homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » I like trees. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I like trees.
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
That's intriguing Alan. About the bogs. Can you recommend a work?

Matthew Kelly: Quartz and Feldspar; Dartmoor, a History of a Landscape in Modern Times.

Deals with both natural peat bogs and man made clearances.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
@Simontoad, are they like this?

sort of. Hard to tell with van cough. I call them pine trees but my tree bloke reckoned they were cypresses.

I reckon the bottom two pictures on this website show the type of trees I'm talking about, well pruned.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
That's intriguing Alan. About the bogs. Can you recommend a work?

Matthew Kelly: Quartz and Feldspar; Dartmoor, a History of a Landscape in Modern Times.

Deals with both natural peat bogs and man made clearances.

Probably worth adding that when it says "Modern", that just about includes geologically!

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The article was vague on where to plant the new woodlands. But, planting on upland areas which have been devoid of trees for millenia makes very little sense - by nature they aren't areas where trees grow easily (there's a reason why there haven't been trees up there), and as you say peat bogs are already doing most of what new woodland would do (water flow management, carbon capture, wildlife havens - if not overly managed by draining). Throughout the country there are vast tracts of land where people have cleared forests in the last few centuries, reforesting those areas ahead of putting forests in areas they wouldn't naturally be.

The problem is that any sensible route between Hull and Liverpool has to go through peat-bog; especially if it is supposed to go between Leeds and Sheffield. You can check on this map.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The article was vague on where to plant the new woodlands. But, planting on upland areas which have been devoid of trees for millenia makes very little sense - by nature they aren't areas where trees grow easily (there's a reason why there haven't been trees up there), and as you say peat bogs are already doing most of what new woodland would do (water flow management, carbon capture, wildlife havens - if not overly managed by draining). Throughout the country there are vast tracts of land where people have cleared forests in the last few centuries, reforesting those areas ahead of putting forests in areas they wouldn't naturally be.

The problem is that any sensible route between Hull and Liverpool has to go through peat-bog; especially if it is supposed to go between Leeds and Sheffield. You can check on this map.

Jengie

There's also the fact that the plan isn't quite what has been trailed - there is no ambition to enforest the whole area, so much as to forest what they can - there will still be farmland, towns, peat bogs etc. Unfortunately, it has been reported (and quite possibly briefed by the govt, who knows?) as "we're going to envelop the M62 in forest.

Much like the mediaeval Sherwood Forest, a lot of it is going to be state of mind rather than actual trees. Having said that, that's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.

[ 22. January 2018, 13:38: Message edited by: betjemaniac ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@betjemaniac, excellent, thanks.

@simontoad, most probably Mediterranean cypress then, pruned from the bottom up. What's your rainfall like? Chamaecyparis lawsoniana is another strong possibility, cultivated in the UK since 1854. Cupressus macrocarpa (Monterey) is grown as an Oz farm windbreak, I doubt it's C. nootkatensis or their hybrid offspring C. × leylandii.

Close-ups of leaves and male and female cones would be good!

[ 22. January 2018, 14:15: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now, Martin - behave!

[Razz]

I like trees, though I don't possess one myself. At Our Place, we have five mature trees (two London Planes, and three Limes), all of which need attention (pollarding, pruning etc.) to keep them from annoying the neighbours by dropping leaves, twigs, bird poo etc., onto the said neighbours' cars.

The work is going to cost the PCC a fair bit of £££ (and needs to be done more frequently than has been the case in the past). If only we could just let the trees behave naturally, but in a built-up, residential, area, this isn't really on.

Perhaps (linking this thread with the OPer's earlier, now closed, thread), we should cut all spending on frivolities like sport, culture, the arts, entertainment etc., and concentrate the money on reforesting as much of the country as possible.

Jobs lost on one side might be compensated by jobs gained in the forestry industry, IYSWIM.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I doubt it's C. nootkatensis or their hybrid offspring C. × leylandii.

Leyland cypresses have alas taken over in the metropolitan area not so much as a windbreak but as tall hedges grown for 3 purposes - to give privacy , to block neighbours' views and to show that you can afford to have them trimmed quarterly. At least in this area of Sydney, the traditional sasanqua camellia hedge still plays its part, but that's only in older houses. The leylands seem compulsory in new ones. Leylands grow very rapidly, camellias much more slowly.

[ 22. January 2018, 19:39: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SecondRateMind:
Oh, and by the way, everyone, if you are wondering what on earth this politically charged issue has to do with God, it's this. It is matter of a stewardship of, rather than domination over, God's creation and providence.

Best wishes, 2RM.

And if you think every thread on the message board of The Magazine of Christian Unrest has to be defended as God related, you are mistaken. It's perfectly fine to start a discussion on aspects of climate change here without reference to God or religion. But if you want to include stewardship in the mix, that is also fine.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
I doubt it's C. nootkatensis or their hybrid offspring C. × leylandii.

Leyland cypresses have alas taken over in the metropolitan area not so much as a windbreak but as tall hedges grown for 3 purposes - to give privacy , to block neighbours' views and to show that you can afford to have them trimmed quarterly. At least in this area of Sydney, the traditional sasanqua camellia hedge still plays its part, but that's only in older houses. The leylands seem compulsory in new ones. Leylands grow very rapidly, camellias much more slowly.
Melbourne's a tad cooler but much drier than Sydney? Half the rain? So Leylands are less likely in M.? Or more prone to canker? I dunno, it thrives on Mount Kenya. But dies in 10 years in California, a bit longer in Alabama.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

[Razz]

I wish I looked like the drummer and sung like
Bill Withers

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

[Razz]

I wish I looked like the drummer and sung like
Bill Withers

The rain here varies from year to year, depending on whether we have an el nino or la nina. We are in a wet year. Here is a page about our weather. I can't make head nor tail of it.

--------------------
Human

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try living in Ukland - we have the most talked-about, and misunderstood, weather in the world!

Seriously, visitors from Foreign Parts are often gobsmacked at the sheer variety of weather they might experience in the course of a few days in (say) London.

Re trees, the bl**dy Leylandii (what is the correct singular?), often bought as a cute little thingy, about a foot high, in a pot, but later topping 20 feet or more, is an Abomination Unto The Lord.

So much so, that it has made me insert six commas into one sentence.... [Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin60, The fashion's been around for 20 years or more, but there's no sign of hedges of leylands dying, alas.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Pity, Sydney's to wet and warm!

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Shoot me in the face someone, TOO!

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only time the inhabitants of this Country really respected and nurtured large deciduous trees was when Oak became vital for ship building.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Back in 1990 I stayed with Mary, a cousin of mine in Billericay, Essex. While watching the news one night, I asked her husband Lionel which way the weather generally went. "You're not telling me the weather goes in one direction in Australia are you? It comes from everywhere here." I also embarrassed myself while out with him, pointing to a Tudor building, and saying, "I hate mock Tudor."

Lionel is long gone, but last I heard Mary was alive and well. [Votive] Their son died very young, leaving a wife and two young children. [Votive] [Votive]

[ 28. January 2018, 11:29: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

There are such things as prevailing winds. In Britain NEasters match SWesters - a third apiece - in the spring from when SW increases for 9 months to 50% and NE decreases to 20%.

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the weather we are generally getting now? This area could be the Oak Capital of the world.
This is of course only possible if we break our obsession with post war agricultural policy and grazing animals.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
There are such things as prevailing winds. In Britain NEasters match SWesters - a third apiece - in the spring from when SW increases for 9 months to 50% and NE decreases to 20%.

Poor old Lionel. I would forgive him anything.

--------------------
Human

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016