homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Royal Wedding: Who's in, and who's out? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Royal Wedding: Who's in, and who's out?
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry and Barak seem to have developed a close relationship. Looks like Michelle and Barak will receive an invitation. Question: will the Trumps?

And if the Trumps do, will they go if the Obamas are there?

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O, I do hope the Obamas are there! Worth turning the TV on for...

As for the egregious Great Orange Goblin (and poor imprisoned Melancholia), no.

No. No. No. No.

In any case, the security logistics would be difficult, to say the least.

And who would want the Chief Of Goblins anywhere near such engaging ladies as Markle The Sparkle, and Michelle Obama? Not to mention the Obamas' daughters?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unlike the Cambridge wedding which was a state affair held in the hoopla of the City of London, the former spare's wedding will be held in Berks. at St George's Chapel which, although a venue of large size, is more suited to a "family" wedding. I have no doubt the TVs will be there, but the guest list is likely to be friends and family. I don't think Le Grand Orange qualifies whereas the senior Obamas do. The place might be packed out with Harry's former girlfriends, though. [Killing me]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Trump is going to have to come here anyway at some point next year, he might as well combine his visit with attendance at the wedding. I assume it would be diplomatically advantageous.

The police will be out in full force anyway so they might as well pull out all the stops for a bunch of VIPs in one fell swoop rather than having to look after the president on a separate occasion.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since it is not a state wedding, I assume that countries do not necessarily need to send official representatives.

Though I assume commonwealth countries such as Canada and Australia should send representatives.

Question: Is it a rule that the ABC must officiate all royal weddings?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing about security for Trump is that it would not only involve UK security, it would perforce involve US security, ie the Secret Service. That would take more finangling and bother, and the Happy Couple might not want the fuss.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the wedding appears to be on the same day as the Cup Final, the country will be too busy practising its religion (worship of Sport and Slebrities) to turn out for the Great Goblin.

In any case, as Uncle Pete says, the wedding is likely to be a 'family' affair, though no doubt there will be a few hardy souls in the streets of Windsor. Hardly enough to gratify the huuuuuge desires of the Great Goblin, who only wants the bigliest crowds out to adore Him. Covfefe.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A small point, the Obamas still have secret service protection though the detail is greatly reduced.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes indeed, but presumably much less than that required by the Great Orange Goblin.

The idea of combining the Royal Wedding with the not-really-wanted State visit by the GOG is, frankly, ridiculous.

I'm sure Harry and the Sparkle have more sense, and, indeed, good taste.

IJ

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Since Trump is going to have to come here anyway at some point next year, he might as well combine his visit with attendance at the wedding. I assume it would be diplomatically advantageous.

Actually, T is likely to cause some sort of diplomatic incident. Better for him to go to his Mar-A-Lago resort, and watch it on TV. (And someone should hide his phone.)

Or play golf, and not watch it at all.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the newspapers are saying Trump will come here for a 'working visit' at some point in the new year. The fact that he's unpopular in the UK doesn't seem to be enough of a reason to keep him away indefinitely.

[ 27. December 2017, 23:57: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is the proportion of rich rubbish** to normal humans present at one of these affairs? Would the gooey orange puffball make any differencr?

**defining rich rubbish as doesn't and never has worked for a living, and / or inherited some title. Nothing earned. All given.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one with the sense Christ gave a goat would want Crooked Don near them at their wedding.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
No one with the sense Christ gave a goat would want Crooked Don near them at their wedding.

...or anywhere else.
[Disappointed]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The guest list is likely to be similar to that for, say, Edward and Sophie. In other words, the only heads of state were such foreign royals as are family friends because its not a "state" wedding.

I'd expect a full-house of Windsors, plus royals from Denmark and Norway, maybe the Dutch and Spanish, Constantine of Greece. Not Monaco or Belgium.

Some from armed force's charities plus people Harry served with. And, of course, friends of the bride.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
What is the proportion of rich rubbish** to normal humans present at one of these affairs? Would the gooey orange puffball make any differencr?

**defining rich rubbish as doesn't and never has worked for a living, and / or inherited some title. Nothing earned. All given.

Mind you, some of the rich rubbish swan around the world on their yachts being decorative, and some work hard to contribute to those with less. People like Harry don't just give their name as a sponsor of a charity but get stuck in to make a difference – and he took after his mother. And his grannie has a non-stop schedule, which you'd think would be a killer at her age, but she sees it as a duty, and she does make an impression on people which the GOPB wouldn't if he ever went to the trouble of meeting the Hoi polloi unless it was a way to make a few million bucks.
Does he bother to go and even talk to people when there's been a cyclone or a bush fire?

