homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 85)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  82  83  84  85  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just bumped this dormant Hell thread.

In view of recent exchanges, let's try something. If what you want to do is rant, and in the process use rude nicknames for Trump, then use the freedoms of Hell to be as ranty as you like.

If you want to discuss seriously any of the social and political implications of the words and actions of Trump and his administration, then this is the thread for you.

Let's try this out. It's more in keeping with the normal uses of Hell for ranting and Purgatory for serious discussion. I'm sure the boundary will get a little porous!

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Croesos

Reminds me of the fate of Jo Moore.

It's the sort of thing harrassed political advisors say, but preferably not in the hearing of members of the media. The White House must be a bizarre working environment.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Apparently "one White House official" is able to see the silver lining in any apparently bad situation.

quote:
“For everyone, it was a distraction or a reprieve,” said one White House official, speaking anonymously to reflect internal conversations. “A lot of people here felt like it was a reprieve from seven or eight days of just getting pummeled.”

The official likened the brief political calm to the aftermath of the October 2017 gun massacre in Las Vegas that left 58 dead and hundreds more injured. That tragedy united White House aides and the country in their shared mourning for the victims and their families.

“But as we all know, sadly, when the coverage dies down a little bit, we’ll be back through the chaos,” the official said.

Yes, that's what's sad about school shootings, the fact that it only temporarily distracts the press from asking you about inappropriate security clearances, Russian election interference, or just the general corruption and incompetence that seems an everyday thing with this administration. What a ghoul!
And you clearly see the logical follow on to this. When the heat gets too hot, what if there is no tragedy to distract the nation? Engineer one, of course. Declare a war. Send in the troops. Have people executed. It worked once, why not again?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It's the sort of thing harrassed political advisors say, but preferably not in the hearing of members of the media. The White House must be a bizarre working environment.

Yeah. I think the attitude is understandable, given that they're trying to survive whatever the media throws at them, and what T throws at them. They were just glad of a break, whatever the cause. But that sentiment should've been kept among themselves.

Watching "The West Wing" can be instructive.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
And you clearly see the logical follow on to this. When the heat gets too hot, what if there is no tragedy to distract the nation? Engineer one, of course. Declare a war. Send in the troops. Have people executed. It worked once, why not again?

A real-life "Wag The Dog" (Wikipedia).

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thatcher was accused of that over The Falklands.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
O yes - t is all piss and wind. It's those pulling his strings who are to be feared, and Putin is of the highest calibre of fear-inducing wossname.

A very clever and far-seeing man.

IJ

Manipulating the international profile of someone like Trump would be wee buns to an ex-head of the KGB, now ruler of Russia. Putin must be sacrificing goats every day in thanksgiving to the gods-that-be for the gift that is Trump's presidency.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

To an extent possibly, but perhaps not in the way you mean.

ISTM from reading and hearing older political operators speak on the topic, that the "West Wing" is less descriptive rather than prescriptive, in the sense that newer operators seem to assume that that is how politics works [it also feeds a fantasy where opponents are all reasonable, and that ultimately you can win by superior arguments because things like facts and avoiding hypocrisy matters]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
JLB
Apprentice
# 10670

- Posted      Profile for JLB   Email JLB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my Twitter feed I've had a link to a crowdfunding site for a boy injured in the Florida shooting. Is there really no state funding even in this situation? Are the people of the country not ashamed?
Posts: 28 | From: wiltshire | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes -- didn't you know? If you are one of these victims, you had better have health insurance. Or, in the case of students, your parents had better have it, gold plated and top notch. Because the medical bills will be titanic, more than you can imagine. Putting out the begging bowl is the first step; the next is selling the house and borrowing from all the family and friends. Do you remember that congressman who was shot on a ball field in Alexandria, VA last year? He has a go-fund me site as well. Even he, probably a millionaire, can't afford the treatments he'll need to walk again.

Even if you didb't take an actual bullet -- if you want grief counseling? Treatment for your PTSD? Psychological help in a few years when the trauma finally crashes your psyche? Tch. Voldemort proposed major cuts in mental health funding only last month. If he has his way you are on your own. You have his thoughts and prayers.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JLB:
In my Twitter feed I've had a link to a crowdfunding site for a boy injured in the Florida shooting. Is there really no state funding even in this situation?

