homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Cancer SUCKS (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cancer SUCKS
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sucketh mightily.

My sister has finished her second round of chemo and has been put on Zejula for life or until she can't tolerate the side effects. The nurses say if she makes it through the first month it'll be much better.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know that one. What are the side effects?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14683 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not as bad as rhubarb gin.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16899 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From memory, just about everything. GI problems and leukemia (! rare, though) are what sticks in my mind.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

I wish I'd heard you say that four years ago when I was doing the toxic chemo performance. A hellishly unfunny experience otherwise.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 886 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only things worse than the effects of having chemo are the effects of not being able to have chemo.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend has an aggressive stage 4 cancerous brain tumour, discovered while on holiday on a break from her PhD studies. She's 25. Devastatingly unfair, particularly as cancer has stalked her family before. Fuck cancer.

A mix of [Mad] and [Votive] .

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5314 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Dammit, Pomona. I'm so sorry.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Pomona's friend)) - hope she'll pardon the liberty...

[Votive] and [Mad] indeed.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9191 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

I wish I'd heard you say that four years ago when I was doing the toxic chemo performance. A hellishly unfunny experience otherwise.
I utterly inadequately apologize.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16899 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

My PSA's down to 7.2 - another six months without the perineal biopsy! That's used to wake the dead.

--------------------
Love wins

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine was diagnosed with oral cancer at the beginning of this month. She went into surgery last week, and they took out most of her tongue and 14 lymph nodes. All of these were discovered to be malignant. In one week she has moved from state 1 to stage 4 cancer. She is ferociously writing as fast as she can, beating off the nurses in hopes of finishing her novel before the chemo and radiation flake her out. She has refused to consider death.
The only thing I can think of to do is to solicit prayers for her over in Heaven. (She lives on the West Coast so there is no chance of seeing her.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5676 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the speed with which some cancers operate that's really scary.

One of my neighbours, some years ago, went to the doctor about a cough he couldn't shake off. Apart from that, he was (apparently) fit and active, and only in his mid-60s. After a short while, lung cancer was diagnosed, and three weeks later, he died. That was one aggressive bastard of a cancer, no?

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 9191 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have, only last week, been told of a 54-year old woman (the daughter of a former church member) who had a scan in the New Year which was fine - she had had a tumour in her breast years ago. Then, just this month, she was diagnosed with an aggressive liver cancer and died a fortnight later. Horrendous.
Posts: 9430 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I went for a brought-forward apt from January. I wanted to know much more about why an op was not recommended. It seems that the breast tumour is not doing anything, except shrinkiing a bit, and not going anywhere, so I am reassured that it is better to take the Letrozole. She (the doctor) said that after a year or two, I could be discharged as an out-patient. Always with the option of an op if things change. Sort of good news I suppose! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 2945 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

That seems to be the usual best outcome SusanDoris. One year, month, week, day, hour, moment at a time.

--------------------
Love wins

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Indeed. No one knows the day or the hour when it will rear up and bite us again. But I've become pretty aggressive about bugging my docs when something feels wrong.

(Get your flu shot, everybody!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin60 and Rossweisse

Thank you for posting. I think that having cancer certainly makes one appreciate each new day just that little bit more.
Having this thread to post on is a good thing.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, indeed.

@Rossweisse - Yes, Ma'am! My GP's first flu clinic is fully booked, so hopefully I'll get a place in the next one.

IJ

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
...Having this thread to post on is a good thing.

It gets a bit heavenly from time to time (candles, even!), but I appreciate the hostly tolerance we've been shown.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
...My GP's first flu clinic is fully booked, so hopefully I'll get a place in the next one.

Make it so.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that Hell is the only place you could have this thread, because fuck cancer.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 8854 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Fuck cancer and the broken-down nag it rode in on.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Get your flu shot, everybody!
I was thoughtfully given both my seasonal flu shot and my 10-year tetanus booster - because I was in the hospital anyway, getting a CAT scan to ensure I merely bruised my spleen instead of rupturing it when I separated my shoulder, broke my shoulder blade, broke rib #3 and bruised 4 others, and collected a concussion. #mountainbikingisfun

Still infinitely better than cancer. Fuck cancer.

