homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Nativity Play   » Scene 5: The Census Cometh (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Scene 5: The Census Cometh
Musical Director

Nativity Play
# 3651

- Posted      Profile for Musical Director   Author's homepage   Email Musical Director   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Inland Revenue P45 and CIS25 Form Registration Closing Date: 24th December

So the Wise Guys have sped off in search of the Star (and some decent gags) and Mary is Christmas shopping. In the meantime, Joseph receives an important letter...

--------------------
ChrisT sez: *sigh* Let's take it once more from the top...

Posts: 284 | From: The Bandstand | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Narrator

Nativity Play
# 3680

- Posted      Profile for Narrator     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr Joseph Carpenter
The Workshop
Artisan Street
Nazareth

Dear Mr Carpenter

Great Caesar Augustus
Has made a decree
That all of the world
Must pay him a fee.

In order to do this
He’s passed a new law
Back to your home town
You must withdraw.

It says it quite clearly
In paragraph three
Clause number twelve
Subsection D.

You have to be present
And the census form sign
In the ancestral city
Of your family line.

You will be fined
If you do not obey
Caesar’s instruction
By Christmas Day.

Yours sincerely

Matthew Levi
Imperial Inspector of Taxes

PS

If you think this is bad
Just wait and see.
Our next cunning plan’s
The taxation of tea.

--------------------
Chapelhead

Posts: 90 | From: Prompt corner | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evil Henchman

Nativity Play
# 3705

- Posted      Profile for Evil Henchman   Email Evil Henchman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evil Henchman strides in and blows a loud whistle

Alright you horrible lot, listen up.

Shut up Martha.

Herod knows where you liven already. But now he's decided he wants to know a lot more about you - how many bathrooms; who doesn't worship him; what your average monthly income is; grandfather's name (if your mother wasn't sure, put "I am the child of the village bike").

And, because Herod is an evil bastard, there's an extra twist. You must all go back to the town of your tribe to hand the census forms in [Big Grin]

Form an orderly queue here for forms. And don't sneak off John, or I'll have to burn your house down.

Henchman begins handing out forms and ticking people off her list

--------------------
I've left my toasting fork with my alternate personality Sarkycow.

Posts: 118 | From: The Guardhouse | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Musical Director

Nativity Play
# 3651

- Posted      Profile for Musical Director   Author's homepage   Email Musical Director   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
time for some 'Carmina Burana' methinks...

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

- Posted      Profile for Joseph   Author's homepage   Email Joseph   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dashes onstage muttering apologies for tardiness.

Ay carumba! What's this? A census? Good grief, how bad.

Oh, and a henchman too!

Gosh!

Looks around, trying to work out what on earth's going on.

--------------------
Joseph, the not-so-Jesuitical ex-Lad.

Posts: 177 | From: Palestine | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Herod

Nativity Play
# 3649

- Posted      Profile for Herod   Author's homepage   Email Herod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<Enters stage left, reading from a papyrus>

It seems that Augustus has decreed that a census must take place. God, the man's a fool. Does he think I have nothing better to do than count people?

Honestly, I have slaves to whip, orgies to organise, and sheep, angels and an incredibly annoying cat of which to dispose. Where does he think I'll find the time to do this too?

Boy!

<a slave boy enters>

Pass this on to Quirrinus at the Department of Boring. Should keep him busy for a while.

<Herod screws up the papyrus and throws it at the slave boy who scrambles to pick it up and runs off>

Now... about that bloody cat...

<Exits stage right>

--------------------
#I'm Herod the Great, I am, I am.#

Stoo

Posts: 159 | From: Palestine | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

- Posted      Profile for chief stage manager   Email chief stage manager   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*receives papyrus from panic stricken slave boy backstage, and places it on props table.

--------------------
The original bessie rosebride.

Posts: 148 | From: stage left amongst the props | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

- Posted      Profile for Joseph   Author's homepage   Email Joseph   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I suppose I'd better get packing.

*ahem*

Pack. As in, with a suitcase. Yes, a suitcase would certainly be useful...

Waits for prop to appear.

--------------------

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

- Posted      Profile for chief stage manager   Email chief stage manager   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Voici! suitcase.

--------------------

Posts: 148 | From: stage left amongst the props | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

now I suppose he's wanting some stuff to pack in the suitcase....i have no walk on character to be waiting on Joe hand and foot!

--------------------

Angel 1

Nativity Play
# 3661

- Posted      Profile for Angel 1   Email Angel 1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herod:
sheep, angels and an incredibly annoying cat of which to dispose.

surely not disposing of angels?!

A

--------------------
Jenny Ann smiles sweetly

Posts: 100 | From: Heaven/bethlehem/the angelic dressing room/on stage | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

alrighty then.

(Pretending to be slave girl...walks onstage...)

Master, you'll need to be packing soon, so I brought all your things. Do you need aftershave?

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

Snatches suitcase.

Gosh, a glamorous trip to Bethlehem. Mary's going to be pretty annoyed. Well, I'd better start packing... hmmm... let's see now.

