homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 84)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is merely following in the footsteps of his doltish elders: FL legislators move to relax background checks for gun purchases. this was =today='s headline.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There.

Are.

No.

Words.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Well, that's what they teach them in the pseudo-military 'cadet force', presumably. Good guys with guns, a-learning how to 'protect'....

Meanwhile, the world looks on, and gapes in wonder at the dystopia that America seems to be sliding towards....

[Disappointed]

Is there now any other country that takes America and its so-called government seriously?

IJ

Indeed. The next season of "The Handmaid's Tale" may well be overtaken by events.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think this is a hoax: but apparently a book is to be released called "The Faith of Donald J Trump - a spiritual biography".

Authors David Brody and Scott Lamb.

One assumes it is a very short book. Or possible The Onion's best ever spoof.

[ 16. February 2018, 14:08: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that's possibly true, but it'll consist of the title page, and nothing else.

Wasn't there a song which went something like this:

'I'll sing you a song of Spiro Agnew,
and all the great things he has done!'

That was the lot. Silence followed.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For masocists, here is the preview on Google books

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
For masocists, here is the preview on Google books

Actually, I found this teaser fascinating. It looks like it could be a very insightful analysis of What Went Wrong-- for evangelicals as much as for Trump. The chapter titles alone were intriguing-- each would make a great Ship thread.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop's Finger, I think the rest of the world takes Trump's America very seriously indeed, just like any other deranged teenager running amok with a deadly firearm.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fair point, and a thoughtful answer to my somewhat rhetorical question.

Lord, have mercy on us all.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unhealthy Donald proposed a budget only last week which cuts the funding for school safety programs. You have to admit, the man's timing is pinpoint precise.

From this same publication New York Magazine, people did indeed report the Florida shooter, just as Crooked Don suggested yesterday. It did damn all.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Robert Mueller unsealed another indictment just now. The named parties are thirteen Russian individuals and three Russian organizations. The charges are:

• Conspiracy to Defraud the United States
  • Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud and Bank Fraud
  • Six different counts of identity theft

Not all charges apply to all defendants.

So this seems to be laying the groundwork for establishing how the Russians interfered with the 2016 presidential election, which is half of Mueller's remit. The other half is tracking down anyone in the Trump campaign or transition who may have been involved in that. This seems pretty big. At the very least it makes it very difficult to fire Mueller.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, that last count should be Aggravated Identity Theft. I'm not sure what the aggravating factors are, but it's a legally relevant term of art and I missed the edit window to change it.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
So this seems to be laying the groundwork for establishing how the Russians interfered with the 2016 presidential election, which is half of Mueller's remit. The other half is tracking down anyone in the Trump campaign or transition who may have been involved in that. This seems pretty big. At the very least it makes it very difficult to fire Mueller.

Conservative Twitter, on the other hand, is playing up the lack of any reference to collusion in the indictment as total vindication of Trump.

Others are asking when ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS who tweeted about Hilary are going to start getting locked up.

I hate Twitter, but it's always useful when you want to see how someone else can read the same thing you just did and come to a completely different conclusion... [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Speaking of Twitter, this thread from back in October by a law professor and former special counsel outlines the advantages of Mueller indicting a lot of Russians. This was written when it was known Mueller had issued an indictment but we didn't know that it was Gates and Manafort who had been indicted. The logic still seems to hold, though.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A major development.

Looks like the involvement of US nationals may get classified as 'unwitting', but the Trump assertion that stories of Russian interference were part of a hoax has been firmly refuted.

What happens next?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump moves into a silent, cloistered monastery in a country with no extradition treaty with the US?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't see him doing silence or celibacy. Anyway, he's tweeting 'vindicated'.

I did wonder if the wording was designed to encourage him to accept a request for interview.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Projectile] [Projectile]

If you are unaware of that to which I am referring, it's just the latest tweet that tries to appropriate the deaths of children to vindicate himself.

Sick.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Pretty sickmaking.

Unfortunately, all too typical.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Trump moves into a silent, cloistered monastery in a country with no extradition treaty with the US?

