homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Buddhism and Christianity Compatible (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Buddhism and Christianity Compatible
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In his fascinating book The Silk Roads Peter Frankopan makes the assertion that Christian missionaries were in China during the resurgence of the Sasnian Empire (224 to 651 AD.) One of their tools for gaining converts was to openly say that

"All Buddhas flow and flux by virtue of the very wind [that is, the Holy Spirit], while in this world, there is no place where the wind does not reach." "As such, "man . . . will always do honor to the name of Buddha."

To put it more succinctly, Christianity and Buddhism are the same thing.

Who knew?

I have come to believe that the spiritual principals of Buddhism and Christianity are in no way incompatible. The same thing goes beyond that.

Whaddaya you think?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That doesn't sound like Christianity at all. Christ is not the Buddha. I can't imagine a Christian missionary using "Buddha" as a proper noun to refer to Christ. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Calling Christ ***A*** buddha perhaps, if the concept of a buddha is properly fleshed out. But identifying Christ with Siddhartha Gautama? No. That's crazy talk. Jesus Christ was one specific historical character. Siddhartha Gautama was another. No Christian missionary would conflate them.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently they did. There are documents from that period that say exactly that.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then they had left Christianity entirely.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really understand Buddhism, it seems to me to be on a thought track which means nothing to me.

But I would note that there have been some who see links between Christianity and Buddhism, particularly from within Roman Catholicism. For example Robert Kennedy seems to be able to operate with a foot in both worlds. I'm not sure what the powers-that-be think of this.

--------------------
arse

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also a legend that Buddhist missionaries trawled through the Middle East, not sure when. It sounds fanciful, but I suppose it may emerge from certain syncretic tendencies in some areas between the two, esp. in Asia.

I have mulled over this many a dull afternoon, as I have practised Zen for 30 years, and used to be a Christian. In practical terms they are compatible, since certain areas of Buddhism require no beliefs, and the practice of compassion is common to both, but of course, Buddhism tends towards the non-theistic. At its radical end, it also disputes the existence of the separate self, and even the world.

But there are certainly some interesting publications which straddle the two, for example, Thomas Merton is often cited.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Buddhist missionaries did indeed trawl through the Middle East and surrounds. Remember the Taliban (great bunch of guys) blew up the two Buddha statues in Afghanistan. Somebody put them there.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe going the other way the Budda was [almost] canonised [Looking it up, as Saint Josaphat]. This, of course required some incorrect assumptions*

*Not that type.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Ashoka was a great missionary sender, 270BC, but I don't know if there are any accounts of them written down. I wonder if any Roman writer mentions them?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
I believe going the other way the Budda was [almost] canonised [Looking it up, as Saint Josaphat]. This, of course required some incorrect assumptions*

*Not that type.

Barlaam and Josaphat were very popular saints during the middle ages. Perhaps his metastory (the de-facto canonization & popularity) shows something about the whole concept of veneration of the saints. Or perhaps it shows people like a good story when they hear one. I think the phenomenon is fascinating.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I was involved in a terrific Zen community for about ten years, and people in it spun off in all directions. Anyway, a friend joined a Buddhist monastery, and another friend became a Christian, and another, a Sufi. Well, we found a common language.

One of our teachers used to talk about grace a lot, although not in a Christian sense. Well, Zen talks about 'falling' sometimes, when you let go of an arduous practise, and fall into the non-dual. I think some Christians describe this also, e.g. Meister Eckhart, and de Caussade, 'The Sacrament of the Present Moment'. Self-annihilation, I suppose.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Apparently they did. There are documents from that period that say exactly that.

Which documents? Where?

I'm afraid I err on the side of scepticism on this one.

The same thing happens in reverse with instances of imagery that is patently Buddhist being seized upon by people who want to believe that they are actually examples of Christian icons in 7th century China.

I think there are overlaps/compatible practices but comparing Christianity and Buddhism is rather like comparing apples and oranges or jazz and blues or an Irish tin whistle with a didgeridoo.

I've only met a small number of Buddhists, including a monk of some rank, and they'd all say the same.

The monk was quite scathing about those who try to syncretise the two, 'They ought to seek to sound the depths of their own faith, to become the best Christians they can possibly be instead of trying to fuse two ways which are incompatible in essence, two entirely different things.'

Intriguingly, this monk is also a poet and I organised a reading for him in London with an inter-faith audience.