I'll need:
my BJT 123 iron jack/smoothing plane with wooden handle
my XZ45 double open end chrome plated carbon steel spanner
my BJ1370 push-type grease gun
my Block'n'Griffin quick-action G-clamp

Well, that should be enough for now. Might chuck in a couple of shirts too - although the BVM really should have ironed these better.

I wonder what she's up to?

--------------------

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep

Nativity Play
# 3667

- Posted      Profile for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep   Email Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rudolph on phone with his lawyer. If Herod is thinking of disposing of the sheep, he's gonna have to deal with a lawsuit from the SPCA, PETA, and Mutton Anti-Defamation League.

--------------------
I may be just a purple sheep with a funny nose, but ThatsMrJuice 2U!

Posts: 110 | From: The Sheep Shed | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Herod

Nativity Play
# 3649

- Posted      Profile for Herod   Author's homepage   Email Herod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep:
Rudolph on phone with his lawyer. If Herod is thinking of disposing of the sheep, he's gonna have to deal with a lawsuit from the SPCA, PETA, and Mutton Anti-Defamation League.

I think you'll find he owns them. (at least the Palestinian versions)

One of the many advantages of being corrupt.

--------------------

Stoo

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

And yes, slavegirl, I want aftershave too. Get the tools first, though.

--------------------

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph:

I'll need:
my BJT 123 iron jack/smoothing plane with wooden handle
my XZ45 double open end chrome plated carbon steel spanner
my BJ1370 push-type grease gun
my Block'n'Griffin quick-action G-clamp

Well, that should be enough for now. Might chuck in a couple of shirts too - although the BVM really should have ironed these better.

All are available on the props table. Please pick them up on your next exit stage left. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

- Posted      Profile for Virgin Mary   Author's homepage   Email Virgin Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary, wrapped up in a blue coat with matching pale blue scarf and woolly hat, struggles onto the stage, carrying ten packed carrier bags which she deposits on the floor with a sigh

Well, whoever would have thought I'd have caught an earlier camel-train home? Thank goodness for that.. my feet are killing me. Kicks off blue suede shoes Hey Joseph, I have saved a fortune. Look at this little layette - Father Christmas babygro, booties, hat and bib - two for the price of one, which was handy. And this little suitcase was on special offer - I thought it might come in handy for the honeymoon. What do you think? Oh, and I saw this lovely blue dress in the maternity department in.... er...Joe? What's wrong??? You look harrassed?

--------------------
Can you have a white wedding in blue?
(Smudgie)

Posts: 287 | From: Down the road from the carpenter's shop, Nazareth | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

Exits stage left.

Slaps stage manager.

--------------------

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph:
And yes, slavegirl, I want aftershave too. Get the tools first, though.

reconsiders. . .. onstage actresses are in a higher pay grade than stage managers.

Joseph, sir. Here are the tools you require, freshly ironed shirts, and your favorite aftershave, Manly Man.

Anything else?

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

Runs onstage.

No, thanks, that'll be quite enough, you smelly little slavegirl.

Shoves stage manager offstage.

Mary! Dearest! What a wonderful little assortment of things. I'm afraid I have some bad news, though. You see, an angel has informed me that I am to bear a child...

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

- Posted      Profile for Virgin Mary   Author's homepage   Email Virgin Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not you too???? [Confused]

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Posts: 287 | From: Down the road from the carpenter's shop, Nazareth | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

No, I'm just being silly. Seriously though, take a look at this letter...

Hands BVM letter.

It's not great timing, I know, what with the little sprogs about to pop out and all. But doesn't look like we get much of a say in the matter.

Oh, and iron some shirts, wench. [Cool]

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

You've got to be joking? This can't be true???
Oh Joseph, however are we going to cope? travel all the way to Bethlehem??? It's no good, we can't go. I have an antenatal class on Tuesday, I'm having my hair done Friday and I've booked a massage on Saturday morning. There's nothing for it. You'll just have to write to him and say we can't go. I'm pregnant!

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

Oh, and funny you should mention shirts, darling.. I got these - if you bought two, you got 30% off. I thought they were a real bargain.

--------------------
(Smudgie)

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

in a stage whisper to Mary...

He was complaining about your ironing before you arrived. You'll be wanting this flatiron. Be careful, it's hot!
[Frown]

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

The shirts are great! Apart from the pink one. You can take that back. I'll be damned if I'm going to walk around town looking like a wooft...

Stops mid-word. Glances nervously at disapproving Director.

Anyway, as I was saying, it might give the wrong impression.

Oh, and the trip is non-negotiable. Pregnant or no, we all have to go. So get packing!

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

In a stage whisper to chief stage manager
Complaining about my ironing??? OUCH! MY FINGER!

--------------------
(Smudgie)

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

Yes, he was. And far be it from me to gossip, but he slapped me backstage. He's one to look out for, that Joseph. Careful. Both of him and the iron.

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

You don't like the pink? [Frown] I rather liked the thought of you in pink. It'd complement my blue dress perfectly, and it accentuates that little dimple in your cheek that I love so much... the one your beard just doesn't quite cover...

