homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » God the Son = Son of God? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: God the Son = Son of God?
Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

- Posted      Profile for Aijalon   Email Aijalon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Aijalon:
Jesus went about speaking of HIMSELF in the second person. Maybe not common but he's no common man, and he had a mysterious mission to do.

So he ends his trip, and spills the full beans.... Bro - I'm him.

He doesn't say, "I'm him" or "I am the Father". That's an interpretation, and there are overwhelming difficulties with it.

The difficulties are not overwhelming, you're exaggerating. Follow me along. The issue is confusion of personification with personhood.

quote:
"I am the Father" would both be easier and clearer things to say than saying 'I am in the Father and the Father is in me,' which is what he actually said.

Insistence on being excessively literal I see. Ok, I grant you that it would be much clearer to say "I am the Father". But then, that would only work for you if Jesus didn't have a reason to be mysterious. Knowing him to be mysterious requires that we explore interpretive possibilities. In order for what Jesus said to be LITERALLY true, the trinity is a logical construction that makes his literal words, true.

I am telling you to simply GET PERSONAL, not literal. Being in the time, place, and context.... having a face to face discussion, and someone says "have you not known ME". That's an eye opener for Phillip - no. If I were Phillip, I would quite naturally conclude that Jesus is not being "literal" with me, he's getting natural and personal. Jesus was saying he was the person of the father, displayed as something else. He was - in disguise.

If someone wore a mask, and then told you who they really were, but didn't take off the mask, would you really be sure of who they were? Phillip could only be sure at a personal level, only through his friendship and relationship to Jesus can Jesus' statement be viewed. Jesus even uses Philip's name in response.
quote:
If he could have said it clearly and in fact said something more complicated then unless there's some good reason to think otherwise he probably meant the more complicated thing.

Probably?! I think the most important thing to address about that statement is the primary assumption that Jesus didn't make it easy to understand. Interpreted literally does necessitate obscurity, and the Trinity appears at first to clear up the obscurity, but I have to reject the imposition of the "could". Because he "could have" been more explicit doesn't equate to requiring us into a complicated trinitarian extrapolation.

At a relational level, his statement was pretty clear. Being as he emptied himself of visible manifested Glory, I find it fitting for him to refer to the Father as his aspect of Glory, and that the Glory was still attributable to him, in his identity, even if not apparent - by saying the Father was in him, and he in the Father. Jesus was saying he is a direct viewpoint of the Father - in person. The Father cannot be "in him" if the Father is in heaven. If they are both within each other, they are the same.

Furthermore, the manner of speech that was in use at that time, (customary talk, idioms, colloquial...) combined with facial expressions and gestures means that we are hopelessly obscured from really grasping the thrust of Jesus words. By stripping it down to merely a recorded text, we are sure to be off track. Body language counts for more than text. Put yourself in Philips shoes - imagine what he had seen, and then imagine Jesus talking to you.

quote:
Given all the times that Jesus prays to the Father one cannot simply identify Jesus with the Father.

Not so fast. odd as it may be for us to see someone praying to themselves.... think on that. Now how would that look to them? Would anyone have credited Jesus with sanity if as a veiled deity he prayed to himself? No! He prayed to what is above. He demonstrated. The Lord's prayer is an example of instructions.

Really though I find the logic of your statement to be massively flawed. You seem to reject Jesus as the person of the Father because this means his manner of prayer doesn't conform to our manner of prayer. Hmmmmm. Who are you making conform to whom? Seems you've assumed Jesus came to conform to all our manner of doing things? Clearly not!

quote:
You have to dismiss far too much of what Jesus says as pretence or playacting.

So this is trouble, I agree. Pretense is a nasty nasty word. It implies something other than genuine or serious behavior, yes? I will meet you where you are on this one. I reject the term pretense, but I find that play acting is a good fit.

Suppose I agree that playacting is accurate. What now? So it was playacting? I find regardless of whether one believes in a Triune-Tri-Person-Single-Being, or a Tri-Dimensional-Single-Person-Being..........it's still playacting either way. In other words, The Triune nature of Jesus in Trinitarian thought still has no need of speeking vocally unless by way of demonstration, since his will is tied perfectly in unison to the other persons.

How can 3 persons have a single will? As another matter to add to the discussion. Jesus eloquently states that he never does his own will - ever - He can only do the Father's will. He's a robot of his Dad by his own admission? [Eek!] [John 5]. So in the end.... I say Jesus has created an interplay dialogue with this person called Father, that ultimately points back to Jesus.

Not going to lie..... I fall on Modalism because it's easier, and simpler. It's all about the PERSONIFICATION of the father.

quote:

(In particular there are times when Jesus says that although the Father knows something he doesn't, which on your reading would be outright falsehoods.)

I know of only one occurrence, perhaps, in terms of the timing of 2nd Coming. In that case I have a valid explanation and it deals with mistranslated. Which other occurrences are you referring to, I don't recall and don't want to assume I have it right where these passages are.

[ 07. June 2017, 14:53: Message edited by: Aijalon ]

--------------------
God gave you free will so you could give it back.

Posts: 200 | From: Kansas City | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brother, expecting God to bend to human logic is a lost cause. He doesn't and he won't.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanesque
Shipmate
# 18785

- Posted      Profile for romanesque     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Trinity is either:
An intrinsic part of Christianity which cannot be valued without a complete understanding of its precise implications, and which it is our duty to deconstruct with all the powers of logic and prayer at our disposal, or,

An expression of the spiritual, creative and physical natures of the deity, especially regarding the personhood of Jesus Christ. A permanent mystery that cannot fully submit to deduction.

[ 07. June 2017, 15:07: Message edited by: romanesque ]

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

- Posted      Profile for Aijalon   Email Aijalon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Brother, expecting God to bend to human logic is a lost cause. He doesn't and he won't.

is this directed at me? I'm being "too logical" ? Please expand on that if indeed you are directing toward my last post.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In order for what Jesus said to be LITERALLY true, the trinity is a logical construction that makes his literal words, true.
Insisting that the evidence we have about God make complete and logical sense to human understanding is a basic mistake in theology. For that matter, it's a basic mistake in science, too--it rests on the assumptions that a) We have all the evidence we need, without missing pieces, and b) we are innately capable of assembling that evidence into a correct paradigm.

I would argue that both a) and b) are dicey when it comes to our understanding of God. He never promised us that we would know and understand everything we want to know and understand. Indeed, he seems to emphasize our inability to understand him, as in the ending to the book of Job. Job's answer is one to keep in mind:

quote:
“I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
6 therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.”

tl;dr version: Don't try to fill in gaps in Scripture with human logic. It never ends well. Accept the gaps and walk cautiously around them.

[ 07. June 2017, 17:00: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aijalon - tl;dr after your first line of empty rhetoric full of vacuous claim: 'The difficulties are not overwhelming, you're exaggerating. Follow me along. The issue is confusion of personification with personhood.'.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
quote:
In order for what Jesus said to be LITERALLY true, the trinity is a logical construction that makes his literal words, true.
Insisting that the evidence we have about God make complete and logical sense to human understanding is a basic mistake in theology. For that matter, it's a basic mistake in science, too--it rests on the assumptions that a) We have all the evidence we need, without missing pieces, and b) we are innately capable of assembling that evidence into a correct paradigm.

I would argue that both a) and b) are dicey when it comes to our understanding of God. He never promised us that we would know and understand everything we want to know and understand. Indeed, he seems to emphasize our inability to understand him, as in the ending to the book of Job. Job's answer is one to keep in mind:

quote:
“I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
6 therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.”

tl;dr version: Don't try to fill in gaps in Scripture with human logic. It never ends well. Accept the gaps and walk cautiously around them.

Firstly, are you sure you understood me? I was pointing out that the Trinity is construction of logical deduction - as usual based on assumptions. I'm pointing out the assumptions are not good ones.

The assumption is - based on human speech patters we are familiar with - Jesus MUST only be speaking of the Father as a different person.

Challenging assumptions is not the same as "being too logical".

