homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Praying and Respect

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Praying and Respect
Jude
Shipmate
# 3033

- Posted      Profile for Jude   Email Jude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was praying for a long time for somebody who I considered to be a friend to get help for a problem he had. Apart from attending a drop-in centre occasionally, he seemed to be doing nothing to help himself, but I carried on praying for him. Then something happened and sadly we fell out. He told me that he didn't want my help. I feel hurt that he has been so negative towards me, but on the other hand I want to respect his wishes. So should I stop praying for him?

--------------------
"...But I always want to know the things one shouldn’t do.”
“So as to do them?” asked her aunt.
“So as to choose,” said Isabel.
Henry James - The Portrait of A Lady

Posts: 233 | From: A town with four parishes | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that praying is asking someone else to help so not a violation of his request.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And you are still his friend, even though he may not acknowledge you as such at the moment, and you are clearly still concerned for him.

So yes, carry on praying! Just keep it between you and God...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes pray for him. lots of people get prayed for without wanting it, or knowing it often.

But yes, respect his wishes. That is so important, because it is respecting him as a human. But praying for him is not "giving him help", but - depending on your view - asking another to help, or keeping him in your mind, or seeking his best, without insisting on it.

And generally, I am not sure why you need to tell someone that you are praying for them, unless it is a natural part of a conversation.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are wanting a person to get better far more than they want to get better you may find it is time to let that person find their own personal bottom. People who are not putting in effort have not found sufficient reason to put in that effort.

Praying for them in privacy is reaching out to God yourself and is a wholly different thing. Pray if you want. What is between you and God is between you and God.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jude
Shipmate
# 3033

- Posted      Profile for Jude   Email Jude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your replies thus far, and for reassuring me that I should continue to pray for this person. I hope that one day we will be friends again, but while I, due to my Christian upbringing, want to seek forgiveness and make amends on both our parts, he is being very stubborn at present,and will not even speak to me. So it's going to be a very long haul, if we ever do get to make amends.
Posts: 233 | From: A town with four parishes | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need to unconditionally apologize.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you need to accept that this person sees jettisoning old friendships as a way of 'moving on'. Many of the motivational posts on social media advocate this approach so, although it is not something I'd personally wish to do (preferring to keep lifelong friends), I acknowledge that many people see leaving the past behind and going forward into the future involves leaving old friends behind too.

But it doesn't mean that YOU have to stop thinking about THEM.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He may not be able to interact with you and that may be entirely his issue. It isn't about you and what you do. Accepting that he is unable to do what you want him to do is the utmost act of respect. Keeping the door open on your end is all that you can do.

If you want to pray for him, I'd think that the prayer is that you would keep an open mind to the hurts and upsets of others and the ability to interact as would be a benefit to them when given the opportunity.

Not everyone stays friends for always and sometimes people have to withdraw in order to regroup. Respecting his needs and accepting who he is today is what you can do.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jude, I wish you well with your dilemma.

tortuf's point that people may need to reach their own personal bottom (and awareness of that bottom, I might add) is a good one. It makes me think of how helpful the spirituality of Twelve Step programs have been in my life.

In my experience, praying for someone is entirely a matter between me and God. On the other hand, telling people you are praying for them, whether this is done once or continually, can often be more harmful than helpful. For the person praying, I find that talking about it insidiously undercuts the other person's problem and makes everything about "me" and my unwanted prayers. I find that ego slips in unexpectedly, especially when religiosity is involved.

Your problem (as expressed in the OP) and your friend's problems are not at all the same. I know that in cases of alcoholism and addiction of a loved one Alanon can be very transformative, helping one towards new insights and strategies.

You write: "... due to my Christian upbringing, [I] want to seek forgiveness and make amends on both our parts." And then: "he is being stubborn." You might want to look more closely at your priorities here. Are they, as you wish them to be, completely devoted to your friend's situation as he is experiencing it now?

You love your friend. Perhaps you have to find new ways of imagining and expressing what this love entails.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jude:
So should I stop praying for him?

Depends what you mean by praying for him.

If that involves petitioning God in public for him to see the error of his ways and turn back to the truth, or to buck up his ideas, you probably should stop praying for him. But I imagine you wouldn't do this!

If, however, your method of praying for people you care about is to speak to God about them, asking for his blessing on them, sharing your concerns about them with God etc, I can't see how you can't not pray for him.

That would be a bit like someone saying: you see that thing I told you not to think about? Well, stop thinking about it! No, really - that thing that you shouldn't think about; don't think about it. Now!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst not suggesting this is the case in the OP, I do wonder if it is altogether wise to tell someone you are fervently praying for them in one on one situation.

We have the names of seriously ill folk occasionally read out at Church services and offered up during formal prayer. I assume the people concerned have given their permission for this to be so.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pray for your friend if it helps you.

Don’t tell him you are praying for him, he doesn’t need to know.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Pray for your friend if it helps you.

Don’t tell him you are praying for him, he doesn’t need to know.

This seems deceptive.

On the other hand, people who pray for people think they're giving the person they're praying something good. But what is it that really prayer does? In my mind, it changes or has the possibility of changing something in the person doing the praying. It does not do anything for the prayed-for person. So with this view, praying for someone who doesn't want it is fine, because it really isn't about them.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jude
Shipmate
# 3033

I have never told him that I prayed for him. It was just between me and God. I continue to pray for him as I pray for others, because he is unwell.

No prophet - if praying does nothing for those who are prayed for, how do you explain the results of a study where people in hospital got better when they were prayed for, whether they knew they were being prayed for or not?

--------------------
"...But I always want to know the things one shouldn’t do.”
“So as to do them?” asked her aunt.
“So as to choose,” said Isabel.
Henry James - The Portrait of A Lady

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am aware of no evidence that prayer does anything. There are individual studies which suggest no effect, small positive effects and small negative effects. When effects are summarised in "meta analysis" there is no detectable effect for intercessory prayer. Which as it must be, because then there would be evidence from prayer which would compel faith.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016