homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 83)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the PG has certainly made it clear what he thinks of Haiti.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LVER wrote

quote:
IME it's seen as an entertaining spectacle for those who can be bothered to get up on a public holiday for it.
Reading through, this reminded me of an Onion headline that's too good not to derail the thread to share:

quote:
What will you be doing on Martin Luther King day?

62% said - Letting Freedom Ring (in lieu of alarm clock)

[ 11. February 2018, 21:31: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Now I'm wondering what happened to them when Mom sold the house and moved. Where are they now?

They're BEHIND you!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Now I'm wondering what happened to them when Mom sold the house and moved. Where are they now?

They're BEHIND you!
Aaaaauuuggghhh!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos of nothing in particular BBC News speculates on what General Grabber The Great might do, and where he might go, in the event of nuclear war.

Please feel free to make additional useful, and edifying, suggestions.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10149 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Atlantic, an analyst argues that the problem with Lyin' Don's crew isn't disorganization. It's, yes, the lying.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't fail to be moved by this clip of the Obamas.

Partisan politics aside, isn't it incredible that hearing a President and First Lady talk like this is such a hard thing to imagine ever having happened, scarcely a year after it was the norm?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

How much sensible Americans must miss the sheer charm and grace of these two....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10149 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My excuse must be that fantasy is my business. But I had the greatest notion yesterday! It was that Obama runs again in 2020. Alas, I fear he is too intelligent to step into the mess once again.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that a president can serve three terms even if they are not consecutive.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 22nd Amendment limits presidents to two terms. The only (wildly unlikely) loophole is that if VP X inherits the job from Pres. Y and less than 2 years are left of Y's term, X would be eligible for 2 terms of his or her own.

Lyndon Johnson might have run for a second full term and thus might have had well over 9 years in office, but he chose not to attempt this.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if presidents were allowed non-consecutive additional terms, why on earth would Obama want:

A. to clean up the horrendous mess this administration, aided by Congressional hench-thugs, is making of this republic and the world order (and which may be smoldering in cinders well before we ever get to 2020)?

B. to subject himself, his wife, and their children to even more of the appalling racist abuse they endured while he was in office (and in fact continue to endure as the Loud Proud Orange Sub-Universe keeps spouting about them)?

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

From the Post, where the president's budget is, there his heart is also. Hint: it's not anywhere near the people who voted for him.

This is a free click: the farm market stand near me takes a stand. They're not open now (no local vegetables in February) but when they open in the spring I'll have to go down and spend money.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dog's breakfast which is the White House handling of Rob Porter's clearance and leaving now enters its second week, with Sarah Sanders on at least her third version of who knew what when.

FBI Director Wray provided succinct testimony about the timing of reports to the White House about Rob Porter. Given Porter's senior position, it is not credible that these reports were sent routinely to low level officials in the White House who then just sat on them without either Counsel to the President or Chief of Staff knowing about it.

Sarah Sanders has been hung out to dry.

[ 14. February 2018, 03:00: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. When the preacher's daughter goes voluntarily to work for the anti-Christ, I think it's fair to say she hung herself out to dry.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahhh,

Mike Huckabee was a seminary drop out after only one year in a Baptist seminary. He only pastored 12 years The rest of the time he has been a political hack, well known for his extremist views.

It is no surprise Sarah Huckabee can work for the orange one. She is just as extreme as her father and Trump needs her to please the evangelical crowd.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I don't have much sympathy with Sarah Sanders in general. On this issue, Wray's testimony made it clear that those she was expected to defend publicly had misled her about the exchanges with the FBI. She was forced to resort to the last line of defence. 'I always report faithfully what I'm told it's true'.

Anyway, I'm thinking now that she'll outlast Kelly. If she wants to, that is.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

And in an even more blatant example of being economic with the actuality, what a generous lawyer!

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I daresay that almost no-one in America knows that the Australian Prime Minister, Mr Turnbull, will be in Washington next week making an official visit, including a formal reception by Mr Trump, where they will no doubt hail each other as great allies in the fight against ISIS, (not to mention against refugees and the poor).

Unless things change rapidly in Australia, that will leave us with the Bonking Beetroot, Barnyard Joyce, as Acting Prime Minister.

This is a national disgrace, as Barnyard is in many ways like Trump, being much given to lunatic thought bubbles masquerading as policy, and is "Deputy Prime Minister" only because he leads the minority party in the ruling Coalition. In the last week or two he is in deep trouble because he has got one of his staff pregnant and has now left his wife and 4 daughters to live with her - a position that sits rather hypocritically with his very public standing for "Christian values", and the "sanctity of marriage" as part of his opposition to Same-sex marriage. Hence his latest nick-name.