I don't see my version of Modalism any more or less logical than Trinitarianism, either. Both have aspects of logic and reason. Both attempt to resolve a mysterious thing.

Secondly, your post seems to just dampen the mood of exploration, generally speaking. As if we aught to settle with "good enough", or as if "Trinitarianism is the best possible answer - even if flawed"

I don't view problem solving as merely a logical quest, nor my arguments excessively based on logical deduction.

If you prefer to fly over my thoughts, or, "the gaps" fine and well.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're not being logical at all.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nor orthodox (neither small o or Big O).

Sounds like Oneness Pentecostalism to me - or the kind of confusion certain megachurch style evangelicals can get themselves into the further they drift from historic creedal Christianity.

Call me old-fashioned ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Jesus went about speaking of HIMSELF in the second person. Maybe not common but he's no common man, and he had a mysterious mission to do.

So he ends his trip, and spills the full beans.... Bro - I'm him.

He doesn't say, "I'm him" or "I am the Father". That's an interpretation, and there are overwhelming difficulties with it.

The difficulties are not overwhelming, you're exaggerating. Follow me along. The issue is confusion of personification with personhood.
I think you are not using personification to mean the generally accepted meaning of the word. I cannot be sure as you do not elaborate upon why you are under the impression that this is the issue.

quote:
"I am the Father" would both be easier and clearer things to say than saying 'I am in the Father and the Father is in me,' which is what he actually said.

Insistence on being excessively literal I see. Ok, I grant you that it would be much clearer to say "I am the Father". But then, that would only work for you if Jesus didn't have a reason to be mysterious. Knowing him to be mysterious requires that we explore interpretive possibilities. In order for what Jesus said to be LITERALLY true, the trinity is a logical construction that makes his literal words, true.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I could equally claim that you are being excessively literal about the saying, 'If you have seen me you have seen the Father'.
In your previous post you described Jesus as at the end of his trip and "So he ends his trip, and spills the full beans.... Bro - I'm him." "Hey, hello! Jesus just told you "it's 'me'"." Now you're saying that he's still being mysterious. If he's still being mysterious he's not spilling the beans and the hey hello! is unwarranted.

quote:
I am telling you to simply GET PERSONAL, not literal. Being in the time, place, and context.... having a face to face discussion, and someone says "have you not known ME".
An ARGUMENT does not suddenly become valid because you put KEY words in CAPITAL LETTERS.
Nor does your argument become more plausible because you hector and badger with phrases like 'I am telling you to'.
The phrase 'Get personal' means 'to start being rude, to use ad hominem arguments'. I don't think that's what you wanted to mean.
None of this persuades me that your interpretation is more likely to be right.

quote:
If I were Phillip, I would quite naturally conclude that Jesus is not being "literal" with me, he's getting natural and personal. Jesus was saying he was the person of the father, displayed as something else.
Yes, but Philip wasn't you.
You appear to be using the words 'natural' and 'personal' as antonyms to 'literal' which they are not.

quote:
Phillip could only be sure at a personal level, only through his friendship and relationship to Jesus can Jesus' statement be viewed. Jesus even uses Philip's name in response.
This does nothing to support your interpretation.
You are not the only person on the Ship to use the word 'relational' as a getout from the business of trying to talk sense.

quote:
Furthermore, the manner of speech that was in use at that time, (customary talk, idioms, colloquial...) combined with facial expressions and gestures means that we are hopelessly obscured from really grasping the thrust of Jesus words. By stripping it down to merely a recorded text, we are sure to be off track. Body language counts for more than text. Put yourself in Philips shoes - imagine what he had seen, and then imagine Jesus talking to you.
Unless your imagination allows you to infallibly recreate scenes you haven't witnessed you have no more access to the body language than anyone else does.

quote:
quote:
Given all the times that Jesus prays to the Father one cannot simply identify Jesus with the Father.

Not so fast. odd as it may be for us to see someone praying to themselves.... think on that. Now how would that look to them? Would anyone have credited Jesus with sanity if as a veiled deity he prayed to himself? No! He prayed to what is above. He demonstrated. The Lord's prayer is an example of instructions.
That might account for the Lord's Prayer which is explicitly an example of a prayer rather than Jesus himself praying. It doesn't deal with any of the instances of Jesus actually praying. There's no need for him to have done so in public on your account.

quote:
Really though I find the logic of your statement to be massively flawed. You seem to reject Jesus as the person of the Father because this means his manner of prayer doesn't conform to our manner of prayer. Hmmmmm. Who are you making conform to whom? Seems you've assumed Jesus came to conform to all our manner of doing things? Clearly not!
Using this argument one could argue anything. For example you say Jesus in the Lord's Prayer is giving us an example. But that's only true if Jesus conforms to our manner of giving us an example.
You try to argue that we should imagine Jesus' body language and take his words as natural and personal, but now you're arguing that Jesus' body language might not conform to our manner of body language and that Jesus's natural and personal might not conform to our manner of natural and personal.

You're relying on Jesus saying 'If you have seen me you have seen the Father'. Now you're saying we can't assume Jesus conforms to our manner of using pronouns. Maybe Jesus meant to say, If I have seen you I have seen the Father. He was saying that Philip was unwittingly the Father.

Your argument is basically taking refuge in nonsense.

quote:
Pretense is a nasty nasty word. It implies something other than genuine or serious behavior, yes? I will meet you where you are on this one. I reject the term pretense, but I find that play acting is a good fit.
Play-act: to behave insincerely, to pretend.

No, your claim that Jesus praying is equally play-acting on the Trinitarian point of view misunderstands the orthodox doctrine of the Incarnation. On the orthodox doctrine he is genuinely a human being who is not the Father, and therefore prays to the Father as a human being. If you're going to worry about the Trinity not needing verbal communication, the same objection really applies to human prayer since God knows all the thoughts of our hearts better than we do anyway.

quote:
It's all about the PERSONIFICATION of the father.
In normal English usage one can only be a personification of an abstract concept. What you're saying here is therefore considerably less clear than you seem to think it is.

quote:

(In particular there are times when Jesus says that although the Father knows something he doesn't, which on your reading would be outright falsehoods.)

I know of only one occurrence, perhaps, in terms of the timing of 2nd Coming. In that case I have a valid explanation and it deals with mistranslated. Which other occurrences are you referring to, I don't recall and don't want to assume I have it right where these passages are. [/QB][/QUOTE]

The second comings are the occasions I'm thinking of. You might come out with your explanation instead of just telling us that you believe you've got one.
There's also the prayer in the Garden where Jesus speaks of having a separate will from the Father.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

Firstly, are you sure you understood me? I was pointing out that the Trinity is construction of logical deduction - as usual based on assumptions. I'm pointing out the assumptions are not good ones.

I'm taking issue with your proposition "The Trinity is a construction of logical deduction," which you said before in different terms. It is not. It is a series of statements which lay out what evidence we have in the Scripture, but refuse to draw conclusions beyond that. Which is why the various Trinitarian creeds are so frustrating for many people. They do not offer answers or explanations. They just say "Here's what we see in Scripture. Deal with it."

This is precisely what you are NOT doing--you are taking the evidence and turning it into a logical pretzel in the hopes of convincing us that there is no difficulty at all, how silly we are for thinking that there's something more complicated than modalism going on.

It's not working.

quote:

The assumption is - based on human speech patters we are familiar with - Jesus MUST only be speaking of the Father as a different person.

Challenging assumptions is not the same as "being too logical".

I'm not calling you "too logical" in a complimentary sense, never fear. I'm referring to your rather amazing attempts to paper over the gaps in support of your position. The activity belongs to the human faculty of logic, although the result is less than impressive.

quote:

I don't see my version of Modalism any more or less logical than Trinitarianism, either. Both have aspects of logic and reason. Both attempt to resolve a mysterious thing.

There again--no, Trinitarianism does not attempt to resolve a mysterious thing. It attempts to describe it--without going beyond the observed evidence (in the text, in this case). It is in fact very like a scientist's description of a new species of beetle. "Here's what we're seeing." No more than that.

quote:

Secondly, your post seems to just dampen the mood of exploration, generally speaking.