Ahem.. packing?

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

Yes, packing! I've got the suitcase out - now put in my things, your things, the babies' things, and the cat.

Don't forget the cat.

We may get peckish en route.

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

Er, darling, this suitcase seems to have been confused with your toolbox. I'll just put these things in the workshop for you and get a few clothes together. WOuld you put the kettle on for me, dearest, I'm dying for a drink and a sit down.

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

Erm, Virgin sweetest... those tools are coming with us. And I'm not lugging my lead toolbox around Palestine just so you can shove a couple of extra dresses in. One dress will be quite enough for you.

I'll go and make some tea. Am I not merciful?

--------------------

Angel 1

Nativity Play
# 3661

- Posted      Profile for Angel 1   Email Angel 1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
does anyone need any help packing?

A

--------------------
Jenny Ann smiles sweetly

Posts: 100 | From: Heaven/bethlehem/the angelic dressing room/on stage | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

quote:
Originally posted by Angel 1:
does anyone need any help packing?

A

Yes!

Oh, do you want tea too?

--------------------

Stable Cat

Nativity Play
# 3657

- Posted      Profile for Stable Cat   Email Stable Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*stable cat wanders in, spots open suitcase with nice cozy clothing, climbs in and curls up for a nap*

puuuuuuuurrrrrrrr........

--------------------
nicolemrw says "meow!"

Posts: 85 | From: the stable | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

The tools are coming with us? But there really won't be room...and surely you won't be needing those en route. I can't manage on just one dress. We're bound to be staying in a high class hotel - what on earth will they say if I turn up for dinner in the same dress as I was wearing at breakfast? And besides, I have to make the most of the generous wardrobe budget Simon has allowed me for this show.... (oops, forgot I wasn't supposed to mention that!)

Now, let me see.... we're going to need 25 sets of clothes for the babies, 50 terry nappies (to save on washing), safety pins, towels, blankets, travel cot, baby bottles, steriliser... oh, and I got this pram half price with the baby bath - a real bargain.....

--------------------
(Smudgie)

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

quote:
Originally posted by Virgin Mary:
Now, let me see.... we're going to need 25 sets of clothes for the babies, 50 terry nappies (to save on washing), safety pins, towels, blankets, travel cot, baby bottles, steriliser... oh, and I got this pram half price with the baby bath - a real bargain.....

All available on the props table. For you, Virgin Mary, I'll deliver. [Wink]

--------------------

Musical Director

Nativity Play
# 3651

Sorry I'm late! G-string got wrapped around a tuning peg the wrong way...

Time for some 'Shopping' by the Pet Shop Boys

--------------------

Musical Director

Nativity Play
# 3651

But I've had a better idea: all together now

a-one, a-two, a-three and-a-four...

*sings* 'We're all going on a <thump> Summer Holiday...'

[Ahem...]

[ 13. December 2002, 21:22: Message edited by: Musical Director ]

--------------------

Herod

Nativity Play
# 3649

quote:
Originally posted by Musical Director:
Sorry I'm late! G-string got wrapped around a tuning peg the wrong way...

Fnar fnar.

Oh, by the way, somebody shut and lock that suitcase.

--------------------

Stoo

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

Casts a grateful smile at the Chief Stage Manager and a sideways scowl at the Musical Director and sets about packing the suitcase

What's it like in Bethlehem this time of year, Joey love? Do you think I'll need my blue bikini and sunhat, or should I pack my blue thermals?

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

quote:

Okay, I'll concede the dresses thing - remind me to book ahead for the hotels, by the way. You can take a few. Make sure they're nice ones, though. And don't take that green one. It makes you look fat. Although...

As for the rest of this baby stuff: no way! The kids don't need nappies. Heck, will they even be going to the toilet? Does the divine go to the toilet? I doubt it. And forget the pram too. If this kid's omniscient and omnipotent, as I have no doubt later Christology will assert, then he can walk on his own two legs.

Honestly, do I have to do all the thinking around here?

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

But....

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Angel 1

Nativity Play
# 3661

erm, I love a tea, loads of milk, no sugar (sweet enough!).

right. packing wise, the key is to pack a capsule wardrobe, make sure everything goes with everything else, and don't take more than you need.

A

--------------------
Jenny Ann smiles sweetly

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

Right, that's the first two suitcases filled with the tools and the baby stuff..... now, for my dresses. Which ones do you think, love... Hey, I must show you the one I bought in Mothercare this afternoon. It was 20% off so I saved a fortune! Shall I go and slip it on and give you a twirl?

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

quote:
But....

But what?

Here's your tea, by the way. Made just the way you like it. And Angel 1! A cup for you too.

--------------------

Musical Director

Nativity Play
# 3651

There is only one song for this situation:

Hey Honey - I'm Packing You In! by Bryan Adams

--------------------

Virgin Mary

Nativity Play
# 3653

Erm...er...Joseph

I don't drink tea!

--------------------
(Smudgie)

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

You know how I love to see you twirl! Go on!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  New poll  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016