Poorer Americans were supposed to be covered by the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid expansion program. Then John Roberts ineptly re-wrote that part of the bill based on no clear constitutional principle anyone could figure out (remember that the next time some American conservative starts blathering on about "judicial activism") making the Medicaid expansion optional. Florida is one of the states that has opted not to accept free federal money for the health care of its citizens.

Presumably the student is under 19 years old and thus might qualify for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), but the income limits for eligibility are kind of strict. The other problem is that CHIP is an opt-in program. You have to wade through a lot of paperwork to enroll your kids.

I don't know the exact details of the student in question, but if I had to guess I'd say it's likely his parents have enough income that he doesn't qualify for CHIP, but too much income to qualify for an ACA subsidy. In other words, the kind of person the ACA's Medicaid expansion is supposed to cover, but doesn't in Florida because of John Roberts and Rick Scott.

quote:
Are the people of the country not ashamed?

Some Americans find this shameful. Others, like most Republican politicians, view this as the way things are supposed to be.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In my Twitter feed I've had a link to a crowdfunding site for a boy injured in the Florida shooting. Is there really no state funding even in this situation? Are the people of the country not ashamed?

Ashamed that there is a mechanism in place and people willing to donate that has already raised millions of dollars? That there will be more money provided to the victims and their families than the wildest bernie statist fantasy could ever provide?

Why would they be?

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, us Americans, unlike you dirty, commie Europeans, believe strongly in Freedom!!! As exemplified in our right to die in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where guns are freely passed out like candy but health care is a rare commodity available only to the highest bidder-- cuz government regulation makes the baby Jesus cry. Freedom, baby!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina said:
quote:
Manipulating the international profile of someone like Trump would be wee buns to an ex-head of the KGB, now ruler of Russia. Putin must be sacrificing goats every day in thanksgiving to the gods-that-be for the gift that is Trump's presidency.
Hmm. Isn't Mr. Putin a Good Orthodox Christian? Perhaps (but hopefully not) in the same way that t is a Good Evangelical Christian?

Goat-sacrificing?

Is Outrage!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, I think the alternative reality in which romanlion appears to live deserves our Thoughts and Prayers.

Enjoy.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

Ashamed that there is a mechanism in place and people willing to donate that has already raised millions of dollars? That there will be more money provided to the victims and their families than the wildest bernie statist fantasy could ever provide?

Why would they be?

When health care is funded thru GoFundMe pages, then your right to live is determined by how winsome your appeal is. If you're able to write a snappy, witty appeal letter-- or post a picture of an adorable toddler whose life is imperiled-- you might get thousands. If you're an average Joe with some boring-but-common disease, perhaps even one that is often (but not always) associated with bad behaviors-- say lung cancer or type 2 diabetes-- yeah, good luck, you're on your own.

There are also conditions that are beyond the reaches of even GoFundMe. My infant granddaughter needed 2 open heart surgeries in her first year of life (and will need one more). The bill for just her first month in the hospital was nearly $1 mill. Even though she's a really cute kid with an appealing story and "deserving" parents, I doubt we'd raise that on GoFundMe-- and certainly not the $3 mill. plus needed for all 3 surgeries. Even the private insurers won't touch her condition. Which is why the hospital advised my daughter to quit her good job with good benefits to go on Medicare. Without CHIP my granddaughter would have died.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Eek!]

For all its faults and failings (mostly due to underfunding and bl**dy Tory interference), our NHS here in Ukland really is something for which to be thankful to God (and that amazing post-WW2 Labour government*).

*Clement Attlee's** administration, which probably achieved more for the general benefit of the population of this country at large than any other government, before or since. YMMV, of course!

**when asked if he was an agnostic, Attlee is reputed to have replied 'I don't know...'

IJ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantasy.

quote:

Reality.

quote:
With the rising popularity of high-deductible health plans, a number of patients have trouble paying their medical expenses. This struggle may lead them to set up a crowdfunding campaign such as GoFundMe. But these campaigns are often unsuccessful at achieving their financial target, according to a study published in the journal Social Science & Medicine.

