homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie--

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is another variant on the King Lear theme. Free click.

So true. It makes me pity him. Is it his fault he was treated so as a child, warping his personality into such a narcissist - then inheriting billions to squander as he wished?

I blame the voters - but would that be victim blaming?

Blame the donors, the rich, the powerful who knew what he is, and supported him for their own agendas.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why? The voters preferred Hillary Clinton by about two percentage points.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

One of the most cogent criticisms of outraged Democrat voters I've seen from the right (and let's face it, there aren't many...) is the impression the former sometimes give that the election was won unfairly.

I take all the points about voter suppression and other kinks in the system that mean that the popular vote doesn't decide the outcome, but I think it's especially pointless to bemoan the latter in particular for this mandate. It gives the impression that non-Republicans are essentially in denial about the outcome.

Activism to improve the voting system shouldn't be confused with criticism of the current administration.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
quote:

One of the most cogent criticisms of outraged Democrat voters I've seen from the right (and let's face it, there aren't many...) is the impression the former sometimes give that the election was won unfairly.

I take all the points about voter suppression and other kinks in the system that mean that the popular vote doesn't decide the outcome, but I think it's especially pointless to bemoan the latter in particular for this mandate. It gives the impression that non-Republicans are essentially in denial about the outcome.

Activism to improve the voting system shouldn't be confused with criticism of the current administration.

I'm willing to concede that Donald Trump has completed all the Constitutional requirements to legally exercise the powers of the U.S. presidency. What I object to is translating that into portraying him as the choice of "the voters" or "the people". I concede that the U.S. uses a somewhat non-democratic method to select the president that sometimes vomits up a second-place finisher to head the executive branch. Unless you also win the popular vote you don't get to claim that "the voters" get credit/blame for your victory. I see repeated attempts to cast Trump in this light as of a piece with his claims about the size of the crowd at his inauguration: an attempt to portray an historically unpopular president* as being popular.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I object to is translating that into portraying him as the choice of "the voters" or "the people". I concede that the U.S. uses a somewhat non-democratic method to select the president that sometimes vomits up a second-place finisher to head the executive branch. Unless you also win the popular vote you don't get to claim that "the voters" get credit/blame for your victory. I see repeated attempts to cast Trump in this light as of a piece with his claims about the size of the crowd at his inauguration: an attempt to portray an historically unpopular president* as being popular.

Regardless of who is President, there is often a claim that winning the election results in a "mandate." Here is an interesting pre-election analysis of the Presidential claims of mandates.
quote:
President Franklin Roosevelt rarely invoked the election result when he was presenting early New Deal ideas in 1933, but more recent presidents such as Bill Clinton and George W. Bush have frequently invoked the election to justify their policy ideas, big and small. The major turning point appears to have been the Nixon and Carter administrations, neither of which tend to come to mind when we think of major presidential mandates. Documents from these administrations reveal that references to election results were less about the results themselves and more about the need for presidents to justify their leadership in an increasingly hostile political environment. Party polarization had begun, trust in institutions had declined, and as a result, the presidency no longer commanded the respect it once did. In other words, reaching for rhetoric about “doing what I was elected to do” or “fulfilling the promises of my campaign” has become a standard way of defending presidential legitimacy in general.
(Emphasis added.)

So, while I agree with you that a politician shouldn't act as if their electoral victory was a signal that everything the politician thinks is endorsed by "the people," they will do so because politicians of whatever stripe love to wallow in rhetoric. It isn't just a Trump thing. It is a politician thing.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
What I object to is translating that into portraying him as the choice of "the voters" or "the people". I concede that the U.S. uses a somewhat non-democratic method to select the president that sometimes vomits up a second-place finisher to head the executive branch. Unless you also win the popular vote you don't get to claim that "the voters" get credit/blame for your victory. I see repeated attempts to cast Trump in this light as of a piece with his claims about the size of the crowd at his inauguration: an attempt to portray an historically unpopular president* as being popular.

Regardless of who is President, there is often a claim that winning the election results in a "mandate." Here is an interesting pre-election analysis of the Presidential claims of mandates.
quote:
President Franklin Roosevelt rarely invoked the election result when he was presenting early New Deal ideas in 1933, but more recent presidents such as Bill Clinton and George W. Bush have frequently invoked the election to justify their policy ideas, big and small. The major turning point appears to have been the Nixon and Carter administrations, neither of which tend to come to mind when we think of major presidential mandates. Documents from these administrations reveal that references to election results were less about the results themselves and more about the need for presidents to justify their leadership in an increasingly hostile political environment. Party polarization had begun, trust in institutions had declined, and as a result, the presidency no longer commanded the respect it once did. In other words, reaching for rhetoric about “doing what I was elected to do” or “fulfilling the promises of my campaign” has become a standard way of defending presidential legitimacy in general.
(Emphasis added.)

