homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards
 
Ship of Fools


Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » The Fear of the Lord (Page 2)

 - Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 
 
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Fear of the Lord
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

 - Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fear of the Lord eh?

Well i certainly had the fear of not getting a drink of orange squash at a certain well known festival if no one gave their lives to Jesus. I'm so multiply converted now that it horrifies me.
Talking about this once, while strolling round the fells with a fellow junior attendee, i was shocked to hear that the reasons for multiple putting up of hands up was an agony of fear that it hadn't taken first time round (or twentieth time, given the number of times that person raised a hand and yes i peeked...)
This went on over years and years.
Ridiculous.

+there was the history of saints (or some such) found in my fathers bookcase. Something should have tipped me off, it was upside down and very much under everything else and hidden behind a shelf of very large and heavy books. When i was discovered reading this tome up a tree , my poor father went into an extremely long lecture about the artistic merits of the illustrations, but emphasised that the book was completely lacking in theological understanding.
Nightmares for about a year was the result of That book. Which was never seen from that day on. Hopefully he sold it for vast sums of money to some bookseller far far away....

There was the evangelist who used to say " Someone here tonight could very well not see tomorrow's sunrise. Where will you be? With your Lord and Saviour? Or damned and in hell..."
And put like THAT.........

So yes, the fear of the Lord...in my experience anyway......is a blunt tool used to shovel folk into the kingdom.
We need to throw that shovel far away and forget about it....

AND ...i prefer to gain my theological understanding from studying scripture and not hymns , of whatever era....
.
.

Posts: 3125 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

 - Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well i certainly had the fear of not getting a drink of orange squash at a certain well known festival if no one gave their lives to Jesus. I'm so multiply converted now that it horrifies me.
Talking about this once, while strolling round the fells with a fellow junior attendee, i was shocked to hear that the reasons for multiple putting up of hands up was an agony of fear that it hadn't taken first time round (or twentieth time, given the number of times that person raised a hand and yes i peeked...)
This went on over years and years.
Ridiculous.

So you were trying to order a beer at the tennis, and there was a big crowd trying to get a beer too, including one person who went to the bar about 20 times?

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1290 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

 - Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
There was the evangelist who used to say " Someone here tonight could very well not see tomorrow's sunrise.

Very probably a teenager who does not get out of bed before mid-day.

Or me, both my bedroom and living room windows face west.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8834 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

 - Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
quote:
Well i certainly had the fear of not getting a drink of orange squash at a certain well known festival if no one gave their lives to Jesus. I'm so multiply converted now that it horrifies me.
Talking about this once, while strolling round the fells with a fellow junior attendee, i was shocked to hear that the reasons for multiple putting up of hands up was an agony of fear that it hadn't taken first time round (or twentieth time, given the number of times that person raised a hand and yes i peeked...)
This went on over years and years.
Ridiculous.

So you were trying to order a beer at the tennis, and there was a big crowd trying to get a beer too, including one person who went to the bar about 20 times?
They ALL go 20 times, which is why there are ten billion converts in Africa alone and the dead are being raised in the next country.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17027 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

 - Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beer?
In the 70s....at those Bible Weeks?

[Razz]

Posts: 3125 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

 - Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking back to my childhood, I had an instinctive understanding that God is Love and He cares for us. It was later, amongst other teenagers, that I discovered a different sort of God - I think he came over from America, and was into frightening young people with Left Behind stories. When I realised I didn't like this new kind of God, I left him behind and went back to the God is Love of my childhood (with a few new understandings that I'd gleaned along the way since then). And a Certificate in Theology, which is probably quite useless, but I did enjoy reading all the different books.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34566 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

 - Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Thinking back to my childhood, I had an instinctive understanding that God is Love and He cares for us. It was later, amongst other teenagers, that I discovered a different sort of God - I think he came over from America, and was into frightening young people with Left Behind stories. When I realised I didn't like this new kind of God, I left him behind and went back to the God is Love of my childhood (with a few new understandings that I'd gleaned along the way since then). And a Certificate in Theology, which is probably quite useless, but I did enjoy reading all the different books.

