homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Historical attitudes to remarriage in Free Churches in the 20th century

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Historical attitudes to remarriage in Free Churches in the 20th century
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While watching Grantchester, with its non-canonical story about Chambers and Amanda taking him away from the Church, I recalled being told by mother that our church, the Congregational Church (before joining with the Presbyterians) occasionally allowed weddings between people who had been divorced. Presumably if they could convince the church that they were in a good state with regard to their faith, and not just wanting a church wedding.
But I was challenged about this, because low churches can be very strong about adherence to the belief that remarriage cannot be justified.
So I am not sure of my memory. Can anyone confirm or deny what I think I recall?

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read that at one time second marriages were more common in the British Methodist Church than first marriages, because divorcees could remarry there when the CofE routinely turned them down.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to clarify the above: there are far fewer Methodist weddings than CofE weddings in any case, because the CofE is the default for non-churchgoers in England. And due to ageing in the demination (see the thread about the demerits of MOTR churches) the number of young(ish) Methodists seeking to solemnise first marriages in Methodist churches has also dropped over time.

This being so, it's easy to see how demand from non-Methodist divorcees would have overtaken demand from people getting married for the first time. But I suspect that the relaxation of the CofE's rules (and especially the modern preference for non-Christian ceremonies) has reduced the demand for Methodist weddings.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny S, I know of at least one couple where that was the case.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember the source, but I encountered once an old newspaper report of a wedding between a prominent local widower somewhere and his late wife's sister after that had been legalised (1907) but at a time when most CofE clergy would not solemnise such weddings. For that reason, the wedding had taken place in a in a Methodist chapel even though I don't think the couple had up until then been Methodists. The report made great play of the widespread public support for the couple in the community.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I've read that at one time second marriages were more common in the British Methodist Church than first marriages, because divorcees could remarry there when the CofE routinely turned them down.

I have certainly picked up a number of couples over the years who were refused marriage in the parish church - not so many lately, though!

My own view is that people who want to marry for a second time (rather than just live together) are usually extremely serious about their commitment.

[ 29. May 2017, 08:32: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many decades ago, I recall a long-divorced woman was refused permission to marry in the baptist church of my youth where she was a long-standing member. There was such disquiet about her holding hands with the man-who-wasn't-her-husband during services that she was essentially hounded out.

I've no idea where she went.

--------------------
arse

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I've also remembered that last year I went to the wedding of one of my father's relatives.

The woman in question had, so my father estimates, already been married twice. The service was held in a Baptist church (probably due to its size) but the bride was a Seventh Day Adventist, as was her groom. I'm not sure if the wedding was conducted by a Baptist or an Adventist, but there seemed to be a number of clergy present.

I have a number of Adventist relatives. They're very particular about their distinctive doctrines, but less so about marriage, it seems. A younger cousin of mine has been divorced and married twice, both times in the SDAC I should think, and remains a very prominent member of her congregation.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

A correction: my young cousin hasn't been divorced twice, only once.

I also know a Pentecostal lady who divorced one Pentecostal pastor and later married another. I don't know how scandalous her divorce or subsequent remarriage were at the time, but her second husband remained in the ministry. Both of them are fairly old now.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right

Congregationalists were unsurprisingly Congregational about this. That is some congregations would have and some congregations would not have. Often each case would have been considered individually. It has to be recalled that historically Congregationalist only offered marriage to members. Therefore all marriages were subject to the pastoral integrity of being a member*. Equally, it was also a matter of ministerial conscience. Actually still is.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was a Congregational church that married Stephen Verney, late suffragan Bishop of Repton, and his second wife; Stephen, then a Canon of Windsor was a widower and his bride a divorcee, hence no CofE wedding.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jengie, that was what I thought the situation was. But it was a time ago, and I'm out of touch.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016