homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Why can't God ... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why can't God ...
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
Some say that there is only story.

I'm with you. It's all story, and there seem to be an endless suite of variations on a surprisingly small set of great themes.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Is that it simontoad? As threatened in another place? It's a good one. Up there with Dougal-now when Father Ted agrees with him on being dismissive of mere superstitions and the like unlike the great Roman distinctives which he lists to which Dougal-now nods and says, to the effect, 'Yeah! Like them.'.

Yeah that was it. I forgot I'd done it and got busy. Then when I remembered it took me ages to find it again. [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
"A tale told by an idiot" or "that most tremendous tale of all"?

With vast swathes of religiosity as a kind of gateway drug to other kinds of untrue beliefs, causing us to think things like personal economic success means God loves us. And writ large, that centuries of overthrowing other countries' governments, enslaving brown people or making war is the Jesus way.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well yeah. There is the irony writ large.
We employ God to bring about a load of meaningless suffering on ourselves and others then plead with Him to deliver us from it.

'And God He takes no sort of heed. This is a bloody mess indeed' Ivor Gurney The Western Front 1917.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, we don’t employ God - we lay the blame at God’s door. Who else is there to blame for earthquakes?

God doesn’t take away suffering but is with us through it, I believe.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How? Apart from locally omnipathically? Beyond that? How does He feel (locally) about (locally) feeling our pain?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How? Apart from locally omnipathically? Beyond that? How does He feel (locally) about (locally) feeling our pain?

Whatever omnipathically means it sounds right!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All feeling. But how does He feel about that? And is all of Him all feeling of infinitely everything?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
All feeling. But how does He feel about that? And is all of Him all feeling of infinitely everything?

That’s how I see it, that She’s in and through everything - holding it all together, in love.

Our freedom/the freedom of evolution is part of the love. So if She created transcendent, sublime beings, would they be free?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

So, whatever evanescent pain is felt by every ephemeral organism in the infinite metaverse is felt by all of God?

My metatarsalgia?

How does all of God feel about feeling my infinitesimal sore foot in all of His meta-infinite being?

As for the final question, that's one for Lucifer and Gabriel and Michael et al. 1:2 say no.

[ 02. October 2017, 10:55: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I can see, the deity is passionate about those who nobody gives a shit about and has very little interest in those who are privileged (in all possible ways).

Which further makes me think that all of us who regularly go to church for the purpose of DIY spirituality are actually talking to the deity's back.

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Passively passionate. Helplessly, powerlessly passionate. Passionate for a thousand days in a bloke a couple of thousand years ago until the brief foul extremis of the Passion?

Impassibly passionate?

--------------------
Love wins

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It may look awful at a given moment, but we're not at the end of the play. It may only be Act Two Scene Four. We don't know the ending yet.

I'm sure that's a great comfort to all the ones who suffer and die purely in order to advance the plot. Of course, those characters aren't around at the end of the play either so don't get to share in the enjoyment of the ending.

Lord of the Rings is one of the greatest stories ever told - unless you happen to be Boromir, or Denethor, or any of the hundreds of unnamed soldiers who die in the various battles. I wonder whether they would say that having to live the part Tolkien wrote for them was worth it, given that they never got a happy ending?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

None are buying that dead metaphor you're flogging Brenda.

The story is, God can't. He can only ground being as if He weren't.

--------------------
Love wins

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

The one who created everything can’t be described as ‘powerless’.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

With regard to creating transcendent beings incapable of suffering, by fiat or even with regard to obtaining, facilitating what He says He wants of, for His creatures, what power does He have?

--------------------
Love wins

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Marvin:
quote:

I'm sure that's a great comfort to all the ones who suffer and die purely in order to advance the plot.

It can be though. Just because it doesn't wash for you doesn't mean it can't for a significant amount of others. Many millions who have lived through the most terrible suffering have found hope and strength in concepts of an afterlife through many of the world's religions. Many religions have this particular 'drive' in light of the injustice of random suffering. It sounds like a trite pat answer if we think its horseshit, but if we were truly to live as we profess to believe (in the Christian economy) it might well grant a very different perspective. It's where the Western church fails in my view; the proclamation of the conquering and victorious aspect of resurrection is something we have been terribly shy about. One might be tempted to say we perhaps don't really believe it.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It may look awful at a given moment, but we're not at the end of the play. It may only be Act Two Scene Four. We don't know the ending yet.

I'm sure that's a great comfort to all the ones who suffer and die purely in order to advance the plot. Of course, those characters aren't around at the end of the play either so don't get to share in the enjoyment of the ending.

Lord of the Rings is one of the greatest stories ever told - unless you happen to be Boromir, or Denethor, or any of the hundreds of unnamed soldiers who die in the various battles. I wonder whether they would say that having to live the part Tolkien wrote for them was worth it, given that they never got a happy ending?

Except that, unlike Tolkien, resurrection is part of the Christian story. They WILL be around at the end.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

But scripture does talk about his power being made perfect in weakness

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Very good. As it was in Christ. I was going to say that despite being very good, it wasn't germane to the OP. But it is. We are conceived in weakness, as weakness, for weakness. It would seem that one does not have to be much at all to be sublimed, like Timmy. Who had less about him than a new born calf or even a joey. Which begs another question. Animals.

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because that Power is not used in direct way to satisfy or eradicate humanity's problems and conundrums it is easy to question faith or abandon it altogether.

The 'why can’t God? question can never fully go away for a Believer. Presumably non-believers are not troubled by such questions, sounds enviable.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Posted by Marvin:
quote:

I'm sure that's a great comfort to all the ones who suffer and die purely in order to advance the plot.

