homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » God the Son = Son of God? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: God the Son = Son of God?
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

One point to make, you gave a list of those things he wasn't able to do - e.g. he didn't know who touched him - and yet, in Matthew 9 v 4 we read:
quote:
Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?

It looks like he knew what people thought.
He knew, furthermore, who would betray him.

So maybe he knew more than a normal man would know?

Yes-- and yet at other times he explicitly says he doesn't know some things (e.g. when he will return). What the incarnate Jesus seems to exemplify is that he is able to do all things as empowered by the Father. He is able to do miracles when empowered by the Father. He is able to know some things about the future that the Father has revealed to him. He has some amazing capabilities-- but always the supernatural abilities are framed as coming from the Father.

This is helps make sense of Jesus' statement that his followers will be "able to do even greater things" than he did. A pretty audacious and daunting statement! But if you think of it in this way, that we can do anything we are empowered by the Father to do, then it makes sense. We can know what the Father reveals to us. We can do what the Father gives us the power to do. And like Jesus we cannot know anything of the future that God has not revealed to us. Thus we are to follow his example of living our lives in constant dialogue and submission to God.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aijalon:
Mr picky doesn't like the way Jesus does his miracles, making up problems. Seems easy to me that the blind man had his eyes fixed, possibly even replaced, and vision fixed next. Sort of like getting a car to run, then tuning it up.

I love the way Jesus does his miracles, having problems. As with Lazarus.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. But he, being subordinate to the will of the Father, did not divest himself of his divine essence. He was still homoousios - one with the Father.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

- Posted      Profile for Aijalon   Email Aijalon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suggest God was merely relating to man, stooping to his level, when he asked Adam in the Garden -
"where are you".

It was not an indication that God lost track of Adam. ... Was not a GENUINE question as far as being a request for information.

I see the question of "who touched me" as no different. I accepted the use of playacting as a term of use even though it carries with it the modern day color and flavor of a more distasteful word that is frequently used against my position - "disingenuous".

Such a term being used projects on the discussion a fallacy. The fallacy is that we have understood God adequately when he says "XYZ", as soon as we have interpreted the words and expressions literally, and had them examined against some version of sensibility. If an expression seems grate on our sensibility, the tendency is to explain it some other way.

So the whole thing tends to lean back and forth between God being either confusing/nonsensical -or- disingenuous. Both are offensive concepts. I believe the Trinity seeks to prevent us from falling to either side, the side God actually intended his initial audience to go to.

If there is any error or flaw in our proposals, I propose we first resolve our gaps by filling in misunderstandings with more of the impression, or intent, and less of a literal, or even monotone textual analysis. Rationality has a tendency to cause us to impose concepts on the story to try to resolve the perceived problems. I see the Trinity is such a rationality. It is an invention that stops the pendulum swing between nonsense and playacting. But both nonsense and playacting are present in the story!

It really is nonsensical for God to come down to earth in a human form, born of a virgin, all God, and all man. And his speech is often quite nonsensical -in all honesty- to our minds. He actually insisted on being nonsensical when pressed for clearer explanations.

HIM "You must eat my flesh and drink my blood....."
THEM " ' you can't be serious' " (paraphrased)
HIM: " 'no, I'm serious' " (paraphrased)

--------------------
God gave you free will so you could give it back.

Posts: 200 | From: Kansas City | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who's Adam?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
aijalon I'm not sure who your post is directed at. I see you are defending against my suggestion that your position makes Jesus disingenuous. But I don't see the false polarity of "nonsense". Who is presenting or accusing "nonsense"? I don't see anywhere in your last post where you're addressing kenosis

[ 13. June 2017, 20:24: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Mudfrog, if I understand it correctly, kenosis isn't saying that Jesus ceased being one in essence with the Father.

The Trinity is never divided.

I know of no small o or Big O view of kenosis that suggests or involves the 'dismantling' of the Trinity.

I might be wrong but whatever views of kenosis people here are tilting at, they aren't actually what those who espouse kenosis believe.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

- Posted      Profile for Aijalon   Email Aijalon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
aijalon I'm not sure who your post is directed at. I see you are defending against my suggestion that your position makes Jesus disingenuous. But I don't see the false polarity of "nonsense". Who is presenting or accusing "nonsense"? I don't see anywhere in your last post where you're addressing kenosis

I was heading you off at the pass, should you try the same approach others have used when the subject of Jesus being vague pops up. Perhaps not fair to you, I know. Responding to all as I can find the time.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

I was heading you off at the pass, should you try the same approach others have used when the subject of Jesus being vague pops up. Perhaps not fair to you, I know. Responding to all as I can find the time.
But that's not my argument-- at all. I'm not suggesting Jesus was "vague". In fact, my argument is specifically that Jesus was quite explicit (I even used that word) in saying "I can only do what the Father enables me to do" or "I only know what the Father has revealed to me". At the same time he was quite explicit about the unity of the Trinity-- "I and the Father or one", "If you see me, you have seen the Father." I am not arguing that this is "nonsense", although I would of course acknowledge there is a bit of mystery inherent in anything that is so transcendent, so beyond our material universe.