Posts: 15149 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, yikes, RooK. That sounds awful. Are you doing better now?

I got my flu shot on Monday, ahead of the crowd. One bright side to living with Stage IV cancer: My internist's office reserves a dose of the super-duper flu vaccine for me when it comes in, and someone calls and asks me when I'm coming in for it. They don't mess around.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Bright side! [Killing me]

--------------------
Love wins

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
ISTM that Hell is the only place you could have this thread, because fuck cancer.

A-fucking-men.

Praying for all.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Bright side! [Killing me]

We takes our bright sides where we finds 'em.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, and these seemingly small things do matter. The staff at my GP surgery, and at our local village pharmacy, all know me now, and address me by my first name. In an increasingly isolating world, these points of human contact are welcome.

It's just a shame that one has to be fucking ill, though. There, I used the f-word, coz this is Hell, and I'm allowed to!

IJ

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

All the regular oncology nurses at the cancer center know me by the name I actually use. I have colleagues at work who don't remember.

(Always be friendly and polite, even when you feel like crap. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it pays off in the long run.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Are you doing better now?

Well, it's only been a few days, but I'm confident that I'll be back to risking life and limb on my bike in 6-8 weeks. BUT, it is awfully annoying that the very elbow that caused the splenic hematoma needs to continue to grind against it because my shoulder is immobilized. Feels rather like sporting a massive black eye, and getting to have the goon's fist continually grating in your face for weeks afterwards.

Still better than cancer. Fuck cancer.

[ 28. September 2017, 23:11: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15149 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Nice bike!

I am reminded of how (mostly) fortunate I am in the health department when I go in for my regular ScanFests (bones, brains, innards) seeking after tumors. One of the many, many forms shoved at me each time is a solid page, in 11-point type, of Things You Might Have, from heart problems to diabetes to prostate (not my issue) to lung issues.

Really, all that I have to complain about at this point (knock on wood - my skull will do) is a mild case of rosacea (you can't be too rich or too thin, but you can be too fair-skinned), a worsening case of scoliosis, and... Stage IV breast cancer, metastasized to my sacrum, hip, and cerebral cortex. (We zapped the last of these, but it left me having trouble counting when singing. I'm working on it, though, and it seems to be getting better. And I'm still singing, although I don't think I want to solo anymore.)

But I'm still working (part-time now), I'm still traveling, I'm still driving, I'm about to rediscover what it's like to live independently, and I am daily reminded of how many people have things worse than I do.

Deo gratias for all good gifts. Still, cancer sucks massively, and that's an understatement.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck cancer, it killed both my parents.

Some people just take things for granted. A woman I overheard was complaining that she had to go to the other side of town (maybe half an hour by car) for a free mammogram because it interrupted her life. I was sooo tempted to interrupt and ask how much breast cancer would interrupt her life.

I've only ever had benign lumps, but I remember the uncertainty and the fear, and the support from so many people.

[Votive] for everyone posting on this thread, whether for themselves or others.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10124 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In an increasingly isolating world, these points of human contact are welcome.

My friend has just come out in public after a four month round of chemo followed by dangerously low white count, followed by more chemo etc.

His first outing was to our book club where, with tears in his eyes, he thanked all of us for the cards and phone calls and said that, for him, the very worst thing about cancer was the feeling of isolation.

Yesterday he came over for lunch, where he found sitting up at the table too uncomfortable, so he ended up eating in the recliner where he got so comfy he stayed for four hours, just so happy to have a change of scenery and people to talk to. I was near tears a few times just seeing how much human contact means to a gregarious, retired teacher who lives alone.

[Tear]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What awesome people.

Except Rook of course.

--------------------
Love wins

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

I was just wondering - does anyone here know where I could find statistical data on number of women with breast tumour who are on Letrozole and are 'doing well'?? I thought I would try phoning the ONS next week as it would be interesting to know.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was just wondering - does anyone here know where I could find statistical data on number of women with breast tumour who are on Letrozole and are 'doing well'?? I thought I would try phoning the ONS next week as it would be interesting to know.

