homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » The Boston Declaration

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Boston Declaration
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have shipmates come across the Boston Declaration? Given the general despair over American evangelicalism, I would guess most are sympathetic to the cause.

I wonder how effective such a move may be in addressing those to whom it is directed.

At the same time, I've been thinking for some time that we might need to talk of evangelicalisms rather than evangelicalism. Even though there might be good reason to celebrate the rich breadth of expressions, when I look at what Americans refer to as evangelicalism, I see scant all relation to the various streams of British evangelicalism that I am much more familiar with; some of which I have a better relationship with than others. Is the time right to acknowledge that we are using the same word to describe vastly different things?

I also think of 1 Corinthians 12 , and while many here may regard the American evangelical church as the weaker part of the body, how can we treat them both with the special honour that is called for while also critiquing those points of theology and practice that are so at odds with what might be regarded as a more liberal orthodoxy? To paraphrase:
quote:
The Baptist eye cannot say to the Methodist hand, ‘I have no need of you’, nor again the Anglican head to the Evangelical feet, ‘I have no need of you.’

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D'oh! Missed the edit window. First link is to a Huffpost article (whose link purporting to be the declaration is a dud). Link to the actual declaration is here.

Could a kindly host please amend my blunder? [Help]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I wonder how effective such a move may be in addressing those to whom it is directed.

My hunch, I’m afraid, is not effective at all. My quick read of the Declaration gave me the impression that the writers were talking “at” those with whom they disagree rather than trying to talk “with” them. They seem to be preaching to the choir.

I suspect those to whom it is directed will dismiss it as unscriptural liberalism.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suspect those to whom it is directed will dismiss it as unscriptural liberalism.

The symbolism attached to the host city would be enough of a red-cape for people eager to lamabaste the statement.

(And no, I'm not talking about red-blooded patriots tossing tea into the harbour.)

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may puzzle some shipmates, but isn't this Declaration as driven by broadly the same assumptions that underlie what they reject in the statement
quote:
"We reject the false ideology of American exceptionalism"
as everything they are speaking against? It's posited on the same belief in "manifest destiny" but seeing its outworking in a different ethos.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
This may puzzle some shipmates, but isn't this Declaration as driven by broadly the same assumptions that underlie what they reject in the statement
quote:
"We reject the false ideology of American exceptionalism"
as everything they are speaking against? It's posited on the same belief in "manifest destiny" but seeing its outworking in a different ethos.
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying that they themselves are guilty of some form of American Exceptionalism? I'm not sure I see that in their statement.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it does embody a form of 'manifest destiny' then surely it does so in a more positive way than the alternatives?

One might argue that the shadow of US exceptionalism is bound to be there, however implicitly, if not as a position to embrace but as one to react against.

If a parallel declaration were to emerge from evangelical voices here in the UK then the whole issue of Britain's former colonial history, its sense of identity and 'role' as the Brexit mess unfolds etc etc would be some kind of subtext there.

Whatever the case, I did find myself wondering why anti-RC feeling wasn't identified in the Boston Declaration as that has certainly played a big role in the more WASP-ish aspects of US conversatism in the past.

But then, from what I've seen online the more right-wing ends of the RC and Orthodox spectrums are just as Trumpish, Islamophobic and white supremacist as some elements within US evangelicalism.

But then, no branches of Christianity are homogeneous and there ranges and varieties of expressions of evangelicalism just as there are ranges and varieties elsewhere.

As far as the differences between UK and US evangelicalism go, I suspect it's more a question of scale than anything else. I'm sure we could find UK examples of the most egregious forms of evangelicalism, only on a far smaller scale as the evangelical constituency is a lot smaller here.

It's easy to point fingers across the Pond, a lot harder to put our own houses in order.

As to what the Boston Declaration can achieve: not a great deal I would submit, other than for one section of US evangelicalism to signal that it isn't like that other section over there.

One could be cynical and argue that there's something a bit 'virtue-signalling' and Pharisaical about the whole thing: I thank God I'm not like those rascist, homophobic, Islamophobic conservative bastards over there ...

Rather than make declarations and sign manifestoes, I'd rather people pursued a more excellent way by example and simply getting on and loving their neighbours as themselves.

However, I can certainly see why they would want to publicly distance themselves from the more right-wing elements of their own tradition/s.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Whatever the case, I did find myself wondering why anti-RC feeling wasn't identified in the Boston Declaration as that has certainly played a big role in the more WASP-ish aspects of US conversatism in the past.

But then, from what I've seen online the more right-wing ends of the RC and Orthodox spectrums are just as Trumpish, Islamophobic and white supremacist as some elements within US evangelicalism.

From what I've been able to observe these days, Know-Nothing anti-Catholicsm of the type that took down Al Smith in 1928 is now pretty much a dead force among conservative protestants.

I remember when GHW Bush was lib-baiting Mike Dukakis in '88, he criticized him for being a member of the ACLU, saying in one of the debates "I don't want to deny tax-exempt status to Catholic schools"(an ACLU position at the time).

That would not have been a wise move on Bush's part had there been a signficant number of evangelicals who still subscribed to stuff like this. He would have been better advised to say "religious schools", had that been the case.

[ 23. November 2017, 13:12: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad that somewhere in the church there is the sense that we have to pull back from the brink. The believers who insist on tying themselves to Crooked Don and all his works must be clearly distinguished from people who are actually interested in Jesus Christ.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016