homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Get a 'flu vaccine or if you get ill, do not come to work & no sick leave (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Get a 'flu vaccine or if you get ill, do not come to work & no sick leave
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Staff need to provide documentation they've had the vaccine. If they have symptoms, they are put off work, covered by sick leave if they've had the vaccine, but without sick leave pay if they haven't. I expect at least 3 weeks off work for an ill person, 5 or 6 weeks is well within time frame.

While encouraging people to get the shot and paying sick leave for them if they get flu anyhow, your policy of not paying sick leave for those who don't get vaccination seems unwise. You're encouraging people who are likely to get the flu to conceal it as long as possible to minimize their unpaid time off.

You probably should check with HR law in your country, but if it's legal, it would be good to factor it into the annual performance review/bonus structure and encourage everyone to take sick leave.

I'm in several high risk categories so I'm usually given an early shot. One year I did tell my doctor that after getting the flu shot, I got flu 3 times. He said that the shot that year covered 4 strains of the common 7 that had popped up.

I work in a very large new office which has trendily packed all the desks together in an open layout, several hundred people and visiting workers from other regions. As a result, last year it just went around and around.

[postscript] I was amused that the posting software reminded me to wash my hands. [Smile]

[ 13. October 2017, 02:57: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse and Gee D--

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
And if you get shingles on your neck or face, there's a real risk of its spreading to an optic nerve. If you're an at risk person, it's a good idea to have it. Subject to proper medical advice in your particular case of course.

Thanks, both of you. [Smile] Actually, I had my initial case of shingles some years back. And it hit in and around one eye. It was horrible, and all I could do was huddle in bed and whimper. Fortunately, I got on a good anti-viral soon. My immune system is such that viruses don't necessarily clear out, so doctors and I agreed to keep me on the meds. (Huge dose.) I still occasionally get small outbreaks, but they're manageable.

I know this probably sounds pretty weird. Complicated health situation. Even more fun in real life. [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The title of this thread is my office policy.

Must be nice to be king.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just seen Lothlorien's post that her brother paid almost $100 for the shingles vaccine. I think her memory must be out - we paid well over $200 each. Maybe not much by US standards, but a lot by those here.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both amounts are a lot for most people, anywhere.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am high risk as asthmatic, so get offered both the flu and pneumonia shots. I reacted badly to the flu shot last time I had it, some years ago now: the sore lump in my arm didn't go for months. Knowing how allergenic I am, I refuse the jab because my next reaction is likely to be worse: When I started reacting to wasp stings, first sting was boring, second sting was a huge lump, third sting on my finger made my hand and arm swell to hide all the bones to my elbow; it looked more like a cow's udder and needed hospital treatment. I have never been offered the nasal spray as an alternative.

I don't recommend flu, pneumonia or shingles having had them all, the latter two most recently.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couple o' thoughts. no..., as an employer it's your responsibility, not the employees'. Make it so. And following on from the UK Chief Medical Officer reporting from Berlin on the antibiotics apocalypse, apparently our NHS doctors are so weak minded that when we go to them demanding antibiotics for a cough, because 0.1% - 1:1000 - or less are bacterial pneumonia (which is inoculable) and amenable to antibiotic therapy if not too far gone, they cave in and give them out like Smarties. According to 'a doctor' on the BBC.

What utter bollocks.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I never had one in England - the NHS only provides them for certain categories of people.

Here in Wales I went for a routine blood test this morning and the nurse offered me one on the spot. I took it of course, I've twice had bad flu at Christmas in recent years.

Baptist Trainfan

It is £12.99 from Boots (your GP will do it for the same amount I suspect and it may well be available elsewhere). As someone who is likely to visit people who have had chemo, people who have had a transplant, the frail elderly etc You really should.

For those in the UK at the time of the last flu panic, the UK did not have enough flu vaccine for everyone and therefore decided to limit it to vulnerable groups until an outbreak. This has not been the case for several years.

