homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 77)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
[QUOTE] [/romanlion has been using 'dims' for ages. Also 'Barry' for Barack Obama, Illary for Hilary Clinton. QUOTE]

I guess I haven’t paid any attention to his posts before.

[/qb//[]JULy 2005/huh? [

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh? Are you addressing me?

Anyway - I’m giving the SOTU a pass. Why ruin drinking by having that in the background?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An argument that Trump is the Anti-Christ, deceiving the elect and destroying the faith. The weakness in the evangelical heart that he is exploiting is racism; people who worship the White Jesus are easy prey.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He says he's the antiChrist, the best most stable genius antiChrist, got the biggest pitchfork, from the hottest, biggest, stink fingered shithole hell etc.

But he's really just an angry little boy who keeps pooping his pants, rolling into balls and throwing it around. If he had been in my boarding school he'd have been held down and made to eat it.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're mates with Hillary on Facefacts, she just sent out a massive post on the sexual harassment issue in 2008. It's a great read, not only on how to deal with these allegations but on how to be a good employer. The contrast with the State of the Union Clapfest, veering between bullying bluster and hackneyed platitudes, was stark.

I was wondering what was so offensive to me about Trump's praise for people in the audience, whereas those of other Presidents don't raise the same hackles. I think a fairly large part of it is that I just hate Trump, but I don't think that's all of it. Trump praises people in very standard-form ways. The actual words he uses could come off a Hallmark card. He doesn't convey a sense that he has met with the individuals, or is engaged with their story. He reads out the information and then gives his short and uniform catchphrase for the occasion.

The State of the Union address is broadcast live in Australia on free-to-air TV. The post-speech analysis was unfortunately delayed by a leak of classified Cabinet documents covering four Australian Governments, revealed today to have been found in some filing cabinets sold by a secondhand store.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
[/qb//[]JULy 2005/huh? [

Deliberately posting bad code and/or gibberish is a Commandment 1 offence. Don't engage in it.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LutheranChik

Your 'Huh?' is understandable. romanlion seems to have noted that you have been a member since July 2005. That gives you lots of opportunities to have seen his posts.

He also appears to be mocking your coding errors from the post where you quoted me. His post also makes it look as though you made those comments, instead of the obvious truth that you were quoting me.

I won't say any more, obviously, since the Hostly ruling does not need to be made twice. In any case, as a participant in this thread, I should not rule. But I think I can give you a translation of what appears to be going on.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host.

[ 31. January 2018, 06:47: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Stormy Daniels:

Late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel had her as a guest tonight. It started out ok. She interviews pretty well, and seems pretty smart. Jimmy tried to tease and prod her into talking about Trump. She dodged most of it. After a break, JK tried harder and much more bluntly. As in trying to get her to specify size (let the reader understand [Eek!] ) by way of sample carrots. [Roll Eyes] She would only play along so far.

(I probably shouldn't say this, but she's built like Dolly Parton used to be. DP had back problems from that, and had to have reduction surgery. Stormy most likely has or will have back problems.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An effective, well crafted, SOTU speech. Obviously partisan, setting out the stall for the mid term elections. And he stuck to the script.

Better on domestic policy than foreign affairs.

The 'bipartisan' appeals were pretty disingenuous. But quite cleverly done.

It will be interesting to see the impact on his approval ratings. I should think they will improve.

Joe Kennedy's response on behalf of the Democrats was effective, too, and a direct appeal to the young and the marginalised.

The mid term election campaigns are up and running.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did T use teleprompters? I didn't see any.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

I saw them. He couldn't have delivered that without them.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas62 said (in polite and measured tones):
quote:
An effective, well crafted, SOTU speech. Obviously partisan, setting out the stall for the mid term elections. And he stuck to the script.

Better on domestic policy than foreign affairs.

The 'bipartisan' appeals were pretty disingenuous. But quite cleverly done.

It will be interesting to see the impact on his approval ratings. I should think they will improve.

Joe Kennedy's response on behalf of the Democrats was effective, too, and a direct appeal to the young and the marginalised.

The mid term election campaigns are up and running.

May I be forgiven for wondering whether Barnabas is being ever-so-slightly ironic?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barnabas--

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I saw them. He couldn't have delivered that without them.

Thanks. I figured that, too. If no teleprompters, options would've been some kind of medication (which I think caused the differences in Dubya); or someone speaking the speech into something that broadcasts to an ear piece, and T repeating it verbatim.

Or "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", or he joined the Borg, or...

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GK, I think you are being wildly overoptimistic (if that's the right word) about Trump's alleged mental health deficiencies.

Yes, the Democrat echo-chamber is awash with people pointing to dementia-type symptoms, Trump's alleged inability to read, and so on. The prospect of Trump being able to pass off repeating something spoken into an earpiece word for word (have you ever tried actually doing that?) for a major speech illustrates the levels of fantasy being engaged in here to try and nurture that delusion.