For the study, researchers from the University of Washington Bothell examined 200 GoFundMe campaigns set up last year.

They found most of the campaigns (90 percent) only garnered 40 percent of their financial target on average, according to a news release. A smaller number of campaigns (10 percent) raised less than $100, the release states.

The study also found a large portion of campaigns occurred in states opting out of the ACA's Medicaid expansion. Specifically, 54 percent of the campaigns studied came from nonexpansion states, according to the release.

The study also seems to verify cliffdweller's point about the system being geared more towards sympathetic and tech-savvy patients rather than based on medical necessity.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The libertarian argument is that those parents should have foreseen this. They should have saved the, oh, $4 million that those children shall need for the hospital bills. If they lacked the forethought to do that (we shall put aside the problem that they may not have ever had the -income- to do that) then it's not anyone else's problem. The argument that this is precisely what insurance is for -- to meed unforeseen needs that no one could ever save for -- somehow has no impact. The notion of compulsory health insurance is repugnant; I have friends who argue that even compulsory automobile insurance is vile.

Don't ever give up your NHS, British cousins. Don't EVER go to the American system. Do not let morons convince you we are doing it better. Please.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, the Fartletter-in-Chief has endorsed Mitt Romney is his bid to be elected a senator from Utah.

How long ago was it that the F-i-C called Romney "one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics"?

Romney has thanked the F-i-C for his endorsement. How long ago was it that he called him a "fraud", among other things?

The poet says that to err is human, to forgive divine. Methinks here that to forgive is to err.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Mitt Romney, 2016:

quote:
If Trump had said 4 years ago the things he says today about the KKK, Muslims, Mexicans, disabled, I would NOT have accepted his endorsement
Mitt Romney, 2018:

quote:
Thank you Mr. President for the support. I hope that over the course of the campaign I also earn the support and endorsement of the people of Utah.
Though for whatever reason the idea of Mitt Romney as a man of principle who will stand up to Trump is a bizarrely durable one, even on the Ship.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He's as twisty as a corkscrew. But I still would be happier with him than the Nameless.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, by this time next year, the once-great America will find itself occupied, and divided up, between Russia (on the east coast), China (on the west coast), and North Korea (somewhere between the two).

This has been Revealed to me by the Lord in a Dream.

I'll get my coat, and my Pills, on the way out.

IJ

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don’t understand Romney’s deference given that, from what I have read, many Utahans intensely dislike Trump ( although not enough to ever switch parties). Romney could have been far less fawning and still get all the support he needs to win. Is this all theater — like a sweet Southern lady murmuring, “ Bless your heart,” when everyone, including the recipient of the blessing, knows she actually means, “ Fuck you,” or are moderate Republicans really this afraid of 45 and his pitchfork-wielding minions?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I don’t understand Romney’s deference given that, from what I have read, many Utahans intensely dislike Trump (although not enough to ever switch parties).

Most Utahns dislike Trump personally, but they still approve of his job as president by 48% while 47% disapprove. That's above Trump's national average of 38% approval.

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Is this all theater — like a sweet Southern lady murmuring, “Bless your heart,” when everyone, including the recipient of the blessing, knows she actually means, “Fuck you,” or are moderate Republicans really this afraid of 45 and his pitchfork-wielding minions?

Among self-identified Republicans Trump has an approval of 80%. Compare that with the approval ratings of Congress, which are typically in the 20s or 30s, and you can see why even potential future Senators might be wary of taking too strong a stand against someone Republican voters like better than them.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could possibly see this as a kind of "everybody be cool" move on the part of Trump and Romney. Romney should win the general election easily. Like Jeff Flake, he may be a pain in Trump's rear, but he's still going to vote the party line. So this endorsement heads off any speculation about a primary fight, and the possibility that you end up with Utah's version of Roy Moore pulling the primary upset. You quickly avoid a possible Alabama situation, and no one need ever speak of it again.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I don't think this is a hoax: but apparently a book is to be released called "The Faith of Donald J Trump - a spiritual biography".

Authors David Brody and Scott Lamb.

One assumes it is a very short book. Or possible The Onion's best ever spoof.