Again, if the post in question was directed toward me I'm not sure AT ALL how it relates to what I am saying, or really if you are tracking at all with the argument I am making. In fact, I'm not sure WHO the post could be directed toward because I don't see anyone here who is arguing in those terms. Yet you seemed to be setting it up as a false binary-- "either you think of Jesus as I do ("playacting") or you think Jesus' words are 'nonsense'". That is a false binary as obviously there are many other options. At least 4 or 5 other options have been argued on this thread-- yet I can't recall anyone arguing for the "nonsense" proposition (OK, maybe Martin... but I'm never quite sure what Martin is arguing...)

Let's stick to the arguments real posters on this thread are making, shall we? Rather than inventing imaginary opponents? The waters are muddy enough when we're talking about the Trinity w/o bringing in a bunch of strawmen.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:
quote:

But that's not my argument-- at all. I'm not suggesting Jesus was "vague". In fact, my argument is specifically that Jesus was quite explicit (I even used that word) in saying "I can only do what the Father enables me to do" or "I only know what the Father has revealed to me". At the same time he was quite explicit about the unity of the Trinity-- "I and the Father or one", "If you see me, you have seen the Father." I am not arguing that this is "nonsense", although I would of course acknowledge there is a bit of mystery inherent in anything that is so transcendent, so beyond our material universe.

Again, if the post in question was directed toward me I'm not sure AT ALL how it relates to what I am saying, or really if you are tracking at all with the argument I am making. In fact, I'm not sure WHO the post could be directed toward because I don't see anyone here who is arguing in those terms. Yet you seemed to be setting it up as a false binary-- "either you think of Jesus as I do ("playacting") or you think Jesus' words are 'nonsense'". That is a false binary as obviously there are many other options. At least 4 or 5 other options have been argued on this thread-- yet I can't recall anyone arguing for the "nonsense" proposition (OK, maybe Martin... but I'm never quite sure what Martin is arguing...)

Let's stick to the arguments real posters on this thread are making, shall we? Rather than inventing imaginary opponents? The waters are muddy enough when we're talking about the Trinity w/o bringing in a bunch of strawmen.

Hmmm. I'm not aware that I've EVER accused Jesus of talking nonsense. I never would.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Good to know! And all the more reason, then, not to go chasing down the "nonsense" rabbit trail since no one is arguing for it.

[ 14. June 2017, 19:50: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

He was constrained by being fully human of course. He couldn't know that the texts were increasingly mythic with age. The oldest text being the book of Job of course. And not historically true. At all. In the slightest. He couldn't know that the Flood never happened and that Adam and Eve never existed, that Babel didn't happen, nor Sodom and Gomorrah or the Exodus. That He hadn't ordered Samuel to commit genocide. He was constrained in what He could know even with supernatural revelation from the Holy Ghost as well of course.

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
The difference is your explanation requires "play-acting" on Jesus' part, and means that in several instances when he says explicitly or implicitly that he is only able to know or do what the Father allows he is being at best disingenuous.
As I was saying, disingenuous basically goes along with it all. Jesus was not behaving or identifying himself as God, spent 30 years as a regular guy, in hiding. What is more disingenuous about a God, than that? The concept of being disingenuous doesn't hurt my position. I'd say it's a fact of the case, a basic premise of the whole situation.
quote:
The difference is your explanation requires "play-acting" on Jesus' part, and means that in several instances when he says explicitly or implicitly that he is only able to know or do what the Father allows he is being at best disingenuous.
The physical universe alone considered, true, my point remains that the Trinue nature of Christ is that his person coexists in multiple dimensions - physical being one. So then as far as the material universe where his person was present invisibly before, it became visibly manifest in mortal form at one location.
quote:
I would also say the temptations read like a poetic depiction of kenosis itself-- it is an acting out, a living representation, of the choice to "empty himself".
I guess it was more of a taunting, than tempting, in that light. One point there, you suggested that Satan wanted Jesus to call on the Father, but the Father isn't mentioned. If you are predetermined to view the story in light of multiple persons, I understand your interp.
quote:
I would agree with all those as defining qualities. Note that none involve the "omnis".
I thought you had said that you agreed that he retained the omnis. So I might be a tad lost as to whether we are talking about kenosis alone, or about kenosis only in light of it being needed to substantiate the Trinity. Kenosis was never my original target, but someone directed me there as far as it seemed to be foundational to the trinity according to those here.
quote:
I'm not as eager as you to include "wrath",
mentioning wrath doesn't make me eager about wrath, or is that merely a slight to me that I'm violent or angry? Again, my counter point is that I simply disagree that God is so neatly defined in just love alone. Excellent place to start when making an introduction of God. It's the first thing to know about God, but still incomplete.
quote:
But that seems like a pretty slippery slope to me. Once you begin saying "well, yes, Jesus did say/do X, but he didn't really mean it, he was just pretending..." I think you've undermined the whole gospel record. But that seems like a pretty slippery slope to me. Once you begin saying "well, yes, Jesus did say/do X, but he didn't really mean it, he was just pretending..." I think you've undermined the whole gospel record.
I guess in a certain light, "pretending" just sort of sounds mean, but it's a terribly wrong characterization of what was going on. Nothing is further from the truth. In fact, had Jesus not pretended to NOT be God, he would have been by nature being mean and impossible to understand. I would submit that without a little pretending, the Gospel would not have launched.