The next day I bumped into two guys who'd been at the reading, one Jewish, one Muslim. They'd both enjoyed the reading and the talk / Q&A but both observed, independently, that Buddhism as a concept felt alien to them as it had no concept of the 'personhood' of God.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can learn a lot from Buddhismn, espeically meditation styles and about attachment/sin.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief wrote:
quote:
Calling Christ ***A*** buddha perhaps, if the concept of a buddha is properly fleshed out. But identifying Christ with Siddhartha Gautama? No. That's crazy talk. Jesus Christ was one specific historical character. Siddhartha Gautama was another. No Christian missionary would conflate them.

No orthodox Christian would. But weren't the Chinese missionaries Nestorian - some at least? That might be worth exploring as an explanation if true.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knowing quite a few "Nestorians" [though the term isn't used these days, at least in polite society], I find it difficult to believe these were adhering to the faith. They are quite strong on an historic Jesus, and all the evidence they've told me about the China missionary journeys seems to indicate the orthodox Gospel was brought, though of course local adaptions/explanations may be used. This seems a bit too far for me.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I didn't see anything in the quote suggesting that Jesus Christ was being conflated with Siddhartha Gautama.
I don't know a lot about Buddhism, but I don't believe that the word 'Buddha' is invariably used as a proper noun synonymous with the name Siddhartha Gautama.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I think Ashoka was a great missionary sender, 270BC, but I don't know if there are any accounts of them written down.

He is said to have sent one of his sons as a missionary to Sri Lanka. (No doubt it helped smooth out the succession.)

[ 19. November 2017, 19:32: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Thich Nhat Hanh's approach in his book, Living Buddha Living Christ. See below for an overview and review.

http://www.stephaniedebry.com/2015/01/22/my-response-to-living-buddha-living-christ-by-thich-nhat-hanh/

[tried to get that link into SoF format but my phone kept doing strange things...]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I didn't see anything in the quote suggesting that Jesus Christ was being conflated with Siddhartha Gautama.
I don't know a lot about Buddhism, but I don't believe that the word 'Buddha' is invariably used as a proper noun synonymous with the name Siddhartha Gautama.

It could be a translation issue, but if you say in English "Jesus was Buddha" you are conflating the two historical characters, but if you say "Jesus was a Buddha" you are saying he was a man of a particular type or category.

Which was what I was trying to say in the post you quoted, but I may not have been clear.

[ 19. November 2017, 21:06: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Which documents? Where?

Page 59. fn 71
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF is fn?

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Foot note.
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Foot note.

Which for those of us without access to the book anytime soon says . . . ?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

It says you are trying to change the topic.
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

The Buddah talked about away of living. Jesus asked us to follow Him on his path. How different were those paths?

Rohr argues that if we can see in a non dual manner we would havea radically better understanding of whatJesus was saying.

The Buddha asked us to see in a non dual manner as well.

How incompatible were they on that issue?

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fundamental insight of Buddhism is that there is no "self", there is nothing of lasting value. Liberation then is acceptance of this insight, if there is "no self" that "I" need to cling to, then "I" can detach and live a life, moment by moment.

A certain type of Christianity would have a problem with this insight, namely Christianity that is attached to the idea of an immortal soul.

How important is an immortal soul or a fixed "self" to Christian theology?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Not at all for me.

If the qualification for being a Christian is believing in the Christ, there is a lot of room for variations on the theme.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
If the qualification for being a Christian is believing in the Christ, there is a lot of room for variations on the theme.

If that's the qualification for being a Christian, then Muslims are Christians.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

You and I agree then.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I doubt very much the Muslims would agree that they are Christians.

[ 20. November 2017, 01:18: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Which documents? Where?

Page 59. fn 71
Which cites as the source

Y. Saeki The Nestorian Documents and Relics in China (2nd edition, Tokyo, 1951), pp. 126-7 and David Scott "Christian Response to Buddhism in Pre-Medieval Times", Numen 32(1): 91-2, 1985 DOI: 10.2307/3269964

The last seems to be worth reading for the discussion at hand (though access is limited)

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting, Tortuf. IIRC, the Jesuits (much later, of course) worked with the existing beliefs of the Asians to whom they were missionaries.

Personally, I find Christianity and Buddhism to be complementary, at the least. Granted, I've put them together in my own way. I do Insight/Vipassana meditation, and find it extremely helpful. (Might take a look at books by Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, and Sylvia Boorstein.)

Whether or not Buddhism acknowledges God (in a Supreme Being sense) depends on the type of Buddhism, and perhaps the individual Buddhist.

There are many bodhisattvas, sort of super-saints or small-d deities. Quan Yin, for instance, functions as a merciful helper much like Mary, but has different stories. (A good source is "Bodhisattva of Compassion", by John Blofeld. Scholarly sources, and even personal accounts.)