Dampening the mood of exploration--well. If you are out in the yard and somebody warns you, "Hey, that's poison ivy, don't touch it"--wouldn't you want your mood of exploration to be dampened at that point?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Dafyd, a labour of love, may your word not return to you empty. In the next life.

Lamb Chopped, perfect qualification.

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
--you are taking the evidence and turning it into a logical pretzel

It's not working.

So I tied you in a knot? But you also say my ideas are unimpressive. I highly doubt I tied you in a logical knot! My points thus far are exceedingly simple actually, so unimpressive is about right. I would actually say that the main thing here is that Modalism is not a new idea, and it merely seeks to retract the Trinitarian definition. Modalism is looking at the picture of God by NOT defining God. It is a more natural view. Trinitarianism seeks to make a definition by way of resolving -or if you prefer to split hairs- navigating gaps in our view of God. Perhaps don't navigate. Go right into the gap, God invited you to jump in. Let's explore the danger together.

Here's me saying, "look at this" evidence. And you looking at the sky saying "stop being so logical" and "you're digging up I hole I very neatly covered up".

quote:
I'm referring to your rather amazing attempts to paper over the gaps in support of your position. The activity belongs to the human faculty of logic, although the result is less than impressive.
You have the air of a professor that scanned a paper, and graded it an F, but didn't give the student a justifiable reason because he found it so distasteful that the student would dare write on such a subject. He tries to be respectful of the young student, but fails on account of his air of loftiness.

quote:
Trinitarianism does not attempt to resolve a mysterious thing. It attempts to describe it--without going beyond the observed evidence (in the text, in this case).
Odd that you would stress "observed evidence" like a scientist of the text, and yet also insist that logic is not what it is about. Who decides on limiting the evidence to what set of things that can be considered in the definition?

quote:
It is in fact very like a scientist's description of a new species of beetle. "Here's what we're seeing." No more than that.
Excellent. And science bases conclusion on observations, yes indeed. If the scientists stop making observations about the beetle too soon, their definition of this species of the beetle could be off the mark.
quote:
"Hey, that's poison ivy, don't touch it"--wouldn't you want your mood of exploration to be dampened at that point?
Not sure I follow, I wonder if you mean that Modalism is dangerous in some heretical sense? This the Holy See looking out for me? Who are you protecting from poison ivy? You? Me? The impressionable youth? What is the danger, sir. Or have I exaggerated your analogy?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

First of all, you need to learn to read for comprehension. I said you were tying the evidence in pretzels, not me into a knot. Given my current state of decrepitude I fear that would be impossible.

Second, you need to learn the difference between "evidence" and "logical argument using evidence in order to reach a conclusion." A description is just that--a description. Start trying to deduce things from that description and you've made it into the realm of logic. Not necessarily in a successful way--but hey, that can be the third thing you study.

As for my supposed air of loftiness--this is actually my amused face, with a bit of gratitude for helping me pass the time. Your tone of gleeful irrationality suggests to me that I'm not going to cause you any personal real-life hurt if I shoot down your arguments. That isn't often the case. So I can have fun playing tether-ball for a bit.

[ 08. June 2017, 17:29: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

I am waiting for to shoot down my arguments, after all I have so much to learn, aren't you here to teach me the error in my logic?

Go on, discuss the evidence.

*this is me with chin in the palms of my two hands, fingers curled, blankly staring at chalkboard and checking my notes*

learn.
evidence.
gaps.
observation/science.
definitions.
learn!
poison-ivy?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Toldja. I'm not doing logic. I'm not interested in arguing about the Trinity. The evidence is there, so take it or leave it.

And you can do your own homework. You're a big boy now.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You're not being logical mate. At all. Lamb Chopped explained it perfectly. You have made up your mind based on nothing but prejudice and ignorant arrogance if not arrogant ignorance. That's me pointing a finger by the way.

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
I think you are not using personification to mean the generally accepted meaning of the word. I cannot be sure as you do not elaborate upon why you are under the impression that this is the issue.

Good point. personification may have been an awkward way of saying it. I am not sure how to describe speaking about yourself in a different place when in fact you are omnipresent. And without question, Jesus explanation of his oneness with the Father is awkwardly understood by the disciples.

I thing Jesus Christ is the expressed personification of the Father, personified in the flesh. I don't even think that the Hebrews would have thought of God as a person in the first place, but in our time we're overly focused importance of individuals.

I'm saying that along the way in the ministry, Jesus was, essentially, play acting. He was/is God, playacting as something lesser. In order to conceal his identity, he spoke of the Father (his own person) externally. Reason being he did not want his followers to initially believe him to be a deity on earth, rather, to continue to direct worship toward God in heaven.

If then, Jesus were God's full person revealed (God personified) yet he wanted to point toward a heavenly view of himself, he would in a sort-of-way be personifying Himself in the other direction (without them realizing). It was the first time God had exposed himself in a personal way to the common man. Prior to that walking or talking with God was limited to a selected few patriarchs and prophets.

quote:
I could equally claim that you are being excessively literal about the saying, 'If you have seen me you have seen the Father'.

So you agree that either way has validity. Good start.

quote:
In your previous post you described Jesus as at the end of his trip and "So he ends his trip, and spills the full beans.... Bro - I'm him." "Hey, hello! Jesus just told you "it's 'me'"." Now you're saying that he's still being mysterious. If he's still being mysterious he's not spilling the beans and the hey hello! is unwarranted.
by remaining mysterious I was only referring to the fact that he had not uncovered any of his Glory. So while he spoke to them more directly - first person - it was still an issue that had to be accept on faith and trust, not because he had proven himself God in a fully demystifying sense.

quote:
quote:
I am telling you to simply GET PERSONAL, not literal. Being in the time, place, and context.... having a face to face discussion, and someone says "have you not known ME".
An ARGUMENT does not suddenly become valid because you put KEY words in CAPITAL LETTERS.
Nor does your argument become more plausible because you hector and badger with phrases like 'I am telling you to'.
The phrase 'Get personal' means 'to start being rude, to use ad hominem arguments'. I don't think that's what you wanted to mean.
None of this persuades me that your interpretation is more likely to be right.

Simply saying that I believe it is paramount that we read the text in a person to person dialogue sense, rather than a text-book sense. IOW, put the words to a play, have them acted out before your eyes and ears, let that impress on you a little more. Take the words at face value directly out of the mouth of Jesus while looking in his face. Capitalizing was intended to accentuate Jesus-in-person. calling it an invitation for ad hominem arguments... I hadn't considered that angle, that's a little base. Maybe I should be prepared for that? Not sure.

quote:
quote:
If I were Phillip, I would quite naturally conclude that Jesus is not being "literal" with me, he's getting natural and personal. Jesus was saying he was the person of the father, displayed as something else.
Yes, but Philip wasn't you.
You appear to be using the words 'natural' and 'personal' as antonyms to 'literal' which they are not.

Maybe all i really need to say is that if I were in Philip's shoes I would naturally conclude Jesus is telling me he IS the Father. That would be hard to accept for me, but had I been there I would have had to consider that it had been said. Philip was seeking, Jesus was revealing to him as Philip was ready to hear.

quote:
quote:
Phillip could only be sure at a personal level, only through his friendship and relationship to Jesus can Jesus' statement be viewed. Jesus even uses Philip's name in response.
This does nothing to support your interpretation.
You are not the only person on the Ship to use the word 'relational' as a getout from the business of trying to talk sense.

I'm only saying that context is important, and a good exegetic requires that we walk along the passage in the shoes of the original audience. There's no "get out" involved, unless I'm trying to avoid some alternative form of exegete based on John's direction as the author for a particular understanding or problem his audience was having, and he was resolving. (more like an exegete of a Pauline Epistle).