When I speak to my children in a high pitched soft voice, am I pretending? Is that untruthful because it isn't my deeper natural voice?

When I play soft and let them win a game, am I being "fake"?

Jesus was no different with us, his speech represents a softer tone of voice. I am not genuinely wanting to be soft in tone when my children need a lesson. I would rather bark at them. But I know that barking at them is not as effective.

[I earlier wrote]:
I suggest God was merely relating to man, stooping to his level, when he asked Adam in the Garden -
"where are you".

It was not an indication that God lost track of Adam. ... Was not a GENUINE question as far as being a request for information.

I see the question of "who touched me" as no different. I accepted the use of playacting as a term of use even though it carries with it the modern day color and flavor of a more distasteful word that is frequently used against my position - "disingenuous".

Shame on me for every allowing "play acting" as I had figured (wrongly) it would not carry the same definition as "disingenuous". I suppose in my limited vocabulary I don't have a great word to replace it, it's a pretty unique situation.

Seeing you wont let that go... aiming to hit it on the head in terms of the trinity (not merely kenosis).

Being vague is not the same as being untruthful. Attacking play-acting as a character flaw is fallacy because it is like putting Jesus in a box whereby his words must make sense on paper, and, if not, then he's being untruthful. The Trinity makes it possible for the words of Christ to be literally true, with a new concept never introduced in that time slid-into/underneath the context. Without the 3-persons concept, the words are very hard to grasp - obviously, yes? So, knowing that the Trinity was not the view of that time, we should rightly conclude that Jesus -aware of it- was not instructing people to create a whole new viewpoint of God's personhood, but, rather, he was being a little vague - on purpose. He was clear enough to be very frustrating though, he was leading them along toward a very difficult conclusion about his identity and personhood. I don't believe that the intention was to show himself as a different person than God, because he made it much more about one-ness, than three-ness. The three-ness implicit in the speech was, as I hold it, a natural hurldle in his mission to gradually introduce himself as God.

There is no other way to gradually introduce one's self as God in teaching is there? .... without using 2nd person language? I think the story shows his goals of 1) teaching about God, and 2) revealing himself to be God, were accomplished in succession. The former requiring his lessons to include demonstrations and -for lack of a better word- "play-acting". In effect he was -pretending- NOT to be God with most of the people, rather, revealing the higher truth to a limited few, and only as the ability to see the truth grew in them. This, wisely avoids the shock and revulsion factor triggered by an overt statement that he is God. Jesus uses that revulsion as a tactic in preying on the pharisees.

Without the notion of Trinity on the table for Peter and Paul - follow this analogy:
*Bruce Wayne says to the commissioner of police: "Batman and I are one".
The clear implication is that Batman and Bruce are - one and the same

John 10:33 demonstrates Jesus clearly came across as identifying himself as God in person - the same identity. Overbearing on the distinction of the term "Son" of God (as I predict you will do) doesn't work, because it purports that the term Son must equate to a new identity. Rather, the term Son, without the idea of trinity which didn't exist for them, means merely that Jesus humanity carries a temporal identity. In other words, his heavenly identity preceded his human identity and as evident by his humility, his heavenly identity was the greater aspect of his identity.

My position is merely as simple as the nature of what is -understood- by the implicit speech, and the Jews understood it exactly as intended. Removing the idea of the Trinity is to put one's self in the correct context to read the story.

[ 16. June 2017, 16:32: Message edited by: Aijalon ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Aijalon:

Away from office, posting on iPad, making copy feature difficult to use. But your last post really suggests you are Not following my argument for whatever reason. So, just to get us on the same page.

1. Nope. I never said Satan wanted Jesus to call on the Father during his temptation. Nope. Didn't say that, doesn't make any sense

2. Nope. I never said Jesus retained the omnis in his earthly incarnation

3. Think "wrath" is a pretty crappy place to begin talking about a God. Hard to imagine a worse starting point. Do you find that approach successful-- ever???

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
He was constrained by being fully human of course. He couldn't know that the texts were increasingly mythic with age. The oldest text being the book of Job of course. And not historically true. At all. In the slightest. He couldn't know that the Flood never happened and that Adam and Eve never existed, that Babel didn't happen, nor Sodom and Gomorrah or the Exodus. That He hadn't ordered Samuel to commit genocide. He was constrained in what He could know even with supernatural revelation from the Holy Ghost as well of course.

Congratulations once again on demonstrating the power of a fully closed mind. My you be blessed in your blessed ignorance.
Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Don't mistake me for your projection in the mirror.