My view, informed by Fire and Fury, is still that Trump's behaviour is down to extreme narcissism and animal cunning. It's not that he can't read; it's just that he won't, unless he judges it to be critically in his interest - as here. If it isn't, as with normal social graces, he simply won't bother.

What differentiates him from most other politicans is not diminished mental abilities but a chronic disinclination to keep up appearances for appearance's sake.

Stop dreaming about invoking the 25th amendment.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Bishop's Finger

There is always a certain irony when commenting on Trump speeches, because of his inconsistencies. It was a showman doing a pretty effective selling job. He may tweet it off the headlines with some other nonsense. But credit where credit is due. It was an effective speech making good use of the invited guests, some of whose stories were profoundly moving.

It was also a divisive speech so far as bipartisan agreement goes. But I doubt whether either he or the GOP are bothered about that. They just want to wrong-foot the Democrats.

I'm sure also that it didn't always pass the truth test. Those who observed that the trip around the world spotted the lack of reference to Russia as a serious omission, but given the current state of affairs with Mueller, that was hardly a surprise.

'Trump first' obviously involves him in shoring up his own support base. In 2018 he also has to give the GOP something to unite behind. In those terms it was an effective speech.

[ 31. January 2018, 12:43: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as I said, a concise and fair summary in polite and measured tones, so thank you for that.

Points all duly noted, of course, but one can only hope, for the sake of the world at large, that things improve from here on in... [Ultra confused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't watch, but peeked at the speech when someone be told me he was clapping for himself throughout. Reminded me of my niece when she was just learning to talk. She'd say a word, we'd clap, and she would clap too.

ETA: didn't avoid the speech just because of Trump. I didn't want to have to stare at the face of that tool, Mike Pence, for an hour.

sabine

[ 31. January 2018, 14:02: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I'm afraid I've eschewed looking at the BBC News page today, simply to avoid having to see Orange McGobshite grinning all over his horrible visage, as though he'd done something wonderful.

If (and I don't advise this) you look into his eyes, there's nothing behind them..... [Paranoid]

How long, O Lord, how long....??

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember that the SOTU (and all major speeches) are not written by the president. He has a team to pen them, and all he has to do is read them aloud from the teleprompter that he so loudly denigrated his betters for using. The address had better sound cogent and intelligent -- that's what the speechwriters are paid to deliver. To see the real pussygrabber's colors you have to look at his unfiltered tweets, which surely (either today or tomorrow at the latest) will blatantly undercut all the clement things that were said today.

A free link, Frank Schaeffer of all people denounces Lyin' Don and his supporters.

From the POST, a roundup of all the untruths in the speech.

[ 31. January 2018, 15:12: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Remember that the SOTU (and all major speeches) are not written by the president. He has a team to pen them, and all he has to do is read them aloud from the teleprompter that he so loudly denigrated his betters for using. The address had better sound cogent and intelligent -- that's what the speechwriters are paid to deliver.

Sometimes he goes off script. For instance, this bit:

quote:
Last month, I also took an action endorsed unanimously by the Senate just months before: I recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Shortly afterwards, dozens of countries voted in the United Nations General Assembly against America's sovereign right to make this recognition. In 2016, American taxpayers generously sent those same countries more than $20 billion in aid.

That is why, tonight, I am asking Congress to pass legislation to help ensure American foreign assistance dollars always serve American interests and only go to friends of America, not enemies of America.

The bit I've put in bold there was not in the as-written transcript of the speech. Just so you know, Donald Trump considers most countries of the world (and most members of NATO) to be "enemies of America".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Which, I submit, is an indication of conscious trolling, not demential bafflegab (which seems to be the latest Ship word).

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congressman Luis Gutiérrez makes a fairly obvious, though still funny, dig at Trump's SOTU address.

quote:
Even though I disagreed with almost everything he said, for Trump, the speech was clear and well-delivered. Whoever translated it for him from Russian did a good job.

[ 31. January 2018, 16:00: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O if only some kindly Gremlin had suddenly transposed the teleprompter text into the Cyrillic alphabet!

[Devil]

Point taken, though, that the Tangerine Lord Of Tweets (or should that be Twits?) had it all written for him by reasonably articulate people.

IJ

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

For my part, I've no doubt of that. My point is that speechwriting ability, or lack of it, is no reliable indicator of Trump's mental alertness in any case. Trump not writing his own speeches is neither exceptional nor indicative of anything much.

Moreover, despite many wild hopes to the contrary, the exercise proves (again) that Trump is functionally literate enough to read a teleprompter and do so plausibly.