This approach is the critical thing on which my interpretation rests. Otherwise, we are left with a literal analysis of the text alone. I think reading the text with emotion is highly important, and as fragile as this point may be to you, my point does require it.

quote:
you have no more access to the body language than anyone else does.
I think we all have a primitive understanding of body language, that's what I'm driving at. I never claimed to have special insight on theirs. I am only saying that we must allow ourselves to access our intrinsic understandings of having one-on-one conversations to best explain the passage. The current thing you seem to support is an overly-limiting viewpoint using text only. That leads to a robotic reading of the text, just what Rome wants! [Frown]

quote:
It doesn't deal with any of the instances of Jesus actually praying. There's no need for him to have done so in public on your account.
I'm not offended at the notion of Jesus as demonstrating, even when he doesn't explicitly say "here's how".

quote:
quote:
Using this argument one could argue anything.
no. not "anything" as that would make it impossible to tell what, if anything, about Jesus was genuine. I'm only saying that the interpersonal dialogue that was on display between Son and Father was uncharacteristic to others, for the simple reason that it would be insanity for others. I think Jesus otherwise walked (well maybe a little louder) and talked and carved wood (maybe a little better) like everyone else.

quote:
For example you say Jesus in the Lord's Prayer is giving us an example. But that's only true if Jesus conforms to our manner of giving us an example. You try to argue that we should imagine Jesus' body language and take his words as natural and personal, but now you're arguing that Jesus' body language might not conform to our manner of body language and that Jesus's natural and personal might not conform to our manner of natural and personal.
grasping -and- a hypothetical argument in my mouth. Scripture does foretell Christ as coming to earth in characteristically human fashion. His manner of birth, his Jewish upbringing, his profession..... There is wonderful evidence for audio visual Jesus Christ as plain old-fashioned 33AD as it could get.

quote:
You're relying on Jesus saying 'If you have seen me you have seen the Father'. Now you're saying we can't assume Jesus conforms to our manner of using pronouns. Maybe Jesus meant to say, If I have seen you I have seen the Father. He was saying that Philip was unwittingly the Father.
disregarding this on account of being ostentatious

quote:
quote:
Pretense is a nasty nasty word. It implies something other than genuine or serious behavior, yes? I will meet you where you are on this one. I reject the term pretense, but I find that play acting is a good fit.
Did Jesus sincerely act as King of the universe - as God? Or not?

quote:
quote:
It's all about the PERSONIFICATION of the father.
In normal English usage one can only be a personification of an abstract concept. What you're saying here is therefore considerably less clear than you seem to think it is.
True, I should have been more clear. I'll say this, in very many ways, God the Father was an abstract concept to Israel, especially in that dark time. Therefore personifying him was one of the purposes Jesus was there for. Just as in our time God is very abstract the farther away we get from viewing Jesus, so with them as well.

quote:

The second comings are the occasions I'm thinking of. You might come out with your explanation instead of just telling us that you believe you've got one.
There's also the prayer in the Garden where Jesus speaks of having a separate will from the Father.

of the second coming in Matt 24, the KJV omits the Son from the verse, it states:
--But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

I will have to get home to get into that one again further as to how the extra bit on the Son is added by other translations and dive back into the textual criticism of the verse. It has been a while.

as far as Jesus in the garden. Prior to this Jesus discusses his use of figurative speech on the subject of the Father (John 16:25)

Nowthen, are we to believe Jesus was not clear as to the mission before him to suffer and die. Did he not know the answer to his prayer? I believe that in his veiled flesh he was acknowledging that suffering and dying was not desirable, was painful, but that it was necessary. It was, at that point, a foregone conclusion, yes? On the end times topic, we don't know the conclusion or timing. But on this subject we have hindsight and doctrine showing us that Jesus was not unwilling, but willing to die, planned on it.

Jesus wasn't just double checking with God on the gameplan. I think this prayer demonstrates the great effort and great sacrifice, not acting, but real, sacrifice that Jesus experienced and put himself through, on our behalf. This was more than a demonstration in words, it was a moment in time when Jesus was quite literally talking-to-himself in a very human way.

I just never did swallow, even before questioning the concept of Triune persons, that Jesus was ACTUALLY having second thoughts.

crude as it may seem.... when you are about to do something daring, might you say something under your breath? "here I go!"

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
You're not being logical mate. At all. Lamb Chopped explained it perfectly. You have made up your mind based on nothing but prejudice and ignorant arrogance if not arrogant ignorance. That's me pointing a finger by the way.

Don't care how you characterize the logic. Disagreements are great.

I do not appreciate the rudeness.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What logic? You aren't or rather your argument isn't using any. From the word go. You are or rather your argument is answering the question as to why the sea is boiling hot using strained empty rhetoric which only Dafyd will read.

Minds immeasurably superior to ours worked for 400 years in response to your modernly mangled ancient heresy and all the others far more cleanly presented than in your presentation which uses incorrect definitions, irrational, personal semantics. You need or rather your argument needs to engage in a superior dialectical antithesis - without wresting scripture for a start, without using every sense except the obvious, the common, without being dependent on twisting meaning out of recognition - to the trinitarian synthesis. Please start at your convenience. Your argument is second rate by a country mile compared to the ancient heretics' arguments. Your argument must use Dafyd's methods. Not screeds of singular waffle unique to your understanding, that no scholar, no reference supports.

Stop making shit up, I say to your personified argument.

In pointing at you I have three fingers pointing back. In my ignorant arrogance I swallowed three heresies before breakfast.

--------------------
Love wins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I thing Jesus Christ is the expressed personification of the Father, personified in the flesh. I don't even think that the Hebrews would have thought of God as a person in the first place, but in our time we're overly focused importance of individuals.
When you say they wouldn't have thought of God as a 'person' what do you mean by 'person'? Human being? Being possessed of intellect and will?
quote:
quote:

So you agree that either way has validity. Good start.
I am granting it for the sake of argument.
Fundamentally, you have to lean on one or two sayings (and even on your reading that saying doesn't expound your position explicitly) and then explain away the mass of contradictory sayings. Whereas the anti-modalist reading can take most of that at face value.
The general rule of interpretation is that the bits of the Bible that are clear explain the bits that are dark, rather than the other way around.
quote:
This approach is the critical thing on which my interpretation rests. Otherwise, we are left with a literal analysis of the text alone. I think reading the text with emotion is highly important, and as fragile as this point may be to you, my point does require it.
Except of course that if you read the text with emotion you see that your interpretation is wrong.
You can feel Jesus trying to find words that will explain a relationship more complicated than simple identity, saying one thing, no, that's a way of putting it not very satisfactory, trying to put it another way.

So: let's grant that you can find a way of reading it emotionally that supports your reading. I can equally find a way of reading it emotionally that supports the standard reading. Trying to appeal to reading emotionally does nothing to prefer your reading over any other.

There are other problems for your reading it emotionally or personally.
Your claim that all of Jesus' second person addresses to the Father are merely demonstrating prayer is simply impossible to maintain if you read the relevant passages with emotion.

quote:
quote:
Did Jesus sincerely act as King of the universe - as God? Or not?
Yes, he did. If you're prepared to recognise that the King of the universe does not hang about in gold and purple roads riding war horses or chariots but is found in the marketplaces and streets riding on a donkey.
Jesus has a fair bit to say on what rulership should look like.

quote:
of the second coming in Matt 24, the KJV omits the Son from the verse, it states:
--But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

I will have to get home to get into that one again further as to how the extra bit on the Son is added by other translations and dive back into the textual criticism of the verse.

It's an application of difficilior lectio (the more difficult reading). Where you have two readings in the ancient manuscipts it's more likely that a later copyist edits out something odd than that a later copyist puts something odd in. In this case, it's more likely that a scribe thought, Jesus says he doesn't know something - that can't be right, and left it out, than that a scribe decided to put it in.

quote:
I just never did swallow, even before questioning the concept of Triune persons, that Jesus was ACTUALLY having second thoughts.
Then try reading the passage emotionally in a personal way, not just in a text-book way, and imagining the body language.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Good point. personification may have been an awkward way of saying it. I am not sure how to describe speaking about yourself in a different place when in fact you are omnipresent.

...I'm saying that along the way in the ministry, Jesus was, essentially, play acting. He was/is God, playacting as something lesser. In order to conceal his identity, he spoke of the Father (his own person) externally.