--------------------
Love wins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
As I was saying, disingenuous basically goes along with it all. Jesus was not behaving or identifying himself as God, spent 30 years as a regular guy, in hiding. What is more disingenuous about a God, than that? The concept of being disingenuous doesn't hurt my position.
The orthodox doctrine of the incarnation is that Jesus was a regular human being.
There's a difference between not mentioning something and actively behaving insincerely.
It's one thing not to volunteer the information that you're an orphan unasked and another thing to carry on a pretend phone call to your father.

quote:
Without the notion of Trinity on the table for Peter and Paul - follow this analogy:

Howabout: Robin says, Batman and I are one.
(Or Superman says, The Justice League are one.)

The clear implication is that Robin and Batman are of one mind or stand as one. Yes, in modern English that's a little awkward as a way to say we're united. But 'Batman and Bruce Wayne are one' is in modern English an awkward way to say 'Batman and Bruce Wayne are the same person'.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I was saying, disingenuous basically goes along with it all. Jesus was not behaving or identifying himself as God, spent 30 years as a regular guy, in hiding. What is more disingenuous about a God, than that? The concept of being disingenuous doesn't hurt my position.

It does if one finds the idea that God could be disingenuous—lacking in sincerity, falsely or hypocrtitically sincere—to be totally inconsistent with the God revealed in Scripture, which I do.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd
quote:

The clear implication is that Robin and Batman are of one mind or stand as one. Yes, in modern English that's a little awkward as a way to say we're united. But 'Batman and Bruce Wayne are one' is in modern English an awkward way to say 'Batman and Bruce Wayne are the same person'.

How about a married couple saying "we are one."

Frankly, it would never occur to me to try to make "the Father and I are one" mean "the Father and I are the same person." I think that's a really hard sell. I would assume in means "the Father and I are united."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:

Congratulations once again on demonstrating the power of a fully closed mind. My you be blessed in your blessed ignorance.
And a mind so open that its brains fall out is good for what? A mind so actually closed to to any but the most wooden, literal, uneducated, anti-intellectual, superstitious, cook book interpretation of 700 years of texts from a crossroads of successive, huge, diverse cultures each with millennia of cultural evolution, as well as its own cultural microclimate.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:

Should I have an open mind about this recipe for genetic engineering? That Jacob knew something 3,500 years ago that we don't?

Genesis 30:37-39 (KJV)

37 And Jacob took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chesnut tree; and pilled white strakes in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.

38 And he set the rods which he had pilled before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink, that they should conceive when they came to drink.

39 And the flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:

Is this a guide for Christian sexual morality? As valid as Ephesians 5:25?

Judges 19 (KJV)

19 And it came to pass in those days, when there was no king in Israel, that there was a certain Levite sojourning on the side of mount Ephraim, who took to him a concubine out of Bethlehemjudah.

2 And his concubine played the whore against him, and went away from him unto her father's house to Bethlehemjudah, and was there four whole months.

3 And her husband arose, and went after her, to speak friendly unto her, and to bring her again, having his servant with him, and a couple of asses: and she brought him into her father's house: and when the father of the damsel saw him, he rejoiced to meet him.

4 And his father in law, the damsel's father, retained him; and he abode with him three days: so they did eat and drink, and lodged there.

5 And it came to pass on the fourth day, when they arose early in the morning, that he rose up to depart: and the damsel's father said unto his son in law, Comfort thine heart with a morsel of bread, and afterward go your way.

6 And they sat down, and did eat and drink both of them together: for the damsel's father had said unto the man, Be content, I pray thee, and tarry all night, and let thine heart be merry.

7 And when the man rose up to depart, his father in law urged him: therefore he lodged there again.

8 And he arose early in the morning on the fifth day to depart; and the damsel's father said, Comfort thine heart, I pray thee. And they tarried until afternoon, and they did eat both of them.

9 And when the man rose up to depart, he, and his concubine, and his servant, his father in law, the damsel's father, said unto him, Behold, now the day draweth toward evening, I pray you tarry all night: behold, the day groweth to an end, lodge here, that thine heart may be merry; and to morrow get you early on your way, that thou mayest go home.

10 But the man would not tarry that night, but he rose up and departed, and came over against Jebus, which is Jerusalem; and there were with him two asses saddled, his concubine also was with him.

11 And when they were by Jebus, the day was far spent; and the servant said unto his master, Come, I pray thee, and let us turn in into this city of the Jebusites, and lodge in it.

12 And his master said unto him, We will not turn aside hither into the city of a stranger, that is not of the children of Israel; we will pass over to Gibeah.

13 And he said unto his servant, Come, and let us draw near to one of these places to lodge all night, in Gibeah, or in Ramah.

14 And they passed on and went their way; and the sun went down upon them when they were by Gibeah, which belongeth to Benjamin.

15 And they turned aside thither, to go in and to lodge in Gibeah: and when he went in, he sat him down in a street of the city: for there was no man that took them into his house to lodging.

16 And, behold, there came an old man from his work out of the field at even, which was also of mount Ephraim; and he sojourned in Gibeah: but the men of the place were Benjamites.

17 And when he had lifted up his eyes, he saw a wayfaring man in the street of the city: and the old man said, Whither goest thou? and whence comest thou?

