homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Warnings & scaremongering (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Warnings & scaremongering
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm an engineer. I'm alarmed to see in Eutychus's links that a number of blocks around the world have gone up like this already. In those links there's also discussion that 'Class O' - the highest class of fire retardant in UK regs - can. in some circumstances, be equivalent to properties of 'normal combustibility' in (eg) DIN standards.

It alarms me that we've known for 30+ years that polystyrene tiles on our home ceilings were a really bad 70s innovation that we should get rid of - but that there are circumstances where we use it (and other plastics which burn) today for thermal insulation on the outside of *tall* buildings.

Sprinklers appear to have saved lives abroad by slowing what happens when the inferno outside your window melts the UPVC, your window falls out, and the fire starts to come in and consume your flat.

But that cladding turns the tower into more than a chimney, it turns it into a f*cking *burner* - the updraught in the condensation gap between the fascia and the insulation accelerates the combustion of the fuel (the whole thing) like the forced-air oil-burner I made for a crucible furnace. Short of blowing it with pure oxygen, it would be hard to get it to burn any faster. And you're living inside it.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monbiot is spot on. And aluminium burns worse than hellfire in the right conditions, in the presence of rust for example. Your description, mark, is all too convincing.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the presence of oxygen (especially forced draught) and a source of heat, the only things which don't burn are Things Which Don't Burn. Like concrete, or bricks, or sand. Wet phone directories will burn with enough heat and air.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Also: we're all blaming the cladding, probably rightly. What we may be forgetting is that even aluminium has a fairly low burning temperature, although much higher than the plastic.

Those of a certain age will remember the Falklands War, and how warships made with lightweight aluminium superstructure fared against air-to-sea missiles.

The answer being "poorly".

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a blast furnace operator, when all else failed, I used a thermic lance; burning steel. To evaporate concrete.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Building Regs are a devolved matter, that's why they are different in Wales.

I suspect that the models used for standard fires will be found wanting. The advice to stay in your flat is probably right for most fires - each compartment should (I think, I'm not an expert and will gladly bow to greater knowledge) be good for 90 minutes in residential property.

M.

[ 16. June 2017, 05:33: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The standard fire advice is a bit more complicated. When planning fire safety for living accommodation:
  • plan two safe exits so you can avoid fires and escape;
  • agree a meeting point away from the building
  • decide on a safe zone for if you are stuck and cannot leave, that room should have a phone and be barricaded against the fire
I can't find the links now, and I need to stop playing, but it's part of the PSE personal safety unit I teach / and have put together for teaching.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummm - PSE meaning please? Nothing quickly shows up beyond such things as Philippine Stock Exchange.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent>Personal Social Education, often called PSHE or PSHCEE - personal, social, health, careers, employment education. That qualification is specifically the AQA 5800 PSE Award or Certificate (AQA is an exam board, and whether students achieve an award or a certificate depends on the number of units completed)</tangent>

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{From a cross-Pond perspective. YMMV.}

--Sprinklers: They can be retro-fitted into a building. I've lived in this building for a long time, and I think it's at least 100 years old. Sprinklers weren't put in until the 1990s, after the 1989 earthquake. There was a lot of work to improve building safety all over town. The walls were reinforced, too.

--Staircase: Building a very tall apartment house with only one staircase? I haven't heard, but I'm guessing there were no fire escapes attached to the outside of the building?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

--Sprinklers: They can be retro-fitted into a building. I've lived in this building for a long time, and I think it's at least 100 years old. Sprinklers weren't put in until the 1990s, after the 1989 earthquake. There was a lot of work to improve building safety all over town. The walls were reinforced, too.

I think the issue here is that there was a question about water pressure and also about the effectiveness of sprinklers. There was a belief that any fire would be localised and so if people stayed inside their flats they wouldn't be affected and that building-wide sprinklers wouldn't make a lot of difference.

This could be wrong, but this is what I've understood from the various reports. I don't know how or why this might be different advice to that given in other countries.

quote:
--Staircase: Building a very tall apartment house with only one staircase? I haven't heard, but I'm guessing there were no fire escapes attached to the outside of the building?
As I understand the diagrams I've seen, there was only one staircase to one side of the building.

--------------------
arse

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Monbiot is spot on. And aluminium burns worse than hellfire in the right conditions, in the presence of rust for example. Your description, mark, is all too convincing.

Even the Twin Towers didn't go up like that Tower Block despite having tons of aviation fuel igniting. This was just a kitchen fire from a faulty appliance FFS.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Even the Twin Towers didn't go up like that Tower Block despite having tons of aviation fuel igniting. This was just a kitchen fire from a faulty appliance FFS.
Sprinklers would have put out the fridge fire before it could spread.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it there are two philosophies in fire protection, active and passive protection.