So, while I agree with you that a politician shouldn't act as if their electoral victory was a signal that everything the politician thinks is endorsed by "the people," they will do so because politicians of whatever stripe love to wallow in rhetoric. It isn't just a Trump thing. It is a politician thing.

True. But at least those prior examples were presidents who were, you know, elected by the majority of Americans. So, while their use of the rhetoric was self-serving it was also mostly true-- unlike Trump's claim.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
But at least those prior examples were presidents who were, you know, elected by the majority of Americans.

No. They were elected by the majority of Americans who bothered to vote. If voter turnout in the US were closer to what it is elsewhere, history would have run a very different course indeed.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The original Constitution was not about the popular vote, but of the states being united.

Originally, while the House of Representatives were elected based on the population of a state, the Senate was intended to be selected by the state legislatures. Each state has two Senators as a way of keeping all states equal. The Senate itself was intended as a counterpoint to the popular vote of the House.

Likewise, the election of the president and vice president were never about the majority of the vote, but about the preferences of the state. Each state legislature was entitled to select a slate of electors, based on the number of representatives and senators the state had.

The person holding the office of President was to be the President of the United STATES, not the majority of the popular vote.

It did not take too long before state legislatures abdicated their right to the will of the people, states began to allow the vote of the people to determine who was going to be the state electors fairly early. By 1824, eighteen states chose their electors by popular vote. Six states were still using the legislative system. I really can't find an amendment that specifically says the electors are to be elected by popular vote, it just seemed to evolve. There is an amendment that eventually allowed the popular vote of each state to determine their Senators, but there is no such amendment concerning the president.

Other countries also use electoral college systems. Germany comes to mind.

Even if, for some reason, no one was able to get a majority of the electoral college vote, the election would then go to the House, but each state would only have one vote. Again, it is about the state, not the voter.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
But at least those prior examples were presidents who were, you know, elected by the majority of Americans.

No. They were elected by the majority of Americans who bothered to vote. If voter turnout in the US were closer to what it is elsewhere, history would have run a very different course indeed.
Yes, sorry-- I should have said "voters". But the point remains: as much as there is a dubious history of claiming "mandate" to endorse your agenda, Trump has taken it to a new low by claiming a mandate when in fact he failed to clear even the very low bar of gaining the support of the majority of people who bothered to come out to vote.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was listening to the News Quiz on the way to work yeaterday and Andrew Murray came out with this pearler:

Trump is all golden top with no toilet.

Now that is quality abuse [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gramps49, our Founding Fathers also thought slavery was peachy-keen, and bent over backwards to ensure it was legal and enmeshed into our laws. Yes they set up the government so that the people would have little say. But we grew out of it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Even if, for some reason, no one was able to get a majority of the electoral college vote, the election would then go to the House, but each state would only have one vote. Again, it is about the state, not the voter.

Further evidence that Randall Munroe lurks on the Ship: today's xkcd is entitled voting systems.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baby Trumpling helps wreck the world:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/0

[Mad]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the part where he said he is going to stop the world laughing at the USA.

Believe me, we're already laughing.

--------------------
arse

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I liked the part where he said he is going to stop the world laughing at the USA.

Believe me, we're already laughing.

I'm not laughing, I'm crying.

I want to [Projectile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

I want to [Projectile]

I think I'm through the grief stage and into hysterical laughing.

--------------------
arse

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of a story from a bishop of Norwich, on the technique for leading the people of Norfolk. It's like leading pigs. First you find out where they want to go, and then you walk in front of them.

Whereas falsely smiling, self congratulating Trumpikins tries leading by finding out where everyone else wants to go and stomping off in the opposite direction, still claiming to be a world leader.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
World leader? World bleeder, more like.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
trumpy probably hasn't read any of the briefing notes on the Paris accord. And he might tweet something marginally coherent tomorrow morning where he changes his mind. We all have to stop seeing the USA as a nation whose opinion matters, which has any relevance to world affairs, and we mustn't seek its approval unless it is going go drone bomb us. Oh where's the toilet?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

It seems that at least some state governors are saying they are intending to honour the spirit of the Paris agreement anyway. Could an issue such as this actually fragment the Union in the long term?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

There's a thought. Anyone for Anti-President?

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

That is, along the lines of the Anti-Popes, or even the Anti-Christ...

IJ

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bullshitter in Chief?