Two other things
  • The severity with which you get flu can differ hugely. The nearest I have ever got to being hospitalised was due to 'flu but I suspect that I have had it several other times and got rid of it as a nasty cold.
  • I got it, but I may not be any more immune than I was before. Sometimes vaccines do not take (it has happened at least twice to me with different vaccines; smallpox and TB).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
It is £12.99 from Boots (your GP will do it for the same amount I suspect and it may well be available elsewhere). As someone who is likely to visit people who have had chemo, people who have had a transplant, the frail elderly etc You really should.

You've misunderstood me. The nurse offered to do it, there and then, for free. So I had it done! I wonder if this is because in Wales there are no prescription charges (for anyone)?

In fact our surgery is having a drop-in flu vaccine session this morning.

[ 14. October 2017, 09:18: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry.

Jean

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Martin--

Re anti-biotic resistance and patients' demands:

FWIW, the same thing has been said here in the US for a long time. And that (IIRC) the bacteria adapt to handle the anti-biotic, so that one is less effective. There are only so many kinds of anti-biotics available, and evidently this has happened with so many that there aren't many really effective ones left. That scares the heck out of medical folks, because of possible consequences.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Antibiotic Resistance

For those who have read James Herriot vet books then there is a scene in there where James gives antibiotics for the first time to a herd of cows. It miraculous cures the herd who were otherwise on their way out.

It is that experience of antibiotics as a wonder drug that doctors are dealing with. James Herriot even in writing that knows that the wonder cure no longer happens (he is writing in the 1970s or 1980s reporting events of 1940s and 1950s; so a twenty-year lapse but still about twenty years ago). The folk memory makes them a potent item even when no longer effective and probably enhances placebo effect.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some have asked if what we habe established is fair and legal. Briefly, we adopted the process and procedure from the health region. It specifies vaccine requirements, certification that it was taken, exclusion from work if symptomatic and has some other things we don't do like requirements for antiviral meds in an outbreak, 14 day waiting period after outbreak if vaccinated after outbreak started. We only require the vaccine.

And no, it's not about being king or controlling. It's just sensible. There is a larger discussion about individual versus group rights. And why vaccination is one of our most important public health responsibilities. Sensitivity to vaccine is obviously legitimate not taking it. Antiviral medication during an outbreak, no one has requested but I think we'd pay for it as it is quite expensive. As a small business we have insured people for non-medicare costs for other things, paid directly and given paid leave when there is reason. Good will and happiness at work is important. It is multilateral.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting mine next Friday.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had mine. Eight years or so ago I developed an ongoing condition. My GP, a good and wise man, gleefully put a flu jab in one of my arms and a pneumococcus jab in the other, and advised me to get the flu jab annually after that. I do - and it not only protects me but, as had been said on here already, it protects others around me.

I do get sick pay if I'm off, but in any case you couldn't go to work with real flu! The question of whether to go to work with a cold is a vexed question for both employers and employees - on the one hand, if you are able to work you should (e.g. if your cold is not a severe one), but on the other hand you don't want to infect anyone else...

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several years ago, I nearly died because of the flu. I don't know how I contracted it, but I got real sick. It just hung on for the longest time. I really did not have a fever, just constricted chest. Finally, my wife insisted I go to the ER. They X-rayed me. My left lung cavity was filled with fluid (empyema) and it was completely collapsed. They tried to drain the fluid in the ER but when the fluid was exposed to air, it turned to jell. Next thing I knew I was being life-flighted to a regional hospital in Spokane. I was placed in ICU. The next day I was supposed to have surgery but they were having trouble finding an operating room available. In the afternoon, the doctor called and said they were going to have to transfer me again. I told them I did not think I could hang on much longer. Within the hour they had me in an operating room. I was in the hospital for three weeks, in the cardiac care unit. People were coming in for bypass surgery and leaving the hospital within five days. I was a very sick person.

Consequently, when the flu vaccines for the next year become available I religiously get them now.

I also got my shingles shot when I became eligible. I had worked with several people in the past who had shingles so I knew what it could be like. When I was a kid when I got chicken pox I was also very sick, so I knew if I got shingles it could be bad.

I kept bugging my wife to get her shingles shot but she kept putting it off. Then one day she got a small spot on her chin, like a small rash--the size of a quarter, but she said it was quite painful. She went into the doctor's office. She was very surprised it was shingles. After it cleared, she did get a shingles shot because one can have recurrences.