I believe this reading is based on a faulty understanding of divinity and the nature of the Trinity. Read the prior discussion a page or two back about kenosis. Many/most of us orthodox Christians do not believe Jesus retained the "omnis" when he was on earth. As you note, the gospels certainly don't portray him as having that sort of power/ability, and Phil. 2 seems to be implying that this is part of what it meant for him to "empty himself" and "become a servant." So there is no "play-acting" involved, no deception, no pretense. He wasn't "pretending" to be limited by space & time-- being limited by space and time is inherent to existing in a physical, material body and relating to mortals in a physical, space/time-bound universe. He seems to be limited by space/time because he WAS limited by space/time. He is only able to do/know supernaturally what the Father enabled him to do/know in the moment. His power came-- as he explicitly says on several occasions-- from the Father.

The reason this is so hard for us to grasp is that we have been trained (mostly by Greek philosophy) to define divinity by the "omnis". That's what "being God" means to us-- having the power to be/do/know everything. But I would argue that Phil. 2 suggests and Jesus demonstrates that the "omnis" are secondary attributes, not defining characteristics. They are abilities God has, but not the definition of who God is. The definition of who God is, as Jesus both states explicitly and demonstrates in his life & death, is love.

What is inherent, what is defining, what is immutable about God is that: the divine nature, the divine character. God not only has love or does love, God is love. In Jesus, stripped of the shiny "omni" bits that distract us, this is on full display.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

as far as Jesus in the garden...

Nowthen, are we to believe Jesus was not clear as to the mission before him to suffer and die. Did he not know the answer to his prayer? I believe that in his veiled flesh he was acknowledging that suffering and dying was not desirable, was painful, but that it was necessary. It was, at that point, a foregone conclusion, yes? On the end times topic, we don't know the conclusion or timing. But on this subject we have hindsight and doctrine showing us that Jesus was not unwilling, but willing to die, planned on it.

Jesus wasn't just double checking with God on the gameplan. I think this prayer demonstrates the great effort and great sacrifice, not acting, but real, sacrifice that Jesus experienced and put himself through, on our behalf. This was more than a demonstration in words, it was a moment in time when Jesus was quite literally talking-to-himself in a very human way.

Whereas to me, the notion of Jesus needing to check in with the Father at this moment is entirely credible, given the understanding of the ancient doctrine of kenosis described above. He only knows of the future what God has revealed to Him. He thinks he sees where this is heading and, understandably, it's disturbing. He's wrestling with it. And yet he is submitting himself to the Father's will, trusting in that. He understands his purpose, he shares the divine nature & character with the Father & the Spirit, but in his earthly incarnation is not omniscient and so only knows what is revealed.

quote:

I'll say this, in very many ways, God the Father was an abstract concept to Israel, especially in that dark time. Therefore personifying him was one of the purposes Jesus was there for. Just as in our time God is very abstract the farther away we get from viewing Jesus, so with them as well.

Really??? What evidence do you have to support this???

The OT to my reading reveals a highly personal, very relational God-- one that the Hebrews can argue with, bargain with, badger, cajole, and bitch to when he doesn't seem to them to be coming thru on his promises. What evidence do you have to the contrary? At the moment this assertion seems to be to be pulled straight out of clear blue sky.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, I once organised a poetry reading by a Buddhist poet. After the reading there was a Q&A / discussion time. There were Christians, Jews and Muslims present as well as people of no faith.

Afterwards, one of the Jewish guys observed to me that he found the whole thing interesting but quite 'cold' - Buddhism doesn't have a concept of God in the personal sense. He told me that if Judaism was about anything it was about the idea of a personal, Living God - the One who Is.

I don't know why I was so pleasantly surprised, but I was ...

So, what Cliffdweller said ...

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

The OT to my reading reveals a highly personal, very relational God-- one that the Hebrews can argue with, bargain with, badger, cajole, and bitch to when he doesn't seem to them to be coming thru on his promises.

This is what I like about him. And he's still that way.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cliffdweller wrote:

quote:
quote:

I'll say this, in very many ways, God the Father was an abstract concept to Israel, especially in that dark time. Therefore personifying him was one of the purposes Jesus was there for. Just as in our time God is very abstract the farther away we get from viewing Jesus, so with them as well.

The OT to my reading reveals a highly personal, very relational God-- one that the Hebrews can argue with, bargain with, badger, cajole, and bitch to when he doesn't seem to them to be coming thru on his promises. What evidence do you have to the contrary? At the moment this assertion seems to be to be pulled straight out of clear blue sky.

Well, it's arguable that the OT God is RELATIVELY less personal than various pagan deities who were on offer around the same time eg. The Israelites weren't allowed to create images of him, and he didn't have a wife, family, consorts etc.

[ 10. June 2017, 17:56: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Less human, maybe. Not less personal.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. The formatting came out as kind of confusing there.

This is the paragraph, by Cliffdweller, that I was replying to...

quote:

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

Exactly. I would say the God of the OT Is really quite amazingly personal-- in any terms. Again-- bargaining with God? Complaining to him about his slowness to act? Cajoling him? Badgering him? Trusting him enough to reveal your petty jealousies and revenge fantasies? I don't know about your relationships, but in our house, that's pretty much what "personal relationships" look like.

Still waiting for some evidence otherwise to support A's contention that the Hebrews did not have any notion of a "personal" God.

[ 10. June 2017, 20:08: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
The Israelites weren't allowed to create images of him, and he didn't have a wife, family, consorts etc.

I see how this demonstrates that the Israelite God was different from the gods of their neighbors, but I don't see how it either confirms or denies A's assertion that Yahweh is "less personal". As Lamb said, at best it goes to "not human".

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Exactly. I would say the God of the OT Is really quite amazingly personal-- in any terms. Again-- bargaining with God? Complaining to him about his slowness to act? Cajoling him? Badgering him? Trusting him enough to reveal your petty jealousies and revenge fantasies? I don't know about your relationships, but in our house, that's pretty much what "personal relationships" look like.
Then there's that personal interaction that's foundational to who and what Israel is: wrestling with God.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
The Israelites weren't allowed to create images of him ....

One reason for that could be because God had already created images of himself in the form of each human being. Making images of God detracts from the very personal images we already have (and are).

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Yep, we have "interesting" relationships too. Wouldn't have thought to admit it here... [Snigger]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Yep, we have "interesting" relationships too. Wouldn't have thought to admit it here... [Snigger]

We have teenagers. 'Nuff said.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

So do we. And not all of them are in their teens.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Nice tangent, direction on the God of Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob-Israel, Joseph, Moses et al. Personal. I don't see Baal, Marduk, Osiris, Horus, Anubis, Dagon, Semiramis being quite so ... personal.

--------------------
Love wins

wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just reading Richard Rohr too. Makes you think. I'm enjoying it.
Steve Holmes also wrote a book on the Trinity - brilliant stuff. Paul Fiddes book about the Divine Dance - although you could shoot holes in the allusions - is good theology but dense!
Trinity is difficult and that is why it causes lots of theological arguments and folks often just say it is a mystery which may/may not be a cop out.
Certainly Trinity has very early evidence for Christians accepting it.
If Jesus is just a man how can he then save from sin - but that opens another theological debate.
The philosophical/theological nicities have caused debate from the beginning of Christianity if you read the Early Fathers.
The Cappadocian Fathers wrestled with it and I don't think I could better them. So much depends on definitions and Greek words often have wider semantic areas than English. So exact parallels are difficult.
I am a haggis of little brain and there are those with bigger brains. Not that I don't like wrestling theologically!!!
If Jesus was just a man (even adopted by God) then he wasn't that special, was he, so why worship him?
Anyway - great to debate.
So Happy Trinity Sunday everyone.
Don't fall off your 3 legged stool, squash your egg or start hunting of a 4 leaved shamrocks or stand on each others toes when you enter the eternal dance...........I give up!
How DO you describe indescribable -the Trinity in limited human language? Trinity is God after all. If we can describe him completely, he/she wouldn't be God.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.