[I can write posts. I just edit them relentlessly]

[ 31. January 2018, 16:32: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the sad state we live in. The standard has sunk so low that when the monkey doesn't fling its own shit, we praise it.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

You mean when he delivers a speech that he didn't write? That's hardly unusual, even if it is a bit of a depressing thought.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Congressman Luis Gutiérrez makes a fairly obvious, though still funny, dig at Trump's SOTU address.

quote:
Even though I disagreed with almost everything he said, for Trump, the speech was clear and well-delivered. Whoever translated it for him from Russian did a good job.

[Killing me] Ho yes! That's very funny!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
You mean when he delivers a speech that he didn't write? That's hardly unusual, even if it is a bit of a depressing thought.

Because he delivered a speech that was full of lies, partial truths, was misleading as fuck and doesn't represent the good of most Americans and he gets praise because it was spoken more politely than typical. And that whilst looking suspiciously reminiscent of Mussolini.
Il Douchey

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I personally am not praising him. I'm just saying it belies the myth that he's going anywhere anytime soon on the basis of being too far gone to read a speech, or functionally illiterate. Know your enemy.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

My post was not a response directly to anyone, but to all referring his speech was anything more than the same bullshit he has always been about.
The monkey politely handed everyone the same shit he previously threw and will throw again.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I personally am not praising him. I'm just saying it belies the myth that he's going anywhere anytime soon on the basis of being too far gone to read a speech, or functionally illiterate. Know your enemy.

A interesting side note about Trump's reading ability:

quote:
Generally, these texts are printed on official stationery and they are presented essentially as a document in conventional prose. Instead, for reasons known only to god, what we [reporters] were handed were copies of the speech as the president* would read it from the podium. Words and phrases he was supposed to emphasize were written in all caps, not unlike what you’d see in the angry part of a Tweet. For example:

quote:
“As I promised the American People from this podium 11 months ago, we enacted the BIGGEST TAX CUTS AND REFORMS IN AMERICAN HISTORY.”
This curious happenstance enabled us to watch in real time as the president* utterly botched the stagecraft of his address. He blew through most of the capitalized points of emphasis, only occasionally leaning into them the way he was supposed to. So, even on its most basic level, the speech was completely unbalanced in what it chose to emphasize.
So while the speech verified Trump's ability to read words aloud at more-or-less speaking speed, he is unable (or perhaps simply unwilling) to coordinate his speech with stage directions. This is, admittedly, a different (though related) skill set than basic literacy, but it's not exactly rocket science either.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Fascinating insight. I still think the speech worked well for both his core base and the GOP.

But the research also gives some further information in support of the loose cannon thesis.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Perhaps it is a manifestation of a problem all staffers agree that he has: he is highly unwilling to take direction. Even so far as the emphasis in a speech (which he has approved in advance and surely agrees should be delivered as effectively as possible) he cannot comply with. Even when it's clearly in his own interest, he cannot obey.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

CBS poll

The breakdown is interesting. The speech did nothing about the now chronic polarisation in the US, but it has played very well with Republicans.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
CBS poll

The breakdown is interesting. The speech did nothing about the now chronic polarisation in the US, but it has played very well with Republicans.

It's also interesting that the numbers are so different from CNN's instant poll, which found Trump's had the lowest approval of any State of the Union Address going back to 1998. (1998 was when CNN started doing this poll.)

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
while the speech verified Trump's ability to read words aloud at more-or-less speaking speed, he is unable (or perhaps simply unwilling) to coordinate his speech with stage directions.

My money is still very much on unwilling; although given time I think this can morph into unable.

To my mind he decided it was expedient on this occasion to stick (more or less) to the script, but I can well imagine him still wanting to have his way with it and not follow pointers.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

@ Croesos

If you look at the full poll results for CNN and add very positive and somewhat positive, the results aren't a lot different.

In 2014 Obama scored 44% very positive, 32% somewhat positive. In 2007 Bush scored 41% very positive, 37% somewhat positive. Trump's combo of very positive plus somewhat positive is 70%. It is the lowest combo, but not by much.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, even though both houses practically voted unanimously to sanction Russia for interfering with the election, Trump says he would impose those sanctions. Why? Because the Russian military industry is suffering in foreign sales.

I wonder what would have happened if Obama refused to impose such sanctions?

Or what would happen if the British PM refused to impose similar sanctions if they have been voted on in Parliment?

And the Republicans are giving him a pass???

In other news, over 30 Republican congresspeople have now announced their retirement this year.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Has Devin Nunes lost his mind?

Are there no limits to the duplicitous steps this GOP water boy for the White House will take?

This undermining of Mueller shows all too clearly the level of fear of censure by the Special Prosecutor.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

It might well work though.

If the whole investigation can be discredited as partisan, its relevance will disappear amidst a cacophony of across-the-aisle shouting.

Trump was so right that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and his supporters wouldn't care. They can drown the signal with noise.

