homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Children and parents: different approaches.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Children and parents: different approaches.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This article which reviews German versus North American parent-child issues is very interesting.

Germany- no home schooling because children have a right to be with others not their parents, they have a right to more freedom of movement, they have gov't subsidized daycare, less academic and more outdoor activity, etc.

I've felt we have it often wrong in Canada since my daughter taught in a forest school in the UK. I would like to see much more play and non-PE physical activity, and more emphasis on children versus what parents want. What do you think?

[ 08. February 2018, 17:16: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You realise that homeschooling in Germany is banned to stop Nazis, right?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Young children may know what they want yet not what they need.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Nazis, yes of course, I have posted in the past re this. That is one of the reasons, but there are now additional reasons.

There are quite different approaches to children and parenting in other places. Which is the purpose of the thread.

I have had Cree parents (indigenous people) in my office. A child wants to climb onto a low table. They tend to ignore or spot the child at most. The non-indigenous parents will prevent the child from climbing.

We had trees chopped down in a provincial park because a child had climbed and fallen. I suspect there was a settlement to the family for injuries.

I saw children a recess playing in the playground, and they were trying to go into the rink (ice, it is winter), I heard the supervising teacher tell they mustn't because of no helmets. They already won't let them throw snowballs and play shinny (hockey on the ice with your boots on, not skates). Parents protecting children via school board have created this.

Some parents let children roam and take transit or ride bicycles, some chauffeur them everywhere.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our neighbors homeschool their children. They are afraid of their kids being exposed to "humanism" in the public schools.

It is a common reason I have heard from other homeschoolers.

The local schools have become quite accommodating to kids that are homeschooled. The kids can sign up for sports teams and the music and theatre programs in the public schools.

My wife had her teaching credential valid in several states, but she never thought of homeschooling our kids. We just thought the kids were better served in the public school system.

Meanwhile, my four-year-old grandson already reads at a second-grade level, It is funny to hear him explain how the dinosaurs disappeared. He loves astronomy. And this is not because his parents are homeschooling him. He just picks up everything so fast.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
There are quite different approaches to children and parenting in other places. Which is the purpose of the thread.

You might be interested to hear of a bit of a movement taking place in New Zealand at the moment. Swanson Primary School took part in a University study looking at modifying playground environments in an attempt to reduce bullying and obesity, and then they just kind of ran with it, and did away with all playground rules (and much of their playground equipment), and let the kids do whatever they liked during playtimes, as long as they weren't fighting each other. (Here's a link to a news segment on it, from an Australian broadcaster No rules school ).

It's captured the attention of some other schools across the country, who are incorporating (usually to a slightly lesser extent) some of the principles they've established. The school my children now go to is one of these schools. I was a bit suspicious about the whole thing when we first rocked up, but I'm right behind it now. The school does have some maintained areas like a playing field, some garden beds, and a couple of traditional playgrounds, but there's a large (?3 acres, maybe?) future expansion area behind the classrooms which is just wilderness. In the past, children were not allowed to play down there. Now, they're encouraged to. They're allowed to dig holes, burrow through the blackberry and lupins, they're provided with discarded wooden pallets, old tyres, lengths of novacoil, and those big wooden reels that steel cable comes on, and left to get on with it. The really interesting thing seems to be (and I only know what I'm told by my own kids, here), that this sort of disorganised play can incorporate children of all ages, with the bigger ones sort of looking out for the little ones. One downside is they do come home extremely dirty, but over time I've relaxed my stance on that as well and only insist on showers if they smell or if they're grimy enough to be leaving smears all over my chairs (they don't like washing - hey, they're kids).

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I saw children a recess playing in the playground, and they were trying to go into the rink (ice, it is winter), I heard the supervising teacher tell they mustn't because of no helmets. They already won't let them throw snowballs and play shinny (hockey on the ice with your boots on, not skates). Parents protecting children via school board have created this.

More likely it's lawyers protecting the school board from the parents' lawsuits.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or insurers not wanting to pay out.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Perhaps preventing lawsuits as is done with workers compensation schemes?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a child in the 50s and 60s I walked a mile and a half to and from school. Those were the days when all parents needed to know was where you were going and when you would be coming back. It's rather different now, with horrific tales of child abduction and worse. I'm always glad to hear of children being allowed to play as we used to, climbing trees, getting wet and muddy (inevitably) and even picking up the odd graze or two.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the edge of the council estate where we lived till I was seven there was a stream, known as West Beck (dialect for stream in the NE of UK), bordered by willow trees which we used to try to climb. Somewhere along it was an old-fashioned cobblestone bridge known as Devil's Bridge. I wonder now if that name has any relation to the folk tales of trolls living underneath bridges as in Billy Goats Gruff

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have had Cree parents (indigenous people) in my office. A child wants to climb onto a low table. They tend to ignore or spot the child at most. The non-indigenous parents will prevent the child from climbing.

IMO, this is an issue of respect for property, not safety. My children climb all sorts of things, but I would be unlikely to let them climb the tables in your office because I don't want them to put their outdoor shoes on your surface. I might make an exception for a baby who doesn't have / isn't wearing outdoor shoes.

I'm a little nervous about letting them go too far from home by themselves in public, because the thing I'm afraid of happening is that some idiot calls the police / DCFS because "There's a child! By itself! Nobody is looking after it!" and I have absolutely no interest in dealing with any of that nonsense. Because exactly that has happened to a number of people I consider responsible parents allowing their children an appropriate amount of freedom and responsibility.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016