Exodus 33 v 11

That's about as personal as it gets.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
quote:

as far as Jesus in the garden...

Whereas to me, the notion of Jesus needing to check in with the Father at this moment is entirely credible, given the understanding of the ancient doctrine of kenosis described above. He only knows of the future what God has revealed to Him. He thinks he sees where this is heading and, understandably, it's disturbing. He's wrestling with it. And yet he is submitting himself to the Father's will, trusting in that. He understands his purpose, he shares the divine nature & character with the Father & the Spirit, but in his earthly incarnation is not omniscient and so only knows what is revealed.
I suppose if kenosis makes the most sense to you, I see what you mean, but I would say the hypostatic union is the better view. I don't see any explicit evidence for kenosis, it is only one way of of viewing Jesus in light of a perceived, or maybe 'apparent' loss of divine attributes. I think it best to explain that the attributes remained, but that they were simply not exercised. Or in other words, his divine power, identity and nature were fully retained, only not exercised.

I believe that the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness is one key point showing his struggle is to refrain from using divine power that he clearly still retained, otherwise how could Satan tempt him? How hard would it be to not use what is part of your innate nature? I think -hard- is the point we were to understand.

quote:
quote:

The OT to my reading reveals a highly personal, very relational God-- one that the Hebrews can argue with, bargain with, badger, cajole, and bitch to when he doesn't seem to them to be coming thru on his promises. What evidence do you have to the contrary? At the moment this assertion seems to be to be pulled straight out of clear blue sky. [/QB]

You took issue with a minor point of evidence. Perhaps not the best evidence, but all I'm saying is that when the Hebrew people had a heart issue, as was the case in that day, we can rightly say they had lost touch with the personal nature of God. Of course the Scriptures point toward a personal God, but as you know the religious paradigm of the day was one of tight regulations and work centered salvation. The leadership and majority had lost touch with the person of God, hence, the minority were the ones able to receive Jesus (God personified).

[ 12. June 2017, 16:00: Message edited by: Aijalon ]

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
quote:
Good point. personification may have been an awkward way of saying it. I am not sure how to describe speaking about yourself in a different place when in fact you are omnipresent.

...I'm saying that along the way in the ministry, Jesus was, essentially, play acting. He was/is God, playacting as something lesser. In order to conceal his identity, he spoke of the Father (his own person) externally.

I believe this reading is based on a faulty understanding of divinity and the nature of the Trinity. Read the prior discussion a page or two back about kenosis. Many/most of us orthodox Christians do not believe Jesus retained the "omnis" when he was on earth. As you note, the gospels certainly don't portray him as having that sort of power/ability, and Phil. 2 seems to be implying that this is part of what it meant for him to "empty himself" and "become a servant." So there is no "play-acting" involved, no deception, no pretense. He wasn't "pretending" to be limited by space & time-- being limited by space and time is inherent to existing in a physical, material body and relating to mortals in a physical, space/time-bound universe. He seems to be limited by space/time because he WAS limited by space/time. He is only able to do/know supernaturally what the Father enabled him to do/know in the moment. His power came-- as he explicitly says on several occasions-- from the Father.

The reason this is so hard for us to grasp is that we have been trained (mostly by Greek philosophy) to define divinity by the "omnis". That's what "being God" means to us-- having the power to be/do/know everything. But I would argue that Phil. 2 suggests and Jesus demonstrates that the "omnis" are secondary attributes, not defining characteristics. They are abilities God has, but not the definition of who God is. The definition of who God is, as Jesus both states explicitly and demonstrates in his life & death, is love.

What is inherent, what is defining, what is immutable about God is that: the divine nature, the divine character. God not only has love or does love, God is love. In Jesus, stripped of the shiny "omni" bits that distract us, this is on full display.

Will need to think more about this one before responding, this is not an easy one. [Smile]

All the best.

A.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Humans don't have omnis. If they do, they ain't human and 'What is not assumed, is not redeemed' as C4th Gregory Nazianzen said.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

quote:
(my response) Really??? What evidence do you have to support this???

quote:
You took issue with a minor point of evidence. Perhaps not the best evidence, but all I'm saying is that when the Hebrew people had a heart issue, as was the case in that day, we can rightly say they had lost touch with the personal nature of God. Of course the Scriptures point toward a personal God, but as you know the religious paradigm of the day was one of tight regulations and work centered salvation. The leadership and majority had lost touch with the person of God, hence, the minority were the ones able to receive Jesus (God personified).

I'm not sure what you mean by "minor point of evidence"-- if you'll reread your original post I think you'll see it was a bit unclear if that was your point. Your comment "I don't even think that the Hebrews would have thought of God as a person in the first place, but in our time we're overly focused importance of individuals... I'll say this, in very many ways, God the Father was an abstract concept to Israel," certainly implied to me and others that the Hebrew people were incapable of understanding God as personal being-- that they had no evidence of this in their oral or written tradition, when in fact the evidence is (as many posters have demonstrated) quite the reverse.

Now your correction seems a bit more understandable-- certainly it is true that Israel at many points deviated (as do we) from what was written in Scripture. And yes, there is a tendency the (and now, among both liberal and conservative Christians) toward rigid regulation and works-righetousness-- although I think that's a bit of an easy stereotype that doesn't really encompass all of what went astray (at times) for Israel-- as well as fails to recognize how very much like fallen Israel we often become. But even given that sketchy stereotype, I don't think it follows that Israel thought of Yahweh as "impersonal". Rather, I'd say it's more like "took God for granted." More like the spouse who has become indifferent or distant, but still "goes thru the motions" of being a good spouse-- remaining sexually chaste, providing financially, etc. I wouldn't say that the problem was that such a neglectful spouse did not conceive of their significant other as "personal" but rather that they were relating to them in a neglectful or even, yes, impersonal way. But that's different than saying they didn't think of their spouse as a person. Again, the very fact that Israel did presume at times on God's grace might be evidence of the fact that it was, first and foremost, a relationship.

As a bit of an aside, I will say that it's easy for us evangelicals to fall into easy stereotypes about "works righteousness" both re ancient Israel, contemporary Judaism and/or liturgical Christianity that don't really reflect the complex, nuanced relationships at play there. And we overlook the very real ways we fall into the same trap, just manifested in different ways. And of course, as Bonhoeffer reminded us, our desire to run away from any whiff of "works righteousness" carries with it the very real danger of "cheap grace". Far better, I think, to think in terms of a healthy understanding of discipleship, where you are moving toward something (the pearl of great price) rather than reacting against something.

But that's probably grist for another thread.

[ 12. June 2017, 18:06: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

I did make my initial point a bit unclear, true there. Was driving at the idea of the deviant Israel, rather than righteous Israel, being as the bulk of the OT stories are aimed at correction of wayward "stiff necked" and wicked unbelieving Israel. Respond further if I can later today.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

And good grist too, I think, Cliffdweller.

Meanwhile, is it just me or am I right in thinking that some posters here have misunderstood kenosis?

What objectors to kenosis have objected to isn't what I've understood by kenosis. Perhaps it's me who has the wrong end of the stick?

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

Not sure yet but looking into the Greek term and I think emptied is a fair enough word in translation but it seems to have carried with it some notion of Jesus as like a bucket that has spilled it's divine qualities.

This isn't the vein in which the term seems to be used, to me.

The word points toward the uselessness of a thing, or of something being made void, it has become useless.

It is not as if divinity can be put in a locker, and then unlocked later. But that seems to be the premise of Kenosis as postulated by some. It seems to presuppose that the nature of anything can be subdivided or parts of it extracted.

Whereas the alternative view is that the nature of something cannot be subtracted from or altered, only hidden.

I think I would default to a view of Phil 2:7 which shows the person of Jesus to have been made valueless, not that his divinity was extracted from his identity. It is simply his identity being obscured by the treatment and behavior of Him as a person-of-no-value (empty of/void of importance).

The empty of "certain qualities" is imposed on the text.