It might have been better for Turnbull to stay at home, and send Barnyard to Washington to meet the Groper in Chief, as they could compare notes on how to move from one wife to a new mistress, while putting her on the public payroll and professing "Christian values". But one fears that the idiotic ideas that they might spawn together could start a new war in the Pacific.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

I suppose it is the sheer bare-faced cheek of it that really gets my goat. Completely shameless; believing, not without good cause, that any explanation will do for the loyal support base.

An ex-colleague of Kelly, interviewed on CNN, observed with some sorrow that the officer he knew would never have got up to supporting these ridiculous charades. Thought the Trump White House must be a corrupting environment. Mind you, getting bent out of shape by trying to serve an uncorrectable boss with a very bad temper is not exactly new.

[ 14. February 2018, 09:50: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
And in an even more blatant example of being economic with the actuality, what a generous lawyer!

I think we should all write to this person and ask if we too can have $130,000 for no especial reason.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh I don't have much sympathy with Sarah Sanders in general. On this issue, Wray's testimony made it clear that those she was expected to defend publicly had misled her about the exchanges with the FBI. She was forced to resort to the last line of defence. 'I always report faithfully what I'm told it's true'.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders is a professional liar. It's part of the job description as the official spokeswoman for the Trump White House. (See also Scaramucci, Anthony and Spicer, Sean.) What amazes me is that she's so incredibly bad at it. Wray's testimony before Congress was on the calendar and known in advance. As soon as Sarah Huck came out with "the FBI never gave us the final report on Porter's security clearance background check" it was inevitable that someone in Congress was going to ask Wray about this. Someone who was a competent liar would realize this and come up with something that wouldn't be immediately contradicted in the full media glare of Congressional testimony.

quote:

I note that Mr. Cohen takes the trouble to specify that he wasn't reimbursed by "the Trump Organization" or "the Trump Campaign", but doesn't say anything about whether he was reimbursed by Donald Trump himself.

Admittedly I'm no expert on this, but couldn't hush money to a former mistress be intended to influence the outcome of the election and hence be a "thing of value"? That might be problematic, since I doubt it was reported to the FEC as an in-kind campaign contribution.

[ 14. February 2018, 14:55: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Oh, she's no C J Cregg!

But 5 will get you 10 that either Counsel to the President or Chief of Staff were pulling the strings on the story.

It's a bit reminiscent of Ron Ziegler. All previous statements are inoperative.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

In the midst of all the debates on immigration, with the PG being against "chain immigration" (among other things): The White House refuses to explain immigration status of First Lady Melania Trump’s parents.

(I especially enjoyed "in 2000, Ms Trump self-sponsored herself for a green card as a model of ‘extraordinary ability...’")

--------------------
~Tortuf

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(I especially enjoyed "in 2000, Ms Trump self-sponsored herself for a green card as a model of ‘extraordinary ability...’")

[Big Grin]

There are three broad categories through which one may acquire permanent residence in the US - as a family member of an American; on the basis of your employment; or a collection of special-purpose reasons which includes the visa lottery, certain refugees, and so on.

Employment-based visa category EB-1 is the first preference tranche of employment visas. Within that category, demonstrating that you have "extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics" is the only way of qualifying for a green card without the offer of a permanent job in the US (well, apart from the EB-5 investor category.)

So "extraordinary" is a word that has a specific meaning in an immigration context, and there's a list of specific criteria that you have to satisfy to qualify.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Jared Kushner's eyepopping debts and why they are dangerous to us all. This is, remember, the guy who doesn't have a security clearance but is still reading the Daily Briefing Book and (one must assume) passing on the tidbits to his father-in-law who cannot focus long enough to peruse it. Alas, this is from the Post.

Trump's pbstriction of justice far worse than Nixon's. This is from the Chicago Trib and so is a free click.

And there are too many memes now to link to, suggesting that if they are handing out money to people for not having had sex with Donald Trump then we all should get in line for the freebie. I could certainly use an extra $130K in my life, and I have not, and will never have, sex with him.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I’ve seen, she had an extraordinary ability to model very few articles of clothing at a time.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Because it's Valentine's Day, someone on Facebook has posted [URL= https://www.facebook.com/costa.delsol.77312/posts/736694476533255?pnref=story]political valentines.[/URL]

And this is from the POST but it's a hoot: Democratic parents donate the maximum to their son's opponent. The son is a first-time GOP candidate for office. Bet Easter dinner this year is going to be tense!

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a few clients that I liked very much. Springing for hush money out of the goodness of my heart is not something I would do for even the dearest of them. This is such a B.S. cover story, I don't see how they ever thought it would pass the smell test. (Then again, I've seen plenty of screwy things people have tried, and they probably would have gotten away with them, but for the bankruptcy filing / IRS audit / (in Trump's case) F.E.C. audit.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Jared Kushner's eyepopping debts and why they are dangerous to us all. This is, remember, the guy who doesn't have a security clearance but is still reading the Daily Briefing Book and (one must assume) passing on the tidbits to his father-in-law who cannot focus long enough to peruse it.