18 And he said unto him, We are passing from Bethlehemjudah toward the side of mount Ephraim; from thence am I: and I went to Bethlehemjudah, but I am now going to the house of the Lord; and there is no man that receiveth me to house.

19 Yet there is both straw and provender for our asses; and there is bread and wine also for me, and for thy handmaid, and for the young man which is with thy servants: there is no want of any thing.

20 And the old man said, Peace be with thee; howsoever let all thy wants lie upon me; only lodge not in the street.

21 So he brought him into his house, and gave provender unto the asses: and they washed their feet, and did eat and drink.

22 Now as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, and beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.

23 And the man, the master of the house, went out unto them, and said unto them, Nay, my brethren, nay, I pray you, do not so wickedly; seeing that this man is come into mine house, do not this folly.

24 Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing.

25 But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.

26 Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light.

27 And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold.

28 And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her up upon an ass, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place.

29 And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.

30 And it was so, that all that saw it said, There was no such deed done nor seen from the day that the children of Israel came up out of the land of Egypt unto this day: consider of it, take advice, and speak your minds.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Of course not, you'll say, there are 'dispensations'. No?

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Of course not, you'll say, there are 'dispensations'. No?

I don't think there are too many dispensationalists on this board.

I think we're veering even more off track than usual. Biblical interpretation/ literalism/ contradictions/ inspiration surely is another thread/board.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Martin is jousting at Jamat, Cliffdweller. Jamat is a dispensationalist.

But yes, we do seem to wandering off the point ...

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I think Martin is jousting at Jamat, Cliffdweller. Jamat is a dispensationalist.

Ah, yes, that fits.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Ah, yes, that fits.
Yes I am but unsure what he means.
Certainly every bad thing that goes into a Biblical story is not a pattern to emulate..even for a dispensationalist

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thank goodness for that! That God kept changing His mind in step with the cultural evolution of our emotional intelligence. I wonder what He'll make up next?

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
Aijalon:

Away from office, posting on iPad, making copy feature difficult to use. But your last post really suggests you are Not following my argument for whatever reason. So, just to get us on the same page.

1. Nope. I never said Satan wanted Jesus to call on the Father during his temptation. Nope. Didn't say that, doesn't make any sense

3. Think "wrath" is a pretty crappy place to begin talking about a God. Hard to imagine a worse starting point. Do you find that approach successful-- ever???

I suppose you're right, not following some of the things you're saying.

1. I was trying to respond to your assertion that the temptation of Jesus was a display of kenosis itself. Assertion was perceived on my end to mean something toward the threeness/Trinity of God's person. Please recall I'm not arguing for or against Kensis by itself, only as far as it may relate to triune persons. It could be, maybe I'm wrong here too, that to you Jesus being an individual apart from the Father is such a foregone conclusion, that you're not able to see where I'm coming from.

2. YOu had said >> To some degree it's a semantic difference-- both of us agree that the pre- and post-incarnation Christ holds the "omnis". Both of us agree that "giving them up" was a voluntary action. So really it's a question of whether he retained the ability to do a "backsies" while on earth.
I was a little confused by this, but thought that we may simply have different lists of "omnis" and that you were exploring omnis in a way obscure to me. Perhaps you meant to say "post Ascension". In any case, moving on - that's cleared up.

I suppose we agree that Omnis are really a symantic discussion - which is great, it really does't support the idea of one essence in 3persons any more than one person in 3 dimensions.

3. Your third point is just "stick in the mud" talk, no substance there, other than irreverence. You may believe in a teddy bear or boyfriend/girlfriend God if you like.

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
quote:
The orthodox doctrine of the incarnation is that Jesus was a regular human being.
There's a difference between not mentioning something and actively behaving insincerely.
It's one thing not to volunteer the information that you're an orphan unasked and another thing to carry on a pretend phone call to your father.

To be obscure is not to be disingenuous. Jesus never pretended to be something OTHER than who he truly is, rather he directed his followers to look beyond him toward heaven. It was not for simple sake of being confusing, there was a purpose. Why would confusion on the part of the listener necessitate Jesus being disingenuous for fake, it' just doesn't equate.

quote:
quote:

Batman's (God's) identity was never understood to be multi-person by his audience. (Robin, in this instance, would be a messenger, not part of the trinity). [Smile]

Yes, as you say. It could have been less awkward to say that Jesus was either "of one mind" or "are one and the same". but he avoided both of those options. Rather, being obscure - and clearly intentionally, for it was definitely in his power to be crystal clear.

you also cleverly avoided my point, which rests on the fact that God's identity is indistinguishable - as one - to the disciples. This is the critical thing modern notions of the trinity fail on as I see, the context issue. Avoiding the context and concentrating on the scripted hollow text itself, and only that. Jesus said in round-about ways, he and God are indistinguishable - in their essence in mind and will, the disciples understood that toward the end. There is no revelation of Jesus by any hearer - and revelation by the hearer is the method of teaching - that Jesus is a different person. Rather, they hearers begin with the idea of Jesus as a separate person, and Jesus tries to UNDO that concept.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Says the Gospel according to Aijalon ...