I came across this review of the book in question, which you might find instructive.

quote:
But the book is misnamed. It should have been titled Our Faith in Donald J. Trump. From beginning to end, the question of what, precisely, is going on in Trump’s mind and soul — the $64,000 question, one would think, in a “spiritual biography” — can only be answered by circumstantial evidence. Indeed, there’s this disclaimer in the introduction:

quote:
One of the most often asked queries [from the authors’ friends] went something like this: “Is Trump a Christian?” Within the evangelical context that means: “Is he born again?” or “Is he headed for heaven?” or “Is his name written in the Lamb’s book of life?”

OK, so just up front: We’re not answering that question.

Lord knows Brody and Lamb want to answer that question affirmatively, and let many of the large group of conservative Evangelical advisers filtering in and out of Trump’s entourage testify that he’s gaga for prayer and deeply interested in the Bible, despite the regular evidence that he probably isn’t. But in the end, it’s never quite clear whether Trump is just telling all of these sanctified people what they want to hear and using them for their obvious political value.
A fairly worthwhile review, especially for those disinclined to buy the book, or even check it out of their local library.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
He's as twisty as a corkscrew. But I still would be happier with him than the Nameless.

Yes. Perhaps the GOP goal: to lower the bar so much we're grateful for someone like Romney

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I don't think this is a hoax: but apparently a book is to be released called "The Faith of Donald J Trump - a spiritual biography".

Authors David Brody and Scott Lamb.

One assumes it is a very short book. Or possible The Onion's best ever spoof.

I came across this review of the book in question, which you might find instructive.

quote:
But the book is misnamed. It should have been titled Our Faith in Donald J. Trump. From beginning to end, the question of what, precisely, is going on in Trump’s mind and soul — the $64,000 question, one would think, in a “spiritual biography” — can only be answered by circumstantial evidence. Indeed, there’s this disclaimer in the introduction:

quote:
One of the most often asked queries [from the authors’ friends] went something like this: “Is Trump a Christian?” Within the evangelical context that means: “Is he born again?” or “Is he headed for heaven?” or “Is his name written in the Lamb’s book of life?”

OK, so just up front: We’re not answering that question.

Lord knows Brody and Lamb want to answer that question affirmatively, and let many of the large group of conservative Evangelical advisers filtering in and out of Trump’s entourage testify that he’s gaga for prayer and deeply interested in the Bible, despite the regular evidence that he probably isn’t. But in the end, it’s never quite clear whether Trump is just telling all of these sanctified people what they want to hear and using them for their obvious political value.
A fairly worthwhile review, especially for those disinclined to buy the book, or even check it out of their local library.

Well it may not be the $64000 question, but if they can explain what the heck my fellow evangelicals who support him are thinking and/or what hallucinogens are in the coffee, that might be worth $32000. Sure has this lifelong (for now) evangelical baffled

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Well it may not be the $64000 question, but if they can explain what the heck my fellow evangelicals who support him are thinking and/or what hallucinogens are in the coffee, that might be worth $32000. Sure has this lifelong (for now) evangelical baffled

I'm not fronting even $32000, but if I were to buy the book, it would be in an attempt to find out.

(Besides, it would sit nicely beside my copy of Fire and Fury).

Did Trump just ban bump stocks, by the way, or is there some weasel wording in there?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Did Trump just ban bump stocks, by the way, or is there some weasel wording in there?

The weasel wording is right at the top.

quote:
Speaking at a White House event on Tuesday, Mr Trump said he had directed the Department of Justice to propose a law to make the accessories illegal.
So he claims he told the DoJ to write something up and pass it along to Congress. Whether or not this actually results in anything or is just a pretense in the hope that everyone forgets about this a week or a month from now (like his promise to release his tax returns if nominated) I'll leave for you to decide.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are also conditions that are beyond the reaches of even GoFundMe. My infant granddaughter needed 2 open heart surgeries in her first year of life (and will need one more). The bill for just her first month in the hospital was nearly $1 mill. Even though she's a really cute kid with an appealing story and "deserving" parents, I doubt we'd raise that on GoFundMe-- and certainly not the $3 mill. plus needed for all 3 surgeries. Even the private insurers won't touch her condition. Which is why the hospital advised my daughter to quit her good job with good benefits to go on Medicare. Without CHIP my granddaughter would have died.