Doesn't have a permanent security clearance. He's operating on a temporary clearance like the one Rob Porter has. (Used to have?) The fact that such a high level advisor's security clearance is apparently still hanging fire is just as suspicious in Kushner's case as it was in Porter's. Kushner is probably not a wife beater, but there's got to be something in his background that makes career bureaucrats shy away from putting their signatures on a document saying he can be trusted with state secrets. A large amount of debt is one of the most common red flags in background checks, but Russiamnesia* is also something that can count against a person seeking a security clearance.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I've had a few clients that I liked very much. Springing for hush money out of the goodness of my heart is not something I would do for even the dearest of them. This is such a B.S. cover story, I don't see how they ever thought it would pass the smell test.

It doesn't have to pass "the smell test", it just has to pass the "cannot be proven to be false beyond a reasonable doubt" test.

--------------------
*A chronic inability to remember meetings or discussions with Russians, particularly (but not exclusively) representatives of the Russian government. Given how common this affliction is among high level Trump associates it's possible this condition is contagious.

[ 14. February 2018, 19:26: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The inimitable Charles Pierce makes a quick tour of all the corruptions ans thefts of the past day or so perpetrated by the kleptograts surrounding Crooked Don. This should be a free click.

Also free from Salon and very powerful, the importance of photographs for this White House.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
I daresay that almost no-one in America knows that the Australian Prime Minister, Mr Turnbull, will be in Washington next week making an official visit, including a formal reception by Mr Trump, where they will no doubt hail each other as great allies in the fight against ISIS, (not to mention against refugees and the poor).

Unless things change rapidly in Australia, that will leave us with the Bonking Beetroot, Barnyard Joyce, as Acting Prime Minister.

It seems that there's been a change of plans.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump blames the other students for the florida shooting:
quote:
So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!
Oh Yes, Mr. Trump, lets outlaw kids who show signs of disturbance when their mother dies. Let's take the badly behaved high-school kids straight from detention to prison. Then lets start a national panic of paranoia to rival the communism fear of the McCarthy era, with everyone reporting every sign of non-conformity to the police and other people getting in trouble for failing to tattle. Anything, anything at all before blaming guns.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You forget the basic rule. It's never Crooked Don's fault. Under any circumstance, any condition, whatever happens, it's always someone else to blame. He is always, forever, the victim and angry about it. The buck -never- stops here.

He plans to address the nation today. I am certain it will be as moving, as cogent, as everything else he says.

The Atlantic has a couple good articles today. This one, on the importance of the president's words, should be read by people who deal with words. The Moses effect -- the ability to plant a stick in the ground and instantly divide the populace to either side -- wow, good analogy!

And,Conor Friedersdorf helpfully calls Lyin' Don out on his inaugural speech promise that all carnage would stop now. "Had Trump had a plan, had he attempted an innovative solution and failed, that would be forgivable—but he never had any viable strategy for keeping his promises." Those who believed him were, as always, suckers.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Trump blames the other students for the florida shooting:
quote:
So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!
Oh Yes, Mr. Trump, lets outlaw kids who show signs of disturbance when their mother dies. Let's take the badly behaved high-school kids straight from detention to prison. Then lets start a national panic of paranoia to rival the communism fear of the McCarthy era, with everyone reporting every sign of non-conformity to the police and other people getting in trouble for failing to tattle. Anything, anything at all before blaming guns.
This.

Remembering Obama's response to Sandy Hook. This is heartbreaking.

It will be.a miracle if the parent of a dead child doesn't end up punching the president in the nose this week. I wonder if the secret service will intervene?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Just out of interest, I took a peek at Obama's speech after Sandy Hook.

[Overused] [Tear]

I doubt if Leader Lonald Lump's wafflings will be anything like as measured, gracious, and heartfelt.

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sorry to double-post, but the thought occurs - if we send our 'thoughts and prayers' to the Great Orange Wen before he gets punched on the presidential proboscis, do you think they might soften the blow?

[Mad]

Hopefully, not.

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is superb: a simple action that every American can take that will absolutely reduce gun violence. To save you a POST click I'll reveal Waldman's one-sentence advice: Don't vote for Republicans. The rest of the column is devoted simply to the overwhelming evidence supporting his thesis. I wish that every citizen could see this.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
... To save you a POST click I'll reveal Waldman's one-sentence advice: Don't vote for Republicans....

I've been following that advice since I became eligible to vote in 1972 (the year they lowered the voting age). Hasn't done much good so far...

