homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Demands

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Demands
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed that not only are the most demanding people given more than others ( the squeaky wheel gets the oil, blah blah) but they're usually the least grateful for what they have been given - to the extent of complaining at times that they were not given enough. I've been pondering as to the reasons for this. I'm not convinced that the more demanding people are actually more needy.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and observations. Are people happier if they have an attitude of gratitude and therefore less demanding? Are they less demanding and therefore more grateful and happier?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your desires are met you simply have more desires.

If you are grateful for what you have you have you can have peace.

If you worry about about how other people behave you will not have peace as you cannot affect their behavior by judging it.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a cause/effect issue, in that people who are satisfied with what they have are happier, and peopel who are not satisfied with what they have - and so are likely to demand more - are less happy - and so are likely to be unhappy whatever.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SecondRateMind
Shipmate
# 18898

- Posted      Profile for SecondRateMind   Email SecondRateMind   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is the 'entitlement' fallacy. Because I am rich, I deserve my riches, and as much more as I can contrive to accrue. Because I am beautiful, 'I am worth it'. (the it being cosmetics to make me more beautiful).

I have yet to be persuaded that any of us is entitled to anything, including human rights. Seems to me, having is social convention, rather than something divinely ordained and sanctioned.

Best wishes, 2RM.

[ 29. January 2018, 17:20: Message edited by: SecondRateMind ]

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
If your desires are met you simply have more desires.

If you are grateful for what you have you have you can have peace.

If you worry about about how other people behave you will not have peace as you cannot affect their behavior by judging it.

This .

The practice of Gratitude is vital. It is the only real antidote to an existence, (no matter how enriched), that is burdensome and unfulfilled.
Some might find this vague and say that those who don’t ask don’t get. But then demanding isn’t the same as asking.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't used it for a while but I used to use:

Happiness is wanting what you have not having what you want.

as a sig.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never-ending liturgical requests which are usually met the following Sunday (if I get them in before the Order of service is printed off).
I see them as positive feedback and "being involved".
I wish more people asked directly for particular wordings or brought things they'd heard of or seen in Other Shacks to their Minister's/Priest's attention

I also keep a daily Gratitude Journal and have done for a decade at least

I certainly don't see being "the Parish pest" and an attitude of gratitude as mutually exclusive

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for your thoughts.

I try to draw the line between making observations and judging people. If I understand more about why people behave that way, it helps me to relate better with them.

If we ask what people want and they reply, it is not the same thing as their making demands.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely agree that a position of gratitude for the good things is vital to happiness. Among - high among - my good things are two hip replacements which have transformed my life, mobility and ability to continue working.

However, I did have to press my GP somewhat closely to refer me in the first place - even to give me the form to fill in. It was a - shall we call it firm? - request, insistent and persistent. The hairsbreadth between that and a demand was probably the laborious if gritted teeth courtesy with which I made it.

And the consultant's response upon examining me was that of course I needed replacements. But then, he wasn't managing a budget. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a difficult topic to unpack because there are so many factors that come into play.

Some people come across as 'demanding' because they are strongly assertive and convinced nothing will happen unless they make a fuss. Or they are in situations in church groups or workplaces where they have seen other more reasonable aproaches fail.

Some have a deep (lifelong) sense of deprivation and try to voice that sense of lack all the time. Nothing ever feels like 'enough', the hungry ghost is always on the doorstep.

Some people feel they have more than enough resources and a stable sense of security, comfort etc, and so they can't be bothered to make a fuss or complain. This may be tied to a sense of plenty and even abundance in a spiritual sense so they hardly ever 'feel' the lack of material things.

Some people struggle with envy and the conviction that others have it easier. Resentment sours the demands.

Some feel invisible and unheard, and believe that unless they draw attention to themselves and create a drama around what they need, they will be overlooked or ignored.

Some find themselves in situations of extreme loneliness suffering the lack of any coping resources and are unable to ask for help from shame and terror. Or pride.

For some people the word 'No' means a profound and devastating personal rejection and it is easier not to ask for anything, ever.

Some people have great charm and a knack of getting others to discern their needs and desires and supply those wants, with very little effort.

Some hold a 'scarcity' model that dominates most of their thinking. If they don't respond assertively and urgently and make their wants known, they will be left out and there is never enough to go around.

Some feel guilty making demands and would rather avoid the discomfort most of the time and go without. They don't 'deserve' it anyway.

Some people were brought up to believe they are the least important person in the room and should take care of others first and that self-denial builds character and virtue.

Some people hate and fear conflict, assume others will say no and be angry with them simply for asking. To avoid conflict is what matters.

Some people have acquired great social skills and are adept at knowing when to ask and for what, a mix of realism, confidence and a history of demands met with success.

I've had personal experience in my own life and vicissitudes of most of these aspects.

[ 31. January 2018, 09:42: Message edited by: MaryLouise ]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! [Overused]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

I echo wow! [Overused]

Thank you MaryLouise, certainly some insights to mull over.

Talking and listening and being together is probably the only way to do relationship. Our brains, while they must be engaged, are limiters based on our prior experiences and nature/nurture. They can be too ready to categorise.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016