Susan, I don't think you'll get anyone who knows the answer if you "phone up the Office of National Statistics" - unless you know for certain that there are official statistics about this medical condition. I doubt that there are.

I'd have thought that you'd be better to look up the statistics in the official medical repository the eMC.

I am not a doctor or a medical statistician, but it appears to me that the numbers you are looking for are in Table 4, halfway down that link.

--------------------
arse

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The statistics may be interesting, but remember that by their nature, they draw a very broad picture. Each one of us is a single data point, ranging from the poor sod down in the bottom left corner of the survival graph to the happy winner over on the right. Hardly anyone sits right on the curve. The first question any cancer patient asks is, "What is my life expectancy?", followed by "How well does this drug work?" The honest oncologist will give very guarded answers. Had my share of that stuff.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 886 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not in the same league as the other stories here, but cancer none-the-less. My cat Bjorn that I've been writing about on the prayer thread and the animal companions thread in All Saints,probably has lymphoma.

This sucks, sucks sucks.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11663 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
...This sucks, sucks sucks.

It does. I lost a dear little cat, Despina, to a brain tumor when she was only 9. (She stopped eating; we tried giving her antibiotics mixed with baby cereal - there was an infant in the house at the time - via syringe down the throat. She did put on some weight, but then stopped again because it wasn't an infection but a tumor.) Is there a treatment?

As for meds such as Letrozole, they will often work for a time and then stop, for no discernible reason. Letrozole and I got along for about a year before it quit.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

mr cheesy, Stercus Tauri, Nicolemr, Rossweisse

Thank you for your replies.

Thank you for the link and the information, mr cheesy, I will look that uptoday.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thing I have learnt in the last couple of years:

- What's true for one's not true for another
- It's usually best not to know
- Sufficient onto the day is the evil thereof

Posts: 17249 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Thing I have learnt in the last couple of years:

- What's true for one's not true for another
- It's usually best not to know
- Sufficient onto the day is the evil thereof

The various links have all sorts of information, but statistics seem to be elusive. For me personally, knowing all , with no euphemisms or softening of facts is what I want to know. It would be something of a shock, but I'd rather face the shock and deal with it. I had an aunt who did just that. I hope I could follow her example.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The various links have all sorts of information, but statistics seem to be elusive. For me personally, knowing all , with no euphemisms or softening of facts is what I want to know. It would be something of a shock, but I'd rather face the shock and deal with it. I had an aunt who did just that. I hope I could follow her example.

From the link I posted above:

The 5-year Disease-Free Survival (DFS) rates were 84% for letrozole and 81.4% for tamoxifen.

There is some other information, but that seems to be the overall message.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Of course, you'd need to discuss this with your doctor to understand exactly how it relates to your situation.

--------------------
arse

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sensible advice, but I guess most of us with cancer, tumours, etc. have actually thought of that ourselves.

IJ

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Of course, you'd need to discuss this with your doctor to understand exactly how it relates to your situation.

And so I have, and continue to do.

Different medications also have different side effects, and different people are affected by them (yes!) differently. But I'm hoping it never comes to tamoxifen for me from what I've heard about it.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

One or two of the meds I'm on now have the potential side-effect of 'death', so it's as well to read the small print, along with talking to one's GP and/or consultant!

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Sensible advice, but I guess most of us with cancer, tumours, etc. have actually thought of that ourselves.

IJ

For sure, I was just meaning that the quoted statistics might not necessarily apply directly to your situation - which appeared to be information that Susan was asking for.

--------------------
arse

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
But I'm hoping it never comes to tamoxifen for me from what I've heard about it.

I took tamoxifen for four years after removal of a stage one breast tumor. I didn't have any side effects for the first two years. Then I developed muscle aches; I already had digestive problems, and something, maybe tamoxifen, made them worse. It's almost six months since I went off tamoxifen, and I still have the muscle aches and the digestive problems.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20205 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'm sorry to hear that, Moo. (It affected a friend of mine so badly that she gave up on it after just a couple of months.) I'm hoping my Ibrance pills keep working for me, since tamoxifen is one of the possibilities my oncologist has mentioned if/when it stops.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016