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Aijalon:

I suppose you're right, not following some of the things you're saying.

1. I was trying to respond to your assertion that the temptation of Jesus was a display of kenosis itself. Assertion was perceived on my end to mean something toward the threeness/Trinity of God's person. Please recall I'm not arguing for or against Kensis by itself, only as far as it may relate to triune persons. It could be, maybe I'm wrong here too, that to you Jesus being an individual apart from the Father is such a foregone conclusion, that you're not able to see where I'm coming from.

Hmmm... still not following. I never said Satan wanted Jesus to call upon the Father-- and am having trouble seeing how that would figure in to ANY of paradigm of the Godhead.

I did say that the temptation was a good representation of kenosis and Jesus' dependence upon the Father, but I'm not sure how you got from there to Satan wanting him to call on the Father.

fwiw, being a (Trinitarian) Pentecostal, you are not the first Oneness Christian I've conversed with.

quote:
quote:

2. YOu had said >> To some degree it's a semantic difference-- both of us agree that the pre- and post-incarnation Christ holds the "omnis". Both of us agree that "giving them up" was a voluntary action. So really it's a question of whether he retained the ability to do a "backsies" while on earth.
I was a little confused by this, but thought that we may simply have different lists of "omnis" and that you were exploring omnis in a way obscure to me. Perhaps you meant to say "post Ascension". In any case, moving on - that's cleared up.

Agh-- yes, I meant post-ascension. My bad. Thanks for the correction, mystery solved.

quote:
quote:

3. Your third point is just "stick in the mud" talk, no substance there, other than irreverence. You may believe in a teddy bear or boyfriend/girlfriend God if you like.
Well, yes, I suppose that's true-- what we believe about God's nature is not as important as the true reality of God's nature. And if God truly is a wrathful, vengeful, bully we're probably better off being forewarned. Fortunately for me, I don't believe that is the case. It is not my experience of God, nor is it what I learn of God from what he has revealed thru Christ.

But my comment was in response to your remark that "wrath" was the most important "starting point"-- that it's important that "seekers" begin by understanding God's wrath before learning the rest of what we know about God.

I find the fact that you would think that to be both wholly insane and incredibly sad.

[ 19. June 2017, 22:49: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

To be obscure is not to be disingenuous.
I think that undermines your argument rather than supports it.
The exchange as I understand it has gone like this:
ME: If Jesus is the same person as the Father then Jesus is outright pretending when he prays in public to the Father.
YOU: Even on the Trinitarian account Jesus is pretending not to be God, so he's pretending on both accounts.
ME: There's a difference between not telling everyone everything (being obscure) and pretending something that's not true.
YOU: No, there's a difference between not telling everyone everything (being obscure) and pretending something that's not true.

quote:
Jesus never pretended to be something OTHER than who he truly is, rather he directed his followers to look beyond him toward heaven. It was not for simple sake of being confusing, there was a purpose. Why would confusion on the part of the listener necessitate Jesus being disingenuous for fake, it' just doesn't equate.
If talking out loud as if to someone else when there isn't a someone else doesn't count as pretending then nothing does. You seem to think anything short of an explicit lie doesn't count.
It's not confusion on the part of the listener if it's a reasonable reaction to what they hear.

And the point of the incarnation is not that people should look beyond God to heaven. There's no point in looking to heaven when God is on earth.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Batman's (God's) identity was never understood to be multi-person by his audience. (Robin, in this instance, would be a messenger, not part of the trinity).
Given that the Old Testament talks about God's wisdom as if it is someone other than God, I'm not so sure about that first sentence.
Robin would not be a messenger. I don't know where you get that from. Superman in my other example would be part of the Justice League.

quote:
you also cleverly avoided my point, which rests on the fact that God's identity is indistinguishable - as one - to the disciples.
Oh if only I had been able to find a point to avoid.
'God's identity is indistinguishable to the disciples' is not good English. (Glossing 'indistinguishable' as 'as one' doesn't make things better.) Something has to be indistinguishable from something else (or something notionally something else).
So here you are trying to say your point is resting on something and your statement of that something your point is resting on is complete nonsense.

Too many of your paragraphs are trains of association that don't seem to me to show what you seem to think they show and freighted with big words like 'indistinguishable' that aren't being used in the ways they're used in normal English.
That makes it hard to tell whether there's a point buried in there somewhere.

quote:
This is the critical thing modern notions of the trinity fail on as I see, the context issue. Jesus said in round-about ways, he and God are indistinguishable - in their essence in mind and will, the disciples understood that toward the end. There is no revelation of Jesus by any hearer - and revelation by the hearer is the method of teaching - that Jesus is a different person. Rather, they hearers begin with the idea of Jesus as a separate person, and Jesus tries to UNDO that concept.
The start of this paragraph seems to me to be saying, 'any argument that uses the word 'context' must be true, I've used the word 'context', my argument must be true'.
The middle of this paragraph about revelation and teaching and hearing is word salad. In so far as there are gleams of sense in it, they aren't true.
The final sentence makes sense but doesn't follow from anything you've said.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