As far as Christian missionaries making it to the East, and Buddhist missionaries going West: People did travel, voluntarily or otherwise. There was probably a lot going on back then that we've never heard of.

Oh, and another good read: "The Jew In The Lotus", by Joel Kamenetz. It's about the many, many Jews who've gone Buddhist, and why. (Some keep their Jewish traditions, or come back around to practicing them.) Several decades back, Jewish mystical resources (e.g. Kabbalah) weren't readily available. (IIRC, you traditionally had to be 30-something to be allowed to read it.) So they went to Eastern religions, particularly Buddhism. Anyway, it's Joel's account of tracking all this down; comparisons between the Tibetan and Jewish diasporas; and more.

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have come to believe that the spiritual principals of Buddhism and Christianity are in no way incompatible.
I think it is clear that aspects of Christian teaching are incompatible with aspects of Buddhist teaching, but in both cases there is a range of versions of the religion both in terms of what it teaches specifically and how fiercely people hold to the dogmas.

I find Buddhist teaching very helpful, as a liberal Christian, but I confine myself to westernized Buddhism, which as IngoB (late of this parish and a convert from Buddhism) pointed out many times has little to do with full-on Buddhism as taught in the East, of which there are many varieties.

I assume, with no proof, that those who wish to harmonise the two, see Jesus as a Bodhisattva, which itself is a minority Buddhist belief.

Whenever I get into the metaphysics underlying Buddhism I quickly give up as there is too much detailed metaphysical speculation for me.

The main areas of disconnect are:

1. The idea of individuals as continuing and united by love, rather than all being part of The One.

2. The idea that the final goal is not Enlightenment but The Kingdom of God which means Social Justice for all God's Creation.

Where Buddhism scores for me is in it's emphasis on the work needed to discipline our thoughts and attitudes and the need for skillful, not just sincere, living. There are, of course, Christians just as concerned with this and with Spiritual Discipline, but there is also a "leave it to God" side which is rather in the ascendant just now.

What FWIW my Dearly Beloved objects to in Buddhism is it's emphasis on Detachment.

The good side is where it teaches us to be a whole lot less interested in our own thoughts and here it does teach connectedness with the real world rather than our own thoughts which very often are just obsessive valueless ramblings and phantasies. This, in a sentence, is mindfulness.

It's when it teaches detachment from suffering and grief that it gets more controversial, but I see it as no more than the typically CBT/REBT emphasis on avoiding making anything an absolute need without which life becomes awful.

But it does tend to justify low empathy.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my first question here would be “which Buddhism”? There are many.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ethical approaches between Christianity and Buddhism are strongly similar but to me there seems one crucial fundamental difference (philosophically speaking rather than in theological detail). Buddhism teaches detachment to gain enlightenment through the avoidance of suffering (bad terms I know, but this will run pages otherwise). Christianity in its essence embraces suffering for the sake of its redemption and enlightenment. Due to this fundamental difference of approach, while it may be possible to see striking similarities in lots of things and find common ground, Buddhism and Christianity remain fundamentally different. At least, this is the impression I keep coming away with every time I encounter Buddhism in any meaningful way (of various types). It's very possible of course that I'm missing a lot more because I'm not penetrating it deeply enough.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rohr argues that if we can see in a non dual manner we would havea radically better understanding of whatJesus was saying.

The Buddha asked us to see in a non dual manner as well.

I don’t think seeing in a non-dual manner is uniquely Buddhist. Jewish culture is also non-binary.

The binary oppositions that much of Western thought rests upon (alive/dead; male/female; master/slave; body/spirit) come from Greek philosophy. Jewish/Hebraic thought, OTOH, has always been more comfortable with the idea of paradoxes which are to be held in tension. It seems much more plausible to me to ascribe the non-binary elements of Jesus’ thought to his being a Jew than to his being some kind of Buddhist.

(Slight tangent: the great challenger of binarism in more recent times was Jacques Derrida. An atheist, but most definitely a Jewish atheist.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Depends on what you mean by non-dual. In many mystics, e.g. 'The Cloud of Unknowing', there is a loss of ego, and even a loss of knowledge of God, since these are held to be barriers to transcendence . This is quite similar to some parts of Buddhism. It's the seeking subject which impels you into hell, since it divides the world into mine and thine.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

I don't see Buddhism and Christianity (pick another religion) as being alike in particulars. I see them as being alike in goals.