[Votive]

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
The libertarian argument is that those parents should have foreseen this. They should have saved the, oh, $4 million that those children shall need for the hospital bills. If they lacked the forethought to do that (we shall put aside the problem that they may not have ever had the -income- to do that) then it's not anyone else's problem. The argument that this is precisely what insurance is for -- to meed unforeseen needs that no one could ever save for -- somehow has no impact. The notion of compulsory health insurance is repugnant; I have friends who argue that even compulsory automobile insurance is vile.

Don't ever give up your NHS, British cousins. Don't EVER go to the American system. Do not let morons convince you we are doing it better. Please.

There is no chance of us adopting a US-style healthcare system. When designing scare campaigns on health care, the phrase "US-style healthcare system" is guaranteed to get people screaming "nooooo"

If the conservatives presently in government propose even minor cuts to our universal health care system, the media and health lobby are all over it. Everyone knows that if they go too far they will lose the next election.

As for gun laws, every now and then someone tries to make a new type of gun lawful. I'm pretty sure it has never happened in the twenty odd years since Port Arthur. The public is dead against it, and to liberalise our gun laws, even with our strict licensing and storage requirements would be political suicide.

I have a couple of mates who grew up with guns, hunting with their Dads and stuff. One was diagnosed with bi-polar like me, but he was diagnosed as a young adult. His gun went to his father, and his license went to the bin. The other is still pretty interested in guns, likes going to shooting ranges and is involved in the Gun Lobby's organisations. I support his ownership and use of guns within the confines of the law. But he made the mistake the other day on facebook of attacking an anti-violence organisation that was set up to remember two pre-schoolers who were murdered at Port Arthur in the mid-nineties. Man, he copped it from all sides, and we were his friends. Some of the gifs...

I heard a US Senator claim that nobody would or should think anything of someone on their street owning a semi-automatic weapon. In an Australian context I don't think that would be lawful, but even if it was, I reckon people would react in a similar way to if they heard that someone on their street was a pedophile.

[ 20. February 2018, 23:12: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Human

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

(Please could a kindly Host amend this thread so that it doesn't take up a screen-and-a-half's width?
[Help]

IJ)

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

The weasel wording is right at the top.

quote:
Speaking at a White House event on Tuesday, Mr Trump said he had directed the Department of Justice to propose a law to make the accessories illegal.
So he claims he told the DoJ to write something up and pass it along to Congress. Whether or not this actually results in anything or is just a pretense in the hope that everyone forgets about this a week or a month from now (like his promise to release his tax returns if nominated) I'll leave for you to decide.

For anyone who is unaware, the bump stock issue is completely pointless, like any other accessory ban or restriction.

I can produce the exact same effect with a semi-automatic rifle by hooking my thumb in my belt loop.

But hey, I guess something meaningless is better than nothing at all!
[Snigger]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

simontoad

Busting the scroll lock is an offence you're allowed to get away with once. No more extra long 'nooooo's or equivalent please, otherwise H&A will have your guts for garters.

B62, Purg Host

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Oops! Apologies.

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Meanwhile, the Fartletter-in-Chief has endorsed Mitt Romney is his bid to be elected a senator from Utah.

How long ago was it that the F-i-C called Romney "one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics"?

Romney has thanked the F-i-C for his endorsement. How long ago was it that he called him a "fraud", among other things?

The poet says that to err is human, to forgive divine. Methinks here that to forgive is to err.

I don't think forgiveness has anything to do with it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

chris--

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

To an extent possibly, but perhaps not in the way you mean.

ISTM from reading and hearing older political operators speak on the topic, that the "West Wing" is less descriptive rather than prescriptive, in the sense that newer operators seem to assume that that is how politics works [it also feeds a fantasy where opponents are all reasonable, and that ultimately you can win by superior arguments because things like facts and avoiding hypocrisy matters]

Hmmmm...to me, that doesn't sound like WW at all. Lots of people were unreasonable, all around. Bartlett and his crew pulled political tricks. They put CJ (their Sarah Sanders, but much better) in the position of unknowlingly lying. They often tried to do things honestly and reasonably. But that wasn't always productive. They also did stupid and/or bad things.