Pardon the rant. Maybe I've eaten too much of my Christmas chocolate. I'm not a Royal watcher, but there's more than one kind of rich and famous.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I'd expect a full-house of Windsors, plus royals from Denmark and Norway, maybe the Dutch and Spanish, Constantine of Greece. Not Monaco or Belgium.

The Grimaldi, of course, are not royal, nor is the Prince of Liechtenstein. The Queen's relationship with the present Belgians is not the same as it was with Baudouin and Fabiola.

The groom is now 5th in line, and soon to be 6th. It's not really a State affair. Even so, I'd expect an offical guest from each of the countries of which HM is queen - but not from other Commonwealth nations. No official guests from any other country, only personal ones. Of course if the Trumps were invited, Prince Phillip could always try out his different sense of humour on them.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do we care? We're not invited, we don't get a say. We just get the bill.

Bunch of pointless dole scroungers.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Harry and Barak seem to have developed a close relationship. Looks like Michelle and Barak will receive an invitation. Question: will the Trumps?

Isn't there something in the Handbook of Royal Protocol about not inviting someone to the wedding if they've bragged about how they could've banged the groom's dead mother? Aside from the general overall loathsome unpleasantness of Donald Trump there's an additional specific skeeviness factor in play here.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

If there isn't anything in the said Handbook, then there bloody well ought to be.

If it's true (and it's in the Daily Heil, so It Must Be True), then here's yet another reason for banning the Great Goblin from even entering our airspace, let alone actually setting foot on our soil.

[Mad]

IJ

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Karl, other than security details, I think the family will be paying for the wedding. As I recall, they reported the Windsor family paid for William's wedding.
The BBC Report

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Karl, other than security details, I think the family will be paying for the wedding. As I recall, they reported the Windsor family paid for William's wedding.
The BBC Report

They get their money from us. And we pay directly for the security.

It's one of the few areas where I'd go along with Russ's model of being able to opt out of contributing to things. We don't need them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe they could all go to one of Trump's golf clubs and have their wedding there. Or isn't there a rocky island somewhere in the Atlantic, perfect for an intimate family gathering? Or how about Alcatraz?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

They can go where they f***ing well like, as long as they don't invite The Great Orange Goblin here.

I wonder how feasible it would be to engineer a minor earthquake, so that, if and when The Great Orange Goblin sets foot on this sceptred isle, the earth opens, and swallows him up.....

.....thereby releasing the accursed but sympathy-worthy Melancholia from her bondage.

Not to mention the world at large, of course.

IJ

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the money for the sovereign's and royal family expenses came from money from crown lands which were given to Parliament in the 18th c. when George the whatever was in debt?

So the money only comes from us very, very indirectly if at all - if you believe crown lands shouldn't be crown lands, I suppose.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Actually, come to think of it, the earthquake scenario would make a nice little fillum, no?

Alec Baldwin as the Great Goblin, of course, and perhaps Markle the Sparkle as a mightily-relieved Melancholia?

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Och, let them get on with it. Why waste all this hot air.

*It isn't a state wedding - as said already.
*It is in St George's Chapel which is enclosed inside Windsor Castle. So not so public friendly for viewing as St Paul's or Westminster.
*The Royals are paying for it themselves.
*The guest list, we are told, is who they want. Let them do it their way. We have no say.

At least Harry and his brother have done some "real" work. I knew a lady who's neighbour was involved in a road accident in Suffolk and William was the pilot of the air ambulance that picked her up. It was his job. Don't see the big orange monster or some other celebs doing that as a job!

Harry stared the Invictis Games among other things. My son worked as a techie on the games and said that and Harry was very nice and funny and treated everyone the same. Can't say that for other celebs. Some he has worked with in the theatre and entertainment have been very nasty and full of themseleves, even to those who work with them, he says .....but not Harry.

Give them a break. It's not their fault they were born into an anorcharistic family. At least they are trying to modernise it!

There are more important things in the world to worry about.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

Isn't there something in the Handbook of Royal Protocol about not inviting someone to the wedding if they've bragged about how they could've banged the groom's dead mother? Aside from the general overall loathsome unpleasantness of Donald Trump there's an additional specific skeeviness factor in play here.
As Omar would say. "Oh, INDEED!"

If Harry and Meghan want to troll our Brexit establishment they will invite Barack and family and have the whole thing presided over by +London. The shrieks of "GAAAH! Beryl!" and the exploding heads, a la Scanners will be joyous to behold. It will be the joke about asylum seekers discovered to be the natural predators of paedophiles made flesh.