Transcending self as separate is one of those goals that I see common to both.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
I don't see Buddhism and Christianity (pick another religion) as being alike in particulars. I see them as being alike in goals.

Transcending self as separate is one of those goals that I see common to both.

Yes, I've always seen it like this, but I think a lot of Christians don't. I mean, they may pay lip service to the idea of transcending self, but not in the radical sense, that you get in Buddhism, 'neither the self nor the world exists'. Too scary, isn't it?

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It says you are trying to change the topic.

Huh? How is it changing the topic? You said there are documents supporting the assertion in your OP. When asked to identify those documents, you provided a citation to a footnote in a book, rather than telling us what documents are identified in that footnote. Seems directly on topic to me to ask you to identify the document(s) you’re referring to/relying on.

Meanwhile, thanks Net Spinster.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Nestorian Stele" would be a helpful example of documentation of the more-clearly-orthodox Church of the East mission to China.

The Wikipedia article notes:
quote:
There are also two much later stelae (from 960 and 1365) presenting a curious mix of Christian and Buddhist aspects, which are preserved at the site of the former Monastery of the cross in the Fangshan District, near Beijing.
And cites Moule, A. C. (1930). Christians in China before the year 1550. London: SPCK. pp. 86−89.

I don't find it at all remarkable that an attempt by Persian missionaries to render the gospel from Aramaic into a Chinese language and culture would incorporate significant local religious vocabulary, but am not convinced that including some Buddhist concepts would mean it was endorsing Buddhist ideas. Consider by comparison the relationship between Islam or western Christianity and Aristotelianism, or Christianity in general with Platonism—adopting elements of these philosophies in order to express the gospel is far from abandoning Christianity.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes, I'm with Bostonman.

Parallels and some overlaps in intention certainly, to some extent, but not exact compatibility.

That isn't necessarily a value judgement.

Germans and Italians are both Europeans but they also have cultural and other differences.

Buddhism, as far as I am aware, is essentially non-theistic - or at least conceives of the divine in a very different way to the Judeo-Christian tradition.

So any parallels and complementary aspects can only go so far.

That's not to rubbish it or slag it off, far from it, it's simply to acknowledge where the fundamental difference lies.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Knowing quite a few "Nestorians" [though the term isn't used these days, at least in polite society], I find it difficult to believe these were adhering to the faith. They are quite strong on an historic Jesus, and all the evidence they've told me about the China missionary journeys seems to indicate the orthodox Gospel was brought, though of course local adaptions/explanations may be used. This seems a bit too far for me.

I suspect your Nestorians are originally from the Middle East, originally. They are not, therefore, evidence for how Nestorian Christianity evolved in China. You've basically got two communities with a common source, located at either end of Asia. One stayed much the same over the centuries and the other, exposed to a different culture, didn't.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I was about to reply with something similar, Callan. I do take the point about using the word "Nestorian" for current churches of the east, but as well as the issue highlighted, they have also gone through cycles and are not necessarily to be directly equated with what went before without the risk of presentism. I'm at a loss what else to call them. Whether the suggestion was right though I don't know - I just put the idea out for consideration.

Bostonman wrote:
quote:
I don't find it at all remarkable that an attempt by Persian missionaries to render the gospel from Aramaic into a Chinese language and culture would incorporate significant local religious vocabulary, but am not convinced that including some Buddhist concepts would mean it was endorsing Buddhist ideas. Consider by comparison the relationship between Islam or western Christianity and Aristotelianism, or Christianity in general with Platonism—adopting elements of these philosophies in order to express the gospel is far from abandoning Christianity.
John Zizioulas addresses this issue in an essay in "Being as Communion". Basically he agrees, the acid test being whether distinctives are maintained. Provided they are, then - fine.

[ 20. November 2017, 16:02: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
In practical terms they are compatible, since certain areas of Buddhism require no beliefs, and the practice of compassion is common to both, but of course,

Commonality is not compatibility.
quote:

Buddhism tends towards the non-theistic.

Non-thiesm means that god(s) are not the point. Traditions vary about their existence and purpose, but they are not necessary. This is the opposite of Christianity. My favourite quote about dropping GOD into Buddhism is that he has nothing to do.
IMO, the non-salvation bits of Jesus' teaching are very compatible with Buddhism. Jesus would have made a terrific bodhisattva. However, the salvation bits, not to mention the problematic OT, put a sharp line between Buddhism and Christianity.
quote:

I think there are overlaps/compatible practices but comparing Christianity and Buddhism is rather like comparing apples and oranges or jazz and blues or an Irish tin whistle with a didgeridoo.

