homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Churchwardens electoral roll etc. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Churchwardens electoral roll etc.
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
If only the disadvantages of establishment were balanced by an advantage of the costs of keeping open a large number of beautiful and historic churches with an almost vanished congregation.

Well quite. If only.... Because it isn't. Not sure whether you knew that or not though?
I'd have thought that the "If only" was a bit of a clue that I did in fact know that.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I did actually read it as more of a "when will those people moaning about it all be upfront about the fact all the cash helps the medicine go down....?" The ambiguity was there in my head anyway, so I wasn't entirely sure....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dug up the Church Wardens Measure 2001. Interesting.

It may have been the case that, in the past, there was one elected warden and one appointed by the incumbent. However, it seems that now, two are elected, unless provisiond of 4.5 comes into effect:
quote:

If it appears to the minister of the parish that the election of any particular person nominated might give rise to serious difficulties between the minister and that person in the carrying out of their respective functions the minister may, before the election is conducted, make a statement to the effect that only one churchwarden is to be elected by the meeting. In that event one churchwarden shall be appointed by the minister from among the persons nominated, the name of the person so appointed being announced before the election is conducted, and the other shall then be elected by the meeting.

What happens if the problematic person is then elected?

Has anyone ever known this to happen?

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
wabale
Shipmate
# 18715

- Posted      Profile for wabale   Author's homepage   Email wabale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:

It may have been the case that, in the past, there was one elected warden and one appointed by the incumbent. However, it seems that now, two are elected, unless provisiond of 4.5 comes into effect:
quote:

If it appears to the minister of the parish that the election of any particular person nominated might give rise to serious difficulties between the minister and that person in the carrying out of their respective functions the minister may, before the election is conducted, make a statement to the effect that only one churchwarden is to be elected by the meeting. In that event one churchwarden shall be appointed by the minister from among the persons nominated, the name of the person so appointed being announced before the election is conducted, and the other shall then be elected by the meeting.

Yes, please don't try this at home ... Our church lost two vicars and three churchwardens over about thirty years. They left prematurely, and two of the churchwardens involved went to live elsewhere. A ‘vicar’s warden’ or a ‘4.5’ warden wouldn’t, I think, have helped the situation. He or she would have been in an even more problematic role than our duly elected officials were. Perhaps in the past having churchwardens with different roles helped limit conflict, but nowadays I think we’re probably much better off moving heaven and earth to get vicar and PCC working as a team. The moment you start reaching for the rulebook you’ve probably already lost the plot.
Posts: 74 | From: Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged
The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:

quote:

This was precisely the point of the drafting. Where there's a breakdown between incumbent and candidate-warden, it *might* be the candidate's fault, but it might be the minister...

I know of several cases where 4.5 has been used, but have not been sufficiently closely involved to know what the outcome of the election was.

I always strongly advise against using it.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016