PHIL 2:5 For, let this mind be in you that [is] also in Christ Jesus, 6who, being in the form of God, thought [it] not robbery to be equal to God, 7but did empty himself, the form of a servant having taken, in the likeness of men having been made, 8and in fashion having been found as a man, he humbled himself, -YLT

The purpose of this is to focus us on being Christ-like in mind. We cannot empty ourselves of intrinsic qualities, rather, we are to be of a mind like Christ in our obedience to God through seeing "the fashion" in which Christ was humble.

I would say "empty ourselves" is equivalent to an abstract sense of "lowering ourselves".

The KJV has it less than literal perhaps, but on the money with: "made himself of no reputation"

Chapter 2 of Philippians goes on to explain how it is the "name" of Christ that is glorified now, confirming that the issue is the reputation of Christ being restored to a divine name, not that his qualities were refilled or restored.

(sorry - first refute of kenosis... and had not been really caught up to the whole of this thread, sorry for any repetition of material if offered earlier. If I had time I might have tried to read and catch earlier. Hope this was of use to someone, even for a good grimace!)

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Not sure yet but looking into the Greek term and I think emptied is a fair enough word in translation but it seems to have carried with it some notion of Jesus as like a bucket that has spilled it's divine qualities.

This isn't the vein in which the term seems to be used, to me.

The word points toward the uselessness of a thing, or of something being made void, it has become useless.

It is not as if divinity can be put in a locker, and then unlocked later. But that seems to be the premise of Kenosis as postulated by some. It seems to presuppose that the nature of anything can be subdivided or parts of it extracted.

Whereas the alternative view is that the nature of something cannot be subtracted from or altered, only hidden.

I think I would default to a view of Phil 2:7 which shows the person of Jesus to have been made valueless, not that his divinity was extracted from his identity. It is simply his identity being obscured by the treatment and behavior of Him as a person-of-no-value (empty of/void of importance).

The empty of "certain qualities" is imposed on the text.

PHIL 2:5 For, let this mind be in you that [is] also in Christ Jesus, 6who, being in the form of God, thought [it] not robbery to be equal to God, 7but did empty himself, the form of a servant having taken, in the likeness of men having been made, 8and in fashion having been found as a man, he humbled himself, -YLT

The purpose of this is to focus us on being Christ-like in mind. We cannot empty ourselves of intrinsic qualities, rather, we are to be of a mind like Christ in our obedience to God through seeing "the fashion" in which Christ was humble.

Where we have a dispute is what exactly are the "essential attributes" of divinity.

I would agree that Phil. 2 asserts that Jesus was at all times fully divine, so whatever it is that is essential to divinity, Jesus had it every bit as much in his earthly incarnation as he does in the resurrection.

The question is whether or not the "omnis" are essential divine attributes (as Greek philosophy would suggest) or whether they are merely secondary qualities. I might have, for example, great athletic ability (I don't, but this is hypothetical). If this ability rises to the level of Olympic competition, it might even seem like a defining quality-- the first line in my wiki page, the way people know/remember me. But if I lose that athletic ability thru age, lack of training, or a disabling accident (Christopher Reed comes to mind) I don't cease to be me. Whatever essential qualities make me me are still there-- even if I go thru a period of extended depression or bitterness. Those who know me well will recognize me. I'm still me.

In the same way, if the "omnis" are secondary divine qualities-- abilities but not defining essence-- they can be voluntarily set aside (the voluntary part is essential to the sovereignty of God) without compromising the essential "Godness" of God. This is especially true if that "setting aside" is consistent with what IS the essential, defining qualities-- the essence of what makes God God.

Scripture uses a lot of descriptive words to describe God. But the closest it comes to defining God is when Jesus tells us that God IS love. Again, not that God has love or does love, but rather that God IS love. I believe divine love-- that self-sacrificing, self-emptying love that we can only dimly understand-- is THE defining, essential quality of divinity. It is the thing that Jesus never sets aside. It is the thing that unites the Trinity in a single mind, a single will, a single character. The fact that Jesus temporarily sets aside the "omnis" in order to exist as a human being (something that is incompatible physically with the "omnis") is not an "exception" to divinity but rather the fullest, most complete expression of it.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Jesus did not know who touched Him when the Holy Spirit healed the haemorrhagic woman through Him. He didn't know that the Flood didn't happen. He didn't know that there was a future of thousands of years beyond the fall of Jerusalem. He took two goes to heal a blind man. He used nothing but His wits, some bits of string and the gift of faith healing to defeat the murderous establishment. And He died helplessly alone. Like the rest of us.

Where were the omnis?

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

Mr picky doesn't like the way Jesus does his miracles, making up problems. Seems easy to me that the blind man had his eyes fixed, possibly even replaced, and vision fixed next. Sort of like getting a car to run, then tuning it up.

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
quote:

Where we have a dispute is what exactly are the "essential attributes" of divinity.
Perhaps so.
1) Are we even qualified to draft a complete list of essential divine qualities - I suggest we are not. 2) Suppose we take our best guess, is the text even talking about a variety of the qualities of divinity as far abilities. Again, no.

quote:
I would agree that Phil. 2 asserts that Jesus was at all times fully divine, so whatever it is that is essential to divinity, Jesus had it every bit as much in his earthly incarnation as he does in the resurrection.
Ok.

quote:
The question is whether or not the "omnis" are essential divine attributes (as Greek philosophy would suggest) or whether they are merely secondary qualities.
... if the "omnis" are secondary divine qualities-- abilities but not defining essence-- they can be voluntarily set aside (the voluntary part is essential to the sovereignty of God) without compromising the essential "Godness" of God. This is especially true if that "setting aside" is consistent with what IS the essential, defining qualities-- the essence of what makes God God.

I follow that, I think that makes sense. I am still not in agreement that this is what the text is saying to us, even if that is one possibility.

as I posted earlier, but I think you didn't respond to it because you were capitalizing on the less important part of my post...

"I suppose if kenosis makes the most sense to you, I see what you mean, but I would say the hypostatic union is the better view. I don't see any explicit evidence for kenosis, it is only one way of of viewing Jesus in light of a perceived, or maybe 'apparent' loss of divine attributes. I think it best to explain that the attributes remained, but that they were simply not exercised. Or in other words, his divine power, identity and nature were fully retained, only not exercised.

I believe that the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness is one key point showing his struggle is to refrain from using divine power that he clearly still retained, otherwise how could Satan tempt him? How hard would it be to not use what is part of your innate nature? I think -hard- is the point we were to understand."

quote:
Scripture uses a lot of descriptive words to describe God. But the closest it comes to defining God is when Jesus tells us that God IS love.
I don't think "closest" is accurate, as if that is the one and only essential quality we can see in the text. To list a few possibilities:

He is HOLY and set apart
He is everlasting/life/living water
He is loving, and personal
He is all consuming
He is word (all truth, light)

quote:
Again, not that God has love or does love, but rather that God IS love. I believe divine love-- that self-sacrificing, self-emptying love that we can only dimly understand-- is THE defining, essential quality of divinity.
Stopping at that point alone is an easy stopping point, isn't it. Love requires nothing in return, or does it? We know that Jesus does require something in return from the world he loves.... love is free for a while, but when this life expires on us, will we get in the kingdom for free? If we make that the ONE attribute of God -because we certainly like love, and need love- and yet we ourselves don't love others in return, God's other attributes come into play. Minor example perhaps, don't get carried away - Jesus did whip some people, might have been a brief episode, but I think it is a example of his love invoking other essential attributes. Its a mistake to say that because he is Love, that this is where his "essential" attributes end. Temporally as we observe it, if he's 99 parts love and 1 part wrath, who are we to ignore the wrath as an essential attribute? Once again that old problem of using only our recent observations to define something.

quote:
It is the thing that Jesus never sets aside. It is the thing that unites the Trinity in a single mind, a single will, a single character. The fact that Jesus temporarily sets aside the "omnis" in order to exist as a human being (something that is incompatible physically with the "omnis") is not an "exception" to divinity but rather the fullest, most complete expression of it.
Sure, love is never set aside, no problem. I see how if that is all you consider, it makes the Trinity simpler again, but it's fact to you, but not fact to me. Modalism as I initially understood it was too simple to explain how God was switching "modes" from being in heaven, to being on earth, it didn't explain the "omnis" aspect, rather it (like Trinity) required some kind of dissonance to be accepted by not know where the "omnis" went. So I naturally rejected it on those grounds because I believed that the Omnis were still involved and of course, retained, in heaven. So God didn't set aside omnipotence in a foot locker, and depart for earth. Somewhere, someone is running the universe. So, if we must concentrate on omnipotence generally, God would need a second person to be upstairs managing. The language Jesus uses largely supports that as far as a dialogue with the man upstairs - in light of shedding omnipotence. But, that is derived from a preconceived notion that he did shed parts of his nature to become human. (It's a little like a chicken and egg question) If one supposes that God did not actually remove any quality, but rather added humanity to his other qualities - the trinity falls apart.