--------------------
~Tortuf

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too Pigwidgeon, but maybe we can start shaming the people who vote Republican a little more and prodding our Democrats more.

From Brenda's link:
quote:
But isn’t the NRA the real problem? No. The NRA is made up of loathsome ghouls, but it’s also an interest group like any other. Doing its bidding is a choice. Whatever power the NRA has flows through elected officials, nearly all of whom are Republicans who have made a choice to ally themselves with the organization.
Today, one of the newscasters, Stephanie Ruhle, had a long list of Republicans next to the huge amount of money the NRA gave to their campaigns. Trump got 21 million.

[ 15. February 2018, 19:20: Message edited by: Twilight ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I think it's over on the Gun group in Hell that I posted the link to an article that lists all the big recipients of NRA money in Congress. Also, TV host Jimmy Kimmel is posting their 'thoughts and prayers' statements, followed by the dollar amount each congressperson accepted from the NRA. Whited sephulchres, the lot of them.

This grim OpEd from the POST posits that our failure to keep children alive is the sigil of the failure of American democracy.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to see every Congressperson sign a pledge that henceforth they will accept no money from the NRA.

I'd also like to see pigs fly.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I would like to see every Congressperson sign a pledge that henceforth they will accept no money from the NRA.

I'd also like to see pigs fly.

I would like to include the President in that (the refusal of donations, not the flying part), as well as all future candidates for President, Congress, and state legislators and governors.

--------------------
~Tortuf

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And really, it's up to us, Americans. We have to stop listening to the ridiculous fear-hyping claims of the NRA ("Obama is going to come for your guns!") and simply refuse to vote for any pol taking money from them.

I will say I was cheered earlier this week (before the tragedy in Florida) by news that gun manufacturer Remington filed for bankrupcy. This is the manufacturer who made the guns used in Sandy Hook. But apparently that isn't what did them in. No, it was the NRA's own over-hyped fear-mongering: after 8 years of those breathless claims that Obama was going to "take your guns" (despite all evidence to the contrary) the election of Trump gave them no room for fear-hyping, causing gun sales to precipitously drop in the last year.

I know we're supposed to "pray for the peace and prosperity of the city" and I'm sure there's minimum wage workers somewhere who will be hurt by this. But I can't help myself from dancing with glee on their grave and hoping that every other gun manufacturer is similarly driven into the ground by their own sociopathic, greedy, disregard for human life. I don't wish them dead, but I won't cry if they're on the street corner begging for pennies either.

Not my finest Christian moment, but the most honest...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see the NRA declared a terrorist organization and disbanded, but that isn't going to happen.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The NRA is a lobbying and trade association. Where does it get its money? It is not from the tooth fairy. It is given to them: by its members in the form of yearly membership dues, and also by donors like the Russians. Many Americans give them money, and it is this money, millions and millions of dollars, that they use to corrupt congresspersons.

It is possible to imagine legislation that would keep malign foreign actors from funneling money into the NRA. (Not under this administration, of course. Did you see the recent meme? The caption was "Hillary Clinton palling around with a Russian Agent!!" The photograph was from the presidential debates, when she was shaking hands with Lyin' Don.) But the root of the issue is the NRA's membership. Banning them won't help, if enough Americans believe that the solution to all problems is more guns. The battleground is narrow: the human heart and mind.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Actually the NRA ceased getting very much of their funding from member dues long ago. As you noted, they are a lobbying group-- for gun & ammo manufacturers, not gun owners. (Not withstanding possible Russian money laundering). That's a key distinction in the change of tenor in the organization

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A 17 year old boy from the school cadet force was on the radio this morning arguing that if the security guard had been armed, if there were guns in the school, then the death toll would have been less.
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
A 17 year old boy from the school cadet force was on the radio this morning arguing that if the security guard had been armed, if there were guns in the school, then the death toll would have been less.

Not sure about the specifics of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, but having armed guards present already seems to be standard practice in Broward County public schools.

quote:
Schools in the Broward district typically have one or two school resource officers, typically Broward County Sheriff deputies who are armed and always on campus. Schools also employ campus monitors, who patrol the halls with walkie talkies but are not armed, and a security specialist, usually a retired sheriff’s department employee who helps the school plan and maintain its security protocols but is not armed.
Maybe Cadet Shootemup meant that there should be a ratio of armed guards to students similar to what you find in American prisons? I'm sure that won't send any unintended messages or distract from learning. [Roll Eyes]

[ 16. February 2018, 13:52: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, that's what they teach them in the pseudo-military 'cadet force', presumably. Good guys with guns, a-learning how to 'protect'....

Meanwhile, the world looks on, and gapes in wonder at the dystopia that America seems to be sliding towards....

[Disappointed]

Is there now any other country that takes America and its so-called government seriously?

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016