Another series of vaccinations to get for older people are whooping cough because our immune systems get weaker over the years, and pneumonia vaccinations again because of compromised immune systems.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
nd no, it's not about being king or controlling. It's just sensible. There is a larger discussion about individual versus group rights.

There is indeed. Groups do have rights, but typically where such things are acknowledged there is a mechanism for the group as a whole to express its collective wishes. That doesn't appear to have happened in this case. You have imposed your individual decision on a group of people because you believe it to be sensible. You aren't more qualified to make this decision than they are; you just have the power. While this may be legal where you live, that doesn't make it moral to make healthcare decisions for others.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
nd no, it's not about being king or controlling. It's just sensible. There is a larger discussion about individual versus group rights.

There is indeed. Groups do have rights, but typically where such things are acknowledged there is a mechanism for the group as a whole to express its collective wishes. That doesn't appear to have happened in this case. You have imposed your individual decision on a group of people because you believe it to be sensible. You aren't more qualified to make this decision than they are; you just have the power. While this may be legal where you live, that doesn't make it moral to make healthcare decisions for others.
But not getting vaccinated is also a health care choice for others. And they are allowed not to be vaccinated and we are allowed to pay them or not if they aren't at work. What's the problem?

Individual and collective rights are balanced differently in different places. It's cultural I think. When it comes to health care, partly because it is publicly funded and partly because it is a good idea, we have provincial laws which mandate cancer screening for colon and breast cancers, diabetes education and follow-up which results in cheaper or free diabetes supplies, public health visits post birth to homes, basic eye, hearing and dental screenings. Stuff like that. We expect some responsible behaviour from people about health. Some behaviour is encouraged by education, some by nudging people, and some by mandating it.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend got shingles. Two days before she was coming home. I said wait a minute, let me look it up, i remember reading about a shingles technique.

Took me about 6 hours of solid searching.

Called her up and told her what some people with experience say is the cure. She was willing to try anything rather suffer for months.

She got home, called a chiropractor for an appointment, had to wait two day to get in to see him, but one hour later she was pain free.

The rash took about 10 days to heal, but it was visibly going away starting the first day.

Turns out shingles is an irritated nerve, irritated by heavy lifting or moving furniture. (She had been moving furniture, but didn't think to tell me that until later.)

Irritated nerve is healed by finding the sore spot and healing it by rearranging the slightly out of place nerves. Nerve healed, body relaxes, and heals.

Shingles is no longer a threat, as it can be healed in one rather cheap visit. Not by a doctor, but by a chiropractor.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything I've ever read (e.g., The Mayo Clinic) says Shingles is a viral infection. An chiropractic "adjustment" isn't going to kill a virus even if it helps with the pain.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We have provincial laws which mandate cancer screening for colon and breast cancers... <snip> We expect some responsible behaviour from people about health. Some behaviour is encouraged by education, some by nudging people, and some by mandating it.

You are equivocating on the word "mandate", making it sound like "command". No one is obliged, commanded, coerced or forced into colon or breast cancer screening, not even in Saskatchewan. Presumably the mandate to which you refer is the provincial government's authority to mandate that the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency provide such screening to the (insured) public. Who are perfectly free not to take advantage of such services.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

Turns out shingles is an irritated nerve, irritated by heavy lifting or moving furniture. (She had been moving furniture, but didn't think to tell me that until later.)

Are you certain that you have not confused shingles and sciatica? Shingles is caused by the varicella zoster virus.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shingles is caused by a virus, the chicken pox virus lying dormant in the body. You cannot catch shingles, it is caused by the dormant virus becoming reactivated in a nerve (which is why it so painful) This may be triggered by a lowered immune system. Someone with shingles can infect others with chicken pox if the blisters are uncovered and weeping. To catch shingles the person has to have had chicken pox in the past.

The treatment is anti-viral medication.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
We have provincial laws which mandate cancer screening for colon and breast cancers... <snip> We expect some responsible behaviour from people about health. Some behaviour is encouraged by education, some by nudging people, and some by mandating it.

