even ignoring the opinion of 64% of the national population concerning the legalization of a weed, they are on pretty thin ice. Toss in the current wave against sexual harassment and abuse, which got started in reaction to Trump's boasting he could grab female's p@ssy and get away with it, I would say he is going down if he can last that long.

Did I say anything about the ongoing Russian investigation?

Should I mention someone's deteriorating mental health?

Economics be damned. China's economy is about to collapse because of its heavy cooperate debt. Economists are saying its growth will likely slow down this year. The American markets will likely see a correction before the November election. And no one knows for sure what Brexit if it is carried out, will mean to the European economy.

Throw in a few wars here and there, and it could be a mess for the current administration.

My read.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh I hope not. We have been lucky this year. There have been no major crises that he could not ignore (Puerto Ricans). The man could not organize is way out of a paper bag open at both ends. Presented with a real crisis he and the crew of toadies around him will flail like fish. Look how they're reacting to the mere publication of a book! And we'll be doomed.

--------------------

apostate630
Apprentice
# 15425

- Posted      Profile for apostate630   Email apostate630   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
[QUOTE] [b]I
Should I mention someone's deteriorating mental health?

I'm no Shakespeare scholar, but lately Gloucester from King Lear keeps springing unbidden and unwelcome to mind.

The king is mad. How stiff is my vile sense,
That I stand up and have ingenious feeling
Of my huge sorrows. Better I were distract—
So should my thoughts be severed from my griefs,
And woes by wrong imaginations lose
The knowledge of themselves.

Pretty opaque stuff even by The Bard's standards. Take it away, Sparknotes:

The king is insane. I hate the fact that I’m sane enough to be aware of my own great suffering. It’d be better to be delirious and unaware of anything. Then my mind would be free of sorrow, and sadness would be forgotten in my hallucinations.

Posts: 46 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
... Trump tweeted that his “two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart,” ...

Is there nobody in the White House who's paid to point out to him that these messages only serve to make the world realise what a complete and utter arse he is?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, that would be John Kelly's job. The Post reports:
'White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly spoke briefly to reporters at Camp David. He had not seen Trump's tweets and, when a reporter showed them to him, he responded, "Okay." Then he said Trump posted the tweets in order to circumvent the media "filter" on reporting on Wolff's book -- even though Trump praised the media for questioning some of Wolff's reporting techniques.'
There, you see? It's all part of this bigly plan.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the White House staff were paid to keep reassuring The Great Gropo just how smart and, like, stable he is......

This is becoming either a farce, or a Greek tragedy.

Maybe one of his fundie-evo mates could exorcise the demon which seems to be possessing him?

Where's Bent Toddley when you need him?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good grief.

What will digital archaeologists in the year 3018 make of this? 2013-2016, PotUS Tweets caring, considerate, show policy successes; 2017-, taken over by faulty AI program???

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Smart money is on porn. Also explains why he wants to strip the bed himself.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Good grief.

What will digital archaeologists in the year 3018 make of this? 2013-2016, PotUS Tweets caring, considerate, show policy successes; 2017-, taken over by faulty AI program???

You are an optimist. The odds, under this, um, leadership of the human race surviving the next 6 months (never mind an entire century) seem to me to be shrinking daily.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Today, driving to get my hair cut, it occurred to me that the book Fire & Fury would make a stupendous opera. The Donald would of course be sung by a bass. Baritones could sing the roles of Steve Bannon and Mitch McConnell. The mournful Melania a soprano, of course, as should Ivanka also, and the miserable Sarah Sanders an alto. Jared and Donald Jr. can be tenors.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DT sounds more like a counter-tenor to me. Castrato if you can find one.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And the role of Mike Pence is played by a Labrador retriever.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
DT sounds more like a counter-tenor to me. Castrato if you can find one.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
And the role of Mike Pence is played by a Labrador retriever.

[Confused]

Labrador retrievers are lovely dogs; they're sweet and affectionate and wonderful companions. How could you possibly compare the odious Pence to one of them? [Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
But it’s a good reminder that, no matter how bad it gets, we’re still going to need massive turnout in the next two elections to stop it. My wife was a volunteer in the first Obama campaign, and tells stories about what they did to get the votes out. Rides, babysitting, pizza for anyone waiting in long lines to vote. The Clinton campaign didn’t organize like that, and it probably bit them in the ass. Don’t let poll numbers fool you. 2018 and 2020 are going to be all hands on deck elections if we want to beat Trump.

Hear hear. I don't think Australians are able to give money to campaigns, but I'd be prepared to bake a few pizzas. I also have some dirt on the Trump campaign if anyone is interested [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Labradors? But this would be an actor Lab, playing the role of a panting and adoring sycophant. The dog would of course have to sit, roll over, and sit up to beg whenever The Donald commanded, and spend the rest of the stage time wagging and cringing. You'd need a big pale dog, hence a Lab.

