homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » California Fires (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: California Fires
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the info re eucalypts.

They're not that common in the UK, though I think there's one adjacent to a local health centre.

Beautiful trees, but perhaps not in too great profusion...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And probably not a major factor here. In general, the wildfires in No Cal are behaving exactly like wildfires we have seen all over California, both w/ and w/o eucalyptus trees, since time began. The driving factor is really the Santa Anas and the type of brush that IS indigenous to California-- so simply replanting native plants would not solve the problem, since fire IS part of the natural lifecycle of those plants. Rather, we need to be more thoughtful in California about how to live WITH fire. We've done a pretty good job of thinking that thru in terms of building codes, but not so much in thinking about where we build, drought/water management, and about how to manage the many, many brush/wilderness areas bordering on residential communities. We are just beginning to acknowledge that some fire is beneficial in that process, because allowing (or even setting) "controlled burns" feels scary (for good reason) to those of us living near those controlled burn areas.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
both w/ and w/o eucalyptus trees, since time began.

Eucalyptus trees, if they are particularly fallible, won't help though. They are, as I understand it, generally planted near structures and farmland to provide a windbreak. Their being near people is a problem. Just not the main one.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BF--

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Meanwhile, has The Deranged Dotard tweeted (or done) anything useful about this horrendous occurrence?

I don't recall hearing of anything.

But there could be big problems, because we don't necessarily go along with what the Feds want. We recently became a "sanctuary state", which means our law enforcement folks don't cooperate much about turning illegal immigrants over to the Feds. (Mostly, I think, if the immigrant is being released from local/state custody, they won't hold the person for the Feds simply for the illegal immigration.) Some cities, like SF, had already declared themselves sanctuaries. IIRC, the folks in DC (Washington) have said it will cost us the loss of various gov't grants.

Plus pot is illegal at the federal level, but legal here. Obama tried to cut people some slack; but the current administration ain't inclined that way. So Feds sometimes raid a facility or farm that is legal under state law.

I wouldn't be surprised if T ties aid to getting rid of the state sanctuary law. And encourages more raids.
[Help]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, he seems hell-bent on getting rid of every civilised aspect of recent US progress, so yes, watch this space...

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This hauntingly beautiful video of singing Samoan firefighters showed up in my video feed. I'm unclear of it's providence-- in some contexts it's suggested they are, in fact, at the Santa Rosa fire, and the surrounding forest vegetation certainly looks like that could be the case (and we do have firefighters who came in from Hawaii, which has a large Samoan population). Either way I found it beautiful.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Meanwhile, here in So. Cal., I awoke this morning to the spectacular sunrise that was my first clue that our own hills are now ablaze. As I mentioned before, our wildfires can be incredibly beautiful... if you're not running for your life (which I am not at this point).

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The Samoan Firefighters:

[Overused]

From the anonymous writer of the YouTube text re the video:
quote:
These firefighters come down the mountain singing praises to our Lord, and it's such a beautiful sight to see. No matter what they face or how much they go through, it's the Lord that keeps pure joy and smiles on their faces.

I love watching moments like these where the love for the Lord shines through. We need more people like this in this world!

Amen!

Meanwhile, [Votive] for SoCal....

IJ

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even those who do not subscribe to that particular religious POV can still see the beauty in their practice.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just now watching local news. A couple of new, "small fires" in the North Bay (where the others have been). From the map shown, looks like most of the previous fires are about 75% contained.

Also a fire south, near Santa Cruz.