A masterclass of reason, good for its own sake, not that it can ever heal the source.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

quote:
(Originally posted by Aijalon:) This is the critical thing modern notions of the trinity fail on as I see, the context issue. Jesus said in round-about ways, he and God are indistinguishable - in their essence in mind and will, the disciples understood that toward the end. There is no revelation of Jesus by any hearer - and revelation by the hearer is the method of teaching - that Jesus is a different person. Rather, they hearers begin with the idea of Jesus as a separate person, and Jesus tries to UNDO that concept.
The start of this paragraph seems to me to be saying, 'any argument that uses the word 'context' must be true, I've used the word 'context', my argument must be true'.
The middle of this paragraph about revelation and teaching and hearing is word salad. In so far as there are gleams of sense in it, they aren't true.
The final sentence makes sense but doesn't follow from anything you've said.

Bingo. Expert diagnosis for those with ears to hear.

[ 20. June 2017, 14:44: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And an entry in the Quotesfile!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
It's not confusion on the part of the listener if it's a reasonable reaction to what they hear.
That's just a totally false statement. A algebra student cannot blame the teacher for his own confusion at the start of a semester. The teacher will clearly point to the student's ignorance of the subject as the source of confusion.

No one would blame an incomplete puzzle for being confusing, the confusion is an incomplete view of the puzzle, wait for the picture to come together.

So too with Jesus' teaching. His patern of speech doesn't start with "pray to me" because that would have driven off his own followers. Rather, it began with "pray to the Father".

But today you and I pray to Jesus Christ. The puzzle is complete.

As to the rest of what you wrote about my "word salad" I won't bother to respond as you didn't really care to address anything directly. Nothing said was that hard for you. But just throw out crass criticism, I see the exit sign, I'll just leave so you may continue to discuss the pointless answers to the pointless question of whether Jesus is #1/#2or#3 in the Trinity. [Big Grin]

[ 20. June 2017, 20:29: Message edited by: Aijalon ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Typical.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

It wasn't just Dafyd who noticed the word salad.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:
That's just a totally false statement. A algebra student cannot blame the teacher for his own confusion at the start of a semester. The teacher will clearly point to the student's ignorance of the subject as the source of confusion.
Has anyone ever successfully taught you algebra?
This has not got anything to do with good teaching practice. But really I think your analogy is so out of alignment with the question of Jesus praying to the Father that it is impossible for me to address it at all.

quote:
No one would blame an incomplete puzzle for being confusing, the confusion is an incomplete view of the puzzle, wait for the picture to come together.
The picture won't come together if you wait.
You're talking as if the person who sets the puzzle solves it while the puzzle-solver watches. That's not how puzzles work.

quote:
So too with Jesus' teaching. His patern of speech doesn't start with "pray to me" because that would have driven off his own followers. Rather, it began with "pray to the Father".
We're not talking about whom Jesus tells the disciples to pray to. We're talking about whom Jesus prays to when he's not telling the disciples
that he's giving them instructions.

This would be like an algebra teacher telling the class that quadratics only have one solution.

quote:
As to the rest of what you wrote about my "word salad" I won't bother to respond as you didn't really care to address anything directly. Nothing said was that hard for you.
My point was that I couldn't address anything directly. You didn't care enough to write anything that could be directly addressed.

Consider: you wrote:
quote:
There is no revelation of Jesus by any hearer
People hearing don't reveal anything. Things are revealed to hearers, not by hearers. Did you mean, "There is no revelation by Jesus to any hearer"? I don't know, and why should I care when you clearly don't care enough to make it clear.
You're right: nothing said was that hard. It was that sloppy.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

It's not true word salad of course. That would be forgivable. This is just endlessly bad rhetoric. Fear is the key, but it's endless, unassuagable till death or, as in my case, till the authority deconstructs itself. As there is no authority here that can do that, that can't happen. Reason cannot replace, fill the infinite gaping maw of unreason.

[ 20. June 2017, 22:42: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a lot of crunching in this thread, but it isn't really salad. It's nuts.

I think pizza works better than salad actually. God is the crust, the Holy Spirit is the cheese and Jesus is the sauce. Though if Christ is the True Foundation perhaps he's the crust. And maybe God's the Big Cheese; admittedly some cheeses are too strong for my taste. But I think the HS is definitely the sauce, I don't want very much, it mustn't be too spicy and there mustn't be too much.

The problem with pizza is that weirdos put things like pineapple on it. Like my godless Pentecostal pineappling sister. Probably Presbyterians and Lutherans etc put other odd things on their's. I know there's definitely too much oregano sometimes.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
There's a lot of crunching in this thread, but it isn't really salad. It's nuts.

I think pizza works better than salad actually. God is the crust, the Holy Spirit is the cheese and Jesus is the sauce. Though if Christ is the True Foundation perhaps he's the crust. And maybe God's the Big Cheese; admittedly some cheeses are too strong for my taste. But I think the HS is definitely the sauce, I don't want very much, it mustn't be too spicy and there mustn't be too much.