Active systems can also fail or be wrongly triggered, so they have their disadvantages.

The UK's philosophy is passive protection, i.e. the building is designed to withstand and contain a fire. In theory an apartment fire should be contained inside the apartment.

The primary cause of the rapid spread of this fire appears to be the use of core insulation in the outer cladding which, as has been stated upthread, inexplicably seems to have received a better fire rating in the UK than in many other EU countries, despite being of a markedly different composition to alternative products by the same manufacturer.

It could not have been used in, say, Croatia, on a building this tall.

It looks as though inadequate or faulty alarm systems and blocked escape routes made things worse.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
<tangent>Personal Social Education, often called PSHE or PSHCEE - personal, social, health, careers, employment education. That qualification is specifically the AQA 5800 PSE Award or Certificate (AQA is an exam board, and whether students achieve an award or a certificate depends on the number of units completed)</tangent>

Thanks.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Exploding fridges can be pretty spectacular and electrical fires move FAST (like a quarter of the speed of light) in to the wall, behind reach of the sprinkler: this fire went from internal to external in a flash. Apparently, anecdotally, no one has died in a fire where (one-at-a-time heat activated) sprinklers were activated (however I've seen one figure of 65% reduction), but I wouldn't be surprised that that would break down in a situation like this where inflammable polyethylene lined cladding, polystyrene insulation and UPVC with nylon window frames are involved. All of that has GOT to stop. One can imagine a situation where rooms are soused by sprinklers but the burning cladding still takes the windows out and fills rooms with hot toxic smoke. Eventually the water will run out and as mark said, wet telephone directories burn.

How about ensuring external layers are irrigated too?

--------------------
Love wins

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be content with a sprinkler system buying the occupants enough time (and enough clear air) to evacuate the building.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus, that's interesting, because presumably both active and passive systems are allowed by the Eurocodes if both systems are used? I admit my understanding of the Eurocodes is a bit hazy.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mr cheesy--

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
As I understand the diagrams I've seen, there was only one staircase to one side of the building.
Hmmm...the news reports I've heard (generally on NPR, and possibly PBS, and possibly ABC's "World News Now") have repeatedly spoken of one staircase *for the entire building*. IIRC, this included British reporters, and various people questioned in Britain.

FWIW.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I'd be content with a sprinkler system buying the occupants enough time (and enough clear air) to evacuate the building.

Indeed. The cladding may well have been the accelerant that turned a one-flat fire into a towering inferno, but with a decent sprinkler system in place and operational the residents should still have had plenty of time to get down the stairwell and out before the fire melted its way through the windows into their flats.

My evidence for this claim is the other fires of this nature where that is exactly what happened. Identical cladding, identical buildings, identical damage, no deaths. The cladding may be the reason why the building went up like kindling, but it's not the reason so many people died.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
mr cheesy--

quote:
quote:
Hmmm...the news reports I've heard (generally on NPR, and possibly PBS, and possibly ABC's "World News Now") have repeatedly spoken of one staircase *for the entire building*. IIRC, this included British reporters, and various people questioned in Britain.

FWIW.

That's what Mr C said...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

FWIW.

Yes. There is a single staircase off-set to one side. Which is unfortunate given the way that the fire spread. I don't know if it would have been safer if the staircase had been centrally positioned, but it feels like it might have been.

Which is to say that I don't think there were other fire escapes than the main staircase.

[ 16. June 2017, 10:59: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

rolyn--

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Actually, when I first saw film of the London apartment building on fire, I immediately thought of the Twin Towers--from the look. Some early news reports said the London building might collapse--which the Twin Towers actually did, IIRC.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

betjemaniac and mr cheesy--

Sorry, it sounded to me like mr cheesy might have meant one staircase on each side of the building.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes. There is a single staircase off-set to one side.

Not much to one side, though.

Grenfell Tower floor plan (taken from the BBC)

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Yes. There is a single staircase off-set to one side.

Not much to one side, though.

Grenfell Tower floor plan (taken from the BBC)

That's interesting and wasn't the impression I got from looking at diagrams and hearing an interview with someone who was asked specifically about this and said the staircase was to one side.

According to the diagram above, the stairs were more-or-less central.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I think there is something more to be said about the state of civil society and the press in the wake of this tragedy. Without repeating what I've already said, there is still a very weird attitude around. The council still seems to be doing the absolute minimum possible to give assistance to victims and the press seems to be conspiring to downplay the seriousness of this incident.

