homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » A Bread Roll and a Coffee is not Breakfast at Law

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: A Bread Roll and a Coffee is not Breakfast at Law
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SBS Food: A Bread Roll and a Coffee is not Breakfast

The sensible Germans have got it right once again. For a breakfast, you must also have cold cuts and cheese.

My experience is that when there is a bain-marie at breakfast, go for the fruit toast. Only get a hot breakfast if they cook it for you on the spot.

The most disgusting place in the universe to have breakfast is at a moderately priced chain hotel in the USA. They are all the same, with the 'food' and the 'coffee' no doubt being supplied by the same company across the country. Economies of scale have in this instance produced withered sausages floating in fatty water, awful but not the worst coffee in America and waffles you have to cook yourself and which leave a nasty taste in your mouth. We had three excellent breakfasts at a B&B in California, wonderful creations which made us hum with pleasure. Our hosts were English immigrants.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only purpose of hotel restaurants is to make you poor. [Frown]

The wisest advice I ever received for business hotels is to eat where the chauffeurs eat.

The only honourable exception I have found is Montreal, where many hotels have excellent and respectably priced breakfast chain hotels at street level.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
The sensible Germans have got it right once again. For a breakfast, you must also have cold cuts and cheese.

No fruit?
[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Germany?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jawohl; Erdbeeren.
(Certainly; strawberries.)

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No one says "jawohl" since WW2. Perhaps to many movies? Jawohl is not normal to say.

You might say "ja bestimmt" though not usually all of that. "stimmit" or "natürlich" are normal ways of saying "right" or "certainly".

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Given that my last German instruction, roughly 50 years ago, came from a guy who emigrated to the US shortly after WWII, I'm grateful to have recalled the word for strawberries.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ahhh, well, fruit is not necessary for a meal to be breakfast under German tax law. [Smile] A good fruit salad with yogurt will always be one of my courses though [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
No one says "jawohl" since WW2. Perhaps to many movies? Jawohl is not normal to say.

I think the editors of Der Spiegel or Die Zeit might be surprised to hear that.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

Food etiquette? Arguments about languages other than English? I'm not seeing a topic for Purgatorial discussion here.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016