I'm currently enjoying schadenfreude with respect to Australian Politics, but this is just a wonderful idea GK.
[Killing me]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Is Lovely Leader Lump now asserting that the school shooting is the fault of the Russians?

[Eek!]

Vlad The Inhaler won't like that....

IJ

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Nope. The FBI, spending too much resource in investigating his alleged crookery, not enough on tracking school shooters. It's all about him, yet again.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a cogent analysis from the New Yorker: how creating a climate of fear is Crooked Don's deliberate policy. It is the tactic of tyrants.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read that Tangerine Tweetolini is now keen on ending federal funding for public libraries and dismantling both the National Endowment for the Humanities and the National Enfowment for the Arts. I personally don’t think he gives a shit about any of this, but is simply parroting the desires of the Republican neo -feudalists who are intent on de- educating the nation. [Mad]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

As I recall, that was in his 'budget.' It is fantasy fiction, don't worry about it. Congress already, with great agony, voted on a budget for two years.

Over at the Post Ruth Marcus calls it like it is: dereliction of duty. Sickly Donald is not fulfilling the duties of a president.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Sickly Donald

This is getting as tiresome as Illary, faster.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have been as good as gold. Have I ever mentioned his hair? Never, neither the dye job nor the hair plugs nor the toupee nor the combover. The words Mango and Orange have never passed my lips; not a bit of fatshaming has occurred even though there are ten thousand memes. Only using the denigrations that Crooked Don himself uses, on others. And don't think he hasn't stopped! The tweets are an endless resource. He was blaming Hillary only this morning. What he won't get, ever, is the use of his true name. He is as Voldemort to me. One must therefore use something to refer to him, and why not his own words?

In the meantime, a (free) cartoon about the duties he is not performing. He is clearly not going to defend us against the Russians. Putin must have some heavy-duty levers clamped around his personal organs.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What he won't get, ever, is the use of his true name. He is as Voldemort to me. One must therefore use something to refer to him, and why not his own words?

Because you are sinking to his level. Do you want to sound like romanlion?

Criticisms of Trump - and there is no shortage of material - will be all the more forceful if they are not couched in playground language.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
‘The current Republican administration’ would be an even better synonym, since it would remind everone that he is just the symptom, not the disease.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Criticisms of Trump - and there is no shortage of material - will be all the more forceful if they are not couched in playground language.

Except at this point the criticisms in this thread are mostly serving as therapy rather than discussion.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

In which case they should be in Hell.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Current Republican Orange Kleptos? Because that's not fake news they spew, its a crock of shit.

I'm not sure there's been many open complaints about Romanlion's language, Dims etc. I only remember LutheranChk recently. There may well have been covert complaints. Not my business, I guess. If our insults at Trump were themselves drawing complaints and therefore adding to the workload of admins, I'd certainly stop.

I suppose that if we who support reasonable and conservative political centrism don't object to the language of the children of a lesser god, we too can make up humerous anagrams and wordplays to lighten our loads. After all, many many people have died, and not just Americans, since Trump took office. Referring to him as Wings over the Desert when the wind strikes his hair and exposes the mottled pink and white bowling ball of his skull seems a little on the mild side.

At least there's the satisfaction of seeing the preening cock tied to the train tracks that is the inexorable course of the Mueller Investigation, with the findings of complicity and obstruction a nineteenth-century engine and caboose in the distance. Toot toot. See the strutting cock struggle against the inevitable prosecution, will Nunes save him? No. The treasonous cock and his incompetent flock will lie and cheat their way to prison, and our freedom.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since "trump" is slang in many English-speaking cultures for "wind passed especially noisily from the anus," I prefer "Fartletter-in-Chief." Certainly nothing that comes out of his mouth rises any higher than that.

As for romanlion, I don't engage him. In my mind he doesn't exist.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
In which case they should be in Hell.

I'm not claiming that 'is' implies 'ought'.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Since "trump" is slang in many English-speaking cultures for "wind passed especially noisily from the anus," I prefer "Fartletter-in-Chief." Certainly nothing that comes out of his mouth rises any higher than that.