It will also make up for the last Royal Wedding, to which a bunch of insubstantial Tory chancers were invited - I'm looking at you Jon "ERM and Bosnia" Major and you Dave "Referendum" Cameron,, but not the Prime Ministers who, respectively, saved the Monarchy and ended the civil conflict in Northern Ireland and helped save the global economy. But I bet Charles and the Establishment get involved and scotch any subversiveness.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Isn't there something in the Handbook of Royal Protocol about not inviting someone to the wedding if they've bragged about how they could've banged the groom's dead mother? ...

Ewww. I missed that one, but then I was never a watcher of either Trump <ptui> or the royals. I'm not a fan of Diana's, but this is really loathesome, even for the Orange Goblin.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's beyond "ewww" and out the other side. What a total slimeball.

**shudder**

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O Earth! Open up, gape wide, and swallow Him......!

Earth gaped.

And the World breathed again....

(with apologies to E R Eddison)

IJ

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
q--

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Maybe they could all go to one of Trump's golf clubs and have their wedding there. Or isn't there a rocky island somewhere in the Atlantic, perfect for an intimate family gathering? Or how about Alcatraz?

Alcatraz? You want them to get married at an abandoned prison?

Which is also a tourist attraction?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
q--

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

Alcatraz? You want them to get married at an abandoned prison?

Which is also a tourist attraction?

Why not just send Trump to Alcatraz?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why burden the people of the SF Bay Area with his presence, especially when they are trying to enjoy themselves by looking across the Golden Gate or at the Bay?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Why burden the people of the SF Bay Area with his presence, especially when they are trying to enjoy themselves by looking across the Golden Gate or at the Bay?

There must be a secure cell out of view of the tourists. I've never been there -- do they have a dungeon?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He could be tipped, rolled, overboard on the way there. I remember hearing about sharks when I visited.

Then again ... sharks have taste. He may just have to freeze.

Everytime I think he has slipped to his lowest, something else pops up. God knows what will be next.

[ 28. December 2017, 23:33: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Ian--you have heard of air travel, have you not? If it weren't for DT getting to use AF1, I could hope the engines would drop off the wings about mid-flight. But I would not want to lose AF1.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

SPK--

quote:

Amen!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Pigwidgeon--

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

There must be a secure cell out of view of the tourists. I've never been there -- do they have a dungeon?
This may help.

Official National Park Service site for Alcatraz. Pics, history, etc.

I've made a point of never going there. There is an option for tourists to be briefly locked in a cell. I so don't want even my imagination to go there.
[Paranoid]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to Alcatraz. I did not opt for the locking-in. I disliked the place intensely.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look on the bright side. It will be amazingly quiet anywhere outside that day as everyone else will be inside staring at the flummery of the royal soap opera or the bladder kicking.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a football fan, then? [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
I'm looking at you Jon "ERM and Bosnia" Major and you Dave "Referendum" Cameron,, but not the Prime Ministers who, respectively, saved the Monarchy and ended the civil conflict in Northern Ireland and helped save the global economy.

Quite right, John Major should certainly get no credit for ending the civil conflict in Northern Ireland. It was all that nice Mr Hand-of-history-on-my-shoulder-bringer-of-peace-throughout-the-globe, from a standing start, from May 1997 [Roll Eyes]

OTOH, the fact that he was made guardian of William and Harry following the death of their mother might have something to do with his invitation....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Callan
quote:
It will also make up for the last Royal Wedding, to which a bunch of insubstantial Tory chancers were invited - I'm looking at you Jon "ERM and Bosnia" Major
As is pointed out above, It was John Major who put in the spade-work for the Northern Ireland Agreement, not Mr Blair; and it was John Major who tried to walk the tight-rope between the Wales's from the time of their separation onwards and, in particular, urged that they should be allowed to divorce rather than just remaining separated.
quote:
... and you Dave "Referendum" Cameron,
Mr Cameron was invited to the wedding of the Cambridges because he was PM at the time and William is second-in-line to the throne. You may well think there was no need for a referendum but, having promised one during the run-up to and the campaign for the 2015 election Mr Cameron was in honour bound to hold same: just because you didn't approve of it happening or like the result doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened - and the result was in large part guaranteed by the stupidity of Herr Juncker and EU politicians who failed utterly to understand the nature of the UK electorate or our electoral processes.
quote:

...but not the Prime Ministers who, respectively, saved the Monarchy and ended the civil conflict in Northern Ireland