The problem with pizza is that weirdos put things like pineapple on it. Like my godless Pentecostal pineappling sister. Probably Presbyterians and Lutherans etc put other odd things on their's. I know there's definitely too much oregano sometimes.

So the cheese and the sauce aren't God? What heresy is this?! Unipizzarism?

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Pizzarianism, Pizzapneumatomachianism, Pizzamonarchianism, Pizzasabellianism at least.

--------------------
Love wins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Aijalon: is English your first language? If it's not that would explain why you don't always quite make sense. If you say so we can try to make allowances for not always communicating with each other.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'll wager it is. He's multiply separated from us by it.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Pizzarianism, Pizzapneumatomachianism, Pizzamonarchianism, Pizzasabellianism at least.

[Snigger]

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
quote:
quote:
This has not got anything to do with good teaching practice. But really I think your analogy is so out of alignment with the question of Jesus praying to the Father that it is impossible for me to address it at all.

quote:
You're talking as if the person who sets the puzzle solves it while the puzzle-solver watches. That's not how puzzles work.

quote:
We're not talking about whom Jesus tells the disciples to pray to. We're talking about whom Jesus prays to when he's not telling the disciples

This would be like an algebra teacher telling the class that quadratics only have one solution.

quote:
As to the rest of what you wrote about my "word salad" I won't bother to respond as you didn't really care to address anything directly. Nothing said was that hard for you.
My point was that I couldn't address anything directly. You didn't care enough to write anything that could be directly addressed.

quote:
People hearing don't reveal anything. Things are revealed to hearers, not by hearers. Did you mean, "There is no revelation by Jesus to any hearer"? I don't know, and why should I care when you clearly don't care enough to make it clear.

You don't really seem serious about anything but dissecting hairs. The point of the analogy is to -in general- refute your false statement. You behave as if everything Jesus said was to be taken only as far as a reasonable person could draw a conclusion. Of course it is reasonable to consider the Father and Jesus as different persons based on his pattern of speech, it is reasonable because that is normal. But nothing is normal about Jesus and his Father's relationship. So what is common and normal cannot prove anything for you. "Reasonable" does not equate to proof of your position. I'm trying to tell you the storyline shows Jesus leading people toward an UNreasonable conclusion.

Jesus praying is at all times instructive for those hearing, even when it isn't recorded that he said "this is for your instruction". This is pretty clear in that these things were recorded and written for our benefit, and we learn from it. In fact, I would argue that in the case of play acting, it is actually the best kind of instruction (best acting) when you cannot tell that person is acting. There is something fake about a mere "demonstration", versus an actual live exercise. Like the difference between target practice and actually hunting.

In addition, hearing is instructive. TBH I feel that you are just playing hard to get, so as to make it seem my point is stupid, make me repeat myself in different ways so you can then mince my words, I will get in the dirt and explain it even more tediously.

The Gospels are narrative..... the hearer is put in the narrative for our instruction. What is understood by the hearers of the story are written down for our instruction. The response of those hearing him, give us revelation.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Jesus praying is at all times instructive for those hearing, even when it isn't recorded that he said "this is for your instruction". This is pretty clear in that these things were recorded and written for our benefit, and we learn from it. In fact, I would argue that in the case of play acting, it is actually the best kind of instruction (best acting) when you cannot tell that person is acting. There is something fake about a mere "demonstration", versus an actual live exercise. Like the difference between target practice and actually hunting.

But here you're not talking about enacting the reality (e.g. demonstrating the real way you hunt) but rather a fabrication-- you're talking about Jesus pretending things are one way (some distinction between himself and the Father) when in fact they are something quite different. That's not "demonstration", that's a deliberate misleading. If I "demonstrate" hunting by wearing bright colors, making a lot of noise, and showing how after shooting it the deer walks away unharmed afterwards, I'm not "demonstrating", I'm perpetuating a fallacy.

quote:

The Gospels are narrative..... the hearer is put in the narrative for our instruction. What is understood by the hearers of the story are written down for our instruction. The response of those hearing him, give us revelation.

And what does the evidence suggest Jesus' hearers thought when Jesus said "I and the Father are one"? Why do you think John includes this in his gospel-- what did John intend us to think when we read it?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You don't really seem serious about anything but dissecting hairs. The point of the analogy is to -in general- refute your false statement. You behave as if everything Jesus said was to be taken only as far as a reasonable person could draw a conclusion. Of course it is reasonable to consider the Father and Jesus as different persons based on his pattern of speech, it is reasonable because that is normal. But nothing is normal about Jesus and his Father's relationship. So what is common and normal cannot prove anything for you. "Reasonable" does not equate to proof of your position. I'm trying to tell you the storyline shows Jesus leading people toward an UNreasonable conclusion.

In addition, hearing is instructive. TBH I feel that you are just playing hard to get, so as to make it seem my point is stupid, make me repeat myself in different ways so you can then mince my words, I will get in the dirt and explain it even more tediously.

What?

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're going to need an extremely large quantity of beer with this pizza my friends. Or maybe Jesus can change water into GIN this time around. Bapistries full of the stuff.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016