I'm even more disturbed, if possible, after reading analyses of Trump's bullshit and methods. Frightening from across the Pacific; can have no idea what it is like for you all.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, McCain is (was? - not sure if he's left) here. Odd that someone who stood next to Palin now looks exceptionally mainstream! I know he's got a long and distinguished record, but I still cannot separate him and Palin in mind.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
BTW, McCain is (was? - not sure if he's left) here. . . . I still cannot separate him and Palin in mind.

Easy. He does have a mind.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rest of the world needs to start to identify US industries and products made using fossil fuels and look at alternatives. Just discussing it will send a message. Maybe start talking loudly as the next US election cycle starts getting going.
Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
BTW, McCain is (was? - not sure if he's left) here. Odd that someone who stood next to Palin now looks exceptionally mainstream!

You're not the only one surprised. A columnist in the Phoenix newspaper wrote today about pretty much the same thing: Crazy Uncle John explains Crazy Uncle Donald.

Of course, Trump did not endear himself to McCain two years ago when he said “He’s not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

(McCain, a former Navy pilot, spent over five years in the notorious North Vietnamese prison known as the “Hanoi Hilton,” where he was repeatedly tortured, two of those years in solitary confinement.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

I want to [Projectile]

I think I'm through the grief stage and into hysterical laughing.
Ah! There's my next sign. "The world is LAUGHING at us". Perhaps a graphic of a clown.

To go with the one that will say, "Life is a Pre-Existing Condition".

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus--

quote:
It seems that at least some state governors are saying they are intending to honour the spirit of the Paris agreement anyway. Could an issue such as this actually fragment the Union in the long term?

Jerry Brown of California, my governor, is one of them. From what I heard today, he has an upcoming meeting with China about the environment, but I'm not sure of the focus. I think it's good that Jerry is our governor now. He was gov. once before (late '70s?); trained as a Jesuit, but not ordained; into Zen back then, IIRC; an environmentalist, IIRC; fiery; a man of his times; some people made fun of him and California; and he and Linda Ronstadt were an item! He's grown and grown up a lot; has more balance; still fiery; and has become a bit of a curmudgeon. So he's ready to take this challenge on.

Not sure re fragmenting. We've got all sorts of fractures and fault lines, and we always have. Plus "states' rights"--which have often been used for evil; but there can be good uses, too. Saving the environment might be one of them.

I don't think this, *on its own*, would be enough to seriously fragment the US. But groups that are already leaning towards secession (many), and also believe in climate change (Cascadia independence movement* (Wikipedia)) , might take it as a "go!" signal.

[Votive]

*Presumed to believe in climate change, given the environmentalist streak in the places involved.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:

I've severely mixed feelings about the electoral college, because of the 2016 election and also the Bush/Gore mess. Both times, they could've saved us from disaster, and didn't.

OTOH, the electoral college gave us Lincoln. (Though, with what he went through, up to the end, he might've preferred losing.)

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I appreciate that people further up the thread are venting in the face of another bad decision by Trump. I just want to reaffirm that the United States is not Donald J. Trump, and it contains a large variety of political views, including on the environment.

Let's not forget that California has been more progressive than my own country on the environment. I can remember being amazed at the miles and miles of wind farms between San Francisco and Stockton in 1983.

People are talking up the Paris Agreement at the moment, but my memory is that it was criticised as 'a good start but not enough' at the time. I have done a brief search but can't find evidence of this on google. I'm not convinced that this decision is a useful beating stick. I much prefer misuse of office or treason.

--------------------
Human

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simontoad: I understand your pain, but right now ronald rdump is king of California and the whole of America so far as the world sees and as foreign policy.

Is revolution possible? You had one before. Is this ruler as bad as the one for the last one?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
McCain, a former Navy pilot, spent over five years in the notorious North Vietnamese prison known as the “Hanoi Hilton,” where he was repeatedly tortured, two of those years in solitary confinement.

And even now does not have full use of his arms. I've learned to respect John McCain. But let's see if his actions match his words.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I doubt it. In some ways, that's how it's supposed to work—states as "laboratories of democracy," per Justice Brandeis, for example.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
McCain, a former Navy pilot, spent over five years in the notorious North Vietnamese prison known as the “Hanoi Hilton,” where he was repeatedly tortured, two of those years in solitary confinement.

And even now does not have full use of his arms. I've learned to respect John McCain. But let's see if his actions match his words.
I'd have more respect for him if he had died there.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

McCain also turned down an opportunity to leave captivity, so he could support the other men.

I'm not sure I could do that. I'd probably be more inclined to leave, then spend all my time working to get the others out.

There are things I loathe about McCain, like his temper and frequent nastiness, and perhaps being too devoted to his party, But he went through hell, can sometimes be funny, and seems to be respected on Capitol Hill.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Simontoad: I understand your pain, but right now ronald rdump is king of California and the whole of America so far as the world sees and as foreign policy.