Yes, writing trump without the capital = fart.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also prefer to refer to him as "the current occupant of the White House" rather than the President. He usurped the presidency as a result of what in the opinion of many was a fraudulent campaign and a deeply flawed electoral process. Again in the opinion of many, he is completely unqualified to hold the office. He has sullied and denigrated the office by his mere holding it. In my mind the White House is at present domus vacans (Latin for vacant house).

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

But it would displease you, I know, for me to refer to him as The Fart. It is not I who calls people (as Elderly Donald did only yesterday) "Li'l Adam" Schiff (the Democratic chair of the House Intelligence Committee). Words are a weapon, my weapon. And I mirror his back at him so that you are always reminded of his pettiness and toddler invective.

You need not use a POST click on this unless you like, because it's complete and you have heard it all before, but here is an exhaustive summary of all the lies tweeted on Sunday. It goes on for screen after screen. I am pleased that some journalist is laboriously tabulating and keeping track of the flood of untruths; it must be grim and unending work.

Nor do you want to read the dozens of tweets. But that there are so many, flailing out at everybody (including Hillary!), tells the tale. The man is terrified. He knows the FBI is getting close. But he can't defy his Russian handlers, probably for some even more awful reason. Dirty pictures? Nah, Stormy Daniels & co. have that covered. Follow the money, Mr. Mueller...

[ 19. February 2018, 14:58: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nor do you want to read the dozens of tweets. But that there are so many, flailing out at everybody (including Hillary!), tells the tale. The man is terrified. He knows the FBI is getting close. But he can't defy his Russian handlers, probably for some even more awful reason. Dirty pictures? Nah, Stormy Daniels & co. have that covered. Follow the money, Mr. Mueller...

That's my take as well. Photos of him romping with Russian whores? He'd just want copies to send out with his Christmas cards (which will NOT say "happy holidays", good Christian that he is).

No, my money is on evidence of illegal money laundering. Something that could get him some hard prison time.

Although perhaps all Putin needs to keep him in line is simply a list of all the Russians that have come to unfortunate untimely deaths on both Russian and American soil in the last year...

As much as I am sure that Trump is an incompetent (albeit useful from Putin's pot) fool, I am convinced that Putin is a sociopathic genius. And that is truly chilling.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O yes - t is all piss and wind. It's those pulling his strings who are to be feared, and Putin is of the highest calibre of fear-inducing wossname.

A very clever and far-seeing man.

IJ

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
But it would displease you, I know, for me to refer to him as The Fart.

Not in the least, my dear, not in the least.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
But it would displease you, I know, for me to refer to him as The Fart. (...) Words are a weapon, my weapon. And I mirror his back at him so that you are always reminded of his pettiness and toddler invective.

Well I for one don't need you to remind me.

Besides, doesn't it say something somewhere about (s)he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword?

You're not using your writing skills to fight him, you're borrowing his own weapons and in doing so allowing him to take the battle to a petty, pathetic theatre in which he excels and on which the media gorges, and away from common sense.

Name-calling suggests you have nothing better to throw; it's a last resort. If used systematically, as Trump does, it reflects a constant desire to belittle others.

I don't believe Trump needs belittling. He belittles himself plenty, albeit unwittingly. His misdeeds can be called for what they are, but he himself remains a person. As a defence lawyer in a notorious child-killing case here recently said of his client, he "remains a member of the human community".

To forget that is to forget one's own humanity. To deliberately waive it is to reject the role of the very institutions Trump is himself wrecking.

As a member of the human community Trump should certainly be held fully accountable, but at the end of the day, I believe he is ultimately to be pitied, a bit like Gollum. His end will be miserable. On one level I will breathe a sigh of relief, but on another I will try to retain at least a tiny quantum of pity.

Let rip in Hell all you like, that's fine and healthy, but if Purgatory cannot rise above this level, I think Trumpism has scored a victory by debasing the debate and diminishing humanity.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

In the States, at least, "trump" as a verb generally takes its meaning from card games, especially Bridge. The "trump" card is the card that beats all other cards. Obviously something the Trump family would like to think is true of itself.