Possibility of rain, in a few days.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend in Santa Rosa evacuated from his house. Prudently, he didn't announce on social media that he was not at home. And, a great blessing, when the police let the family back into the neighborhood again his house is still standing.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suppose to rain tomorrow in the north bay which is good news.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, Trump has no plans to visit the California fire zones, though it has not been ruled out.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm resurrecting this thread because now it's southern California's turn. This week we've had the Skirball fire (within the city of Los Angeles, in the Sepulveda pass, near the Getty Center, mostly contained), the Lilac fire (San Diego County, partly contained), the Creek fire (Sylmar - LA County, mostly contained), the Rye fire (Santa Clarita - LA County, mostly contained), the Liberty fire (Riverside County, contained), and the Thomas fire, still raging out of control in Ventura and now Santa Barbara Counties -- more than 200,000 acres burned, which for reference is more than 300 square miles (roughly 800 square kilometers). The reasons only one person has died in the Thomas fire are that it ignited in the early evening, so people were still awake and alert, and also because the reports of the loss of life in northern California in October made people get the hell out when they were told to go. But the devastation is enormous. Hundreds of homes have been lost, scores of thoroughbred horses have been killed, not to mention the other horses and ponies kept by people who live in the city/country interface. And all the pets they couldn't save. And the wildlife.

This isn't just weather anymore. As this Rolling Stone article points out, "The Thomas fire is the first wintertime megafire in California history."

quote:
In its first several hours, the Thomas fire grew at a rate of one football field per second, expanding 30-fold, and engulfing entire neighborhoods in the dead of night. Hurricane force winds have produced harrowing conditions for firefighters. Faced with such impossible conditions, in some cases, all they could do is move people to safety, and stand and watch.

There's a whole series of links between climate change and this week's fires. Ten years ago, scientists warned of possible lengthening of the Santa Ana fire season, and the data bear that out. Fire season is more than a month longer now, and 13 of the state's top 20 fires in history have happened since 2000. This year's "rainy" season has also been suspiciously absent so far, with Los Angeles rainfall 94 percent below normal since October. Right now, the atmosphere over the West Coast is the driest in recorded history. There's no rain in the forecast for at least the next two weeks – the current fires could last until Christmas.

Climate change isn't coming up in the not too distant future. It's already here.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're right - climate change is here. And it is terrifying.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again the pictures are horrendous. These fires are in the middle of suburban areas I think (not sure). It kind of reminds me of Sydney's North Shore, the way bush and 'burb interlace.

My locality will hit mega-danger time very soon, usually the season lasts till the end of March. It's been wet here, which is a blessing and a curse.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

We drove from L.A. to Santa Barbara this week to visit our daughter's family. Driving through the burn area was poignant-- everything scorched on both sides of the freeway, all the way down to the ocean, smoke so thick you could only see a few feet ahead of you, hot spots still smoldering and flaring up around us. In Santa Barbara everyone is wearing face masks, they were giving them away free at Costco and other stores-- but impossible to find a parking space. Very concerned for my infant granddaughter with special needs-- they don't make particulate masks small enough for her.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where is the smoke going? There must a plume heading somewhere.

On the climate change thing, we're 8°C above normal for the last month. It's not hard frozen like it's supposed to be.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Where is the smoke going? There must a plume heading somewhere.

On the climate change thing, we're 8°C above normal for the last month. It's not hard frozen like it's supposed to be.

From 3 days ago

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

To give a scale, a straight line across the coast represented in the image is nearly the length of England, north to south.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ok, so only a short distance. Good to know.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Daughter, SIL, and infant granddaughter evacuated last night and are safely esconsed in their our spare bedroom. They took photos of the raw fire surrounding them on their drive down the coast-- spectacular, beautiful, and horrifying

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Do I take it that the area covered by the fire(s) is pretty well equivalent to that of this country, i.e. Ukland?

[Eek!]

(O, BTW, has The Tangerine Tweetmeister - thanks, Rossweisse - visited yet, to charm the stricken, and to allay their fears?)

IJ

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Do I take it that the area covered by the fire(s) is pretty well equivalent to that of this country, i.e. Ukland?

[Eek!]

No. If you look at the image I linked, you will see that the actual source of the smoke is much smaller. The largest fire, to the north in that image, has burned an area equivalent to just over half of London.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah yes, I see now.

Still horrendous, nonetheless.

[Votive]

IJ

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thomas Fire still going. Winds are expected to increase this week. Map of the Fire
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016