[ 01. February 2018, 08:59: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

So due legal and political processes are simply cast aside to protect a sitting President from an investigation? Separation of powers is being damaged by this.

Doesn't anyone in the GOP care any more about this vital aspect of the US Constitution? I thought the majority were strict constitutionalists. But only when it suits their book, apparently.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I don't think the GOP care about it at all as long as they can get their legislation pushed through, and at the rate they are going(*), they will be in power for a long time. They fight dirty.

*Gerrymandering, SCOTUS appointments, media manipulation, etc.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has Devin Nunes lost his mind?

Are there no limits to the duplicitous steps this GOP water boy for the White House will take?

If, as it now appears is the case, the FBI used debunked, unverified opo-research to obtain a FISA warrant to run surveillance on the Trump campaign, Americans should know it.

That is more horrifying than any potential damage to the Obama DOJ, personal objections to Trump completely aside.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Do you really believe that is a correct, balanced, view of what is going on here? The FBI have to honour FISA. The DOJ and the FIS court, operating in accordance with National Security, vet, present, consider approval. The process has checks. It is not an FBI rubber stamp.

It is now pretty clear that the Nunes staff were in consultation with the White House over the Nunes memo in advance of the decision to send a copy. It is also clear that the Democratic desire to present a memo was blocked by those who agreed to send the Nunes memo.

I appreciate this is a view from across the pond. I may be missing stuff. IMO there are things to be horrified about here. But your eyes are on the wrong target. The fix is in, for sure, but the White House is doing the fixing with the connivance of water boy Nunes and GOP members of the House Intel Committee. That's the way it looks here.

F.I.S.A.

The Nunes memo explained.

[ 01. February 2018, 11:18: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It's particularly risible because it was Comey and the FBI whose judicious release of material essentially trashed Hillary Clinton's campaign. Even the pussygrabber thanked the FBI for their contribution to his election. Only now, when it's him in the cross hairs, are they discovered to be partisan and wicked. The only definition of good for this crew is 'good for me.' There are no other moral standards. There is the further expectation by Crooked Don that the justice department are his guys -- their job is to protect and foster him. The notion of 'justice' as an abstract value is alien to him.

This is from the POST, a summary of the state of play as of this morning. Don't click if you don't want to; tomorrow morning, new plan.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
If, as it now appears is the case, the FBI used debunked, unverified opo-research to obtain a FISA warrant to run surveillance on the Trump campaign, Americans should know it.

That is more horrifying than any potential damage to the Obama DOJ, personal objections to Trump completely aside.

It's even more horrifying when you really stop to think about it. Carter Page has apparently been under FISA warrant as early as 2013, two years before Donald Trump announced his candidacy, or hired Carter Page, or had anyone doing "opo-research" on him or his aides. The only thing we can conclude is that the FBI has access to time travel technology and was able to send this "opo-research" to itself from the future as a warning, to prevent the horrors to come. Just think about how bad the dystopian hellscape barreling towards us must be for the FBI to take this drastic step, given that they didn't do so for 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, or any of the mass shootings the U.S. seems perennially subject to. I'm picturing something like the Skynet apocalypse crossed with Hieronymous Bosch.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

And still the Orange Lord of Modern Mordor grins, and grins, and grins.....whilst the Orcs undermine the foundations of his pale black Tower.

[Devil]

IJ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Well, it's either a desperate warning out of time from a dystopian future where the living envy the dead, or the FBI has other sources than the Steele dossier. One of those is crazy notion. Which one of those is the crazy notion depends on whether your chief window on the world is Fox News.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

But, if the FBI has somehow, amidst the horrors to come, tried to warn us of them, then surely those horrors are indeed still to come?

[Paranoid]

I guess I might be missing something here, though.

What time-scale are we contemplating? The medics say I have 5+ years, so with any luck, I'll be Promoted to Glory before the worst happens...

IJ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
But, if the FBI has somehow, amidst the horrors to come, tried to warn us of them, then surely those horrors are indeed still to come?

[Paranoid]

I guess I might be missing something here, though.

What time-scale are we contemplating? The medics say I have 5+ years, so with any luck, I'll be Promoted to Glory before the worst happens...

IJ

If, as romanlion suggested, the target date for the warning was sometime in 2013 there's every possibility that the window for meaningful action has already closed. If that's the case I can only guess that the warning has failed and Carter Page and/or Donald Trump has done whatever it was that inevitably led to disaster sometime in the past five years.

Or maybe it's one of those self-fulfilling prophecies, where the disaster only happens because the warning from the future was sent. After all, the current U.S. administration seems to be getting all ruffled about this so maybe the actions taken by the FBI in response to the warning are what goad the relevant actors into precipitating the apocalypse.

[ 01. February 2018, 14:45: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016