Today, he urged us to have a "very reflective" President's day. Which is kind of odd- if you have civic reflections on federal holidays, you usually reserve them for Martin Luther King day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and maybe Labor Day, depending on your feelings regarding labor unions. President's day? You usually either scramble to find child care (schools and government offices are closed, most private businesses carry on as usual), fight the crowds at the ski hill, or go out and buy a mattress (Presidents Day sales being how retail business try to get people back to buying stuff after the end of the holidays).

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the connection to gas-passing is from "trump" as in "trumpet": the sound involved.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Perhaps President's Day is a good time to send him thoughts and prayers?

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Special offers like this one for example?

[Frown]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
In the meantime, a (free) cartoon about the duties he is not performing. He is clearly not going to defend us against the Russians. Putin must have some heavy-duty levers clamped around his personal organs.

David Frum examines some of the implications here.

quote:
CIA Director Mike Pompeo predicted to the BBC at the beginning of 2018 that Russia “will be back” to help its preferred candidates in November 2018. To what extent does President Trump—to what extent do congressional Republicans—look to Russian interference to help their party in the 2018 cycle?

Most observers predict a grim year for the GOP in 2018. But the economy is strong, and selective tax cuts are strategically redistributing money from blue-state professionals to red-state parents. The Republican national committee commands a huge financial advantage over its Democratic counterpart. (Things look more even at the level of the individual candidates.) A little extra help could make a big difference to Republican hopes—and to Trump’s political survival.

Nothing has been done in the past 15 months to prevent that help from flowing. You have to wonder whether the president does not privately welcome that help, as he publicly welcomed help from WikiLeaks in the summer of 2016.

So far no one in the Republican leadership, neither Trump nor McConnell nor Ryan, has acted like Russian interference in American elections is a problem. This makes sense only if they assume that all future interference will benefit the Republican party, which is an interesting assumption to make.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Today, he urged us to have a "very reflective" President's day. Which is kind of odd- if you have civic reflections on federal holidays, you usually reserve them for Martin Luther King day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and maybe Labor Day, depending on your feelings regarding labor unions. President's day? You usually either scramble to find child care (schools and government offices are closed, most private businesses carry on as usual), fight the crowds at the ski hill, or go out and buy a mattress (Presidents Day sales being how retail business try to get people back to buying stuff after the end of the holidays).

I hear golf is popular, at least if you're in Florida or somewhere else warm. I'm guessing that the official statement that Trump would avoid hitting the links this weekend out of respect for the victims of the recent school shooting isn't technically a lie if you point out that Presidents Day is a Monday.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

For you, Eutychus, anything. I am famously pliable, of the sweetest and most clement nature, dwelling by the Springs of Dove. I will resort only to analogy, inference, and allusion; it will be upon the reader to figure it out. There's a lot of fantasy and horror fiction out there! You will know who I mean, when I speak of Voldemort, eh? Or He Who Shall Not Be Named. Or the Stench that Rose from Pennsylvania Avenue...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

And with the capital = Fart.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Apparently "one White House official" is able to see the silver lining in any apparently bad situation.

quote:
“For everyone, it was a distraction or a reprieve,” said one White House official, speaking anonymously to reflect internal conversations. “A lot of people here felt like it was a reprieve from seven or eight days of just getting pummeled.”

The official likened the brief political calm to the aftermath of the October 2017 gun massacre in Las Vegas that left 58 dead and hundreds more injured. That tragedy united White House aides and the country in their shared mourning for the victims and their families.

“But as we all know, sadly, when the coverage dies down a little bit, we’ll be back through the chaos,” the official said.

Yes, that's what's sad about school shootings, the fact that it only temporarily distracts the press from asking you about inappropriate security clearances, Russian election interference, or just the general corruption and incompetence that seems an everyday thing with this administration. What a ghoul!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
In the States, at least, "trump" as a verb generally takes its meaning from card games, especially Bridge. The "trump" card is the card that beats all other cards. Obviously something the Trump family would like to think is true of itself.

He probably thinks it was named after him. (Please don't confuse him with facts such as that the word was around long before he was born.)
[Disappointed]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016