You use the word 'instinctive' and I just wonder how much you think that this really was instinctive, i.e. an inherited survival trait, and how much it was the words of the adults around you who talked of God etc? Although you would not have been able to articulate your beliefs for at least the first two or three years of your life, your brain was already absorbing trillions of bits of information.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 2947 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

 - Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I think that during the next billion or so years, a human purpose should be to find a way of getting to another Earth-type planet somewhere before the sun does burn out!

SusanDoris, interested in your thoughts here.

And others' too.

Posts: 7583 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

 - Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
You use the word 'instinctive' and I just wonder how much you think that this really was instinctive, i.e. an inherited survival trait, and how much it was the words of the adults around you who talked of God etc? Although you would not have been able to articulate your beliefs for at least the first two or three years of your life, your brain was already absorbing trillions of bits of information.

I suspect a mix of both. Some people really do seem to have a spiritual instinct, while others have none at all; this doesn't seem to be dependent on whether they had a Christian upbringing. However, as I did, I will assume that it was a significant influence.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34566 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

 - Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
You use the word 'instinctive' and I just wonder how much you think that this really was instinctive, i.e. an inherited survival trait, and how much it was the words of the adults around you who talked of God etc?

Dawkins thinks religion has an evolutionary survival value. So perhaps it really is an instinct, as you define it.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63208 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

 - Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man has always tried to communicate with the weather. Whatever gets you through the night eh?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17027 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

 - Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Man has always tried to communicate with the weather. Whatever gets you through the night eh?

Erm...when you say 'communicate with the weather' do you mean talk to it? I have never in my life had a conversation with the rain or shared an intimate moment with a ray of sunshine.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8134 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

 - Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How rational of you.

Not to ask for the laws of physics to be changed for your personal convenience, especially as they can't be.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17027 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

 - Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
How rational of you.

Not to ask for the laws of physics to be changed for your personal convenience, especially as they can't be.

It always makes me laugh when people pray for sunshine; I often wonder what God is meant to do when someone else might be praying for rain!

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8134 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

 - Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am i the only person then who has certainly had a conversation with the rain and most especially whilst getting soaked after buses broke down?
And as for not sharing an intimate moment with a ray of sunshine...?

Herein lies the reason why our glorious churches have different traditions. Cerebral, for those who are sure and certain and like to know ( and do not...ever...direct words to the rain) And all the other types for those of us who might just like to whisper thank you to a ray of sun (and consider that to be quite normal)

Sheesh, Ship of Fools certainly flushes out into the open all our weird certainties, doesn't it? It's like wondering around the pick and mix in Woollies all those years ago and being amazed at the edges of the sherbet lemons, the awfulnesss of the gobstoppers , the softness of those marshmallows....
I'm a Parma Violet person myself.

The Fear of the Lord eh? Oh dear, wonder what sort of sweets those people ate....

Posts: 3125 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

 - Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Am i the only person then who has certainly had a conversation with the rain and most especially whilst getting soaked after buses broke down?
And as for not sharing an intimate moment with a ray of sunshine...?

Herein lies the reason why our glorious churches have different traditions. Cerebral, for those who are sure and certain and like to know ( and do not...ever...direct words to the rain) And all the other types for those of us who might just like to whisper thank you to a ray of sun (and consider that to be quite normal)

Sheesh, Ship of Fools certainly flushes out into the open all our weird certainties, doesn't it? It's like wondering around the pick and mix in Woollies all those years ago and being amazed at the edges of the sherbet lemons, the awfulnesss of the gobstoppers , the softness of those marshmallows....
I'm a Parma Violet person myself.

The Fear of the Lord eh? Oh dear, wonder what sort of sweets those people ate....

It was the hot peanuts I always wanted but NEVER had. Colours my view of the way things work to this day. And no, I would NEVER talk to a ray of sunshine, or the rain. I do talk to trees however. Very mainly those new to my acquaintance. The most recent being a Caucasian bladdernut. I've only named one by person. Frax. Lord of the Ash, Lord Ash, The Ash Lord.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17027 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged



Pages in this thread: 1  2 
 
Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.5.0

 
Check out Reform magazine
sip of fools mugs from your favourite nautical website
 
  ship of fools