It can be though. Just because it doesn't wash for you doesn't mean it can't for a significant amount of others. Many millions who have lived through the most terrible suffering have found hope and strength in concepts of an afterlife through many of the world's religions. Many religions have this particular 'drive' in light of the injustice of random suffering. It sounds like a trite pat answer if we think its horseshit, but if we were truly to live as we profess to believe (in the Christian economy) it might well grant a very different perspective. It's where the Western church fails in my view; the proclamation of the conquering and victorious aspect of resurrection is something we have been terribly shy about. One might be tempted to say we perhaps don't really believe it.
Contrarywise, one is reminded of Sir Pterry's comment (through Granny Weatherwax, as I recall) that if we stopped going on about how great it'll be up there there might be a bit more effort to improve things down here.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mainstream churchgoers in comfortable circumstances don't deal much in the afterlife, ISTM. Their clergy don't preach about it much; they probably do spend lots more time on social issues.

But communities of disadvantaged Christians don't have the means to make live wonderful here on earth, so for them the afterlife is more meaningful.

It seems fairly obvious to me.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

But scripture does talk about his power being made perfect in weakness
I hardly think that means that power STAYS weak.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

Because that Power is not used in direct way to satisfy or eradicate humanity's problems and conundrums it is easy to question faith or abandon it altogether.

The 'why can’t God? question can never fully go away for a Believer. Presumably non-believers are not troubled by such questions, sounds enviable.

I wrestled with the question for years. I’ve come to the conclusion that She can - but won’t. Which must be with very good reason, if She is a God of love.

That’s the best I can do [Roll Eyes]

But I seem unable to become an unbeliever. Not through lack of trying I must say.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

There is no good reason at all for not alleviating unnecessary suffering. Therefore it can't - can not - be done. Because transcendent creatures cannot be made by fiat. Or IF they can be, it isn't worth the risk of failure as the only route to transcendence as (local) demons would be living proof.

But if Timmy's made it, why not just create transcendent Timmys? Don't create fully functioning new shiny people in the sublime, as they can go to the bad big time; create transcendent joeys, like Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 Dave Bowman star child at most, that can more flawlessly develop? But that would mean that all pre-sentient creatures would qualify even now surely? What level of existence now can become a transcendent being?

Or maybe Timmy hasn't made it as he wasn't there. Like zygotes with no neural tube. Nothing to get sentimental about? Like animals.

Or ...

For some ineffable, rational reason, God can only ground being - which nothing else can do - as if He weren't. And it's got NOTHING to do with faith - whatever that is - or any other bogus 'lesson'.

Me too Boogie.

[ 07. October 2017, 10:01: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the Lord said to Job:
quote:
Will you even put me in the wrong?
Will you condemn me that you may be justified?

I used to read the ending of Job as a justification for the bad things of the world by an apologist for God. Now, I read the end of Job as a lecture from an AA sponsor to a sponsee.

Basically, my response at this point is I don't know the whys, or the hows, or how the future should look. I don't know why bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people.

What I do know is that my serenity, happiness, peace, whatever you want to call it, cannot be coupled to anything outside of myself. If I look for happiness in my situation, I will never be happy. If I look for peace within myself, I can find it with the help of God.

So, "Why can't God . . . ?" is no longer a relevant question to me. It is simply none of my business as I have enough on my hands dealing with me.

Let it go. Ask God for guidance, compassion, and peace. See other humans as filled with the light of God instead of judging them. Find your inner peace that passes all understanding and maybe what you do will catch on with others.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Tortuf

Sensei. Thank you. You know that you can say no wrong by me. I know that you have walked through fire before me based only on what I have seen you write, how I have seen you struggle and change, become wiser.

No buts.

However [Smile] we'll get to that, I was GOBSMACKED that that's in Job. I must have read it I don't know how many times over nearly 50 years, love it, but it never had such impact before. It never felt personal before.

You are just so damn right, as was God to Job: I'd always got your penultimate paragraph, well after looking for other meaning than the obvious, thinking that others knew. They didn't. And it resonates with 'Go thy way Daniel'.

And you are just so damn right in your final paragraph. Let it go. And what follows.

However ... there is none is there? No however.

Believe it or not the OP was rhetorical and what I need is answers like yours. No, I need your answer. Which looks like ... God's. Which is. That gets hot eyes. Yours, His is the only answer that transcends mine.

I didn't think I was judging others ... whilst getting flinty eyed with W Hyatt elsewhere ... but I'm not full of compassion and peace of course. I'm found ... hollow. Empty. Which is scary.

It feels like I have nothing to distract me ... from my emptiness if I can't pursue futile OPs like this and I can't imagine what inner peace that passes understanding would look like from the outside. Especially among Christians. Resonating with your middle paragraphs, nothing external ... works. And I have so very little to give the external.

(I can barely bear my 87 going on 2 year old mother. She's knocking now. Joy. Not for the commode or tea. I can robustly attend to her functional needs. But not the bottomless pit of senile want, of tearless boo hoo hoo ... and now my mobility is drastically diminished. Hey ho. Don't worry mate, there are no answers [Smile] and I don't want pity but other people's lives are ... different you know?)

... blew my cheeks out there. The facial ones ...

The OP was driven by conversation with my son and your answer, the answer is the only one there is. Somehow I've got to live that for him and I'm at my best with him, which isn't much.

[Smile]

I'll work it out.

--------------------
Love wins

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, heavens above. You have a huge amount going on in your head that is good. You get a lot more than you care to admit to yourself and you are filled with love and compassion. Don't et me stop you from asking questions that require you, me, and everyone else to think instead of opine.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thanks mate. Means a lot. But you're STILL right [Smile]

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016