homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » You can't care only about

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: You can't care only about
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't care only about:

Yourself

People who are just like you

People who are smart

People who are wealthy

People who are healthy

People who have never been arrested

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the topic is .....?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

Of course you can.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Self-centredness and empathy, and perception of some other people as "other" because they aren't like me. This appears to be the topic.

This is why we remember certain groups, people and troubles in our thoughts and prayers, and omit others. I think xenophobia and sticking with those like ourselves is normal for humans, with people like Jesus telling us to deliberately dos something else.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

Of course you can.
These blasted English auxiliary verbs. I assume that 'can't' here means 'shouldn't', in the obligation sense. You ought not to.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you know what they say about assumptions, don't you?
"Even if your assumption is based upon a reasonable conclusion, it is done so without all the pertinent information and therefore might not be correct."
Or something

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Game, set and match if not fool's mate in one lilBuddha.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can care about only yourself and people like you. To my mind doing that is a good way to cause your own suffering.

In part because if you only try to like people like you you have probably not spent the time and effort to figure out who you are in the first place. You tend to select only people who meet your ideal about yourself, forgetting that you have bits of you that do not meet those ideals. Then, the people you think are just like you turn out to have issues, so you reject them instead of confronting your own issues and getting to know them as a part of you.

That denial of who you are causes suffering because your interface with the world is off. If you do not deal with yourself as a whole person, you are not going to do a smashing job of dealing with the rest of creation. Then you go on a cycle of perfectionism and ignoring, or disregarding things that indicate you might be less than perfect. All of which just makes your interface with the world that much worse.

To me rejecting those not like me is rejecting reality the way it is. Rejecting reality leads to further suffering.

So, care only for yourself and others like you if you want, just know the price is suffering.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016