Don't believe everything you see on screen. The mass hysteria that erupted following the sudden and untimely death of Diana, Princess of Wales, was at least in part encouraged by the lunacy of the initial statement made by Mr Blair: the catch in the voice and the people's princess nonsense may have made sense in a novel but was wholly inappropriate at the time. Anyone else remember the annoyance expressed by Downing Street with Diana and her trip to Angola to see the work of the HALO Trust? Alastair Campbell made no secret of the fact that they thought she was and air-head who was grandstanding and journalists were not only leaked to on those lines but there were questions in the House of Commons about the visit and Blair (and his government) did nothing to offer support or approval of it. And during the week of national hysteria when the press and public rounded on the queen, Blair did nothing to calm things down by pointing out the bleeding obvious which was that children who had just lost their mother should be allowed to stay out of sight with granny and their father, rather than being paraded in front of a mob and expected to emote to order.
quote:
...and helped save the global economy.
!!! Having been warned for 9 years that the ever-more-lax regulatory framework he put in place for banking in the UK was a recipe for disaster, Brown then guaranteed a collapse at RBS/NatWest by refusing to call-in their takeover of ABN-Amro when it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was crazy. And the Lloyds TSB-BoS scheme wasn't too clever either. Moreover, having failed on those counts, he then took the one area where Northern Rock-Bradford & Bingley were profitable (Buy-to-Let lending) and insisted that those loans be shut down and/or sold on at a loss rather than putting them into a government owned institution which could have made a profit to offset the cost of some of the billions he decided to use propping up RBS. The most sensible thing he could have done, not only for UK but for world banking, would have been to have allowed one major UK bank to fail - pour encourager les autres (to encourage the others) and concentrate minds in the financial sector onto something other than their own financial ends and goals.
quote:
But I bet Charles and the Establishment get involved and scotch any subversiveness.
I just love the way people talk about "the establishment" as if it actually existed: it doesn't and never has, save in a few generally accepted rules to do with protocol and polite behaviour.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
The BBC Report

They get their money from us. And we pay directly for the security.

It's one of the few areas where I'd go along with Russ's model of being able to opt out of contributing to things. We don't need them.

I'm no big fan of the royals, but to be fair, until recently Prince William was employed full time as an Air Ambulance pilot. He donated his salary (on which he'd paid tax and national insurance) to charity.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a royalist, but I get it. You all might complain about your royals, but the monarchy is how you don't have someone like Trump as head of sta [Projectile] Ugh, I can't even finish that sentence. It's too much. [Help]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

The fact of Donald Trump in the White House makes me yearn to have the gracious Queen Elizabeth II as my monarch. And I'm not a royalist.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I'm not a royalist, but I get it. You all might complain about your royals, but the monarchy is how you don't have someone like Trump as head of sta [Projectile]

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but someone like Trump could still, if the citizens of the UK went mad as some of your populace did, be PM. And be jet-setting around the world representing England, or Scotland or Wales or NI. Not Head of State, some small mercy, but the PM has a larger role if I understand it day-to-day.

I now have a vision of Trump conducting Brexit negotiations. I think I need a lie down.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I'm not a royalist, but I get it. You all might complain about your royals, but the monarchy is how you don't have someone like Trump as head of sta [Projectile]

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but someone like Trump could still, if the citizens of the UK went mad as some of your populace did, be PM. And be jet-setting around the world representing England, or Scotland or Wales or NI. Not Head of State, some small mercy, but the PM has a larger role if I understand it day-to-day.

I now have a vision of Trump conducting Brexit negotiations. I think I need a lie down.

I have long that that there are two advantages of the Queen system; one of which is that the person who symbolizes the nation is not a party figure, important when partisan sentiment and distrust is high. The other is that PMs can be shuffled out the door by their cabinet if their visible inadequacy gets too much (such as happened in the UK with Anthony Eden or, closer to home, in Ontario with premiers Hepburn, Robarts, and Harris). And this can even be done with the slimier sort of monarch (Edward VIII?).

However, one of my (republican in inclination) political science academic friends suggests, a monarchy denies the top spot to the ambitious A-Type personalities who normally ascend the greasy pole of politics. She regrets that most political party structures do not facilitate the ascent of the best of the nation, and that our better angels are not always in charge of our voting patterns. Sometimes the luck of the gene pool brings us better returns. Still, Mr Trump is an outlier in US politics, where their system will often end up bringing very capable candidates to the top, even the accidental ones (e.g., Harry Truman), so perhaps he is not the best example on which to build a constitution.

But perhaps this is for another thread.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[returning to what's really interesting; one of my great hopes for the future is that some day, oh! golden prospect! we will never see or hear of our current president ever, ever again, neither his image nor his voice nor his clubs nor his hotels, the full Voldemort, never spoken, tabu as the vilest and most horrible crimes are never mentioned...]

Ahem.

At what point will the guest list be made public? I assume that there has to be some lead time for invitations. If the wedding is in May, everyone who's going will know by, say, early April. You gotta give time for women to get their fascinators made, and the shoes dyed to match the gown. And, calculating back, you don't announce that list until you're pretty sure that everyone on it has accepted the invite. Which means that the invites must go out sometime in March, even February.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016