Lily Allen - of all people - said yesterday that she believed there were more than 150 victims based on conversations with families. And yet the official death toll is still around 30.*

This morning the BBC did an unofficial estimate of victims being in the 70s. I still frankly can't understand why it is so hard for someone to get the names from families and publish them - surely this would assist with finding lost people in hospitals or elsewhere.

Yes, I suppose there is a risk that someone is named as missing who isn't. But that seems inconsequential compared to the potential benefits of finding someone alive who had been misplaced.

The other possibility, I suppose, is that there were a large number of people in the block who were - for whatever reason - off the radar. Which is a horrible thought.

* and apparently a significant number of those were bodies found outside the building.

--------------------
arse

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't agree with you that the Press are keeping quiet on this. However I certainly do agree that the Council and the Management Company have been keeping very low, possibly because they don't want to say anything that could be construed as an admission of liability.

As far as the victims are concerned, I think it's normal practice only to formally announce the number of known dead. Certainly at least one newspaper this morning had banner headlines suggesting a toll of 100+, which is sadly likely. The BBC are now saying that 76 are "missing" at least.

Sadly I do think that a lot of folk will be off the radar, partly because of Eid which means that Muslim families may have relatives staying with them (or may have gone away themselves). Equally I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover sofa-surfing and illegal sub-letting going on. This isn't to condemn, simply to point out the actuality. It may well be too that there are visitors to Britain whose death will only be noticed when they fail to make contact or return home. This isn't like an air crash where there are passenger lists.

One more thought: if this had happened a week or two ago, it would have cost May the election.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

It'll cost her the next one. But I don't think she'll be around to face it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We'll see, I'm hopeful - again.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's because I'm now living in South Wales, but I am now starting to make connections with the Aberfan disaster. Why? Because there was a known problem which was treated far too lightly, because local residents had made complaints to officialdom about safety which had fallen on deaf ears, most of all because innocent (and largely poor) lives were horrifyingly lost in a place which spoke of safety. I think that Grenfell Tower could leave the same sort of mark on our national psyche (and, hopefully, on Government and Health & Safety).

[ 16. June 2017, 13:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps it's because I'm now living in South Wales, but I am now starting to make connections with the Aberfan disaster. Why? Because there was a known problem which was treated far too lightly, because local residents had made complaints to officialdom about safety which had fallen on deaf ears, most of all because innocent (and largely poor) lives were horrifyingly lost in a place which spoke of safety. I think that Grenfell Tower could leave the same sort of mark on our national psyche (and, hopefully, on Government and Health & Safety).

Aberfan was rubbed in though by the appalling actions of the NCB in the aftermath (in particular its appropriation of and use of a large amount of the disaster relief money for a clean-up it was liable for rather than getting it to the survivors...). Penlee nearly went the same way but the outcry in the press meant that the families got the money.

I think you're right that this ought to be a watershed moment, whether it will be or not is another matter. It does seem to me though that it's how the weeks and months after such an event are handled as much as the event itself which affects how it feels to the national consciousness.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One staircase says it all. Are there no enforceable building codes in the UK? This building would not be used unless a second staircase was installed. And smoke detectors. Both wired in and battery. And retrofitting is required. All new construction and renos also requires sprinklers for a building of this size. No such rules there?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I've heard a rumour that a D notice has been applied to the known number of deaths at Grenfell Towers.

I've enquired politely with the Home Office to see if this is true, but I'm not holding my breath for an answer.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently not.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Just seen Andrea Leadsom making a game attempt to stick up for the PM on the site with some of the locals giving her a hard time about it.

My second thought was 'good for her'. My first, unworthy, thought was 'on manoeuvres are we?' Ms Leadsom reminds me of the Austrian Emperor Ferdinand II. Ferdinand had learning difficulties and one of his few memorable comments was "I am the Emperor and I will have dumplings. During the 1848 revolution he was removed to make way for Franz Josef. After the Austro-Prussian he uttered another memorable remark. "Even I could have done better than that." Ms Leadsom would not be human if the same sentiment had not occurred to her at some point over the last week.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
As far as the victims are concerned, I think it's normal practice only to formally announce the number of known dead.

Correct. The official figure is the number of confirmed deaths, which is why virtually every piece of reporting has contained the line "the figure is expected to rise".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Apparently not.

Good.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of people on social media calling this May's Hurricane Katrina. I think that's very apt. She surely cannot survive this. Also, this all is highly indicative of why Kensington turned red.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Are there no enforceable building codes in the UK?