Adding qualities is the viewpoint is the one that holds for me now because nowhere do we see evidence of any essential qualities of divinity being removed from Christ, rather only his treatment, behavior and visual representation being of a humble nature. God ADDS to his qualities a human nature (is human nature now an essential quality of his divinity?!) The language of Jesus in the personal talk between him and the father was part of a disguise, required for humility, in order that we as humans in God's likeness might later see that we are also sharing in the Glory and divinity of God through service to Christ as our Lord - heirs of Glory.

I found this view comforting and partly discovered it through exploring the glorification of Christ and particularly as I began to view visions of revelation in a more organic way. The vision points toward heaven merging with earth, the Father, in other words, brings his kingdom here, and the Immortal body of Christ. The material world is ADDED into his kingdom. The whole question is much more about what God added in creation and incarnation, instead of the reverse thing, which is us making it about reduction and division of things. he is here with me, his person, not a third person here with me. The spirit is his person and the father's person. This sits well with me because I feel closer to God by Him being one person. I feel that the personal interaction and dialogue of Jesus points us in that direction, in the direction of a single relationship to God, and to ONE person, not three. The Trinity frustrates that intent, and, I think that it obscures us from seeing and hearing from God clearly.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
as I posted earlier, but I think you didn't respond to it because you were capitalizing on the less important part of my post...

"I suppose if kenosis makes the most sense to you, I see what you mean, but I would say the hypostatic union is the better view. I don't see any explicit evidence for kenosis, it is only one way of of viewing Jesus in light of a perceived, or maybe 'apparent' loss of divine attributes. I think it best to explain that the attributes remained, but that they were simply not exercised. Or in other words, his divine power, identity and nature were fully retained, only not exercised.

I believe that the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness is one key point showing his struggle is to refrain from using divine power that he clearly still retained, otherwise how could Satan tempt him? How hard would it be to not use what is part of your innate nature? I think -hard- is the point we were to understand."

To some degree it's a semantic difference-- both of us agree that the pre- and post-incarnation Christ holds the "omnis". Both of us agree that "giving them up" was a voluntary action. So really it's a question of whether he retained the ability to do a "backsies" while on earth. The difference is your explanation requires "play-acting" on Jesus' part, and means that in several instances when he says explicitly or implicitly that he is only able to know or do what the Father allows he is being at best disingenuous. That doesn't fit as well with Jesus' character as revealed in Scripture. The notion that Jesus "set aside" the "omnis" is a more natural explanation IMHO.

With the caveat that this is beyond my pay grade, I also think it fits better with the physics of things-- that to be a mortal, physical being in a material, physical universe is incompatible with the "omnis".

I think the temptation story fits the kenosis explanation better than the "play-acting" explanation. The text talks about calling upon the angels to protect him-- the idea seems to be that Jesus can call upon the Father or the Father's agents to give him the power to do anything, but not so much that he has that ability in his incarnate state. I would also say the temptations read like a poetic depiction of kenosis itself-- it is an acting out, a living representation, of the choice to "empty himself".

quote:
quote:
Scripture uses a lot of descriptive words to describe God. But the closest it comes to defining God is when Jesus tells us that God IS love.
I don't think "closest" is accurate, as if that is the one and only essential quality we can see in the text. To list a few possibilities:

He is HOLY and set apart
He is everlasting/life/living water
He is loving, and personal
He is all consuming
He is word (all truth, light)

I would agree with all those as defining qualities. Note that none involve the "omnis".

quote:
quote:
Again, not that God has love or does love, but rather that God IS love. I believe divine love-- that self-sacrificing, self-emptying love that we can only dimly understand-- is THE defining, essential quality of divinity.
Stopping at that point alone is an easy stopping point, isn't it. Love requires nothing in return, or does it? We know that Jesus does require something in return from the world he loves.... love is free for a while, but when this life expires on us, will we get in the kingdom for free? If we make that the ONE attribute of God -because we certainly like love, and need love- and yet we ourselves don't love others in return, God's other attributes come into play. Minor example perhaps, don't get carried away - Jesus did whip some people, might have been a brief episode, but I think it is a example of his love invoking other essential attributes. Its a mistake to say that because he is Love, that this is where his "essential" attributes end. Temporally as we observe it, if he's 99 parts love and 1 part wrath, who are we to ignore the wrath as an essential attribute? Once again that old problem of using only our recent observations to define something.

I'm not as eager as you to include "wrath", and find those who are so, so very intent on making sure that stays in the equation... curious. And a tiny bit scary. But that may be a whole 'nother conversation. I would include "holiness" and "justice" as essential attributes. My point wasn't to create an exhaustive list, but simply to note, again, that the closest we get to a defining statement is "God IS love".

quote:
]Sure, love is never set aside, no problem. I see how if that is all you consider, it makes the Trinity simpler again, but it's fact to you, but not fact to me. Modalism as I initially understood it was too simple to explain how God was switching "modes" from being in heaven, to being on earth, it didn't explain the "omnis" aspect, rather it (like Trinity) required some kind of dissonance to be accepted by not know where the "omnis" went. So I naturally rejected it on those grounds because I believed that the Omnis were still involved and of course, retained, in heaven. So God didn't set aside omnipotence in a foot locker, and depart for earth. Somewhere, someone is running the universe. So, if we must concentrate on omnipotence generally, God would need a second person to be upstairs managing. The language Jesus uses largely supports that as far as a dialogue with the man upstairs - in light of shedding omnipotence. But, that is derived from a preconceived notion that he did shed parts of his nature to become human. (It's a little like a chicken and egg question) If one supposes that God did not actually remove any quality, but rather added humanity to his other qualities - the trinity falls apart.

Yes, it is a chicken-and-egg question, but I think you've landed on the wrong end. As you yourself just said, "The language Jesus uses largely supports that as far as a dialogue with the man upstairs". Jesus' actions and words continually, consistently exemplify a degree of both distinction and unity with the Father & the Spirit that is best explained in the traditional Trinitarian formula. There's a reason why all the other options-- including the modalism and Oneness variations you're playing with-- were considered and rejected by the ancient church. The heterodox explanations you're suggesting all require this "play-acting" on Jesus' part. But that seems like a pretty slippery slope to me. Once you begin saying "well, yes, Jesus did say/do X, but he didn't really mean it, he was just pretending..." I think you've undermined the whole gospel record. That's far more than just the difference between literal and figurative interpretation-- it goes to the integrity and truthfulness (one of those essential attributes) of Christ himself.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Son of God is not a superhero; I'm not sure that the mark of divinity is his ability to know the future, read minds, be accurate in a history test or leap a tall building!

The mark of divinity is his essence, his nature, his eternity; he lost none of these things when he 'took on flesh'.

Even if he did 'leave his omnis behind in heaven' - as if they were tools in a toolkit he left at home - that would not mean that he lost or diminished his divinity.
In fact all it tells us for certain is that he didn't use them - we are not given any indication at all that he had lost the abilities.

One point to make, you gave a list of those things he wasn't able to do - e.g. he didn't know who touched him - and yet, in Matthew 9 v 4 we read:
quote:
Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?

It looks like he knew what people thought.
He knew, furthermore, who would betray him.

So maybe he knew more than a normal man would know?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016