You are equivocating on the word "mandate", making it sound like "command". No one is obliged, commanded, coerced or forced into colon or breast cancer screening, not even in Saskatchewan. Presumably the mandate to which you refer is the provincial government's authority to mandate that the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency provide such screening to the (insured) public. Who are perfectly free not to take advantage of such services.
There are in fact very few health precautions everyone is required to take, and the government -- you know, the elected government -- mandates those. Not private employers. no prophet's flag is set so... is violating his employees' civil liberties IMO.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

But not getting vaccinated is also a health care choice for others. And they are allowed not to be vaccinated and we are allowed to pay them or not if they aren't at work. What's the problem?

Individual and collective rights are balanced differently in different places. It's cultural I think. When it comes to health care, partly because it is publicly funded and partly because it is a good idea, we have provincial laws which mandate cancer screening for colon and breast cancers, diabetes education and follow-up which results in cheaper or free diabetes supplies, public health visits post birth to homes, basic eye, hearing and dental screenings. Stuff like that. We expect some responsible behaviour from people about health. Some behaviour is encouraged by education, some by nudging people, and some by mandating it.

You are not Justin Trudeau (I assume) and you are wielding a huge economic stick called wages in order to force employees to do something to their bodies. Employers buy labor, not whole people. Its economic bullying whether you are obliged to pay your employees or not.

Have you thought about paying your employees to have the jab? Why not calculate what the flu is costing you, and then split the saving between the company and those who take the jab? It's still unilateral, but you might like it better than my next suggestion.

Why don't you invite the relevant union to your workplace to meet with your people so that a suitable and lawful arrangement can be negotiated.

I applaud your approach of seeking to find a fair solution to the problem you've identified, including paying non-mandated sick leave. Many people would not do that.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always had the flu vax injection each year and it has offered good protection against flu. When I was working at the hospital it was a requirement that we were vaccinated. This year, despite being vaccinated, I succumbed to flu after being exposed to a very sick passenger travelling next to me on a plane. My doctor is of the opinion that the virus mutated this year and that the vaccine did not address that mutation. However, if I had not had the vaccination the bout of flu could have been more serious.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always had the flu vax injection each year and it has offered good protection against flu. When I was working at the hospital it was a requirement that we were vaccinated. This year, despite being vaccinated, I succumbed to flu after being exposed to a very sick passenger travelling next to me on a plane. My doctor is of the opinion that the virus mutated this year and that the vaccine did not address that mutation. However, if I had not had the vaccination the bout of flu could have been more serious.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
You are not Justin Trudeau (I assume) and you are wielding a huge economic stick called wages in order to force employees to do something to their bodies. Employers buy labor, not whole people. Its economic bullying whether you are obliged to pay your employees or not.

np requires his employees to get a 'flu vaccine, at his expense, based on his belief that choosing not to vaccinate without a "good" reason is wrong.

Hobby Lobby refuses to pay for its employees' contraception, based on its owners' belief that (some) contraception is wrong.

Apart from the fact that np's position is based on correct science, and Hobby Lobby's position is based on nonsense, are there other differences between the two cases?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How much would it cost to have a qualified person come and vaccinate all employees (save of course those with a proper reason for not being jabbed)?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

A couple of IANAD thoughts:

--Boiron company puts out a medicine called Oscillococcinum. (I think I've got the spelling right.) It helps with colds and flu. Here, you can get it in drug stores, some groceries, and health food stores. Comes in a box with several doses, each in an individual tube of little pellets, which melt under your tongue.

Ok, the controversial bit: it's homeopathic.

It helps me. With my freaky immune system, I can have both cold and flu at the same time. The Oscillo (common nickname), because of all that, doesn't wipe all the germs out. BUT it does relieve symptoms, especially if I start taking it as soon as symptoms start.

I don't think it's a placebo effect, though I wouldn't be against it. I react badly to some other homeopathic meds.

I'm not pushing this. Just letting you know it exists, since some of us can't get the flu shot.

--On the same basis: AIUI, there a homeopathic flu vaccine that's made each year. I haven't tried it. But you probably have to go to a homeopath to get it.

FWIW, YMMV, eat lots of chicken soup.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016