Is revolution possible? You had one before. Is this ruler as bad as the one for the last one?

Yeah but if he's a King, he's a constitutional monarch and revolution is achieved by operation of law.

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
quote:

Shame on you Romanlion. That is an awful post.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

Shame on you Romanlion. That is an awful post.
Not even Trump went that far.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, Mr. Trump, when you cite a particular city as the reason for your decision, make sure that city is on the same page with you. Pittsburgh mayor's reponse to Trump's decision.
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Romanlion

While I have had problems with McCain's service record and his positions when he ran for President, I, for one, was happy that he was returned to the US as part of the Peace Accords we signed with Hanoi in Paris.

At one time he was considered a radical conservative within the Republican party. Now he is considered a moderate within the same party. His positions have not changed. The party has changed.

At least, he is willing to work across the aisle for the good of the country. That is the sign of a true statesman. Would that more people from both parties work together for the good of the country.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Indeed, I would say the few remaining Republicans like McCain who remain committed to country over party, and are, you know, sane and rational are-- God help us-- our last hope.
[Help]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

McCain used to be considered by some as a "maverick," but he'd gotten less so over the years. He certainly sold out to the GOP when he ran for President. I believe he voted to approve all but one of Trump's appointments.

Now I think the only reason he's resisting Trump is because Trump hurt his feelings. It's possible he thinks his going against Trump is that it will improve his chances of being re-elected (apparently a lot of Republicans are beginning to wonder about this), but he's 80 years old, so many Arizonans doubt that he'll run again.

--------------------
~Tortuf

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

McCain is a classic Greek tragedy set in three acts:
McCain 1.0 was reasonable, civil, centrist and incredibly witty. Even when I disagreed with him I liked him
McCain 2.0 emerged in 2008 when, after suffering as the first victim of Karl Roves unethical electioneering practices he decided to throw in his lot with the dark side. Ultimately he didn't have the stomach for it
McCain 3.0 is a grumpy old man who's been battered down by life, sitting on his porch yelling at the kids to get off his lawn

But every now and then we still see glimpses of 1.0. We need him now more than ever

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Now I think the only reason he's resisting Trump is because Trump hurt his feelings.

Is John McCain "resisting" Trump in any meaningful way? He often purses his lips, scowls, and talks about how "concerned" he is about various things the Trump administration has done (or is alleged to have done), but he hasn't actually done about these concerns that I'm aware of. Maybe if he were a member of an organization empowered to exercise oversight over the executive branch, perhaps even serving on a committee to keep an eye on "Governmental Affairs", McCain might be able to do something substantive. As it is, what can he do? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:

You heard it here first: Blue States Form Climate Alliance After Trump Withdraws From Paris Pact

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Wow. Full marks to them. Is this the first shot, as it were, of the next Civil War?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
McCain is a classic Greek tragedy set in three acts:
McCain 1.0 was reasonable, civil, centrist and incredibly witty. Even when I disagreed with him I liked him
McCain 2.0 emerged in 2008 when, after suffering as the first victim of Karl Roves unethical electioneering practices he decided to throw in his lot with the dark side. Ultimately he didn't have the stomach for it
McCain 3.0 is a grumpy old man who's been battered down by life, sitting on his porch yelling at the kids to get off his lawn

But every now and then we still see glimpses of 1.0. We need him now more than ever

McCain just finished a goodwill tour in Australia and he did a great job of refreshing the Old Alliance, which to be truthful was never in doubt even considering Trump. His speeches, televised live on our 24 hr news channel, were well received and he is considered a great friend of this country.

--------------------
Human

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

On a personal note, I think my kids are thinking I have reached Gramps 3.0 myself. Really can't help it because of pain issues.

Eight states have now joined the US Climate Alliance. Another 11 are expected to join shortly.

News Item: Three labor investigators looking at the Chinese shoe factory that produces shoes for Ivanka Trump clothing line have been arrested. Apparently, the Chinese want to keep on the good graces of Mr. Trump.

News Item Trump has now invited Dutrete to the White House, proving once again the Donald has not met a dictator he hasn't liked. Dutrete is probably going to be charged with crimes against humanity.

Mr Trump keeps saying the world looks at the United States as a loser. No, Mr Trump, the world looks on you as a loser.

The last comment goes to Mr. Trump's own psyche, he has never been accepted by the New York Elite. He has always felt he was considered a loser.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
News Item: Three labor investigators looking at the Chinese shoe factory that produces shoes for Ivanka Trump clothing line have been arrested. Apparently, the Chinese want to keep on the good graces of Mr. Trump.

I suspect it's more along the lines of the Chinese regularly arrest and 'disappear' labor activists, but it made the papers in the West this time because of the Trump connection.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016