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
But it’s a good reminder that, no matter how bad it gets, we’re still going to need massive turnout in the next two elections to stop it. My wife was a volunteer in the first Obama campaign, and tells stories about what they did to get the votes out. Rides, babysitting, pizza for anyone waiting in long lines to vote. The Clinton campaign didn’t organize like that, and it probably bit them in the ass. Don’t let poll numbers fool you. 2018 and 2020 are going to be all hands on deck elections if we want to beat Trump.

Hear hear. I don't think Australians are able to give money to campaigns, but I'd be prepared to bake a few pizzas. I also have some dirt on the Trump campaign if anyone is interested [Smile]
Oh yes. We must all vote, in every election, forever. My husband and I have already calculated that when we move out of this state we won't switch our voting registrations for a while. (We will still own a house here, so that would be legal.) This is a purple state; they'll need our votes. We're moving to a navy-blue one, where our votes will have less impact.

You can't contribute to a given campaign, nor probably to the national party. But there are many advocacy organizations that would be happy to have your support. We joined the ACLU the day after Election Day.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Further to the "revelations" in the Wolff book:

Interesting discussion on the BBC News Channel last evening with various commentators and journalists. While all said that Wolff's journalistic credentials could best be described as mixed, in relation to the book Bronwen Maddox pointed out that not one of the named sources in the book has gone so far as to claim that they didn't express the sentiments attributed to them in the book. Of course, they also pointed out that many of the criticisms made by Wolff - narcisism, vanity, lack of intellectual curiousity, impatience, sexual impropriety, etc, etc, etc - were brought up during the 2016 campaign yet still millions of Americans voted for Trump.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why I'm impatiently awaiting my hard copy. Artistic licence there may be, but I'm reasonably sure it paints a fair picture of the environment that is (it is to be hoped) so exceptional as to go down in history. Trump's reaction literally demonstrates it's not far off the mark, too.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having read the first few chapters I'd say the following: The newspaper extracts were definitely the more sensationalist bits of the book - but the book itself isn't uniformly of this nature - and its strength lies in its portrayal of the overall level of dysfunction surrounding the current White House.

The personality described in the book has quite a lot of explanatory power when it comes to understanding the kinds of bombastic tweets/speeches we've seen emanating from Trump, and in that sense it has a ring of truth to it.

[ 07. January 2018, 13:09: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

So, does anyone think Trump would do well selling stuff in an Apple store?

--------------------
Human

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

He would do better to retire to Mar-A-Lago, and build a bloody wall around it.

With him behind the said wall.

And no gates.

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

An excellent Guardian comment -

“Fate may yet intervene: it's not hard to imagine Trump's infantile anger sending his blood pressure to levels normally seen only in deep-sea oil wells. Indeed, perhaps the media and late night comedy have a role to play in saving civilisation from nuclear holocaust by blowing up one of those arteries already neatly sapped and mined by MacDonalds?”

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ouch!

[Eek!]

Mind you, someone once said that death (in his case, beheading) was a sharp medicine, but a cure for all ills. Sir Walter Raleigh, perhaps?

Anyhow, although it ill behoves any of us (ITTWACW) to wish for anyone's demise, the Deus Ex Machina solution does sometimes do the trick.

IJ

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Martin, you might need to unpack that a little, as the evos say....

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, CIA Director Mike Pompeo went on TV this morning (a Fox station, of course) to say that Trump pays complete attention to CIA intelligence briefings, asks coherent questions, is unqualifiedly fit to be President, and any suggestion to the contrary is simply not worthy of comment let alone discussion.

Someone is seriously deluding either himself or the public or both here. I wonder who?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Martin, you might need to unpack that a little, as the evos say....

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

I think it's the number of days T has left in office. I wouldn't bet against it, myself.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, I see. Yes.

Hopefully, not that many.....

(I can't imagine the GOG living that long, let alone being 'president').

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By my calculation, Martin's figure assumes that the Orange One will be in power for two terms.

Heaven help us.
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Meanwhile, CIA Director Mike Pompeo went on TV this morning (a Fox station, of course) to say that Trump pays complete attention to CIA intelligence briefings, asks coherent questions, is unqualifiedly fit to be President ...

I thought the idea had been to put sentient beings in the upper echelons of Trump's administration to protect the world from his idiocy, but this bloke is clearly, as Miss Amanda said, just as deluded as his boss.

[Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have a friend, a senior editor at a major publisher in New York City. She says that Holt, not being fools, had lawyers go over every sentence in that book. Every sentence is backed up by notes or recordings. The lawyers looked at every note and listened to every recording.
For a controversial book this level of ass-coverage is merely standard procedure. It takes no especial foresight to predict that Crooked Don would want to sue. It is his first and favorite weapon, after namecalling.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016