Yes there are, but that doesn't mean they're the same as in other countries. And new codes generally don't apply to buildings built before the codes became law.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
After the Austro-Prussian he uttered another memorable remark. "Even I could have done better than that." Ms Leadsom would not be human if the same sentiment had not occurred to her at some point over the last week.

John Crace ( (here) made a similar comment yesterday.
quote:
“What about resources?” said Labour MP Clive Efford. “We need cash now,” others joined in.

At which point Sharma broke ranks and voted with his heart rather than his head. Too bad if he got a bollocking for making uncosted promises that hadn’t been signed off. Someone in the Tory party had to show some leadership, and it might as well be him.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Correct. The official figure is the number of confirmed deaths, which is why virtually every piece of reporting has contained the line "the figure is expected to rise".

Right, and obviously every body needs official confirmation.

But this has nothing to do with a lack of information about those who are missing.

--------------------
arse

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Firstly, the present government has been largely hostile to passing or implementing health and safety regulations.
Secondly, austerity means that local council resources to ensure compliance have been overstretched. See this article by one of the people responsible in the Guardian.
Thirdly, legal aid has been cut so residents can't sue on their own behalf.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
She surely cannot survive this.

People are calling this "May's Katrina", while failing to realise that Bush survived Katrina and saw out a double term as President.

How it affects May's political future will depend on how closely she is tied to the various decisions that led to it. Simply being PM when a tragedy occurs shouldn't be enough to lose your job, but being directly responsible for any lax building codes and/or cost cutting that led to such a loss of life might.

What's more likely is that Labour will be able to use this disaster to tear the Tories a new one over their cuts to emergency services and the NHS. If they're cunning enough they can also turn the public discussion towards the question of why it's so hard to rehouse the survivors when so many expensive properties are sitting empty within a few miles. Compared to those issues, quibbles about building regulations that very few people were even aware of seem fairly small beer.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One staircase says it all. Are there no enforceable building codes in the UK? This building would not be used unless a second staircase was installed. And smoke detectors. Both wired in and battery. And retrofitting is required. All new construction and renos also requires sprinklers for a building of this size. No such rules there?

I once lived in a (seven-story) building with a single staircase in the UK. In order to meet building regulations, the single staircase core had automatically closing doors, an overpressure of air in the staircase core, and nothing flammable in that core. This made the staircase a safe, smoke-free exit in the case of a fire. Without this, regulations would have required a second exit (staircase down the outside of the building would have been the usual way of doing that).

That was a new build about 20 years ago.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
quote:

Yes there are, but that doesn't mean they're the same as in other countries. And new codes generally don't apply to buildings built before the codes became law.
And this cladding met all regulations old and new. Unless shoddy workmanship or sharp practice was to blame, I don't think one can point the finger at either the contractors or the company overseeing the refurbishment. Thinking of the experiences in Paris, Melbourne and Dubai, one might want to point it at the Council who accepted the use of flammable material, but again they would say, "But it conformed to the regs." which they would have every right to assume were fit for purpose.

What I think is much more culpable is the decision not to fit sprinklers. One would have thought that a major refurbishment should have been regarded in law as equivalent to a new-build, where sprinklers would have been mandatory. Apparently the cost would only have been £200k added onto a total of more than £8m.

There is also Government itself which has been told repeatedly by its own MPs that the Regulations needed updating. What I feel is so sad is how the residents must have rejoiced when they heard of the "improvements" that were going to be made to the building. But it was in fact much safer in its old tatty guise.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
But this has nothing to do with a lack of information about those who are missing.

True - but (as you yourself suggested) there may be people who we don't even know are missing.
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
True - but (as you yourself suggested) there may be people who we don't even know are missing.

Do you not think the media downplayed the extent of this disaster - by talking about a handful of known deaths rather than an unknown, but large, number of the missing? Even saying that there were 70+ missing and listing the names of people that families were looking for before now would have shown how serious this was.

--------------------
arse

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been wall-to-wall coverage of this event on the TV. Newspapers have run front pages with big pictures of the tower block in flames. I'm not sure how this could be described as 'down-played'.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They did that a number of years ago when there was a train crash and the wreck burnt out (near Paddington?) - talking of hundreds dead, and bodies burnt beyond recovery. Eventually, there turned out to be a relatively small number of deaths, with the abandoned cars at railway stations up and down the line (that were being used to make estimates of the numbers of missing people) mostly belonging to people unable to quickly get back to them because the railway line was closed. Hence, I suspect, the caution. That, and the one person being reported missing 46 times.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016