homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Buddhism and Christianity Compatible (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Buddhism and Christianity Compatible
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is your understandings of 'work'. Yes you have interpretations but for us there is not a single only satisfying correct interpretation. You can produce coherency but from my liberal perspective there is often more light to be gained from where things do not fit.

Again please do not tell me what my tradition says.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right LilBuddha for over thirty years I have tried to consistently read through all of the standard Protestant Bible and for part of that time it included the Apocrypha. I have also read and used commentaries from a wide range of backgrounds and have applied a wide range of different Bible interpretative techniques. I have even tried to learn Greek to improve my knowledge of the Bible. Alone and with others I have consistently joined in the search to look for what is God saying through scripture. I have also listened to many others who have sought to proclaim the Word. I am high end but not exceptional in the tradition I stand in even as a non-cleric. No doubt I have got it wrong as often as right but I am always trying again.

In doing this interaction with scripture, I am not trying to read off a single coherent narrative or set of doctrine. That would be to constrain God. What I see is the messiness of people trying to communicate an experience of the divine and often getting it wrong. The text works not by giving answers but by giving space to try and understand their encounter. Of course it is inconsistent. Some of that is because we get it wrong. Some of that is that the divine cannot really be contained in human experience let alone an account of human experience. Some of it is simply lack of comprehension.

I suppose I take seriously John Robinson's popular Quote from an account of his Farewell to Leyden Speech
quote:
...he[John Robinson] charged us before God and his blessed angels, to follow him no further than he followed Christ; and if God should reveal anything to us by any other instrument of his, to be as ready to receive it, as ever we were to receive any truth by his ministry; for he was very confident the Lord had more truth and light yet to break forth out of his holy word
With such a heritage there can never be a single authoritative interpretation. It is an ongoing act of revelation not a final word.

All I try to do is bear witness to the sometimes glorious, sometimes paradoxical and sometimes dissonant interaction with the Divine I experience through bringing my life into contact with the Bible.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
That is your understandings of 'work'. Yes you have interpretations but for us there is not a single only satisfying correct interpretation. You can produce coherency but from my liberal perspective there is often more light to be gained from where things do not fit.

I do not mean to offend, but I cannot make sense from this statement.
quote:

Jengie

i am not telling you what your tradition says. I am saying that there are inconsistencies in the Bible and that all traditions have work arounds. How you address, ignore or otherwise deal with that is up to you. I’m not saying anything that Christians have not said and I cannot help that you do not like this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie, whatever LilBuddha may be saying,it makes sense to me and I'm finding it inspiring. Thank you.
[Overused]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This is one of the most startling thing about the Ship. The tendency of people to spout off on what other people believe. It is worse than annoying, I find it offensive. This is only one thread where this is happening on a regular basis.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:

This is one of the most startling thing about the Ship. The tendency of people to spout off on what other people believe. It is worse than annoying, I find it offensive. This is only one thread where this is happening on a regular basis.
You are aware that this is a place of discussion, not proclamation? And it is, at least generally, of a religious nature?
If I say you, sharkshooter, really believe X despite you saying Y; then I am rude. If I point out, in a conversation about religion that you voluntarily join, that I think there is contradiction within the materials and teachings, how is that rude? Especially when it isn't an uncommon POV within your own community.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I say that Christianity or Buddhism are complete bollocks, is that rude? I don't see why. It's different from saying to one individual that their ideas are bollocks, but even then, that seems OK to me.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

quote:

Sharkshooter, if despite Commandment 5, you find yourself offended, the place to talk about it is Hell. Not here.

If you have complaints about how threads are being hosted, the place to complain is the Styx. Not here.

Everybody: please dial down the rhetoric, take special care to avoid anything that could be construed as a personal attack, and take any remaining personal differences to Hell.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
If I say that Christianity or Buddhism are complete bollocks, is that rude? I don't see why. It's different from saying to one individual that their ideas are bollocks, but even then, that seems OK to me.

What is felt to be rude is going to vary a bit.
If you say someone’s religion is bollocks unasked, I think that would be rude. If you say it is bollocks during a discussion without any reasoning, it could be rude. If you say it is bollocks during a discussion and give your reasons why, it is not rude. Especially not on a website that bills itself as unrestful.
I find it difficult to see how what I have been saying on this thread is rude and I hope how I’ve been saying it isn’t perceived so.

[ 04. December 2017, 16:38: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tortuf wrote:

quote:
So, where I disagree with you is the necessity of learning how to become open to the divine. I think humans all have to learn how to reject ego so that they can truly experience God. We learn early on how to put ego in charge. Ego filters God, therefore learning how to reject ego allows a clearer view of God. It's like wiping schmutz off of my glasses.

The fruits of learning how to experience God for me lie in no longer worrying about what will happen when I die. I know that God is here - right now - always. I know that God loves me just the way I am. I don't have to change anything to be loved by God because love is the nature of God.

This is terrific stuff that you are writing. I would only make several points - some people seem able to just slide off the ego without a lot of effort, just as some people are able to love.

In some Eastern religions, the erosion of ego, is followed by a further acceptance of it, as also part of the divine. I'm trying to think of a famous saying on this, well, 'samsara is nirvana', will do.* When the discriminating mind ceases, then the dual ceases. Some of the Hindu mystics seem drunk on this, as every detail is divine, even the mosquito bites. But the West loves its separations.

* Just the proviso that nirvana does not equal the divine.

[ 04. December 2017, 16:49: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I say that Christianity or Buddhism are complete bollocks, is that rude?

Yes.

quote:
I don't see why.
Then you need to learn about how people feel about their personal beliefs, and how it feels to them to have them described with a rude term.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
hosting/

quote:

Sharkshooter, if despite Commandment 5, you find yourself offended, the place to talk about it is Hell. Not here.

If you have complaints about how threads are being hosted, the place to complain is the Styx. Not here.

Everybody: please dial down the rhetoric, take special care to avoid anything that could be construed as a personal attack, and take any remaining personal differences to Hell.

/hosting

Please accept my apologies.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you quetzalcoatl. I take your point about ego coming back.

In my case I still have a substantial ego. I am simply learning when it is my ego's self centered fear that is in charge, or the healthy kind of ego where I know that I have abilities and can accomplish things when I seek appropriate guidance and help.

Everyone's mileage obviously varies. For me shedding bad ego has not resulted in any change in God, or how God relates to me. Indeed I have found that God has always been reaching out to me, even when I didn't like myself. Shedding bad ego (as much as I can anyway) has been roughly equivalent to cleaning the lenses of my glasses.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I saw a great interview with a Tibetan teacher, who had been in meditation for 40 years or something like that, and the journalist said, after all that time, you must have shrunk the shadow to a dot. (Shadow meaning all the murky stuff in the psyche). And the teacher said, no, shadow now enormous.

One of those paradoxes.

Since I stopped being a Christian, I have been amazed to see all the God-intoxication in different religions. There is a kind of core, which abuts them all. In the non-dual, you are the core, you are love, you are the Christ.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Since I stopped being a Christian, I have been amazed to see all the God-intoxication in different religions. ...

Is that really that amazing? Is it any more grounds for amazement than going along to a meeting of trainspotters and then saying they spend all their time talking about trains and going to places where they can collect numbers?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
... Since I stopped being a Christian, I have been amazed to see all the God-intoxication in different religions. ...

Is that really that amazing? Is it any more grounds for amazement than going along to a meeting of trainspotters and then saying they spend all their time talking about trains and going to places where they can collect numbers?
Ah well, the fault is mine. I had spiritual cataracts, but praise to Chthulu, they have been raised.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016