There may be some things that are prescriptive, worthy of imitation. But there's also a lot of "don't try this at home".

ETA: Allison Janney, "CJ", wants a reunion show so that CJ can let loose on T. And the producer (?) also wants to do something.

[ 21. February 2018, 04:25: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For anyone who is unaware, the bump stock issue is completely pointless, like any other accessory ban or restriction.

So why has their price reportedly tripled overnight?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
quote:

Yes. Perhaps the GOP goal: to lower the bar so much we're grateful for someone like Romney
If the goal is an eventual President R, then small snag: the first time R ran, he didn't want to do it. His wife pushed him into it. That's per R himself. Not sure about the 2nd time.

I'd rather have R than T, because he seems more functional, and could perhaps be made to compromise on some things. But do we need another person who doesn't really want the job?

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can produce the exact same effect with a semi-automatic rifle by hooking my thumb in my belt loop.

That sounds like a good way to cause yourself an injury that would in the inaccurate but rather graphic words when we went to the range as cub-scouts, make you eligible for the guides.

In any case forcing a posture like that makes it a lot harder to shoot out a hotel window. And if the only consequence is you lot get to do some literal as well as metaphorical jerking off at the range then everyones a winner.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Anselmina said:
quote:
Hmm. Isn't Mr. Putin a Good Orthodox Christian? Perhaps (but hopefully not) in the same way that t is a Good Evangelical Christian?

Goat-sacrificing?

Is Outrage!

IJ

Well, so long as it's the first he-goat to 'open the womb' as the old version of the Bible would have it!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Snigger]

That’s what Trump’s going for, for sure. Minimum action to put on the show that he cares. Now let it die in committee and hold it in reserve until the next mass shooting.

Didn’t the NRA briefly support this ban as a cover after Vegas?

My brother is a gun guy. He’s suggested that it people who want restrictions should follow the lead of Southern states in their efforts to all-but ban abortion. If you can’t totally ban something, just make it next to impossible to obtain it, and see how far the political will of the voters will carry you.

If this half-ass measure from the White House is the best a Republican will do, that’s got to be the next step.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Remember that the Lidless Eye has a long and sterling record of promising things that he then never puts any effort into achieving. Walls with Mexico come immediately to mind, but there are many many more, including contractors stiffed for their payments, even porn stars who had to redouble their threats before they could pry out their $130K.

This is a free click, a discussion of the shameless kleptocracy pervading the administration.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
[Snigger]

That’s what Trump’s going for, for sure. Minimum action to put on the show that he cares. Now let it die in committee and hold it in reserve until the next mass shooting.

Didn’t the NRA briefly support this ban as a cover after Vegas?

My brother is a gun guy. He’s suggested that it people who want restrictions should follow the lead of Southern states in their efforts to all-but ban abortion. If you can’t totally ban something, just make it next to impossible to obtain it, and see how far the political will of the voters will carry you.

If this half-ass measure from the White House is the best a Republican will do, that’s got to be the next step.

And the actual effect of such stupid policy moves will be that by the time such a ban takes effect, there will be more bump stocks in circulation that there are guns to put them on.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Which may well be why the price has risen.

(But I think this tangent belongs in the Guns Hell thread).

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I didn't post the NY Times link, but here is a free CNN story about Thomas Friedman's red alert column. It links through to the original piece if you care to go on. If Friedman, a dean of the American commentariat, is alarmed, then we got troubles, right here.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Seems like he's a few Friedman Units late in sounding the alarm.

For those who are interested, Friedman is one of the more syndicated columnists in the country so you don't have to use a NYT click to read him. Here's a copy of the column in question over at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

[ 21. February 2018, 17:03: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This one is exceptionally demented even for these days: the Stench that arose from Fifth Avenue between 56th and 57th Streets is alleging that Obama never used the Oval Office. Who are you going to believe, him or your own lying eyes beholding eight years worth of photographs? One of which illustrates this piece from New York magazine -- it's a free click.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  82  83  84  85  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016