Pedantic note: Jazz and Blues share much more than either of your other examples.

quote:

The monk was quite scathing about those who try to syncretise the two, 'They ought to seek to sound the depths of their own faith, to become the best Christians they can possibly be instead of trying to fuse two ways which are incompatible in essence, two entirely different things.'

I think this is an overstatement, but it isn't wrong. Christianity has its own contemplative traditions, which is the bit that draws some to Buddhism. IME/IMO anyway.
Whilst I believe the overemphasis of self in Christianity is harmful, and I do think a degree of separation from self is evident in Jesus' teaching, it is not to the level generally thought of in Buddhism.
quote:
Originally posted by anteater:

I find Buddhist teaching very helpful, as a liberal Christian, but I confine myself to westernized Buddhism, which as IngoB (late of this parish and a convert from Buddhism) pointed out many times has little to do with full-on Buddhism as taught in the East, of which there are many varieties.

Buddhism in the west ≠ westernised Buddhism. However, Theravada/Mahayana/Vajrayana Buddhism practised in the east often differs from the same practised in the west. Culture informs religion and, often, this forms a barrier between adherents.
Buddhism also has the same issue as any other religion in that the practices can be at odds with the essentials of the original teachings. And the arguments of what that exactly means.

[ 20. November 2017, 16:07: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I'm glad lilBuddha's come along as it's always best to hear from an adherent of a particular religion or ideological system rather than those who simply appropriate elements of it in a mix'n'match kind of way ...

On the pedantic point, yes, I'm well aware that jazz and blues are more closely related than the other things on my list. I wanted a list that had some similar elements as well as dissimilar - such as 'chalk and cheese'.

At any rate, what lilBuddha writes chimes with what I've heard from the Buddhist monk I mentioned and one or two other Buddhists I've met over the years.

We always have to be careful that we are comparing like with like.

Both Hindus and Christians fast, for instance, does that mean that they intend to achieve the same 'results' or have the same expectations?

I agree with lilBuddha that the 'non-salvific' aspects of Christianity do resonate with aspects of Buddhist concern and practice.

But as lilBuddha also says, 'Commonality is not compatibility.'

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Saviour" concept in Mahayana Buddhism can be compatible with Christianity, bearing in mind, that Buddhist philosophy may be at odds with what some lay Buddhists practice.

Lay Buddhists may ask the Buddha for blessing for increased wealth and happiness, even though Buddha condemned materialism, not much different than Christians praying to Jesus to win the lottery or receive a raise.

Devotion to the Buddhas leads not necessarily to existential salvation after death, but to an increased compassion for all beings. Applying this to Christianity, worshipping Jesus is IMHO not about a lottery ticket to heaven or to wealth or blessing for one's own sake, but to develop compassion for all beings. To worship the Father, brings us to see the world through the Father's eyes, through the eyes of infinite, compassionate love.

[ 20. November 2017, 16:59: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
The "Saviour" concept in Mahayana Buddhism can be compatible with Christianity,

Not in my understanding. In Christianity, the salvation is through Jesus. in Buddhism, it is through the teaching, not the teacher. Some forms of Buddhism do speak of someone who will teach the pure dharma, but they are not necessary for enlightenment.*
quote:

Lay Buddhists may ask the Buddha for blessing for increased wealth and happiness, even though Buddha condemned materialism, not much different than Christians praying to Jesus to win the lottery or receive a raise.

And both are wrong.
quote:

Devotion to the Buddhas leads not necessarily to existential salvation after death, but to an increased compassion for all beings. Applying this to Christianity, worshipping Jesus is IMHO not about a lottery ticket to heaven or to wealth or blessing for one's own sake, but to develop compassion for all beings. To worship the Father, brings us to see the world through the Father's eyes, through the eyes of infinite, compassionate love.

Both paths run in parallel here, yes. However, they do not have the same destination.

*The understanding of which is a whole other topic.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Non-thiesm means that god(s) are not the point. Traditions vary about their existence and purpose, but they are not necessary. This is the opposite of Christianity. My favourite quote about dropping GOD into Buddhism is that he has nothing to do.

How is that a problem? The idea that God is a thing that needs something to do is a misunderstanding of Christian (and Muslim and Jewish and Sikh) theology.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

How is that a problem? The idea that God is a thing that needs something to do is a misunderstanding of Christian (and Muslim and Jewish and Sikh) theology.
Does it clarify if I say God has no point or purpose in Buddhism?
ISTM, even outside of an internationalist idea of God, his existence is an active force. Unless one is a deist, I suppose.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016