homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Should you be required by law to be a good Samaritan? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Should you be required by law to be a good Samaritan?
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russ, your last post is totally inconsistent with the earlier.

FWIW, I know nothing of German law or legal philosophy. Does the presumption of innocence apply there? Is it necessary for the prosecution to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt? Perhaps someone who knows can point us in the right direction.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6770 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
The German law may be framed in such a way that no wrong intent is needed, that the fact of having not rendered assistance makes one guilty regardless of motivation & regardless of whether one has actually noticed that someone is having a medical emergency.

Like I said earlier, the people convicted in this case offered as a defense that they though the man was homeless and sleeping in the nice warm bank. The court decided that, as the man had clean clothes and wasn't carrying a carrier bag of possessions or anything else typical of the local homeless, this was not reasonable.

I don't know exactly what standard is applied to determine whether a reasonable person would think that there might be a medical emergency, but it seems as though the court thought that stepping over someone on the floor warranted a check.

Posts: 4893 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016